The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Cormallen Hill Residential Estate

I came across the website for a 'Cormallen Hill Residential Estate', located in Olympus, a suburb of Pretoria, South Africa:

http://cormallenhill.co.za/

It describes the estate as follows:

Cormallen Hill Residential Estate is a secure and tranquil private estate situated in Pretoria east’s newly established upmarket residential neighbourhood of Olympus. The estate is in close proximity to schools, hospitals, regional shopping centres and is strategically located for the business person wanting to establish an office close to home. Its location provides easy access to major routes and highways.

The estate offers 24 hour guarded security to enable you the peace of mind you require from modern living while you embrace and enjoy life. Security of residents in the estate is priority. Access to the estate is controlled and monitored by several integrated security systems and is also foot patrolled.

Cormallen Hill Residential Estate was proclaimed in 2005 as a full title residential development comprising of 147 land owners.

It also acknowledges the origin of the estate's name:

Cormallen Hill Residential Estate is believed to derive its name from the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings. In the elves language of Sindarin most commonly spoken in Middle-earth, Cormallen is believed to have the meaning of "golden circle" from cor meaning "round, circular enclosure" and mallen meaning "of gold”.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
It also acknowledges the origin of the estate's name:

Cormallen Hill Residential Estate is believed to derive its name from the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings. In the elves language of Sindarin most commonly spoken in Middle-earth, Cormallen is believed to have the meaning of "golden circle" from cor meaning "round, circular enclosure" and mallen meaning "of gold”.
I salute their honesty in stating that, and in going into detail about the linguistics.

There is an affluent-ish area of Oklahoma City that is named Rivendell, with appropriately (ish) themed street names.

It doesn't look too Rivendelly to my taste, though.

Of course, I guess that is better than the Erebor or Khazad-dum subdivisions where I would expect all the houses to look like small mountains...