Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #481
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Sorry I have not been more active!
Shame, shame, shame, Durelin! But I like Lommy's choice of words better: Write, write, write! And now that I'm back from vacation I will "write, write, write" right away. Another post will be coming for Tror tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Just a quick question - the Dwarf warriors currently battling the orc forces are only the regular army + Kor? And all the other able-bodied dwarves are still gathering as 'reinforcements' of sorts?
The dwarf's "regular army" is there, yes. However, when Nali went to get Kenan the Great Hall was nearly emptied of warriors. There has been a steady stream of the citizens heading to the East gate. Still, that's not to say that the hall isn't entirely empty. If you need a few warriors to be in the Great Hall, Durelin, they can be there, but for the most part the entire force is at the East Gate.

Also, Legate: in my description of the dwarves attendant at the battle (in my post for Drok the Loremaster) I erased Onli's name from it. I saw the last post that you wrote for him and it looked like he might be busy for sometime and probably wouldn't make it to the battlefield before Nali. Anyhow, Nali is very angry at him. It's up to you how Onli finds Nali--if he finds him at all.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #482
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have real internet again, huzzah.

I've filled in part of my save. I'm not sure how Kénan is going to react so once I hear from Folwren on the subject I'll finish my save.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #483
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I can't wait to see the rest of that save Kitanna.

Also, in my last post I had a set up for someone to heroically help save Tror. If anyone remembers he got a bit of iron stuck in him from the skirmish with the Orcs and it now looks like the shrapnel has stuck into the marrow of his rib. Durelin and Boromir88, I believe that your characters (Gror and Kor) are very near Tror and can get to him, but once again the role is open to anyone.

Looking forward to all those upcoming posts.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #484
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I replied to Kitanna. I'm looking forward to the rest of her save being filled. Can't wait to get on to the battles and action!

-- Foley
Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #485
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's been a long time since I wrote a battle post. That was hard.

Hopefully I interpreted Tror's predicament correctly. A sort of rescue party is on its way, but I wanted to leave the rest to you, Groin. Let me know if I ended my post on a bad note and should get things to a more specific place if you know what I mean...

I'm having lots of trouble communicating right now (and typing, too...), so I apologize if I'm not making any sense...and if my post doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #486
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hey, great.

I'm going to write during this weekend - hopefully - and introduce something interesting Groin came up with...

I'll be here for two weeks or so now but then I will be away for all of July - I'm going InterRailing around Europe so I can't write any RPGs. I hope you do fine without me and I also think that this game will be rather slow then anyway as everybody has holidays... but I hope people will write actively even when I'm not here to kick them to do it. No, seriously, you're a great crew and far more active than many I know. Let's keep up the good job!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #487
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Both of my characters are out of the battle. Durelin, if you want to continue anything for Kor, you have my permission to handle Tror.

I shall be gone tomorrow until July 4th on a trip to Oxford. Lommy will be in charge until then (do what she says, or else...). Ya'll have fun with this while I am gone. I look forward to reading the posts when I get back.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #488
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have posted for Lóni a bit. I may post for others too, but I am just quite busy nowadays. Onli seemingly remained somewhere inside. I guess I will post for him too, but maybe after more is to see also inside. I will see about Óin.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #489
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Hi everybody, I'm off to tour Europe, please be active while I'm gone. See you all in August, don't be afraid to use my characters meanwhile!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #490
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It took a while, but I finished my save.

I have a few days off soon so I'll probably get up another post up before the end of the week. Or at least that's my plan.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #491
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm back. I hope everybody's is having fun with summer, I know I am.

Kitanna, very nice save. You surprised me when Kenan took his grandson to battle--desperate measures for desperate times.

Thanks for posting about the battle, Legate; it is always nice to see another point of view. Unless other people want to post about the battle I suspect I will be summing it up soon. I have been away for a while and it doesn't seem like the battle is that big of a deal; besides, there will always be more. I'll close it up at the beginning of the week unless there are objections.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #492
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Meep, has it really been over a month since I posted? I've been horrible, sorry...not helping pick back up momentum at all. Moving on very soon sounds good...but I'll try to sneak a post in to continue with Kor and maybe bring Korin up to date. Got to figure out what to do with her (besides the obvious of getting her out on the battlefield as soon as possible). Anyone need her for anything?

Edit: I filled my save I put up rather needlessly.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-22-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #493
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright y'all. I'll be getting up a post for Tror and Nisa tomorrow afternoon. I'd like to see at least one more post from Onli, Ori, Oin, and Kor/Korin before I close the battle. It doesn't have to be long, I just like to read y'all's posts.

If you don't think you can get another post up let me know and I will be sure to give your character some extra attention in the battle overview post.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #494
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I think moving on from the battle as soon as possible is a good idea. Battles may be the most exciting part of pen and paper RPing (as in DnD), but in forum roleplaying, especially a large scale battle isn't the most stimulating. It's hard to keep things interesting while also keeping them realistic, in a way. I don't know - this is my experience at least.

I definitely don't think we should dwell too long on any of the battles, and should keep events moving, regardless of who or how many people are posting. Just my two cents. I'll try my best to help keep events moving and bring back some momentum, not that I've ever been very good at that...

Anyway, I like where I left Kor and Korin...Kor was with the dwarves who took Tror back to the 'hospital', Korin kinda ended up in the reserves that haven't entered the battle yet. If you want me to bring Kor back out to the battle or have Korin's regiment (or whatever it should be called) really enter the battle, I suppose I could, but...I'd prefer to move on, and if it's just going to be another post from me and then the wrap up post it doesn't really feel like there's much of a point. And no need to cover anything with Kor and Korin really in your wrap up post - Korin's moment of glory will come later.

Edit: Aha, upon reading your post Groin, I will try to get a post in for Kor quickly, but don't wait on me of course.

Last edited by Durelin; 08-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #495
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hello, is anybody there?

I'll get a post up for Tror soon, Durelin. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #496
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have been debating with myself for a long time on whether or not I should leave the Downs. However, with much needless worry and careful deliberation I have made the decision to leave the Barrow Downs for.

Since y'all are the only people who will be affected by my leaving I wanted to bring it to you. My question is will this RPG continue if I'm gone? Dury and Lommy have been the only ones who have played a major role in it so far and everybody else seems to pop in when their character is being confronted. Do y'all want to continue this or should Pio shut it down?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #497
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

??

I hope this is a fond farewell... But regardless, no worries. If others would like to continue the game, I will stick around with it, but if not, what was written of it is excellent and was much fun.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #498
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So sorry to see such a good RP'er go!!

If you do decide to close this game - Groin perhaps you would like to write a little wrap-up ending?? A few last words from the quill of loremaster Drok . . . ???

~*~ Pio
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #499
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Silmaril

If Groin is indeed to leave, I'd like to continue writing this RPG anyway - like I told him in a PM I sent him yesterday - if the players still have any enthusiasm. I'm back from my internet-less holiday and I can be around now, and I can adopt all or some of Groin's characters if needs be and I know I can manage an RPG alone (if someone wants to step up to be a co-owner, though, they're welcome to do so). I would hate to see this RPG die, I've seen it happen so many times and if I may say so as a game-owner, this is a good game and I'd like to see it continue.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #500
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Whatever the situation, I'm going to write a post for both my characters sometime (soon) this week. I agree we should get done with the battle and continue soon. I hope all you sleepies are slowly waking to a new autumn and to tha fact that you are writing in an RPG that is still going on. Thanks for Groin and Dury for keeping this game alive during the summer - and writing wonderful posts, I'll rep you as soon as I have some rep to spare.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #501
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I had an extraordinarily busy summer, but I think I might be able to find time to start getting some posts in again. I'd love to see the RPG continue.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #502
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm... I'm the type to pick up when everything seems hopeless. If you leave, Groin, and others want to continue, chances are, I'll become involved again. It's my way, unfortunately. I should be faithful even if you stay. I WILL be faithful if you decide to stay. Why don't you stick about until this game ends? I'll put extra effort into it and maybe we can finish it in a month. *wry, dry, humorless smile*

-- Foley
Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #503
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Hm... I'm the type to pick up when everything seems hopeless. If you leave, Groin, and others want to continue, chances are, I'll become involved again. It's my way, unfortunately. I should be faithful even if you stay. I WILL be faithful if you decide to stay. Why don't you stick about until this game ends? I'll put extra effort into it and maybe we can finish it in a month. *wry, dry, humorless smile*

-- Foley
Well, somewhat this resounds with me. I would really like to see Groin remaining here, especially as he is a large part of this RPG. Certainly anyway, I think this game deserves finishing. (I spoke already on that matter to Groin in a PM, too.)
And like many others, I have been busy during the summer, but I am on and ready and from now on, I should be around - so I guess I will post soon too.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #504
Kitanna
Child of the West

I'm far behind on reading this, but I'd like to see this through until the end. I'm not returning to university so papers and classes won't be taking up all my time.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #505
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I've been talking with Groin about the future of the RPG and I'll inform you all when we reach a conclusion. But the game is continuing in any case, and in any case I think we could try to finish this somewhere in near future (I'm not hopeful like Foley and say a month*, I say "before Christmas, hopefully nearer October than January").

*although we could try to play this so far in a month that Groin gets rid of his characters, and then we could finish without him in the next 1-3 months...?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #506
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, as for posting: I don't know right now, or at least do not have any special inspiration, of what to post for my characters. I think I would mainly prefer to get some general idea on which direction we are taking, in other words, for me personally it would be best to see the battle enclosed (unless something else significant is supposed to happen) and THEN I would post. Onli is not taking part in the battle anyway, I will probably let him encounter Náli in the aftermath. Óin was in the battle, but I can either just post some "flashback" post on how he felt about the battle (he had no special encounter there), or see above - maybe if you had any special plans for the battle yet, I could get him involved (but I would need to know first what is to happen). Similarly with Lóni. So what is it - are we retreating, or doing some more stuff, or what? Or then, like I said, I need not to post for any of these guys in the battle anymore at all (there will be other battles following anyway) and I can just start posting for them after the battle is finished.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #507
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have received lots of PMs from ya'll, some telling me goodbye and some asking me to stay. The reason for my leaving is because of a school course that I want to undertake this year, a course that take lots of my time. So instead of just disappearing and leave ya'll waiting I wanted to slip out. However that's not the case.

Legate and Lommy both PMed me the other day and asked me to reconsider leaving. Legate pointed out that I haven't undertaken my studies yet so I don't know how much time it will take of mine, so therefore I might be overreacting. I've stopped and thought about it and I agree. Therefore, I will wait until I actually begin my studying before I make a decision to stay or leave.

My studying will begin on Monday and I will have the answer by the end of that first week. Nevertheless, if I decide to stay I suspect that my studies will reduce my time with this RPG and the 'Downs. However, I will get one more post up if I decide to leave.

I know I sound like a hypocritical jerk by saying all this. Thanks for all your good wishes and concern, I really didn't expect this reaction.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #508
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Looking forward to see how it goes, Groin.

Legate - I think the battle will be finished now. When Groin posts next, he may do it. Or, if he prefers, I can edit an ending to it after my post for Ori (in case I post before him, like I hope). So anyone wishing to still smash some orc skulls or do heroic deeds, the floor is yours, but not for long (less than a week?).

I will try to get a post up soon, I just forgot I was supposed to make one.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #509
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Groin, if you're writing before Monday, please close the battle. I don't need to write for Ori, there's not much to say about him. But if you haven't written by then (you don't have to! ) I will close the battle by writing from Ori's perspective sometime early next week...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #510
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post

Legate and Lommy both PMed me the other day and asked me to reconsider leaving. Legate pointed out that I haven't undertaken my studies yet so I don't know how much time it will take of mine, so therefore I might be overreacting. I've stopped and thought about it and I agree. Therefore, I will wait until I actually begin my studying before I make a decision to stay or leave.

Good call, chief. Besides, you'll need something to do for fun on the weekends. Speaking from experience, I had no trouble balancing the Barrow-Downs with undergraduate studies, and I went to Wheaton College in IL, which is a relatively difficult school. You'll be fine.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #511
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Bummer, I was in the making of a post to go before your most recent one, Groin, but ran out of time. I think I'll go ahead and finish it and post it here so that someone can post it in it's proper place on the thread (the poster before you - I don't recall - was it another of your posts?)

I'll do that tomorrow.

-- Foley
Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #512
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll delete my post, Folwren. When you put yours back in I'll post mine again.

By the way, I will be able to write a day a week on the Downs (we get a day off of studies each Sunday). Every week I'll come on and check on how things are going.

Also, so that I will not be an anchor to this RPG, my characters are open to be used if any of your characters come into play with mine.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #513
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

I think that sounds pretty good, Groin. Good luck to your studies, then, and we will try (surely all of us, now wouldn't we, people? ) to hold the standards and keep giving you something good to read when you come.
*starts warming up the engines*
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #514
Kitanna
Child of the West

I read a bit of Groin's last post, mmm such good stuff. I was gonna put up a save (actually did and then deleted it)but instead I'll just do a quick Iari post that deals with her reaction to Keni's death. My plan is to do so tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #515
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Could someone in charge tell me what Frar should be doing currently? I want to start writing again.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #516
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm not in charge, but I think I can tell you what he should be doing. If Frar is someone who can fight, he should be coming in, exhausted or wounded or something, from the first battle, which the dwarves just won by a narrow margin.

If you read Groin's latest post, you'll pretty much know where to start up again.

-- Foley
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #517
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Will do.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #518
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'll be gone this weekend. I wanted to write a post for Kenan today, but was too busy. I'll write Monday. Maybe by the, Kitanna will have finished her post, which will be perfect for me.

-- Folwren
Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #519
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I guess I will also throw something in during the weekend. It's time for my characters to start appearing in their places again.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #520
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

All right, I have written something for Lóni now. Groin, whenever you are around, you can add some kind of response to my post - either from Nisa or even from Náli, if you want him to wake up. It can be just something simple, or whatever you choose. I am also planning to throw Onli into the mess, returning a bit late to his place by Náli's side, so you could even use him. So, if you don't want to reply to Lóni, you can write that Nisa or Náli (if you make him awaken) could see Onli emerging behind Lóni's shoulder, and they can make some comments as to what they feel about Onli's abandoning of his duty. Or you can leave it for me to do later.

Óin is going to wander somewhere in the corridors after briefly seeing Trór, we may not even need to write about that in particular. If somebody feels like initiating a dialogue with him or something, you may.