The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye The Barrow-Downs Scavenger Hunt

We have a new contest on the main site: The Barrow-Downs Scavenger Hunt.

Only the first 8 people to solve it get prizes, so hurry!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

1420!

Some people are just outright guessing. Ha! You can't figure out the final answer by guessing!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Oooh... this is indeed tricksy. Oh well, I sent in my best answers.

P.S. No, BW, I didn't guess. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

But Mister Wight, sir, I didn't guess. I knew some of the answers, researched some others, looked a few up in the books, and then discovered the final answer after quite a lot of hard work. No guessing involved, actually.

Feanor of the Peredhil

Edit: Fea is rather interested in the outcome and would like to register curiosity over some of the guessed answers that so delight His Wightness. In short: when do we find out the winners?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:39 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Feanor of the Peredhil ]
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Curse you Barrow-Wight! No, I take that back. Curse me!

I figured out ten of the clues in about 45 seconds. Oh baby, I was on a role! But then my brain just hit a wall (it can only handle a few seconds of thinking a day you know).

Though I only had ten of the eleven clues I was able to discover what the final clue was but...I don't know the answer! No, actually I do know, it's floating around in my head someplace and I can't find it (and I don't have the time to launch an expedition into my book to look for the answer).

My only hope is for other people to suffer similar melt-downs until I get the time to find the answer.

But despite my frustrations I think this hunt is really cool. A pat on the back to whoever thought of this.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Wait...... I think I've been confused. You mean to tell me that we only have to find the answers to the eleven questions? There's no hidden clue and secret answer to find after that? Here all this time I thought the "final answer" was like the quiz game Password, and I've been searching for ages trying to find some sort of pattern in the letters, to no avail. And now you tell me that it's really quite simple?!?!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Is anyone else finding this really difficult? I am. Oh well, I'm not too disapointed. I'll just wait for a contest that I'm really good at *starts muttering* then I wipe the floor with all their smart heads! Hahaha. Just kidding, I'm really trying, but I'm in no run for the win. Oh well.

Quote:
But then my brain just hit a wall
That gives a nice mental picture phantom, a funny one.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Don't worry. My brain suffered a severe meltdown while trying to come up with the final answer, so I desperately searched for some hint of a pattern, and submitted a final answer based off of that.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

After staying up all night watching movies and then sleeping in till about two in the afternoon my mind was feeling well rested. I turned my thoughts back to the hunt and within seconds found my answer.

Unfortunately I had my epiphany at work without a computer in sight. When I got home my dad told me that he had checked the page during the day and there still were not enough winners so I went ahead and sent my answer in a few minutes ago.
Quote:
and I've been searching for ages trying to find some sort of pattern in the letters, to no avail
Well, there was definitely a pattern in my answers. Whether or not it was the one Barrow-Wight is looking for remains to be seen.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

There was actually quite an obvious pattern in my answers. I simply hope it's right, because if not, I'll feel like an idiot. But then... I am the one who got really confused about the existence of chicken water... so feeling stupid is nothing new.

Fea
Old 01-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

1420!

The Barrow-Downs Scavenger hunt is closed. We have our winners, and they have been notified by e-mail. Look on the main page to see the winners and the answers to the clues - plus the final answer that was needed to win.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:18 PM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 01-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Cool contest, BW. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Congratulations to the winners. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 PM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

I have a simple question...

If a winner's confounded e-mail system accidentally had the 'Downs blocked, would the wonderful, kind, and understanding Mister Barrow Wight be so nice as to re-notify the winner in question, seeing as how the notification never actually made it past the filters that I never knew were there until I couldn't figure out why my screen name was listed as winner, but I was recieving no notification...?

Actually, I started screaming when I saw that I won the book, so I'd really hate to disappoint my brother (who wants to read it now) and my mom (who said "I'll believe it when I see it") by not being able to claim my prize because of technical difficulties with my blasted computer...

Cheers,

Feanor of the Peredhil
Old 01-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

If that winner answers his (her?) PM and verifies her identity, he will get her prize. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #15
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, Mr. Wight? Please sir [jumps up & down and waves arms about in the air to get attention of Barrow Wight] . . .

Can we have another, please? In fact--lots!

I hope it didn't take too long to come up with this one. One a month would be lovely!

Kudos to the impeccable handling of the contest by the mods! And, applause to the winners and near winners! I was off by a wide mile on the few answers I thought I'd gotten. But I know my scholarship will improve greatly with practice! So, help this dead one develop her natural, latent abilities and give us another scavenger hunt--a mind is a terrible thing to waste! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 PM   #16
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Are there plans to make scavenger hunts a regular thing here on the Downs?

If so, I would very much like to author a few.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'd definitely agree there, even though most of my answers were off by a long shot. Ah well, it just gives me an excuse to re-read LotR over and over again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #18
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If only I had had enough time to devote to this, along with everything else! I still gave it a shot, but didn't get anywhere near close enough to send in an answer. (although I got 6 answers right and had the right idea on a few others-trust me to write "mumak" instead of "oliphaunt!") Right clever this was, and fun too! I must say, the "Fang in the Ring" stymied me forever and I guessed wildly, but it seems so simple now that I see the answer before me! Great contest, BW! Thanks for the diversion and pleasant frustration! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

So close.... there's only one that I actually missed, and trust me to second guess myself with a more "clever" answer on the other one. Of course, I thougth everything would be really cryptic, so I examined it for something really obscure and all that. Instead of "apple" for number four, I put Haysend, because hay can be taken as a type of produce, "wasted" can sometimes mean "come to an end", and the village of Haysend was outside the Hedge. And then it turns out to be really obvious. Grr.

Great contest, though, and it would be nice to have others, although I don't know if the BW would love to go buying prizes for us all the time!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #20
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
although I don't know if the BW would love to go buying prizes for us all the time!
Isn't it prize enough to know you're soooo great at these things? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote