The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Turin Turambar
Pile O'Bones

Turin Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Entwives

In the Fellowship of the Ring, Sam tells about his cousin seeing a walking elm tree. Do any of you think this could be an entwife? And do you think the Ents found the Entwives after the 3rd age?
Old 05-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that it was an entwife. What do other people think?
Old 05-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Yes, I thought that was the case as well.

Remember in the beginning stages of the journey when the hobbits of the forest seeming to be alive? Well, when I read that part for the second time, through the second reading, I thought that they were the entwives. Sadly, Mr. Tolkien did not tie up that mystery though. I would have loved to have seen the ents reunited with their wives. I would have cried, of course, but...it would have been tears of joy!
Old 05-19-2002, 04:02 PM   #4
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe Tolkien intended the Ents to extinct. If he didn't, then they would have been reunited and´then I'm sure that they still watches the forest, dealing with those who harms it. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

In Letter 144 Tolkien seems to think the entwives were pretty much gone for good:

Quote:
I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429-3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin (vol. II p. 79 refers to it2). They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved: tyrants even in such tales must have an economic and agricultural background to their soldiers and metal-workers. If any survived so, they would indeed be far estranged from the Ents, and any rapprochement would be difficult – unless experience of industrialized and militarized agriculture had made them a little more anarchic. I hope so. I don't know.
Ents themselves would probably not become extinct because they are basically just trees. Treebeard says this in more than a few words when he tells Merry and Pippin that trees are always stirring, becoming entish and that many Ents become treeish. This explains the decreasing number of older Ents, and the trees in the Old Forest.

If you want to take a look at what Treebeard has to say I suggest you pick up a copy of TTT and read the chapter entitled 'Treebeard.'
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:06 AM   #6
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Treebeard says that the trees in the Old Forest were not Entwives. They might have been trees becoming "entish". Or they were trees going sour.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I think it was an entwife as well, because it is so clearly said that he saw a 'walking tree'. Another reason is that Treebeard makes Merry and Pippin describe the Shire over and over and asks them if they had ever seen any Entwives there.

Quote:
He made them describe the Shire and it's country over and over again. He said an odd thing about this point. 'You have never seen any, hm, any Ents round there, do you?' he asked. 'Well, not Ents, Entwives I should really say.'
'Entwives?' said Pippin. 'Are they like you at all?'
'Yes, hm, well no: I do not really know now,' said Treebeard thoughtfully. 'But they would like your country, so I just wondered.'
What I think most interesting in this phrase is the 'but they would like your country'-part. According to this and the things said above I think that it was an entwive, which Sam's cousin saw.

Durelen - great quote. But it seems that Tolkien himself wasn't quiet so sure about the entwives according to the last sentences. He speaks of some ideas about them, but in the end he says: 'I don't know'.

VanimaEdhel - Are you speaking of the Old Forest, about the trees 'being alive' out there. I think those were Huorns, because Old Man Willow was one himself and quiet a powerful one, controlling the others. (I believe I read this somewhere and some phrases in LotR made me think so as well).

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yes, I think that was an Entwife. But what happens after to them. I remember reading something or other by Tolkien that he was going to have new Ents come. Slowly though, then they would pair off with others.

~Burzdol~
Old 03-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #9
Erunno of Mirkwood

Sting

If you ask me folks I think that Tolkien intended this to be a mystery. Not only to the world of his readers, but to himself. I'm sure that, yes, he knows exactly where they are, but in the books he drops hints for us to make our own assumptions. As we know Tolkien hated allegory and strived to never tie it into his work. So I think in the end, you just need to find the place for yourself. Hey, one of them might be in your own back yard...
Old 03-10-2003, 03:07 AM   #10
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were no ents/wives then. They only came into existence after Tolkien had re-started LoTr after they found Balin's tomb. Origianlly, the 'Gaint treebeard' was the original captor of Gandalf, not Saruman.

The tree-men can be equated wiht the ones briefly mentioned in the Tale of Earendil, BoLT 2.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote