The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Would Faramir and Turin have been good friends?

Just a thought. I feel their characters just complement each other. Imagine Boromir with Turin, or Aragorn with Turin (Whoop! What a disaster!)!
Opinions?
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
What an interesting question! Off the top of my head, I could see them as friends, but feel that it would be rather one sided, with Faramir filling a role similar to Beleg. But then again Faramir might benefit too from seeing how much worse Turin's life was. Makes his own experience seem positively sunny in comparison. As it actually was in the end.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Could you see anyone as Túrin's friend?

Beleg yes, but that took time and effort by him. Why would Faramir wish to invest his life for him? There was a narrated destiny for Beleg to give his life for Túrin but I think Faramir had other causes to care and live for. And would Túrin have accepted anyone that close to him unless they were really giving their lives to him (just think of what Beleg did)?

One can't just keep up "nice relations" with tragic characters like Túrin?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
mikelangelo11
Newly Deceased

mikelangelo11 is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Very interesting. You clearly put some thought into this. what to say about Faramir and Boromir?I was thinking they can be friends.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since this question asks for opinions rather than book discussion, I'm moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers area of the forum. Please continue reading and writing there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelangelo11 View Post
Very interesting. You clearly put some thought into this. what to say about Faramir and Boromir?I was thinking they can be friends.
The brothers who got along very well together?

Onyway, I reckon they would have got along all right as acquaintances but wouldn't have got near the level of real friendship. As Nogrod said, doesn't really suit Turin to have a normal chum.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Could you see anyone as Túrin's friend?

Beleg yes, but that took time and effort by him. Why would Faramir wish to invest his life for him? There was a narrated destiny for Beleg to give his life for Túrin but I think Faramir had other causes to care and live for. And would Túrin have accepted anyone that close to him unless they were really giving their lives to him (just think of what Beleg did)?

One can't just keep up "nice relations" with tragic characters like Túrin?
Haha, good point. But I still feel that they could accept each other as friends, or perhaps as good acquaintances. Faramir's humility could do Turin some good. And Turin's steadfastness and pride might just help Faramir stand up for himself a bit more.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't think Turin had too many real friends. He felt affection for Thingol and his elves (well, most of them), but only the girl who would watch him from treetops (I keep forgetting her name) actually meant something for him. Another friend of Turin's childhood was Labadach - Turin's affection for him certainly grew into a steadier bond than for others.
Beleg was always a true friend of Turin's, but their friendship didn't work the propper way. I think that if Turin wasn't so headstrong and would give in to Beleg once in a while, his end would be much less tragic. But Beleg always was the one to give in.
I would say that if Beleg's role was taken by Faramir, they'd become friends as well, and Faramir would do exactly what Beleg did. He probably would have tried to rescue Turin the same way Beleg did and be killed like that. The only real difference is that in my opinion, Faramir is slightly more skilled at "reading behind the lines" and understanding people than Beleg. aybe he could've found a way to convince Turin to return to Menegroth...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I don't think Turin had too many real friends. He felt affection for Thingol and his elves (well, most of them), but only the girl who would watch him from treetops (I keep forgetting her name) actually meant something for him. Another friend of Turin's childhood was Labadach - Turin's affection for him certainly grew into a steadier bond than for others.
Beleg was always a true friend of Turin's, but their friendship didn't work the propper way. I think that if Turin wasn't so headstrong and would give in to Beleg once in a while, his end would be much less tragic. But Beleg always was the one to give in.
I would say that if Beleg's role was taken by Faramir, they'd become friends as well, and Faramir would do exactly what Beleg did. He probably would have tried to rescue Turin the same way Beleg did and be killed like that. The only real difference is that in my opinion, Faramir is slightly more skilled at "reading behind the lines" and understanding people than Beleg. aybe he could've found a way to convince Turin to return to Menegroth...
Wasn't the woodcutter's name Labadal?

I feel their personalities could go well together. They're opposites, but Faramir is one person people (in the books) find hard not to love, and it seems to me that Faramir could possibly balance out Túrin's arrogance and stubbornness.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You're right, Galadriel, his name is Labadal, I just keep thinking of him as Labadach for some reason.
And yes, it is hard not to admire and love Faramir - he just has a key to every person. That is, everyone but Denethor. But Turin is not Denethor.