Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2003, 09:31 PM   #161
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I have ended up in Pennsylvania for the week with very shoddy internet access. I will catch up on Friday or Saturday (if we still have power). Once again Orogarn is late, and I apolgize.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #162
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

You are not as late as I. I currently hold the record for the longest unfilled save, but it is unfilled no longer. I fear it has little humor, but does serve to advance the plot in some ways.

Mithadan, I have done as you asked, and Grrrralph is unhooded.

In the interim, I thank everyone for their patience, and hope that it was worth the wait.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #163
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have added a bit onto Thenamir's post to explain the purpose of Grrralph's unhooding. I then noticed that Squatter had edited his post and mine is not entirely consonant with his.

Squatter, if you could please edit the one line to change the timing of the opening of the music box, I'd appreciate it. I needed to get Grrralph's riddle in.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM   #164
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

The Great Thighs of Improvas are part of the Ent-That-Was-Broken? Those will be horrifically hard to carry with us on our quest...
Old 09-22-2003, 05:22 PM   #165
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

It's not the Thighs that matter ... it's what you do with them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just a thought. I wonder if Mith's post might be best suited to appearing in the middle of Squatter's post. It occured to me that the final words of Thenamir's post provided a bit of a cliff-hanger and so it might therefore work quite well if events in Improvas were interrupted at that point by the next instalment in Soregum's journey, Kuru's disk swapping announcement and Squatter's Translator's note, before getting back to the explanation of what the hood lowering involves. Mith's post would fit in well, I think, between the two sections of Squatter's post.

As I said, just a thought ...

Excellent posts all, by the way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #166
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Right: I've edited my post to allow for Grrralph's routine and tried to bring it back round to that well-loved Elven ballad of Diamond's. Personally I think that Saucepan's idea about the order of events makes a lot of sense. The translator's note does tend to break up the action (actually that was originally going to be an elaborate save, but I couldn't bring myself to delete it), so perhaps it would be worth migrating that section to some other point. Anyway, that's really up to Mith.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:36 AM   #167
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

As requested, I have plugged my post into the middle of Squatter's and deleted it from Thenamir's, thus utterly confusing all readers and appropriately disrupting the flow of the text. I anticipate a troop of rabid placard bearing REBfans to protest these revisions for at least three minutes before becoming bored and seeking their true purposes in life (likely something to do with beer).

At any rate, who will take up the tale now and disconnect the King, steal the Thighs (causing the hall to fall upon all), and figure out how we are going to carry two such monstrous hunks of pulp along with us as we depart our beloved Improvas?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #168
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I will! I will! Just give me until the end of the afternoon!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #169
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Kuruharan, you do surprise me! I would have you the least likely candidate for filling in the next part of the story, being as it involves a collapsing Hall ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #170
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

A plot point that I intended to make more clear in my last post, but which came out weakly if at all, is the idea that Sauerkraut is no longer in league with Mogul, but is in fact trying to accumulate the pieces of the Entish Bow for himself. Which is why Gateskeeper is assisting in the disconnection.

While Mogul is busy putting up billboards and other low-tech advertising, Sauerkraut is attempting to undermine the old ways of advertising by using the power of The Net. Hence the stage-ad for Dorka-Cola (from Dorktank) as opposed to the Pukel-Cola on the billboards.

Taking the Great Thighs will be quite a disaster for Sauerkraut, as they are the main cell-antir tower for his competing Net-work in Soreham. Expect him to be less than pleased.

I will make some minor adjustments to bring this plot point out in the next day or so.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 PM   #171
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Grralph did a bump and grind routine on stage? I'm shocked. I'm also having a great deal of difficulty picturing it, but that's probably a good thing. Sometimes I have trouble beliving that this RPG exists on the same forum as the "outrage" threads. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Heh. At any rate, though, it's not nearly as shocking as Kuruharan volunteering to write the filching of the thighs.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #172
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

I have added a paragraph to the middle of my last post making more clear the plot points I mentioned earlier. Carry on!
Old 09-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #173
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

There. I've done my half-hearted Monty Python lampoon.

I've also abandoned the plot at a rather awkward moment.

Have fun getting the Quester's out, whoever decides to take up the burden.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:01 PM   #174
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Kuruharan, nicely done!

I wood (pun intended) suggest that it is not a good idea to saw directly on the thighs, since they are after all sentient pieces of the Ent-That-Was-Broken. Perhaps a hacksaw to the bolts supports holding them in place...
Old 09-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #175
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

There! The Itship, plus one, is on its way! Great posts all! Someone call Bird. Her little friends will have some visitors soon (plus Grrruff is technically a creature and therefore within Bird's jurisdiction if she so desires).
Old 09-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #176
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Tolkien

Hmm, good point. Will fix.

[Edit] Done.

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 09-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #177
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Sauerkraut weighs in, and his cabbage is boiling now...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #178
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that our next stop in this little ramble is the Forest of Canned Corn. After that, should our valiant band survive the encounter with the inhabitants of that wood, we will be paying a visit to Dorktank.

At some point thereafter, we should be enjoying the company of Leninia, though I have no clear idea where she might reside or how we should be encountering her. Nonetheless, we need to acquire a certain guitar. Lush? Any suggestions?

However, the most immediate concern would be getting a wagon so that the poor Nazgul and dragon don't have to carry the Thighs throughout Muddled Mirth. Grrralph's horse, Puff, would be available to draw the wagon, but we may need more beasts of burden. Has anyone seen Gravlox's warg, Shagoff? He's unemployed...

At any rate, this should provide some direction for the next several posts, at least. Anyone who wishes to do so may move us along.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #179
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

It's just a thought, but the Thighs could make the most mythic set of stilts ever...
Old 09-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #180
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Oh, the indignity...
Old 09-24-2003, 04:59 PM   #181
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Quote:
However, the most immediate concern would be getting a wagon so that the poor Nazgul and dragon don't have to carry the Thighs throughout Muddled Mirth.
Well, there are a lot of wagons knocking about in Soreham right now, what with all those wagon parks being redeveloped ...
Old 09-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #182
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Have we decided en masse to hold off posting until Esty's return? I've done my part...
Old 09-30-2003, 04:35 PM   #183
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

She is not due to return until October 7. I doubt that she would mind if we continue to advance the tale a bit. However, I've posted a bit too frequently recently and want to give everyone else a chance to contribute. So I'm not going to be posting in the next few days, at least. If everyone else wants to wait, that is fine as well.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #184
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi, fellow Muddled-Mirthians! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm having one of my rare online opportunities and, after my personal e-mails, this is of course the first place I look! I've enjoyed those posts very much and have no objections to your carrying on with the plot or whatever passes for it. Since when has anyone allowed even my presence to influence the surprise twists and turns? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] So why is my absence inhibiting?? I'll be back next week, as Mith said, and am looking forward to jumping into the action again. Till then, have fun... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-07-2003, 04:29 PM   #185
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Saucepan Man, please check your PMs.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:28 AM   #186
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm back! While I review the past posts (I enjoyed reading them all - thanks to those who posted during my absence!) and figure out what to write, is anyone planning a post soon? Please let me know so that I can plan mine to include any new developments.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #187
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The Quest...Thing...Whatevership is now on its way to see the Hornyburg and Glitzy Caverns of Ham Steep. Will they find something relevant to their journey there? Will the indestructible fortress remain undestructed? Will Pimpi get a chance to do truly heroic deeds? Will the Nazgrrl experience True Love's First Kiss? Tune in - no, write posts, and let's get this show back on the road again!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:29 PM   #188
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Doubtful.

No.

Who knows?

Chrysophylax may kiss her, but that might not have anything to do with True Love's First Kiss.

There. I think I answered those questions quite well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And now, I solemnly swear on ruined fortresses everywhere that the Hornyburg shalt not be destroyed...

...by burning.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #189
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Um, right.

I haven't given much thought to Leninia lately, but as I have discussed with Esty back in days of yore, she is a good girl underneath her bratty persona. These are all my thoughts on Leninia at the moment. After you've digested them thoroughly, I'll be back with more.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #190
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

* burp *
Old 10-10-2003, 08:25 PM   #191
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

So... I guess that means you want us to refrain from killing her?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #192
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, hey, being a good girl doesn't necessarily let you off the hook. I'd say killing was still an option. As long as it was done in good taste.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #193
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I think that the chances of anything being done in good taste on this quest are slim to none. Perhaps only moderate bad taste would be a more realistic condition: something like being crushed to death by a giant cartoon foot.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #194
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

We now have a genuine celebrity in our midst.

Lord Dimli from the famous Mono-gendered-ship of the Thing.

I am sure that you will all treat him with the respect that a person of such eminence deserves, and spend lots of money at his casino. (Of said money, Kuruharan will naturally have his take).

[ October 11, 2003: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 10-12-2003, 03:43 PM   #195
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Oh, indeed. I am sure.

Something tells me, though, that the Itshipers aren't going to be the ones getting fleeced.... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #196
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

No, I don't want Leninia to die. Just look at the first five letters of her name. How can you desecrate them? Filthy capitalists.

Seriously, I actually think that her dying would be rather repetitive.

If Earnur can't control himself, we could always get him a punching bag. Or a blow-up doll. Or...something.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:45 AM   #197
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

There is some background plotting going on for this part of the story. As I am planning a development that possibly involves a guest cameo, I request that you writers check with me before doing anything drastic with the characters and location. Go ahead and do business with the Dwarves (to their or your advantage [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), discover the beauties of the caverns, whatever you like - just don't destroy the location or have the Itship leave, please! Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 05:25 PM   #198
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Old save is filled in now, and a new save is in to allow Sauerkraut's "cable repairmen" to get roughed up by Mogul's minions. Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2003, 06:39 PM   #199
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Oh good, you named Môgul's "cat", Thena. I was drawing a blank on that. We likes it, my preciousss. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Colin ... er, I mean Sauerkraut can rest easy (well, as easy as gifts like that allow [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) for the time being though. Môgul does not have sufficient armies to take Dorktank ... yet. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 PM   #200
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I've filled in my save. Voggy and Pimpi's actions are pretty par for the course.