The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Would you care enough?

If a great evil befel the land we now live in and I was chosen to do something that may or may not save us from this evil would you care enough to follow, to stick with me through the bad and good? I doubt many people would have the strength to do so, I'm not even sure if I have, but I'm sure I would try. Try with every ounce of strength in my body to help people I've never met and never will meet. You've never met me but would you be willing to risk everything for me? Do you think you have the strength of Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli? Could you do it? Would you even try?

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I dont know, probably wouldn't unless something happened to me like my loved ones were killed or something personal. Though I might be able to spur myself to great feets! I'd like to think I could but if it came who knows!
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PS. My loved ones were killed by this great enemy.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #4
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would, but only on the following conditions:
1) That my family and/or friends were fatally harmed by this evil.
2) That myself, family/friends would be fatally harmed by this evil.
3) If this evil would result in a 180 degree change in my life, and for the worse,i.e. loss of basic freedoms.
Just for the heck of it, no way! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2002, 12:50 AM   #5
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Personally, I believe that a great evil has already befallen this world but very few know of its existence; it is far too subtle to be seen so clearly. I know already that I can do nothing against it, that I didn't even know of it's existence until I met and asked for the help of a certain Someone. (Three guesses Who it is! C'mon, guess! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

I admit, though, that, knowing me, I wouldn't do much to help defeat the evil you refer to, muffin_goddess, at least, not kowingly. But then again, maybe I would. I can't really say. Whatever I did do to help, though, you can be certain that the above mentioned Someone would be behind it all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Rosa, um, would Someone be Iluvatar? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. (To be honest, I'm wondering what the secret evil is, actually...probably shouldn't get the real world into this thread, though...)

This sort of thing is always like asking "What if you were in occupied France?" or something along those lines. I hope I'd fight the evil out of sheer altruism and take the saving of people I'd never meet as sufficient reward, and of course it would be. To be honest though, I can easily see myself trying to duck out of harm's way as long as the evil wasn't (a) coming after me or people I knew personally or (b) trying to conscript me (trying to forcibly enrol me to be Chief Assistant to the Mouth of Sauron, something like that where I'd be actively helping perpetrate its deeds). Then I would fight it - probably by sabotage. It would be difficult to find the resolve though, and it would take a lot of faith just to avoid despairing, if it were anything like the evils I'm thinking of...
Old 03-23-2002, 03:24 AM   #7
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">I think I'd do everything I could to stop it if it affected me personally.
Otherwise... *shrugs shoulders* who cares?
Old 03-23-2002, 04:48 AM   #8
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Everyone likes to think they'd help, but in the face of adversity, we don't really know what we'd do. I'd hope I'd give my all to help you muffin_goddess, but I can't really say which way I'd be. Although, I can say that I don't need personal motivation to get off my butt and help. Just knowing there's evil is enough. Like in today, I can really do nothing because of my young age and because of the location I'm in. (Canada) What good can I do from Canada? What good can I do if I can't even leave the house without my parents jumping down my throat? My point is, I want to help, but can I? Can I endure such hardships? I doubt I could, though the hope still remains in me that I would. Could, would, should. Stupid, stupid words. Making me all confuzzled.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 06:55 AM   #9
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I was in a really morbid mood last night and I think I know what Rosa's "secret evil" is and I'd just had it shoved down my throught and was feeling very guilty because I couln't do anything. I do hope though that I would not need personal motivation to try but untill something happens you never know... *sigh* you never know!

Old 03-24-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Quote:
Rosa, um, would Someone be Iluvatar? . (To be honest, I'm wondering what the secret evil is, actually...probably shouldn't get the real world into this thread, though...)
Oh, He goes by lots of names. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Iluvatar, Aslan, Sion, Jesu, Yhwh, Jeshua... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (I was refering to God. I like being weird that way.)

I guess I'll let the "secret evil" out of the bag but I'm thinking this'll make people laugh because most people don't take him seriously at all anymore. I was refering to Satan/Lucifer. I won't go any deeper than that since I'm likely to offend someone if I do.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:52 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i would probably be as conflicted as Boromir. hopefully, i would figure out the 'right' thing to do before i endangered the quest.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #12
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

*Gives a grand round of applause for Rosa* I totally agree with you Rosa. I most certainly do believe in God and Satan. But I am so happy that someone like you came out and said it! Satan works very slowly and unnoticeably most always so that we do not see the evil that is befalling our world! I am not offended by people who talk about their religious beliefs. Even if they are not what I believe! Thank you Rosa! Don't give up your faith! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:05 PM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Rosa, don't worry about it - I don't think Tolkien fans tend to be the sort of people who heap scorn on the idea of a perennial evil or Satan. It is the sort of thing which is worst when it perniciously hard to notice - what was it Lewis said about the road the Hell being the smooth one without signposts? Screwtape Letters, I think.

This does tie into the discussion somewhat, though, since when we're talking about resisting an evil that arose, most of us (me included) would only really feel driven to fight it if it came after us in its starkest and most obvious form, threatening us to the point where basically our only option was to fight directly or die. It's when things get slowly worse and worse but well, you can live with it that is probably the worst state to be in.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #14
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I would like to think i would - I thought about this and I guess i've always believed that I have that kind of "inner strength" - but whether I actually would is another matter.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:22 PM   #15
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
The Eye

uh.... Rosa you offended me lol [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I think that you are right about the stuggle against satan

I'm sure i would be willing to go on whatever quest would be needed to save this world until it got tough i.e. battle, terrain, lack of food etc.
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:32 PM   #16
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

Sting

whoops, I'd just had polution deforistation etc. etc. shoved in my face and knew that what ever we try to do now it won't help because the damage is done thats my "secret evil" but I suppose everyone has their own "secret evil"

Old 03-24-2002, 04:47 PM   #17
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

The problem with waiting until something affects you personally is that by that time the opportunity to stop whatever it is may have already passed.

If you wait too long you'll end up powerless and alone and there will be nobody left to help you.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:58 AM   #18
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I was in a place like the Shire, completely oblivious to the danger, I don't think I'd do anything. If I was in the position of any of the 4 hobbits, I think I would go on the Quest and try and help... But you can't really tell unless you're in that position.
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 01:11 PM   #19
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Of this I am sure: I would fight for all, fight for justice. I would fight for the side that I felt in my heart was right. In reality as well as the Elf I am on here, I believe that one life, or even 10, can be spared if a greater good is acheived. I also believe that death is only the beginning (they stole my saying in "The Mummy" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ). Well, that is my point of view. I would do anything. As long as it was for good.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #20
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
The Eye

Hope I will...... the other option is go to the evil side
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #21
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You didn't offend me either, Rosa. Those of us who follow Jesus battle the dark evil every day. But, we have Ilśvatar on our side, and we shall prevail!
Anyhoo...it usually doesn't take long for some powerful evil to affect you personally; unless of course, you are oblivious to it. OK...now I am rambling. Must eat! Back later! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 05:26 PM   #22
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

lol i would be the great evil that fell on the land!
Old 12-01-2002, 09:10 PM   #23
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I think that Thinhyandoiel and I are in the exact same positions. I am a youth in Canada and can go nowhere without my beloved parental supervisors making absolute sure that I come to no harm i.e. that I go nowhere without them knowing about it.
However, there's still a lot I can do. Oh good word, yes. There's enough evil and corruption (real true vampires and Satanists, friends who have fallen... *weeps for those who have given in to Sauron*) in my life that I'll have my work cut out for me.
Anyhow, on the topic I was meant to respond to, I would go. I really would. Unless I had a family. But I'm assuming that I'd be living alone, and I would go out to "take up the cross" and take on Sauron.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:16 PM   #24
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Shield

There are plenty of "secret evils," as well as plenty of not-so-secret evils. The most difficult choice is which crusade you feel will do the most good. Unfortunately, Satan tends to have more than one plan in motion at a time, and we as individuals can only do so much. I'd like to think that, in the sort of situation which was described above, that I'd do whatever it took. All the way to Mordor. But to me, at least, it seems like there are about 40 or 50 great quests going on, and it is singularly easy to let them pass by.
I hope I communicated that...
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:35 PM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

knowing me, id either discover my inner demon child and destroy the world, or sit in a forgotten place somewhere and sulk/hide, or do some kinda little thing, like deliver messages.