The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth LIV: The Council of Evil

The Fourth Age of Midde-Earth

All was well with the Reunited Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor and the Kingdom of Rohan. Sauron, that scourge of the earth was vanquished, various minor uprisings in Rhun and Harad were crushed or pacified, and the Free Peoples suffered from no internal strife. It appeared that a time of peace and joy was to be enjoyed after the last three ages of warfare, swaying power, and hatred. Dwarves, men, hobbits, and wood elves looked into their envisioned future and saw no flaw in the outlook. Life seemed good to them.

Yet it was not so with the remnants of evil. From their hiding places in the underground, in the mountains and in forgotten lands they watched the children of light with hatred and jealousy. The combined might of all the forces of darkness might have rivaled the Free Peoples, but most of Sauron's remaining servants were undisciplined and disorderly, and many of the direct servants of Morgoth were unwilling to quit their rest and endure war once more.

It appeared that no final strike was to be made against the good and beautiful.

But the Council of Evil was formed, great beasts and spirits of darkness banded together; and a shadow grew over the earth...

The Balrog Tholdur brooded deep within the bowels of the Grey Mountains. He seethed with anger at the thought of peace in Middle-Earth after his recovery from the War of Wrath, especially as he remembered his position in the world then and the unsurpassed might of Morgoth's realm.
Tholdur recalled the elves and men he had crushed, the battalion of orcs and wolves he had led into battle, and the memory of standing near the Master on his throne. Those were the days of glory, when the Balrogs were held high in honour and considered the second only to the Dark Lord himself and his Dragons.
Inexcusable, therefore, after the supreme power of the Valar had returned once more to the Undying Lands, that all which the great Master had been opposed to was permitted to flourish. And though he no longer held to his oath, Tholdur still remembered it in part, and that fragment he was resolved to fulfill, whether from some crazed love his master or an evil resolution he made, it is not recorded. And he repeated the verse over in his mind, filling himself with fury:

"Death to light, to law, to love
Cursed be moon and stars above",

and his heart of flame waxed hotter than before, urging him to go forth and combat his ages-old enemies.

And Tholdur, Balrog of Morgoth, abandoned his caves and stood upon some tall mountain, and beheld all Middle-Earth in one, long gaze; and he, knowing that his might alone could not hope to overcome the task he saw, was filled with a great wrath, and the darkness about him increased, and the full power of the Maia was revealed in him.
But then Tholdur saw how the victory he sought after might be accomplished. For one Balrog alone could not achieve his aim, but if two united? or three? What if a strength of Morgoth's living servants gathered in might? That indeed would prove a force to be reckoned with, for there were few then in Middle-Earth who could defeat the ancient powers which destroyed much of the Eldar's work in the First Age.

But Tholdur met difficulty, for he could not lead the Valaraukar, nor summon the dragon-kind from their rest. And even were they so called, they would scorn him to make himself a head, for his power was scarce greater than theirs. Yet once more he found the path out, for the dragons loved gold and might fight with him if promised a large portion of wealth. And were the Balrogs given a large share of power over conquered peoples- for some lusted after it- they might join his cause; and Tholdur was made glad.
Then Tholdur gathered about him mountain-orcs and wolves, and sent many as messengers, ordering them to request in his name his kin, dragons, great trolls and strong leaders and rulers with many followers, to join him in a war against the Free Peoples; and power there was for the taking, and the massive hoards of dwarves and men, should they but ally themselves with him and share equal positions in his council. And the council was to meet at Mount Gundabad, a stronghold in the far north, where they would decide on how to set about the conquest of the renewed Kingdoms and the other various domains throughout Middle-Earth.
And the messengers departed and gave their communication to the great ones they found, and many of the receivers journeyed to Gundabad to help Tholdur; some for treasure, and some for authority; and one who desired not to aid, but to further his own purposes.

But the journeys took time, and in that time Tholdur gathered a small army of orcs and assaulted many of King Elessar's northern outposts, and destroyed them; and battled after with an Arnorian host five thousands strong, and though he slew many and put the others to flight, he suffered grievously from darts and long spears cunningly wielded, and he returned to Gundabad to heal and direct the council.

And many came to the council. Balrogs there were, mighty servants of Morgoth, Eonwe, Ilya, Isabellkya, and Strongbow. Dragons also; Brinniel and Gwathagor, of the Brood of Glaurung; and lesser cousins of the winged-worm Scatha, Meneltarmacil and Shasta. A great troll lord from the Ettenmoors named Sally came; and Kath, a chieftain of Sauron's Olog-hai. After these two walked one troll whom none had met, nor heard of, his name was Nogrod, and his mouth gaped at the other counselors, in his eyes shone not the light of wit or cunning, but they rested dully and his huge mouth gaped. Out of the far east appeared the blue-robed wizard Alatar (who went by a pseudonym of Boromir88), with many Easterlings in his wake. Last strode in a grey body, colossal for that breed, a werewolf called Aganzir with venom dripping from his jaws. He led the wargs of Rhovanion to Gundabad, through many dangers the Sons of the West laid for them.

Then when the council was joined in a great hall beneath the mountain, Tholdur entered, and many present were surprised at his manner. For though they knew he had been injured and he stumbled as he strode forward, in his fiery eyes gleamed hatred, but his hatred was not for those who had done him corporeal hurt.

"Allies," said Tholdur, and his voice was lower than a herd of bulls', "When I called this assembly, I expected, nay; I was sure that at least one would come with mischief or discord in his heart, but I believed myself to be strong and discerning enough to sense his intent and expel him from our meeting ere he caused conflict or discontent.
"I was in error when I thought that of myself. One has come and has clouded my insight with doubt, and is even now crushing my will to resist him, for he is a necromancer of power and shrewdness and seeks to rule Middle-Earth without others to rival him. And that, I am sure, will tell you what he intends to do to you, Servants of Darkness."
Tholdur paused and grit his rock-like teeth. He appeared to be enduring an invisible weight, overloading his mind and causing him to undergo severe mental pain. After a few moments of this he continued:
"He has, as I mentioned, darkened my powers of sense, but I will tell you what I have perceived of him and his doings. Two among you have been wrenched to his side, for his sorcery is great; and they will not return even now. Those two do not know who their master is now, but they work together. That enslavement shall not happen to others, I believe, for those still faithful will- if they wish to retain their personal freedom- now steel themselves against that mighty power, unlike that unfortunate pair which had not the chance.
"Now band together and choose one among you each day to slay or otherwise dispense with. All of you have been leaders at one time at least," he paused and shot a quick glance at Nogrod, "that is to say, at least most of you. Your skills in judgement, insight, and wisdom cannot be wasted at this crucial time. Pick carefully. Looks can deceive, and a few of you toil for the good of the whole aside from the daily debate."

Tholdur suddenly roared aloud in agony. He strained his limbs and his shadowy wings reached from wall to wall, and all who beheld him were filled with amazement and fear. He dropped to his knees and clutched at his lowered head with flaming hands. He then removed his claws and raised up his chin.

"Beware!" he forced out of his massive chest. "Our enemy is strong. He may possess other powers than this you see before you, and even in defeat he shall be perilous. Yet this I know and must impart to you: he alone cannot undo good in Middle-Earth and if he survives he shall not spare any here, be they thralls to him or no. Remember all that I have said to you, and now: farewell!"

With a cry of anguish Tholdur fell onto his face. The darkness about him withered and faded into nothingness. The flames encircling him diminished and vanished, and his glowing body dimmed. The Council's originator and motivator had died by one their number.

The Council viewed Tholdur collapse so awed none moved to catch his fall. Several minutes of astonished silence ensued, and then the members began to talk....

Day 1 has begun.

Players:

Aganzir
Boromir88
Brinniel
Eonwe
Gwathagor
Meneltarmacil
Ilya
Isabellkya
Kath
Nogrod
Sally
Shasta
Strongbow
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Go ahead and start. I won't be back on for hours.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*Meneltarmacil the fire-drake enters the cavern*

Raaaawwwwwrrrrr! I brought you guys some dinner!

*brings in a number of freshly-cooked dwarves*

These guys were trying to dig tunnels all around my lair, so I roasted them. But on to other matters. I hear some of us have decided to turn traitorous. No idea who, but rest assured they will be breathed on and eaten if I run across 'em.

Let us be careful in our accusations, however. I would hate for any of our number to die needlessly, however tasty they might be.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
I'll whip them, Meneltarmacil, with my thongs of fire, and I may also just roar at them. Let their hearts cave in their fiendish chests for what they have done!

Anyhow, I agree with you.

Let's not be hasty. (hoom hoom)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
(hoom hoom)
Do not speak the tongue of the Ents here, brother. We are he to honour the name of Morgoth, not our foes.

Mmmmmmmm.... Dwarf...
They're a bit too crispy, don't you think?

Anyway, despite using that foul speech you are right.

We must try to find out who is evil, but as our number is few, we cannot be careless in our choices.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
For reference, here are the special roles that Gollum posted on the Admin thread.

2 Werewolves
1 Werebear
1 Seer
1 Hunter

I would like to know what a werebear is.