The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #161
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Late to the party...

Apparently I'm a really good cobbler when I don't try to be. Some people always see all kinds of hints in random posts and I usually miss them. Now that I thought I actually did see some, I ran with it, never to return.

Sincerest apologies for trying to lynch the actual seer from beyond death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
As far as I know it was Mac who came up with it, you'll have to ask him. I didn't get it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
At least on the Cuties thread, I blame Mac.
Who's the fool? The fool, or the fool who follows the fool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
How's that mousepad tasting?
Delicious, but it could've used more butter.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #162
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Delicious, but it could've used more butter.
Maybe Boro still has some left over.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #163
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath on Night 2
Upon finding out G55 is the Ranger, Brinn merely says ‘sorry to hear that’ not ‘oh I’ll sacrifice myself to save you’ – does this suggest Brinn is a Gifted who needs to stay alive?
You figured it out and didn't even realize it! The funny thing is I came close to slipping at this point and was tempted to post "Better you than me." So glad I didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna in the wolf chat
Boro, I remembered that article you shared with me about why people have more vivid dreams during this quarantine! And speaking of dreams, I’ll have to turn in now. I’ve been too sleep-deprived for the past couple of few days.
These Covid dreams are for real! I've been having a lot of vivid dreams lately, and of course once the WW game started I started dreaming about the game too. Which is honestly a bit confusing when you are the seer and start having actual dreams about players that aren't even accurate! I think my most recent WW dream was a day or two ago when I dreamed that for some reason Nogs decided to keep the game going even after the final narration and I needed to post in the QT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I think Ka said it at one point, using this place as a safe haven in a storm, and honestly I have had so much fun, and the majority of that has been all of you. It's been far too long.
Wholeheartedly seconded. It's been such a treat being back here with all of you, thanks everyone (and of course Nog!) for making it into such a crazy, epic comeback game
I agree with this as well, it is nice to be back. You know, it's been over 13 years since my first WW game, 3 years since I last played (Dueling Wizards), with a 5 year gap before that. Over those many years, our lives have changed significantly for most of us (pandemic aside), yet whenever I come back here, it feels like no time has changed at all.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #164
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Hey, don't be like that, brother from another mother. (read the QT thread for explanation)
And congrats on the baby you have acquired since we last met!
Thank you. It was something I picked up a little more than a year ago, and while it is a source of much joy, it is not the best supplement to a game of werewolf.

I can see you are forcing my hand. I will have to have a proper look at the QT thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
We caught Rune's "Telemus" clues, but found it hard to believe if he was the seer he surely would have dreamed of Eonwe by now.
Of course you did, and of course you didn't believe it.

I was increasingly desperate at this point. I viewed myself as holding the village back, I had trouble finding more than the hours around deadline for participation, so I decided on throwing the most overt seer hints I could. I knew it was unlikely to work so well as to make me a wolf pick, but I hoped, and reasoned that if nothing else perhaps I could divert some attention. The weird thing is, that after I gave up on having ambitions for my contribution, I started having much more fun with the game. I imagine it mirrors the fun of being a cobbler, I guess you could say that I was fey.

I am not trying to constantly slate myself, and I am not looking for pity. However...
It has occurred to me that my game hasn't developed much since I played WWJ II. And the rest of you... I am just in awe of your scheming, theories, voting analysis etc. Amazing, just amazing.

I think that at sometime in the future I would like to mod that twitter inspired game, and just watch mayhem unfold.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #165
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
We at the QT got rather discpuraged by the Wall of Text posts on the GT rather fast, and wholeheartedly support your Twitter WW idea!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #166
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
We at the QT got rather discpuraged by the Wall of Text posts on the GT rather fast, and wholeheartedly support your Twitter WW idea!
I am thankful for the support, less so for the "wall of text" memes in QT-thread that have made my eyes bleed.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #167
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post

Yes, but unfortunately I don't speak it except some very basic phrases. It's from a Eivør Pálsdóttir song, í tokuni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I ❤ Eivor. Saw her performing live some years ago and it blew me away
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
She's really good.

I do recommend listening to her to anyone who hasn't heard of her yet.
I stumbled upon Eivør's music a few years ago when i was creating a playlist for a vacation (with my father and siblings) to Tórshavn.

I have been taking Icelandic classes lately, and so I put on some of her music in the car to see if my Faroese skills had also improved as a consequence. My girlfriend turned to me and asked "do you know Eivør"? Apparently they used to hang out together at, the now closed bar. "Sirkus" in Reykjavik. That particular bar had a spinoff branch in Tórshavn which still exists, and in which i managed to get drunk with a Michelin star chef and participate a Nordic Council Eurovision party.

I think I managed to tie that story up rather nicely...

Old 05-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #168
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It has occurred to me that my game hasn't developed much since I played WWJ II. And the rest of you... I am just in awe of your scheming, theories, voting analysis etc. Amazing, just amazing.
I can totally relate. A lot of game development has happened in the games between now and since I last played, apparently. I've been rereading a few of the much, much older games and there was a really stark contrast in the depth of analysis that went on.

Quote:
I think that at sometime in the future I would like to mod that twitter inspired game, and just watch mayhem unfold.
Please do, Rune. Please?

Late PS.
Quote:
I guess you could say that I was fey.
I see what you did there.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-22-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #169
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Of course you did, and of course you didn't believe it.
I did! For a while at least, and whether you were the seer or not, I was pretty sure you were innocent, like Legate earlier; at the time of my death you were one of a handful of villagers I felt I could trust in a pinch (including Lommy, Lottie, Shasta when he went after THE Ka, possibly Greenie) - not trust to be right, but trust not to mislead me on purpose. Hence my reaction to the QT vote that Day, which the wolves took as Seerish. That's no small thing, trust between ordos; it can win games.

Quote:
The weird thing is, that after I gave up on having ambitions for my contribution, I started having much more fun with the game. I imagine it mirrors the fun of being a cobbler, I guess you could say that I was fey.
LOL! Seriously though, that's true of many things, that once you lower the bar of your expectations they're both more fun and you tend to do better. I feel I'm more or less in the same camp as you - some players' ability to post exhaustive analyses at runtime while also keeping up with what else is going on utterly amazes me (Greenie, I'm looking at you and your spreadsheets!). What people perceived as my 'tenseness' on D1 was really a mix of (1) being totally hyped about playing WW again and (2) being totally overwhelmed by the size of this village and the amount of stuff everybody was posting. I try to do analyses during Nighttime, but I rarely bother to post them because by the time I log in next Day too much other stuff has happened (which may be why people get the impression I'm holding back my thoughts, like Boro said D1?). During the Day I've found I operate best in a thrust-parry-riposte mode, engaging with whatever comes up. [/self-conscious rant]

Quote:
I'd really like to either play or co-mod that (and believe me, if I knew how to enforce a character limit to BD posts I'd already have started it)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
I agree with this as well, it is nice to be back. You know, it's been over 13 years since my first WW game, 3 years since I last played (Dueling Wizards), with a 5 year gap before that. Over those many years, our lives have changed significantly for most of us (pandemic aside), yet whenever I come back here, it feels like no time has changed at all.
Or to quote Bowie, Nothing has changed / everything has changed, but coming back here still feels like coming home. So thanks to Nogrod for modding this game which has drawn us all back together again, but also thanks to The Barrow Wight Himself for making this space for us in the first place and maintaining it all those years so we have someplace to come back to in a time like this!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #170
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I'd really like to either play or co-mod that (and believe me, if I knew how to enforce a character limit to BD posts I'd already have started it)!
An idea:

I believe the Downs' post-box (where you type the post text) remains the same size text-wise regardless of device (it seems the same on my phone and computer, and it doesn't change when I play around with window size). You may type only the text that fits into this space, quotes included. You may not exceed the limit (ie when the scroll bar appears).

Also... can I play/co-mod that too? I swear I cannot stand another Wall of Text.