Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2003, 11:12 PM   #81
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Orual

Piosenniel and Sam have never met. She will simply be an unknown Elf to him. However, by the time she comes to deliver his invitation, he should know of her, as Amaranthas has asked Rose to be Pio's midwife. I'm sure the couple has had some conversations about that.

And his friendship with Cami is in the past, when they were young, growing up as neighbors on Bagshot Row. Cami, though, went away many, many years ago to minas Tirith, and never returned.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:19 AM   #82
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sorry for the delay! Things have been hectic here; please add any suggestions, I'm going by what Child has given me on Rose but any more information would be very much appreciated! This is the profile so far:

Name: Rose Goodchild, Miss Rose

Description: Rose is about average height for a hobbit, though perhaps on the tall side. Her hair is light brown and curly, and her one distinguishing feature is her hazel eyes. She has a small, delicate nose and round, red cheeks that dimple when she laughs. Rose is quite strong and can handle herself in a tight situation fairly well.

Personality: Rose can be vivacious and headstrong, but is learning to become responsible and mature. Her experiences on the Lonely Star allowed Rose to grow up a lot, but she still retains much of her spirited young nature.

Background:One of the crew on the Lonely Star, Rose went with the others on many perilous adventures. She was orphaned at a young age and chose to live with Cami in Minas Tirith, later accompaning Cami on her travels. Cami is now teaching Rose the art of healing.

Interactions: Cami and Lindo, and probably some of her old friends from the Star.

Should there be any way to distinguish Rose Goodchild from Rose Gamgee? It may not even be a problem, but I thought I would ask just in case [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:39 AM   #83
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Well, folks, I'm off; I was hoping to get more done, but not this time... I'll be back next Saturday... Cami, can you reserve me a spot for Frodo's thoughts on seeing Sam for the first time? I've been pondering it, just not at a keyboard...
Old 02-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #84
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey everyone!!
Name:Primrose Bolger of Hobbiton (related as a distant cousin to
Fatty Bolger from the trilogy)

Description: Dark curly hair, Deep blue eyes and fair skin. Usually dressed in white or yellow with a green sash about the waist

Personality: good sense of Hobbit humor and a decided twinkle in the eye! Goodnatured, likes to joke around with the others in
the Inn - makes others feel at ease. unattached at present.

A down to earth Hobbit with a good head for judging people. Good head
for business. Hard worker - dives right in to manage anything thrown her
way.

Hows that? Meet the Green Dragon Inn keeper!

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 02-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #85
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A little delayed but here at last...

Old Stoat

Old Stoat is of the race of men, although with his stench and all that mud and hair it's more than a little difficult to tell. His age is also something for debate but could be somewhere in his forties.

His background is mysterious in that no one in the Bree environs knows where he came from. He just seemed to appear one day working in the fields on Ferny's plantation. He has an ill look to him though and people soon noticed items went missing from their homes if they left the door unbolted the day he took to living in that shed at the field edge.

He more than once let his fists fly and if he found himself fairly beaten would later follow his rival home and finish the business with a hunting knife.

If Ferny had not stepped in to vouch for him he would certainly have been tried or at least expelled from Bree.

He was now in debt to Bill Ferney and he certainly knew how to make use of him. Large and strong and seemingly easlily biddable he soon found himself being bought pints in the Prancing Pony and included in Ferny's plans. Ferny could make good use of a man of dubious background who seemed willing to follow him. It was impossible to tell if he had his own neferious plans in mind or just had a liking for evil doings.

One night walking back across the fields from one particularly heavy drinking session Bill ventured to ask his new companion where he had got his name. Stoat let out a low and rasping laugh. "Cos I changes me colour to suit where I is."

Obviously interacts with Bill Ferny!

I hope this is what you had in mind as a profile. He's supposed to be mysterious so I have been too, hope that's ok.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:44 PM   #86
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Auriel

LOL! Old Stoat!

Another well done baddy!
Old 02-15-2003, 05:44 PM   #87
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

White Lady --

Rose Goodchild is 20, so I've edited your post to show that. That information was courtesy of Rose Cotton, who was Rose's original creator!

Yes, indeed, we are overflowing with "Rose's". Rose Cotton suggested we call her little Rose "Rosie" (or Sam might call her "Rosie-lass"which was her dad's actual nickname for her). That sounds like a good idea to me to keep the two characters straight.

So Rose Goodchild is Rose, and Rose Gamge is Rosie!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:10 PM   #88
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bird, Mith, Pio, Mark 12_30

The challenges of time travel again.....

As you know, the Star RPG involves certain events concerning the hobbrim which, according to the great music, must not be revealed to the folk of Middle-earth until the end of time. After consultation with Bird and Pio, we are suggesting the following guidelines when dealing with time travel "secrets".

We will attempt to keep the information about the Star voyage itself hidden--hobbrim, tomb rescue, etc.--except for the general piece of news that Cami has just gotten back from a time travel journey. We will let the Shire hobbits know in what age Cami, Maura, Lindo, and the others actually live, that the Valar have arranged for their "transportation", and they'll be returning them back to the same time and place.

These restrictions apply to the Shire hobbits only. There can be free exchange of information between all visitors who arrived in the Inn via dream (from the 2nd and mid-third age), since anything too sensitive will fade away in dreamland.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:11 PM   #89
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Several "Roses" by the same name...

Quote:
So Rose Goodchild is Rose, and Rose Gamge is Rosie!
This skips a Rose, doesn't it? Rose Goodchild will be called Rose, I got that. I guess that the abovementioned Rose Gamgee is Sam's daughter, and is Rosie or Rosie-lass. Or is it that little Rose is Rosie-lass and Rose Cotton Gamgee is Rosie? Anyway it's better than the alternative used in a play I'm in, where we just use everybody's full names...it would get old having to type "Rose Cottom Gamgee" every time Sam thought about his wife!

Namárië,

~*~Orual~*~
Old 02-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #90
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Yes, then there's Sam's wife. Sighs.... Maybe we should call her ???

OK, let's try again.

Rose Goodchild = Miss Rose, played by the White Lady

Little Rose Gamgee = Rosie or Rosie-lass, played by Rose Cotton (!)

Rose Cotton Gamgee = Rose or Miz Rose, played by Nuranar

Ach, too many Roses.....

Will this do, or does anyone have a better idea?

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-15-2003, 10:21 PM   #91
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Important Note

Please make sure to look at the game thread and read all the background posts before drafting your own first post.

You'll definitely need to read these early posts to understand later story developments. Also, I just included a copy of the invitation in the game thread. If you're one of the characters who will be receiving an invitation, take a look at it and see how you might respond.

You haven't heard from Cami in 24 years, and she is inviting you to a dinner with two hobbits who left for the Blessed Land some 12 years ago! She's also promised you dinner with an Elf.....

Cami
Old 02-15-2003, 11:11 PM   #92
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Will Rose (Cotton Gamgee) be receiving this invitation before or after Pio meets her?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:32 AM   #93
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Rose and Sam will get their invitation personally delivered by Pio.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #94
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio will call Rose Cotton Gamgee 'Miz Rose'. It puts them on an even, adult, footing in a respectful manner.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:26 PM   #95
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Sounds good, Pio. Will add that in under Rose Cotton Gamgee's name. Since Cami has known her since she was a Child, she will stick with the plain 'Rose'.

There will be many scenes where the context is so clear we needn't worry about this, but if there is any question, use the names in the list above.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-16-2003, 07:14 PM   #96
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank you, Cami! I've added Miss Rose in her profile. I still have a few questions on the character, which I will send by PM. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 AM   #97
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Background Material on Maura Took and the Hobbits of Beleriand

Maura Took, the son of Isenbar and Mirabella Took, was born in Dor-Lomin in the year 461 of the First Age. Maura came from a long line of lore-masters and wise women desended from Izindi Took. More than two hundred years prior to the fall of Gondolin, Izindi had led the hobbits on a westward march from the lands of their birth, joining up with the Men of the First House of the Edain.

Alhough the Elvish chronicles fail to record the details, the hobbits were most likely represented at the initial meeting between Beor the Wise and the Elf-lord Finrod, son of Finarfin and brother of Galadriel, that took place in the year 310. The fortunes of the Took family, and of the hobbit community in general, continued to be tied to those of the First House. Thus, the hobbits temporarily settled in Estolad, but then moved to Ladros in Dorthonion, after that land was granted to Lord Boron.

It is interesting to note that, although Maura himself never lived in Ladros, he considered that city to be his true cultural heritage, and was well acquainted with the words and deeds of the wise-woman Andreth who was the grand-daughter of Boron. With the fourth battle of the Beleriand wars, that of Dagor Bragollach in 455, the hobbits were expelled from Dorthonion, along with the Edain, and did not return until after the fall of Gondolin, this time in the guise of prisoners.

Maura's grandfather, for whom the lad was named, died fighting at Tarn Aeluin in the year 460 beside the outlaw Barahir and his son Beren, the only one of the group who managed to escape.

Most of the hobbit community went into exile in 456, settling in Dor-Lomin, along with a number of the Edain. This is where Maura himelf was born in 461. As a young lad of just twelve years, Maura was forced to flee, along with his surviving family and most of the other hobbits, after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which his own father Isenbar had been killed, acting as a courier for Fingon.

It was at this point that Idril intervened with her father and secured permission to safeguard the hobbits within the secret stronghold of Gondolin, where they remained till the fall of the city in 511.

We know that in the year 500 Maura's mother and his twin sister Mirella were killed ouside Gondolin's gates by a band of roving Orcs. Seven years later, Maura's youngest sister Zira married Ban. Abar was born in 508, and Azra in 512 on the isle of Tol-Fuin.

Maura's growing love for Cami is detailed in the tale of the Lonely Star. It should also be noted that, although Maura held great respect for Elves and Elvish learning, he was careful to stress that the destiny of hobbits lay elsewhere, and that, being mortals, their interests were more closely tied to those of Men. Maura's scholarly contributions were primarily in the area of history; he also acted as a teacher for the hobbit youngsters. Moreover, it was to Maura whom Ancalimon turned whenever he needed to discuss urgent community matters.

Maura seems to have been a gentle and easy-going fellow who, although thoroughly conversant in ancient lore, greatly enjoyed popular songs and nonsense, hence his popularity with hobbit children. He was adept with the bow, and well respected within the general community. He was tall and slender for a hobbit, with grey eyes and brown curls that were tinged with grey. The only criticism his neighbors offered was that he tended to keep his feelings to himself, so that it was sometimes difficult to know what he was really thinking.

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 AM   #98
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rosie-lass

I pasted the Rosie-lass post you did directly under Pio's because it wouldn't make sense to have it later in the story line. Hope this is ok.

Everyone :

Pio had left the thread closed after she posted last night, and it's possible that she did this for a reason (or it might be a mistake).

I sent a note to her to clarify this and open the thread if needed.

Cami
Old 02-18-2003, 09:35 AM   #99
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I will be introducing Lorien by editing Child's Feb. 15, 11:30 post.

Edit: Done. Hee hee.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 02-18-2003, 11:00 AM   #100
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I have a question. When will this RP begin?? I have a post that should go right after Rose Cotton's. I wanted to know, because I need my post to go there, and if someone else gets to post first, my post will not souund right. If you need to, I can email my post or something....
Old 02-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #101
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arwen,

Please send me your post in a private message or put it up on this discussion thread, and I will gladly paste it into the correct spot on the game thread. I can do this even if the game has continued on with later posts.

Thanks. If anyone else has a post that needs to be pasted in right after or before Pio's talk with Sam, just send it by pm or post it on the discussion thread and I will paste it in he game thread for you.

Mith --

You've edited my post. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That usually means big trouble! I'll go have a look.

OK, I've looked....

Oh dear, leave it to Cami to come up with a half-baked Vala as her 'guardian'!

"Pipe-weed?" Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising. BTW, Gandalf has somehow kept Bilbo supplied with a plentiful amount of pipe-weed, which he will gladly share, although the hobbit swears that Old Toby and Southern Star are superior to the variety raised in the West.

I would advise everyone to look at Mithadan's post which appears directly under mine from February 15.

Cami

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #102
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Thank you Child, I have emailed you the post.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:44 PM   #103
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will have my first post (Frodo-lad) finished by this evening; should I post it or send it in a PM?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #104
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The game is now open. If it seems to fit into the flow of the storyline when you have it done, then go ahead and post it.

If it makes more sense to add it onto one of the other posts - then please specify which one: who and by date, and PM it to me and I will place it for you.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #105
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Would you like me to do a post of Angelica receiving her invitation?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:01 PM   #106
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Nuru

Yes, that would be great. It will be late afternoon when the server and his satchel finally gets to your house!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #107
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Okay, I'll do one as soon as I have the time. And she is allowed to bring her husband and children, correct?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 PM   #108
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

By all means! The more the merrier!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:31 AM   #109
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Mith,

Please check your mail.

Cami

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #110
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will be gone from tomorrow afternoon until Saturday sometime. If I've not got my post done before I leave I will certainly have it done by the time I get back, though it may have to be inserted somewhere, depending on how far you've got.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #111
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Just send it in a pm, or paste it on the discussion thread with instructions where you want it and we'll try and help.

Cami
Old 02-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #112
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Child,
I'm working on my first post right now. When I finish would you like me to just post it on the main thread or PM it to you?
Old 02-19-2003, 05:48 PM   #113
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nuru,

You are welcome to run it by me, or just g ahead and post. Do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Cami
Old 02-19-2003, 06:27 PM   #114
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

First post finished and on the main thread. Hope it's all right.

Angelica Baggins
Old 02-20-2003, 05:26 AM   #115
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Very nice, Nuru! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #116
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The dinner party for Bilbo and Frodo will be occuring sometime soon.

Can each of you who are coming to it, please post something about your thoughts as you get ready to come to the party, your preparations, hopes, wishes, dreads.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:31 AM   #117
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

I have saved a post. As soon as I can (late tonight or tomorrow after church) I will write about Miz Rose and the Gamgee family's preparations.

Other Gamgees, feel free to post!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:26 AM   #118
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I have put up a save spot after Nuruanar, most likely being in response to her.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Everyone

I'll be posting the beginning of the party. I'll probably not do that till Sunday evening or night since a number of people (including myself!) have saves to fill in.

Mithadan,

Did you want to do anything special with Lorien at the hobbit luncheon?

I have posted a 'save' for the luncheon to end, and won't do anything drastic to your character other than to say he seemed to be enjoying the food and drink quite a bit!

If you want to add anything before the ending of the lunch, you can insert a post in the first part of my save box. Even if you do it later, I will edit my post to fit in with yours.

Arwen Baggins

Please check your private messages. Thanks!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cami

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-22-2003, 10:13 PM   #120
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hi all,

Golly, the team's been busy. I have a lot to read.

Sharon-- I'm a bit lost. Who's dreaming and who is not? I thought all the time travel was done via dream; but Bilbo and Frodo seem to actually have arrived for real? Are they not time travelling, just distance travelling? Who will be dreaming and who is actually awake?

Regards, --Helen