The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril The Inept Guard

Has it occured to any that the same drunken guard from The Hobbit in the Woodland Realm was probably the same guy who let Gollum climb that tree? I mean, the guards sitting around the tree were probably sleeping off a few vintage Dorwinion casks, when BAM! A couple of orcs killed them. Then of course you'd have Legolas show up and see them all dead and say: "Aye! Aye! I'm in for it now!" Seriously though, how inept were these guards that they let 13 dwarves, and invisible hobbit, and a gangrel little Smeagol escape... and those are just the ones we know of?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Well, I suppose it is possible that it was the same guard. The Elves seemed to have rather lax internal security. They trusted in their "magic" gates.

As I recall, the Elves let Gollum climb the tree because they were trying to be nice to him. When he would not come down they did not go up to get him. The guards were then killed by an attack of orcs. If there is any blaming to be done it should be of the watchers and scouts who did not see this enemy force. Not the guards that did not know about the danger.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Then of course you'd have Legolas show up and see them all dead and say: "Aye! Aye! I'm in for it now!"

Thanks for that visual.

H.C.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The elves may be less intellectually gifted than we thought if they put their trust in the same "guard" more than once.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:09 AM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

But I thought that Baggins chap was just very clever..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, the above post is right. You can't blame the guards for the Gollum incident. Any idea how large a force of Orcs it was that attacked?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #6
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah! Letting an invisible hobbit escape - how silly is that?! Must've been some stupid elves in Mirkwood.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:54 AM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

If nobody has noticed, I was being rather sarcastic in reference to the invisible hobbit. My post was meant to bring up the question of how infallible the Mirkwood Elves thought that their security was. It seems a bit un-Elvish that they would leave prisoners unattended (in The Hobbit) or that the scouts would not notice an army of orcs rampaging their forest (LOTR). I was stunned to think that this awsome race could make such mistakes as to allow for the escape of so many prisoners. And if nobody minds my saying so, being drunk is not an excuse.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Speaking to The Hobbit, they escaped by the skin of their teeth, had to wait quite a long time to do so (find a plan), and nearly drowned as a result. It's not like they just walked out the front gate. Small windows of opportunity (in this case being drunk/unattentive) can bring about great deeds.

While speaking of the infallibility of 'awesome' races, don't you remember a little guy named Melkor and a beast named Ungoliant? They snuck in and out. Both the escapes of Melkor and the Dwarves happened during a time of revelry.

tp

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Has it occured to any that the same drunken guard from The Hobbit in the Woodland Realm was probably the same guy who let Gollum climb that tree? I mean, the guards sitting around the tree were probably sleeping off a few vintage Dorwinion casks, when BAM! A couple of orcs killed them. Then of course you'd have Legolas show up and see them all dead and say: "Aye! Aye! I'm in for it now!"
I think he would have said: "Ai, Ai!" Them elves do spell funny.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It may have been the same guard however gollum is very sneaky not to mention the fact the original guards was probably reprenmanded the guard the first time 'round (maybe legolas was adminstering the punishment thus explaining his absence for the the battle of five armies