The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2001, 07:58 AM   #1
GollumsPrecious
Pile O'Bones

GollumsPrecious has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Questions On The Silmarillion

Just started to read The Silmarillion and am prolly about a quarter of the way through it. If u don't mind I have a couple of q's to ask which I was hoping some of the boards more informed posters might help me out with.

1. Arda and Ea...

As far as I understand it Arda is "The Earth" and "Ea" is the universe. What I was wondering was if there are any other worlds other than Arda within Ea..or is Arda the only world within the entire Universe that was created by Illuvatar and the Ainur ?

2. Orcs...

Orcs were the work of Melkeor/Morgoth, that much I accept...the only question is how did he make them. According to the text:

"...and naught that had life of it's own, nor the semblence of life, could ever Melkeor make"

..how then did he make orcs ? Were they somehow evolved from the Elves he imprisoned ?

So far I am really enjoying reading the Silmarillion and the index at the back is superb. However, I may have another few questions from time to time and if it's ok I'll come back and post them here on the Barrow-Downs.

Thanks for your help,

Paul.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:23 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Orcs are just elves that Melkor captured and corrupted. It seems like I've read which elves were captured, but it escapes me at the moment?!
Old 12-31-2001, 11:03 AM   #3
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

As far as I know, Arda was the only world (planet) documented in Ea.

It is said that orcs were in origin corrupted Elves captured by Melkor before the beginning of the First Age.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Ulmo ]
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 02:00 PM   #4
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
Sting

I'm fairly sure that the Silmarilion talks about Morgoth corupting the Avari, the elves that refused the journey to Valinor. Also he captured the Sindar and Noldor in his war with them.
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:00 PM   #5
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

I also remember how when the first valar formally visited the elves (the one with the horse, I forget his name) it mentioned how the elves feared him because those who wandered away occasionally dissapeared. These might have eventually become the orcs.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

Forgot to answer the first question. Arda is the only one mentioned, but I've never read anything to prove that there couldn't be other worlds.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:06 PM   #7
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
Sting

The Valar on the horse is named Orome
that i am fairly sure of
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 09:15 PM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

It was Orome, Elves were being captured before he arrived. Arda was the only world mentioned, but when Eru removed Valinor from the confines of the world, during the fall of Numenor it may have become one itself. They ones that would really be able to answer this are the ones that are very knowledgable of the HoME series. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Those were some very intriguing questions, GollumsPrecious. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 06:23 AM   #9
GollumsPrecious
Pile O'Bones

GollumsPrecious has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the replies folks. From what I've read here I'm gonna assume:

1. Arda is the only world in Ea we know about. There may be others but they are not mentioned. The only one which might count as another world would be as Elrian said: "...Eru removed Valinor from the confines of the world, during the fall of Numenor it may have become one itself"

In follow up to this point I was chatting to a fellow Tolkien fan at work and he was comparing the creation of middle earth with what is said in the Bible ( a book I have not and don't plan to read !!)...ie God (Illuvatar) created the universe, earth etc but there are no mentions of other worlds. Therefore I suppose it's possible that other than the removal of Valinor there is actually nothing else other than Arda..just as the Bible (or so I'm told) only makes reference to the Earth...hmmmm.

2. Orcs were not made by Morgoth. He somehow twisted and corrupted some Elves and they eventually became the first Orcs. Over time they bread like rabbits, evolved and became the vermin we know them as today.

I'll prolly have some more q's later. I'm now about half way through and will keep in touch if I have any more to ask yaz.

Cheers,

Paul C.