The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #441
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Let me introduce you to the joy of English Place names.

We have neighbouring villages up the road called Tiptoe and Sway. Other side of Poole you get to Piddletrenthide and other quaintly named villages along the river Piddle. In the New Forest a hill is called a Hat and a valley is a Bottom - so you have Horseshoe Bottom, High Hat etc. I have friends in Nether Poppleton in Yorkshire... and many more ...Here are some more They did rename a place called Lost, Lost Farm since people kept nicking the sign...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-18-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #442
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Monongahela
There's a Monongahela in Michigan too? Guess the ability to pronounce that isn't just a test for being from PA anymore (the Monongahela is one of Pittsburgh's Three Rivers).

More Philly tongue twisters: Conshohocken, Wissahickon, Wyomissing, Manayunk and Schuylkill.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #443
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I particularly adore the place names of the west country.
I have little stories in my head about Queen Camel imperiously bossing around the hapless Bovey Tracey....
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #444
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
Fahrenheit, you weird Europeans
Rational decimalization... how odd!

I assign the decimal system in all its convenience. Now I just need somebody to buy my decimal clock idea...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #445
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign the English Standard system in all its whimsy. Now I just need someone to go along with me in converting all maths into hexadecimal numbering.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #446
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Weird and slightly smutty place names? You want to check out one of Castleton's premier tourist attractions if you ever visit Derbyshire.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #447
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
How about links that cause you laugh out loud, causing various family members to send very odd looks your way. Thanks Lal!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #448
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Placenames

A friend of mine lives in a tiny Dutch village with a name that roughly translates to "Yummy-church".

As for tongue-twisters... "Scheveningen".

Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #449
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign trying to keep a few NY towns straight: Owego, Oswego, Otsego, Otego, Otisco. I have a friend who lives in one of them, but you've got me as to which it is.

And the names of a few others... Poughkeepsie ("Puh-kipsy"), Skaneateles ("Skin-yat-lis"), Rensselaer ("Rinse-uh-leer"). My favorite NY name though, is Canajoharie. It's just fun to say. Say it with me, "Cannidge, Ahari."

Oh, and I assign having the courage to take risks once in a while. Even if the risk is merely saying "Hello."
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #450
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Springtime! I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I feel a lot more cheerful and energetic than I have in ages.

Also, doing silly things for fun, like making Perler beads and sealing wax.

And getting the inspiration to continue working on old projects. That's a good one too.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #451
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Calculus-induced headaches.

Now before you think me insane (which I wholeheartedly accept that I am, by the way), do hear me out. It proves one important thing: my brain still works.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #452
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Having the first day back at school be only a half day, being so 'ill' today that I'll only be going in for the afternoon, and having the afternoon off tomorrow - meaning that my first week back I was barely there!

I'm so not looking forward to a time when I can't just skive

Also soup, very nice on sore throats.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 AM   #453
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Driving practice on your favorite car (you know, the one with bad breaks, no power steering, and veers ever so slightly to the left? the one that most people loathe driving...) with your big brother beside you and the radio full blast as you keep an eye out for deer, kids, and dogs.

Dinner with your grandparents where finally, somebody gets it. "The meat is fantastic." my grandfather teased lovingly. "Leave her alone." Grandma shot back. "She doesn't eat meat and she doesn't have to. And she's healthier than you are, so you can just hush up." And then laughs all around.

Photography adventures on the back of a four-wheeler. Hidden lakes that take effort to reach and, once found, incorporate a slight amount of paranoia into your life given the knowledge that it's getting late and there's a mountain lion in these woods...

Sacrificing sleep for reasons that have nothing to do with homework or finals; working until the wee hours on a surprise birthday present that you know will be loved.

Taking risks and having them pay off. Opening up and realizing that it's okay that you're not perfect.

Road trips with mom.

Scoring high marks after the hardest semester, academically speaking, of your life thus far.

To summarize, I suppose I'll merely assign spring break.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #454
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Classes like the one I had today, in which we got a 10 minute break because my professor managed to break a window trying to kill a wasp with the Divine Comedy. We were blessed with a brief reprieve from our unproductive, frustrating, biased, exclusive discussion!

Exciting political speakers: in November, Jesse Jackson spoke to us, two weeks ago, we heard from Bob Dole, and tonight, the College Democrats are hosting Al Franken. I'm ridiculously excited.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #455
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
An exceptionally magnificent firework display, enjoyed by our whole street this evening, courtesy of Her Majesty, who was celebrating her birthday just across the river. Many happy returns, Ma'am, and thank you. Those rockets were positively Gandalfian, and thus obviously belong in the Shire.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #456
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aye, aye! Seconded. Actually I think Her Majesty was pottering about in the town across the bridge earlier today...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #457
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Aye, aye! Seconded. Actually I think Her Majesty was pottering about in the town across the bridge earlier today...
I thought I'd seen her Madge on TV, hanging about outside the Windsor branch of Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Was there a sale on?

PS
I won't complain about her - we get a day off for her birthday every year in May!
Old 04-22-2006, 04:46 AM   #458
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I started off the evening feeling vaguely peeved with her, as her imminent arrival at Kew Palace meant so many police, outriders etc that our Indian takeaway was very late arriving. But those fireworks more than made up for it. Everyone was outside in the road, enjoying it, cars were stopped everywhere to watch, we all had a jolly natter before going back indoors to continue our Friday evenings....all most convivial....
Old 04-22-2006, 05:34 AM   #459
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I wonder if the sudden police presence around the town had something to do with that . . . it would be odd, we live 2 hours away!

But I'm assigning the police people wandering all over the place. They're very friendly and don't mind when you sidle up to them and mention that you've never seen a real live policeman before. (This is true, I've only ever seen policewomen.)
Old 04-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #460
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I believe the local police force from my hometown (not necessarily where I live now, though it's not too far from Philly ) would fit nicely with the Shire's Shiriffs.

When my parents first bought their house, the previous owner left it a mess. My dad went out to clean the gutters over the garage, and was startled by a strange voice behind him, which turned out to be from a uniformed officer. He'd come to welcome us to the new house and then spent some time helping my dad clean up.

Anyway, the police are very nice there.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #461
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Rensselaer ("Rinse-uh-leer").
That's actually Dutch rather than Native American.

And yes, we actually have a 'Zilwaukee' in Michigan. There's also a Saugutuck. Hmm... how does one tuck a sauga, and what does one tuck it into?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #462
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
That's actually Dutch rather than Native American.
Still fun to say, love, and everybody pronounces it differently. There are some, silly fools they are, that insist it's "Ren-zuh-layer."
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #463
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I assign having an inbox full of kind and funny birthday greetings. Thanks, guys!

Also, having someone to call you and sing 'Paljon onnea vaan' while you're standing in a puddle in the middle of a small forest with your dog since the path you were following just disappeared is definitely Shire-worthy.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 AM   #464
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
I assign having an inbox full of kind and funny birthday greetings. Thanks, guys!

Also, having someone to call you and sing 'Paljon onnea vaan' while you're standing in a puddle in the middle of a small forest with your dog since the path you were following just disappeared is definitely Shire-worthy.
In case Nilp forgot to greet you for me, happy birthday.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #465
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I would like to remind all participating members that the long life and survival of this thread is directly connected to its being kept free of chatting. Off-topic posts may be edited or deleted by a moderator if you do not do so yourself.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #466
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I assign chat skwerls, how cute they are
Old 04-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #467
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Suckup... but well intentioned at least

I assign all the mods while we are it, all the users of the BD. This forum is so much better than any other I've been to that should it be anywhere else but the Shire, it might cause a glitch in the time-space continuum that may cause us to pass out.... or destroy the whole universe.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #468
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I assign the sudden tears - no matter how few - that fall after keeping them in against your will for so long. And the people who made it possible. Love y'all.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-24-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #469
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When the guy friend of yours whom you secretly fancy breaks up with his girlfriend. Muahaha... maybe this relationship stuff isn't so terrible...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #470
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I finally thought of something useful to post!

I assign April. Silly though it sounds, it's a good month.

Here in the Southern Hemisphere, it's Autumn, and a season I quite enjoy. It's just cold enough that a coat will keep you warm (as opposed to me NEVER being able to keep warm in the middle of winter....*grumble*), and you get wonderful acts like roasting chestnuts to make it warmer. A season to lock yourself up indoors and enjoy good people's company. *nudges the Downs*

Another reason I assign April is that today's the 25th, or ANZAC Day. To remember those who gave and are still giving their lives for your peace and contentment is never a bad thing.

Hope that wasn't too corny for you all! *giggles*

Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 04-25-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #471
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign that good smell when you're peeling an orange.

I also assign that the trees are finally green, and in fact the color green itself.

Be praised for all Your tenderness
By these works of Your hands
Suns that rise and rains that fall to bless
And bring to life Your land
Look down upon this winter wheat
And be glad that You have made
Blue for the sky and the color green
That fills these fields with praise

Except that horrid avocado green that was popular in the seventies, and the green/yellow color of disgusting and molding things that I won't mention.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #472
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Being reminded of primary school excitment for the first day of classes by your own giddiness and inability to avoid showing up to your classes, even the second day, early. Yesterday we got the basics of the classes and spent an hour learning how to lie convincingly. Today I get to play with Adobe Photoshop while the rest of the class learns to use it and then I get to sit and write. I forgot how exciting it is to really want to go to classes.

And I assign grapefruit juice and dreams in other languages. Allergy medicine that kicks in fast, and sunlight that sneaks through my window to wake me up more gently than an alarm clock ever could.

I assign long phone calls and photos taken just for me.

I assign my entire good mood because I don't have any more time to explain, given I have one of those classes in ten minutes.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #473
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

To the Shire:
Finding out that I got a spot for an ophthalmology clerkship at a fairly famous ophthalmology center.

It's not the date I wanted (scheduled after application reviews and interviews are over), but spots are hard to get, and at least they'll know my name when my residency application shows up on their desk.

Good thing I checked my email. I'm a little less bitter about my presentation in half an hour now.

Last edited by Celuien; 04-25-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Celuien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #474
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
I just saw that I have finally passed Accurate English with rather astonishingly high grades.

This means I will never ever have to prove that I can speak / write English again. Only those who have taken as many extremely dull and painful language acquisition courses as I have can truly understand what a blessing this is.

So yeah. I assign 'eventually passing a horrible course' to the Shire.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #475
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign the nights when Neal cooks. This chicken is incredible.

Which reminds me to assign whole chickens. You can roast them, cut them up, whatever...and they're so much better than any of the stuff we can afford to buy cut up. And they're so CHEAP!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #476
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
GIRL SCOUT COOKIEEEEES!! I have three boxes all to myself! *mwahaha*

Namely Samoas, but especially thin mints.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #477
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Knowing you're going to see your friends for the first time in a week tomorrow, even if it will only be for a few minutes.

Having teachers that are wonderfully understanding about the health problems you've been having recently, and have given you extensions on coursework and are offering extra help when you get back so you can catch up.

My mum and dad, who have rearranged their whole working week in order that they can keep an eye on me (in a good way for once!).

Having my godmother get the job she applied for and knowing she'll be great at it. And knowing that the teacher who opposed the idea of her going for said job when I mentioned it to him will now be proved wrong.

Almost being able to breathe normally all day for the first time in a week.

The 'pom pom' music on the Sky TV guide!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #478
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Agh! I just wasted my 1000th post on a flubbed assignation!!! GAH!

Discovering in the car on the way to church that you missed a spot shaving...just BELOW your hemline.

Umm...wrong place. Must go assign this elsewhere. Here I'll assign that I was the only one who noticed.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 04-26-2006 at 06:58 PM.
JennyHallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #479
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laitoste
... my professor managed to break a window trying to kill a wasp with the Divine Comedy.
There's something elegant about that. A metaphor in there somewhere, don't you think?

Um, I assign English muffins.

And writers' festivals that actually do inspire writing. .... and reawaken my love for poetry. Writing it, that is; ... and also delving into the wonders of Emily Dickinson.... for the fun and joy of it, not having to take classes or prepare for exams....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:02 AM   #480
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Um, I assign English muffins.
Which sort? The ones that are like cakes/buns/fairy cakes and come in flavours like choccie and lemon (you get these in Greggs, and they are lovely)? Or the ones that are quite flat and doughy, and that McDonalds do in a morning, e.g. the very tasty Egg McMuffin? Or the Lancashire Oven Bottom ones that are like a slightly overcooked barm cake/bap/roll/breadcake/stottie? I currently favour the latter - we have them stuffed with honey and mustard sausages and Lee & Perrins Worcester & Tomato sauce on a Sunday morning. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I assign regional food confusion.