The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
What was the best new scene in the three EE's?

All right, so, for those of you who've seen all three Extended Editions, what was the best added scene?

I regret to say I have not seen ROTK EE (perhaps I am not qualified to start this thread), but my favorite new scene so far is probably the scene in TTT where Aragorn tries Eowyn's soup. Totally non-canonical, but hilarious!

Please note that this is not about which EXTENDED scene was the best. Which COMPLETELY NEW scene was the best in the three EE's?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
big question. if you would like to give like 12 hours to go watch all of them over again and then come tell you then hang on .............. ok back ( not really)

i cant remember all of them, but i really enjoy the Mouth of Sauron seen in RTK EE which you havent seen. its geat. i wont go into to much detail bc you havent seen it but its great.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
The grandeur of the past, the desolation of the present and the hope for the future..

I loved the scene in ROTK where Frodo and Sam stumble across the statue of the Stone King at the crossroads in Ithilien.

That's one of my favorite moments in the book (as I have probably said about fifteen times around here ), and I loved the way it was handled in the film version. I just loved the fact that it was included in the film version at all, because it's such a minor moment as far as the plot is concerned. Even though it doesn't inspire any major plot changes it has always seemed like the last hopeful moment before Frodo and Sam head into the utter despair of Mordor. Even though it's an emotional turning point rather than a "action based" turning point, it's always seemed very significant to me.

Not to mention it makes me cry. *sniff*

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I would have to say that I am split between when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, because it always makes me emotional, and I love when Frodo asks Gandalf what way is Mordor, and the scene at the end of TTT when Gimli has the sword in the head of the orc. That definitely is my most favorite humorist scene, but then I also love when Gimli gets drunk and talks about "the little hairy women" in ROTK
Old 01-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Michael Wilhelmson
Pile O'Bones

Michael Wilhelmson has just left Hobbiton.
Shield ROTK Celebration

Sorry, but I have to say that Jackson couldn't have included much of the important stuff.

For this thread, I liked the drinking scene (John-Ryhes Davies did all of that improv!), as well as the assassination of Saruman, as misplaced as it was.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The best new scene has to be in RotK when we see Aragorn kill that disfigured orc leader thing. I was so cross when the stone didn't crush him and I moaned about it for aaages and then there it was - him dying! Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd have to re-watch the EEs of the first two films to pick one from each (there's a good excuse)
However, for Return of the King I'd have to give a mention to the scene where Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas stumble out of the Paths of the Dead and Aragorn sees the black ships. I had to explain how they had got onto the ships so many times to people who had not read the books
My favourite additions though, were the scenes in the Houses of Healing (all of them) I really regretted their absence in the theatrical version.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Originally posted by Kath
Quote:
The best new scene has to be in RotK when we see Aragorn kill that disfigured orc leader thing. I was so cross when the stone didn't crush him and I moaned about it for aaages and then there it was - him dying! Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!
I agree whole-heartedly...that was joyous to watch.

Beyond that though, I also liked in 'Fellowship' the Lembas scene where Legolas tells Merry and Pippin about it...that was pretty funny. And I'm having a complete blank on 'Two Towers' now...maybe I'll go watch it again and let you know.

By the way Lolidir,
Quote:
if you would like to give like 12 hours to go watch all of them
a friend and I did this, it was fun.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

The scene in The Return of the King where Faramir chats to Pippin. That's very nice, and one of the few good scenes with Faramir. Made up for Beregond slightly.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
The scene in The Return of the King where Faramir chats to Pippin. That's very nice, and one of the few good scenes with Faramir. Made up for Beregond slightly.
Aye, that was one of my favorites as well. As well as "The king has got a crown again" scene. And I found the "Mouth of Sauron" scene most amusing.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

My favorite scene from all three, comes in TTT...the scene between Boromir, Faramir, and Denethor in Osgiliath. One mainly because Boromir is my favorite character, and it shows the friendship between the two brothers, despite Denethor's favoritism (and some wonderful lines).

"Remember this day brother, it is a good day."
"...that leaves more time for drinking," (Ok I forget half the quote).
"He loves you father!"

This scene also goes to explain the actions of Faramir, taking the ring to Osgiliath.

From ROTK, my favorite added scene would probably be Eowyn fighting fiercely next to Theoden. I love the expression on Hill's face like..."who is this soldier?"
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
My favorite scene from all three, comes in TTT...the scene between Boromir, Faramir, and Denethor in Osgiliath. One mainly because Boromir is my favorite character, and it shows the friendship between the two brothers, despite Denethor's favoritism (and some wonderful lines).

"He loves you father!"

This scene also goes to explain the actions of Faramir, taking the ring to Osgiliath.
That's a great scene, and I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it! I think in that scene, Sean Bean gave one of his best performances in the films.

A favourite for me is the scene with Merry and Pippin in Fangorn which echoes the episode with Old Man Willow. I think one of the reasons I like it is that The Old Forest is a favourite chapter in the books and I was pleased to see at least something of it returned to the films.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
That's a hard question, well like Eomer, I like the scene where Pippin and Faramir are talking with each other, but I also ike the scene with Legolas and Gimli in TTT EE after the battle at Helms Deep when they are talking about their scores

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 AM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I liked Theodred's funeral. It felt very Rohirric.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #15
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I liked the scene in FOTR where Gimli recollects receiving the gift of three tresses/locks/strands of hair (?) from Galadriel. For a moment Gimli the Clown wasn't present.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I liked Theodred's funeral. It felt very Rohirric.
This again is a wonderful scene. The singing of the lament by Eowyn was incredible, as was the sight of the body being interred within an opened Barrow, which was exciting to me as an ancient history/archaeology enthusiast. This scene conjoured up images of an 'older' Britain, which was quite peculiar as it combined influences from periods of history millenia apart, with the Anglo Saxon sound of the lament, and the burial, influenced by something far more ancient.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Totally agree, that was possibly the best moment of grief in any of the films.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Elladen and Elrohir, I'd have to agree with you. That is probably my favorite NEW scene. It added some needed laughter plus it gave some more info on the Dunedain to some unaware fans. Especially those who never read the book.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 PM   #19
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Quote:

"He loves you father!"

I totally agree with this. I think that it is probably one of the most fleshed out extended scenes, and one of the most relevant. This is by far my favorite added scene from all three films.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #20
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
This is a tough question for me because I'm one of those people who changes their mind all the time as I think on the subject.
Of course I LOVE all the extra scenes with Faramir. As you guys may have predicted.
However, I also do like the stew scene. My mom was never a fan of that scene because she thought it made the story between Aragorn and Eowyn cheesy. But I always disagreed and it is my friend's most favourite scene.

For FOTR my favourite is split between the view of Caras Gladhon, the lembas comercial (graciuosly given by Legolas) and Galadriel's gifts.

For TTT it would be the Boromir/Faramir scene

For ROTK I'm thinking it would be the scene between Pippin and Faramir or the crossroads.

Most of my favourite scenes are the ones where character development plays a large part. I love the battlle sequences but still I prefer the character development ones. Of course that is to a certain extent.

Still I watched a little bt of PJ's commentary for ROTK and he keeps on hinting at the 25th anniversary edition. He had better hold himself true to that cause I'm counting on it.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #21
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Theodred's funeral scene was also about the only time that Film-Eowyn felt like Book-Eowyn to me. Fair and cold, indeed.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #22
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Totally agree, that was possibly the best moment of grief in any of the films.
*nods* Yeah, that is grief without slipping into cheesy at all. Very difficult to achieve in movies these days. Another moment like this one is when Eomer finds Eowyn on the battlefield and when Faramir sees Boromir pass by in his boat on the Anduin.

These three moments are definitely among my very favourites. I'd also mention the Boromir - Faramir interaction in TTT (Gosh, Sean Bean reminds me so much of Sharpe in those scenes!), Aragorn taming Brego in TTT, and the wood elves passing through the forest in FOTR and Merry and Pippin in Fangorn.
The EEs have some of the best scenes ever! It's really difficult to choose one or two favourites!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #23
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Yes, I agree with Lalaith, it was a very great scene, and very emotional

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #24
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I completely agree with those who listed Theodred's funeral. Something stirs in me that I can't name during that scene...

Also, the part where Faramir and Eowyn look out from the Houses of Healing. That was what I waited four years for!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #25
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

My favorite scene would have to be in ROTK when Aragorn tells Legolas to shoot a warning shot past one of the Corsairs' ear and Gimili bumps the bow and Legolas kills him on accident. I also liked the drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli and the new Gimli scenes in the Paths of the Dead. The Paths scene with all the skulls was pretty cool too.
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #26
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dūm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

I think that the best scene was the addition of the Mouth of Sauron. I think that that was very important, and that the last battle would not have had exactly the same feeling without it.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dūr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #27
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I agree with Ninja91, the Mouth of Sauron was a welcome addition, I also liked the Death of Saruman, no matter how big the hobbit was that shot Wormtongue?................ha.

In fact I like more of the EEs than I dislike, And I dislike more of the EEs than they deserve.........................
Old 06-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #28
SarumanCymraeg
Pile O'Bones

SarumanCymraeg has just left Hobbiton.
Although they were both pretty incorrect as far as the books were concerned, I truly loved both the Mouth of Sauron scene and Saruman's death scene. Christopher Lee truly at his masterful best!
SarumanCymraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #29
Ar-Pharazon
Pile O'Bones

Ar-Pharazon has just left Hobbiton.
I enjoyed the extended battle scenes in the siege of Minas Tirith. With the battle on the siege towers and the ring wraiths strafing the battlements. Especially the one where the orc horde sends the battalion of orcs charging the gate with their puny battering ram, only to be completely pasted by the Gondorian Archers. It gets to the point where the bodies are piled so high against the door that they can't ram the door.

Finally Gothmog decides to bring up "Grond" (aka Giant Troll Powered Battering Ram), like duh, why didnt he do that in the first place .

The scene from FOTR I liked the most is when Aragorn and Boromir are talking the night before they reach the Falls or Rauros and Boromir pleads with him to bring the ring to Minas Tirith. Aragorn rejects it by saying that he "Would not bring it within a hundred leagues of the white city." It sets up the divide between Aragorn and Boromir nicely which flows well into the next scenes where Boromir tries to take the ring by himself.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #30
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The drinking game that Gimili and Legolas have is one of the best new scenes!! Legolas feels all fuzzy....Hee hee
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #31
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
I think that the best scene was the addition of the Mouth of Sauron. I think that that was very important, and that the last battle would not have had exactly the same feeling without it.
Maybe it's just me. I hated that scene. *rambles on about how Aragorn shouldn't have killed the messenger*

Hating to betray TTT EE Boromir and Faramir, I give my best-altogether-new-scene-vote to the Houses of Healing. Short and wanting as it is (Aragorn never gets near Merry or Faramir, and only just barely helps out Eowyn) at least we FINALLY get some Faramir-on-Eowyn action and the blue starry cloak.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #32
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Maybe it's just me. I hated that scene. *rambles on about how Aragorn shouldn't have killed the messenger*
I hated it too, gave the wrong view of Aragorn.

I think my favourite new scenes were the ones that showed the relationship between Boromir and Faramir. It was nice to see them just as brothers, with Faramir obviously so proud of Boromir, and Boromir protective of his kid brother.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #33
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
The scene in ROTK with Denethor : " Why do the fools fly ? " .

Bang on portrayal by John Noble of the madness of Denethor .
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:25 AM   #34
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dūm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Oh yeah, and it would not have been complete if they had not shown Saruman and what happened to him at Orthanc (even though it happened in the Shire in the books)
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dūr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:37 AM   #35
ingo

The best scene

The end of "The Two Towers"

Gandalf: Thoeden King Stands alone.

Éomer Not alone. Rohirrim! (the Rohirrim mass behind him from behind the hill)
TO THE KING!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #36
calandil
Pile O'Bones

calandil has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree faramir and pipin

i love the scene when faramir talks to pipin
calandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #37
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Like many of the other posters, I enjoy the added boromir/faramir scenes in TTT and the mouth of sauron. I think they really add more depth to the story. Actually most of the EE scenes do, but those stand out in particular to me.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I personally enjoyed the scene at the Green Dragon in FOTR, the scene when Gimli was sitting on the Uruk at the end of the Battle for Helm's Deep, then there's the scene when Merry and Pippin find the food in Isengard and the scene where Merry and Pippin are sitting on the Walls of Isengard drinking and smoking. I also enjoy the entire celebration in Edoras after this scene.