The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #801
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Lie ins! First one for a week.

Also, finding out that the rest of your hall is as nerdy as you are, and spending the evening watching First Contact, discussing RPGs and arguing over whether the Enterprise would beat a star destroyer in a fight.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #802
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Also, finding out that the rest of your hall is as nerdy as you are, and spending the evening watching First Contact, discussing RPGs and arguing over whether the Enterprise would beat a star destroyer in a fight.
Everyone knows a Star Destroyer would win- those things are battleships, pure and simple, with no other real purpose. Well armed as the Enterprise might be, it's more of a multi-purpose vessel. Also, the Star Destroyer is close to twice the Enterprise's length, if I recall correctly.

Erm... Anyways...

The REAL reason I'm visiting this thread is to assign today's peanut-butter cookies to the Shire. I can't recall the last time I had a cookie half so good. Moist, crumbly, and FULL of peanut-buttery taste... simply divine!

I already had four... and I still want more.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #803
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Everyone knows a Star Destroyer would win- those things are battleships, pure and simple, with no other real purpose. Well armed as the Enterprise might be, it's more of a multi-purpose vessel. Also, the Star Destroyer is close to twice the Enterprise's length, if I recall correctly.
But, the Enterprise can fire at warp and has quantum torpedoes. Methinks it's an easy win.

I assign the feeling of being warm and dry after getting so soaked I swear I was 2 stone heavier when I returned than when I left.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #804
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My parents found our new rental house today. It's huge and beautiful, though I haven't seen it yet. It's got a tennis court. With trees in it! Too bad we're completely inept at tennis.

I get my own room! Yayyyyy!! And probably another whole room for my drums! :disco: Well, a whole music room anyway with space for them.

I might as well assign the whole process that has resulted in my Dad's getting this new job. It's been pretty great (not packing so much, though) so far, and we are all excited for what is to come.

I also assign going out to eat with a bunch of people you haven't seen in a while, even though you might not see them ever again. Also, one of said friend's two-month-old baby. He's such a sweetie.

Another wonderful thing is all-you-can-eat bacon, waffles & fruit, but especially the bacon.

I also assign the wonderful LOUD stereo in my car. Driving wouldn't be half as fun without it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #805
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
ehm I kind of assign this afternoon, it was great.

First of all the weather was lovely. The sun was shining, not a cloud on the sky and a lovely cool wind. It was to cool to go around in T-shirt (exept if you are english) and to warm to wear a jacket, just as I like it. Further more I was at one of the most amazing sites in the world. Kronborg, a fabulous renaissance castle, renown for being the setting of Shakespears Hamlet.

The only down side to this afternoon is that all of the great national treasures that is there are not danish anymore, they where all taken by the swedish as spoils of war and are only borrowed! (If we can return Islandic and Russian treasures, why can't the swedes ?)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #806
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Remember about that English "sheen of green"? For well on two weeks now we in the Great Lakes have had English temperatures and an English amount of rain, and the grass! The grass! The lawns! The only things missing are sheep to graze, and the correct angle of the sun, though perhaps this is equivalent to London in July (just a guess). Gloaming at high noon! But it's Autumn, the perfect season for it, and it especially brings back memories of a wonderful trip a year ago to the blessed isle. Such green and such memories do indeed belong in the Shire.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #807
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

So that's where all our rain has gone. Bring it back, thief!

I assign going to your first real lecture and discovering that it wasn't half as bad as you thought it was going to be considering it was statistics, because the textbook for the course is specifically named: Statistics without maths.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #808
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Spray-on starch. Partly because it makes the ironing easier but also because really crisp italian cotton is so nice to wear. I am lazy so I usually wear cotton jersey tops but I had an interview today hence the formal shirt...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #809
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign those days when you are dreading going to work, then no sooner than the thought entered my mind, my boss called to give me the day off...WooHoo!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #810
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign lazy days when things still manage to get done. Hello, relaxation.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #811
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Exam week. I don't have to wake up as early as I normally do. (It begins tomorrow. You might ask me again about this in a few days and I won't promise that it will still be assigned to Shire rather than Mordor... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #812
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign Yom Kippur. I got a day off.

Happy Yom Kippur!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #813
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I assign my own bed. It feels great, especially after a cross country meet. 18:24 5k PR! Booyakah!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 AM   #814
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Exam week. I don't have to wake up as early as I normally do. (It begins tomorrow. You might ask me again about this in a few days and I won't promise that it will still be assigned to Shire rather than Mordor... )
Could reassign it. Exam week is like a holiday; only few hours of school each day (if at all) and the exams were pretty easy, aftre all..

I assign also the soundtrack of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's great.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #815
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

post #200 booyakah!

I assign LOST !
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #816
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
I assign LOST !
Sorry but reality TV shows have already been assigned to Mordor.

(yes I know it doesn't LOOK like a reality tv show.....)
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #817
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
along with people that salt their food before tasting it. . .now be gone

Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #818
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Thumbs up

A wonderful Saturday night with good friends, good beer and an in house band that does great renditions from the Sultans of Swing.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #819
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Walking in the dark forest while listening to The Fear of the Dark and "dark forest music". Sometimes that sure does you good...

Alexei Ribnikov for writing such a great rock opera.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #820
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Omigosh, sushi. Yum. I've been missing out.

More specifically, having class at a sushi bar. Discussing Marx and Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky over vegetarian sushi... mmm.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #821
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I swear, it's cool enough to double post.

Understanding, after almost three weeks of mental grappling, everything Immanuel Kant was talking about!

Moral Calculus. Amazing.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #822
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

I assign the Mouth of Sauron for being such an interesting and mysterious being.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #823
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I doubt any one understands Kant. . . .I think someone once said something like this "All philosophers before Kant should count them self lucky, as they did not have to study Kant" It wording was probably much better, but you get the picture.

If you Fea, truly understand Kant, I can only say that you amaze me even more than you did before and I shall recognise you as my superior.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #824
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The sort of professor that lets you sit brooding in his office for a few hours, moping and feeling utterly sorry for yourself, being both hypochondriac extraordinaire and moody English Major, and then laughs at you.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #825
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
I assign friends coming over to see you when your ill. Especially when they bring treats!!!
________
Arizona medical marijuana

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:52 AM   #826
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
House. (Thank goodness it's no reality show. Hah, Elempi. )

Surprising a friend with a "Merry Christmas!" greeting in a bowling alley when it's her birthday.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #827
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

The feeling of freedom that comes when you no longer have an essay peering at you from around corners the whole time.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #828
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

The tidied up veggie garden where Hallowe'en's pumpkin people will now retire. We'll light up their stubs of candles each dark, cold night until their orange cheeks begin to fall in upon themselves . . .
Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #829
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fea, for assigning Derrida to Mordor.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #830
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Hah, Elempi.
Wha'd I say? Wha'd I say?

I assign finding unexpected references to yours truly on the Downs. Good as reps. Thanks, Lhuna.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #831
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign being back after an extended abscence.

And (finally) getting my new library card in the mail!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #832
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Let me assign having you back then

Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 AM   #833
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Adhesive tape, for being a way to mend nearly anything (including earphones)
Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #834
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
My own earphones have a break repaired as well, wrapped in duct-tape.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #835
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Duct-tape can fix anything ! (we call it Gaffa-tape)

They use it for last minute repairs at areoplains. . . .

Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #836
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Actually, it's a slightly different product that is used on aeroplanes. My husband is an aircraft mechanic and firmly corrected me last time I made that claim.

My dad and I used duct-tape to repair a fence once. It was supposed to be there to keep the dogs in the yard just long enough for us to go purchase a new board, and ended up lasting for two years, before the board was replaced in order to sell that house.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #837
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I was joking. . .
I too have a family member that is an air craft mechanic, he did tell me that they did not use ducked-tape, but he did not say that they used some other tape.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #838
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

It's called, creatively, aircraft tape.

I assign the mathoms my husband brings home from work. Odd tools and switches and parts, the purpose of which is a mystery to me, and the guessing games he plays with me. The other day he got me good with this metal cylnder the size of a battery that clacked inside when you shook it. Turns out it's called a "G-switch".
Old 11-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #839
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I assign finding out that your lecture tomorrow is cancelled, meaning that you can go home nearly two hours earlier than expected!

Also the relief that comes when you discover that today is not the deadline for a piece of work you haven't even started yet.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #840
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Let me assign having you back then
Thank you.

I can't believe I forgot to assign the best thing of all so far - a faster DSL connection! Now I can download eighty things and still surf the Downs at a decent speed.