The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Sauron 'the dark lord?'

why is sauron the dark lord what happened to Morgoth! i know he got chucked into the void but still you'd think someone would remember him!!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Being in the void, he really couldn't fill out the job requirements.

A Mafia leader is thrown in jail for a life sentence...does he keep his title? No. Someone else takes over.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

Well Melkor/Morgoth was the first Dark Lord and when he was in charge Sauron was a Dark Lord in Training, so to speak. So when his master got sent into the Void, Sauron took over to sort of "finish the job" for his master and conquer Middle Earth [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002, 02:20 PM   #4
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought that it was more like Sauron was the servant. I don't think that he really compared at all to Melkor. Melkor was a Valar, Sauron was a maiar. There is a big difference. Sauron might have been evil enough, but he lacked the same amount of power. What do you think?
Old 09-11-2002, 07:02 AM   #5
Amarie
Animated Skeleton

Amarie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is true that Morgoth was more powerful than Sauron the Maia. I do not think that this alone proves that Sauron continued to be a servant after Melkor's banishment. He could have been in it for himself, less powerfull than the original dark lord or not.
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 07:26 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Beginning of the First Age Sauron was a Maia in the service of Aulë. He was corrupted by Melkor in a very early stage and became his chief servant (later he was called 'the Lieutenant of Angband'). After the wars and the downfall of Thangorodrim, Melkor or Morgoth was cast into the void. Sauron almost turned aside from evil, but after a while he went to Barad-Dur and he wanted to conquer the lands there. He was doing very well, but than the Men of Numenor came sailing to Middle-earth. After a very long time the Numenoreans began to make a war upon Sauron and they took him to Numenor as a prisoner. There he was as a prisoner... at first. But Sauron was cunning and talked his way from prisoner to primary counsellor of the King of Numenor. In that position he sickened the hearts of the Numenoreans. They were corrupted and deceived, for Sauron told them that the Valar were scared of them and that could conquer Aman and be immortal and that the 'Lord of All' was Melkor. Many believed him and went to conquer Aman, but some were faithful and they were called the Elendili. The Valar did nothing but call for the aid of Eru and he created a great whirlpool and in it all the ships of the Numenoreans were destroyed and the whole island sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Sauron himself could hardly escape, but he lost his form that day. The Elendili were swept far over the Sea to the shores of Middle-earth. Elendil was their leader and their they made the realm of Gondor for the thread of Sauron was long away. But Sauron returned in a fair disguise and he had given himself the name of Anatar which means (I don't have the books and do not know if I'm wholly right here): Lord of Gifts. He was befriended with the Elves in that time for he learned them many things and they were eager to learn it. So he learned them to make the Rings of Power and he ensnared them, or tried to ensnare them, in that way. The Elves were aware of him when he had the One Ring around his finger and hid the three, and at last they formed the Last Alliance and Sauron was thrown down ones more and the Ring could have been destroyed then, but Isildur kept it, and he was betrayed. Afterwards the Ring came through long ways in the hands of Bilbo. And Sauron was at that growing again in Dol Guldur.

The rest of the tale is known to all here, I guess.

Now for the answer:
In all things Sauron did he was always nurtured by Morgoth. Morgoth still could return as prophecies told, but only when the High King (Manwe) was thrown down from his throne on Taniquetil on Aman. Sauron was always the servant of Morgoth, but he was the thread in later days, not Morgoth. So Sauron was then the Dark Lord, for he was the main problem.

Hoping this rather long answer will help

Greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:06 AM   #7
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yay, lathspell! You got it right on all counts, except for the fact that Manwë will be thrown down from Taniquetil. At the Dagor Dagrath, he will come down from Taniquetil to lead the forces of the Valar and Eldar against Morgoth and the Balrogs. Then whoever has read LT2 knows the rest of the story.

Other than that, great job!
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you, Eruhen.
I already doubted that part of my answer for I haven't read the LT yet. Now I know I want forget [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lathspell is mostly right in what he says about Sauron except for the fact that he befriended the elves and made the rings of power BEFORE he caused the downfall of Numenor. I believe that he lost his fair shape forever when it was destroyed in the fall of Numenor.
Apart from that I believe you are right abou everything else.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote