The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2002, 01:25 PM   #41
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

I just discovered this thread, and many people are asking where they can get this or that item. In partnership with the Barrow-Wight himself, we are setting up a new Barrow Downs store, Barrow Treasures. When the store is ready, we'll give you the URL (it may take awhile -- the store software is very good, but very complex to set up properly). In the meantime, if you want or need something, shoot an email to <A HREF="mailto:thenamir@barrowdowns.com">thenamir@ba rrowdowns.com</A> and I will give you the price and availability info you need.<P>The sword of the Witch King is 54" long, exact replica of the one in the movie, retails for $348, I sell them for $189.<P>THe One Ring comes in many different price ranges. The most impressive one is the solid 10K gold ring, laser-engraved with the famous inscription, in a small display case for $350. Also, there is a sterling silver ring plated with 24K gold, also laser-engraved, comes with case and chain for $175. Then there are the gold-plated brass models (size 7 only) that you can get for around $30.<P>I don't carry costumes unfortunately (unless they are being manufactured for Halloween, and I have not heard of them yet...) but for the FOTR opening night I created and wore a Gandalf costume, complete with long grey hair and beard. It turned out that it was not as close to the movie costume as I would have liked, but it was well received. On the night of the premiere midnight show, many of us gathered at the theatre about 4 hours ahead, about 1 in 20 was in costume. Exceeding the manager's expectations that we would not fill one theatre, he had to open two more theatres in the 30-plex to handle the overflow! It was an awesome night.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:38 AM   #42
Thinlaithion

Sting

I'm going to go as Legolas. I've got the ears and hair, but I don't know what to do for the costume, any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2002, 11:29 AM   #43
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Sting

I am going as an elf-maiden. I made <B>MADE</B>mind you, a light blue dress. Does anyone know where I can buy a circlet like Elrond's or Galadriel's?
Old 05-18-2002, 11:49 AM   #44
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Me and a bunch of friends are all gonna try to go to the premire or opening day and we're all gonaa dress up!!! I think you can guess what I'm going to wear considering I'm an elf!!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:13 PM   #45
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I've already mentioned on other threads that I've taken to dressing as an elf anyway. I've just completed a blood red elf dress. Not exactly ethereal and pastel but that was Peter Jackson's image, not mine.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:46 PM   #46
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I somehow managed to get my friend Ally to dress up as a hobbit lass, while I dress up as an elf. I have the entire outfit planned:<BR> I'm going to have the cowl-necked one. <P>[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]<BR><A HREF="http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?designId=5764&design=9891" TARGET=_blank>Here is a picture of what I'm wearing.</A><p>[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:57 PM   #47
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

By the way, the image of my dress is not the color I want, I'm getting it made in blue and grey.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:25 PM   #48
Thinlaithion

Sting

If anyone needs something for a costume, <A HREF="http://www.cloakmaker.com" TARGET=_blank>www.cloakmaker.com</A> is a great site. They deal with fantasy and middle ages stuff and it is great.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:41 PM   #49
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Great site, Thinlaithion! Thanks, I was thinking of maybe wearing a cloak with my costume. If I decide to, that'll be a great place to go.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:43 AM   #50
Mistress Aubrey

Sting

I would like to dress up as Frodo..any costume ideas for a costume for Frodo...I really need help! <P>Mistress Aubrey
Old 06-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #51
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aubry, I have found one coustume that would work for any of the male hobbits. It is <P>Go to <A HREF="http://www.Simplicity.com" TARGET=_blank>Simplicity</A> Ben Franklin vest and shirt(#5958)

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:20 PM   #52
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
i'm going as an elf, i think. but seriously, i should go as lurtz, or an orc, cause i've seen some hilsrious (spl?) costrumes. aw man, pleez dont mind me, cause i really cant sepll today!
Old 06-01-2002, 01:38 PM   #53
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I'm saving up to buy a reproduction of Arwen's Evenstar necklace!!! I only need $21.25 more!!!! <BR>Wait, I got mixed up with the calculations (that's what happens whenever I try to do math without a calculator) I actually only need <I>$19.25</I> more!!! Yay! By the way, I like your pic, Gollum!<BR>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]<P>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited (again) by: Nevfeniel ]<p>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 06-03-2002, 11:15 AM   #54
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A couple of friends and I are dressing up as elves. We're getting a ride from my Mom, her and my brother say they will act as if they don't know us. No soft flowy dresses me though; I'm going as a traveler. I already have a leather jerkin, and the fabric to make a cloak and tunic. All that's left is pants, shoes, and wrist cuffs. I have all summer off, might as well do something useful.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #55
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nevfeniel - I just LOVE the dress to the left and the lightblue one! You don´t happen to know where I can get the patterns (and fabrics for that matter)? Thanx anyway. Lovely dresses, I must say.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 12:15 PM   #56
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Well, the site I got the picture from actually sells the patterns, and a good place to find fabric is Joann's Fabrics or something.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #57
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ah, thanx a bunch! I am very thankful for your answer. I must search for that..I gotta sew those dresses!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:35 PM   #58
Dimlondriel

Those dresses are really beautiful. My friends and I want to dress-up. I think it would be cool to go as a wizard, with a big hat, a fake big nose, and a robe. Any ideas where I could get something like that?
Old 06-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #59
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Here you go: <A HREF="http://www.matthewsrobes.com/lotr-gandolf.html" TARGET=_blank>Gandalf's costume (for buy)</A> Hm, that site certainly can't spell Gandalf's name. . . oh well. The costume is right. I've been recomending a lot of costuming sites to people! Wow, I feel so helpful! Go me!<BR>[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]<p>[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 06-03-2002, 09:41 PM   #60
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So, who here:<P>A) has $189.00 USD to spend on a replica of the Ringwraiths' sword and;<P>B) is willing to risk getting arrested attempting to carry it into a packed theatre?<P> <P><I>But Sargeant, it looked like a real sword! I thought it was self-defense!</I><P> <p>[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 12:50 AM   #61
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I could do B) but A)? I'm too poor. I dislkie child labor laws, I really need monet and no one needs a babysister. Arwen's neckalce will have to wait for a long time.<P>I'd have fun bringing a sword in, I like sharp pointy things.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 07:05 AM   #62
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Nevfeniel - You ARE very helpful, thanx a lot again! <BR>I will try to get a bow and arrows into the theatre, if only I can get hold of it...
Old 06-04-2002, 03:02 PM   #63
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

2 of my friends (known around here as Naurlothwen and Losthuniel) are sewing costumes & getting prosthetic ears if we can find them when we go. Yay we'll all be like a big mad family in the Theatre aww<p>[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: Rosseiliantiel ]
Old 06-04-2002, 03:26 PM   #64
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

Jeez, do I feel all left out. No one, literally no one, in my area is that into LotR, except me. Now if I dressed up for Star Wars...but that's a different story.<P>I found the perfect elven traveller tunic the other day (white airy linen with black embroidery around the collar, which has a v-notch in it), but I still need pants, boots, and a cloak. The bow and arrow I am working on...Anyone have any sites/ideas?
Old 06-04-2002, 04:03 PM   #65
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> getting prosthetic ears if we can find them <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have just the<A HREF="http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Article/Ears.htm" TARGET=_blank>site</A> for you. It tells exactly, step-by-step how to make prosthetic ears. Warning: You have to make a plaster cast of your ear, but that's included in the instructions.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:22 PM   #66
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I'm going to go as an elf all in white if I can find that costume (who knows? maybe as Galadriel even though I don't have the hair for it) and I'm going to borrow my friend's replica of Sting and make a scabbard for it so nobody arrests me . Nevfeniel, you're a helpful person, can you find anything?
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 04:26 PM   #67
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Hm, well the picture that I posted (I think on the first page) included a Galadriel-ish dress. The one with the cowl-neck (it's also the one that I'm wearing) is similar to the dress she was wearing either during the mirror scene or the farewell to Lorien scene (I can't remember which).
Old 06-04-2002, 07:25 PM   #68
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

Yes, Nev, you do seem to be an extremely helpful person in this area! <P>Do you think you could dig up something concering the making/purchasing of pants for an elvish wanderer?
Old 06-04-2002, 09:02 PM   #69
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Ooh, that's a toughie. I'll get back to you on that one. I just need to do a more extensive research. . . (just hope my brother doesn't kick me off the computer this time. . .)
Old 06-04-2002, 09:45 PM   #70
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:47 PM   #71
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

You're very welcome.<BR>Oh, and Laie, I haven't found anything yet, but I'll PM you if I find anything.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:44 PM   #72
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

*sigh* Not only am I wearing a reproduction of Evenstar (my. . . preciousssss), I also made a headpiece. It's not exactly similar to what the elves wore in the movies, but here's a picture of what each of the little "chain links" look like:<BR> <BR>Now, just imagine a bunch of those connected with a pretty glass bead between them, with a pretty (and original) design hanging down in the middle (right on my forehead, hanging between my eyes, sort of).
Old 06-09-2002, 09:01 PM   #73
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Tolkien

me? not dress up? that would be unthinkable! unheard of! lol! I dressed up as Galadriel for FOTR and I plan to continue that tradition. Though it still somewhat puzzles me HOW they were able to squish her into TTT, i saw the trailor, and she is, indeed, on the next movie. this time I'll be more prepared... next time i go to the fabric store I plan on buyin lots of white /white lacy stuff to make a complete costume.

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 11:00 PM   #74
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Nevfeniel, I love that head piece. Did you make that or did you buy it. I am looking to make one for Amber (my cousin) and myself.<P>I just need some ideas for the circlet. Her dress is going to be green or either red and mine is either light blue or a dark royal blue. I do know that my cape is royal blue velet, I have already purchased the material. So I am thinking that a silver circlet would look best for my outfits. BTW, my cape is going to have silver rope-like edging. <P>If she has the green dress, then I will make a green cape with silver edging, but if it is the red dress, I am making a black cape with gold edging.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #75
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I don't think I'll dress up for TTT, but I am planning to go to my Halloween dance as an elf. Does anyone know where I can buy fake ears that are not too expensive?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:39 PM   #76
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

^<BR>|<BR>|<P>There should be a link somewhere up there. And since you're going to the Halloween Dance as an elf, why not just take your costume and wear it on premiere night? Who knows; maybe they'll take pictures !
Old 06-10-2002, 01:31 PM   #77
nevfeniel

Eye

I made my headpiece, Joy. I can get you a link to the page that showed me how to make it if you want. It's really easy, but you would probably need a wire jig ( a piece of plastic with little holes in it that you stick plastic pegs in, you can get them at most craft stores), but if you make any wire jewelry, use either 24 or 26 guage wire, anything less will be too soft and stretch a whole lot, and anything more would be pretty hard to use. Hope I helped.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:36 PM   #78
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Yes, please pass the link along Nefeniel! I also need that for the broach. I have been looking at different gauges of metal wire, but not sure what kind to purchase.<P>Oh, BTW, if anyone is making a dwarf costume and need a mail coat, but don't want to go to the trouble of doing the chain links, try silver fiberglass "instect" window screening. This can be found at any hardware store. I have found that between Lowes and Home Depot, HD has it cheaper. It looks pretty good and can be worked with fairly easily.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:35 PM   #79
nevfeniel

Eye

Here's the <A HREF="http://jewelrymaking.tqn.com/library/weekly/aa101800.htm" TARGET=_blank>link</A>. It also has instructions on how to make a wire jig, if you don't want to buy one (I found it simpler to just buy one, though). <p>[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 06-11-2002, 04:07 PM   #80
Laurelin
Animated Skeleton

Laurelin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laurelin
Silmaril

I want to go as well a tree. But considering I'm the first magical tree in Middle Earth it doesn't seem that weird. Plus with the Ents and all.