The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #41
Ar-Wilson the Mighty

Hmmm well I live in New Zealand in a seaside city with rolling hills which really isnt much like anything in Middle Earth I dont think. But my holiday house further inland has snow tipped mountains, lakes and native forests, Its actually the location where Isengard was filmed so I guess my holiday house is Orthanc!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #42
Silent Sam
Pile O'Bones

Silent Sam has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings, I'm Silent Sam. But you can call me 'Sam' if you want to save time.
I'm pretty new to these boards, but I've been on the site quite alot.

Anywho,
I live in Summerside, P.E.I.
It's a really small town, and not many people have cars, because everything is pretty much walking distance, there. It's on the island's West Side, on a narrow spit of land. Because it lies on the warmer south shore, it is said to be on the "Summer side" of the Island. My town's filled with wood-frame houses, and stuff like that.

It's interesting, some parts are flat for miles; much like Rohan, which is understandable, because that's where the farmers' horse fields are. But some places are very hilly and smooth; much like the Shire.

Where I live personally, is right in the edge of a cliff by an abandoned lighthouse. If you walked for mabye a few meteres, you'd be falling in the ocean. So, mabye Bay Of Befalas?
But Im also close to a HUGE forest as well, so Mirkwood/Fangorn? But the forest more like the opening scene of Lothlorien, if you ask me...
--------------------
Beware of still people and silent watchers...
Silent Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #43
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I live in Norway, in a kind of Mountainous region near the sea, with long inlets here and there. So it would probably around Lindon. A nice place, with a comforting distance to Mordor, and not a orc in sight.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #44
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where I live it doesn't look like any specific place in ME; but the feel of the land changes with different kinds of weather. When it's cloudy it feels like Minas Tirith or the Dead Marshes; when it's sunny, Bree or the Shire ; when it's partly cloudy; Fangorn or Lorien. At night it feels the most like the Old Forest. However, there is one place in my town that looks and feels like Fangorn nearly all of the time; it alternates with Rivendell depending on if it's cloudly or not. I guess you could call the paper mill Isengard; smoke is always rising from it these days. So I live everywhere and nowhere in ME at once.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:45 PM   #45
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Dagnammit, She still floats! The thread, I mean.

I love hearing about all these "faraway and foreign" places. Makes me wish I had money to travel. Though before I've said my hometown looks like Ithilien...all this winter and wet makes it look more like the Wilderlands east of the misty mountains...reading the descriptions in the Hobbit, the darker trees and skies, plus the weather, are making me long for summer, and Ithilien. Oh well, I can wait.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #46
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

well, well, where i live doesn't resemble much of anything middle earthish, but once you get out of the town it look like Rohan, and there are mountains in the distance.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #47
Ngole Yaviemiel

Nothing around me resembles Middle Earth. Ya, I WISH! There used to be these awesome trails through the woods in my neighborhood..... then they developed it, and there are about 100 houses standing there instead.

My friend lives by this lake, and she owns about 5 acres of woods, and she has made trails... we named all these places by LOTR stuff. I love it! There is this creek we call Anduin... it is way neat-- it has a little waterfall we call the Falls of Rauros...and the surrounding banks we call Emyn Muil... lol. Down on my grandpa's farm, it is 120 acres of pasture and ponds/creeks... there is tons of stuff down there I name by LOTR ways...

But, near me, there are houses, and busy highways-- VERY Middle Earthy!! lol
Old 04-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #48
Vilyon
Pile O'Bones

Vilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up I live...

I would have to say the Shire. I live near the sea, with a big hill close by, have a friendly neighbourhood and live relatively close to a river.

"I must apologise for Wimp Lo, he is an idiot, we have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke"
Vilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #49
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

Not like this hasn't been said, but probably the Shire. Rolling hills, woods, etc. Small streams, I love it but would rather be in Gondor sometimes.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #50
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I know!

I've decided that since the movies came out that I literally live in Middle-Earth. NO, I don't live in New Zealand. I live in British Columbia Canada, which was rumored to have been thought of in the location for the movies. BC looks so much like New Zealand (or the other way around) it's uncanny. The mountains here are smaller, BUT their still mountains. Everytime I take a BC Ferry, and I look over the mainland mountains, covered in Mists, guess what I think of.
always eating chicken?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 AM   #51
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

To be less specific, I live in a relatively small country that is separated from the rest of mainland Asia...an island (actually, there are 7, 107 of them!) standing in the midst of waters...more like Tol Eressea, I guess. Or Numenor? Or the isle of Balar? I don't know...I'm lost. Help?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:03 AM   #52
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Put those three together, add 7,104 and then you have it.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #53
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I live in Oregon, which is basically trees and mountains all over the place.

I live smack dab in between two mountains, so I guess I could say that I live in the Misty Mountains. However, at my college campus, you can see this place that I swear looks like Rohan. Unfortunately, a river, (which has been dubbed Anduin by me) runs through it and I don't think the Anduin runs through Rohan. Oh well. Maybe I should call the valley Amon Hen instead of Rohan. Then I can dream about orcs running around down there, shooting Boromir.. Ahh...

MAEG!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 AM   #54
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Where I live kinda resembles Bree just alot nearer the sea, can't really figure out whereabouts in ME that would be.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #55
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yai Band Trips!

I am currently using free internet in a hotel far away from where I live. Yes, I am on a band trip. But the sights rock! Going through the mountains, and the huge fields in Alberta. Yeah, you know where this is going....descreet rolling hills...misty...huge rivers. Yeah, I swear, if I didn't know any better (or was carrying a map) I'd swear I was you know where. Later all...
always eating chicken?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:48 PM   #56
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I live in Udun, which means, of course, Hell. There is nowhere else in Middle-Earth that would resemble Las Vegas.

The orcs are probably heavy gamblers, anyway.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:59 PM   #57
dkhyrosha
Pile O'Bones

dkhyrosha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dkhyrosha Send a message via MSN to dkhyrosha Send a message via Yahoo to dkhyrosha
I like in a small city with lots of trees and parks. If you stay in my part of town, I guess you could say...

Rivendell, maybe Lothlorien

Dani
dkhyrosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #58
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield

Quote:
I am currently using free internet in a hotel far away from where I live. Yes, I am on a band trip. But the sights rock! Going through the mountains, and the huge fields in Alberta. Yeah, you know where this is going....descreet rolling hills...misty...huge rivers. Yeah, I swear, if I didn't know any better (or was carrying a map) I'd swear I was you know where. Later all...
Ah... someone who will believe me when I say that Alberta IS Middle-earth is disguise!

I am of Alberta, the more west parts, I think... nearish to Edmonton. I have decreeded that we live either in Buckland... the Shire... just look around, or in Rohan... whenever I go to my best friends, well, if you were there, you'd know what I mean. It IS Rohan! Not to mention the area we titled Fangorn... or Mirkwood... or Midgewater...

We even made a map of our hometown and area, and labled it with the Middle-earth places! Trust me, they must film the Hobbit here!

And if they won't do it, I will!

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #59
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Well my dad grew up in Northern Ireland (part of Tol Erresea), in Riverdale, near Moira. That's almost enough to get you into the Fellowshio I reckons.

"Many had heard of the House of Jim in Riverdale, but few knew where it lay..."

"'I do not to wish to enter Moira either.'

'Of course not! Who would? But if I lead you there, who will follow?'"

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #60
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey, the only part that we went through (in Alberta) that didn't look remotely like anything Tolkien was Drumheller. Now, if you've never heard of Drumheller, it's pretty famous for its dinosaur museum, but seriously, the place is a hole. Literally! It's in a canyon! I've never heard of any Middle-Earth Canyons...save maybe north, but I'm not counting that.
always eating chicken?
Old 05-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #61
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Okay, I admit it, Drumheller doesn't look a thing like Tolkien... maybe Harad... snrk... However, come and check out the Vegreville area... or around Edmonton... or Edson... in those areas you will see Middle-earth. I'd tell you where I lived to prove that it looks like a Tolkienish area, but I'm not allowed to. So therefore I can just name places that I've been and let you guess.

They must film Lake Town near Lake Whitney... very cool place for that...

I will always defend Canada and the fact that it looks like Middle-earth, Alberta, anyhow.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 05-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #62
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tru-dat, Skywalker. BC and Alberta alike. And maybe the Yukon if we're in good moods.
always eating chicken?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #63
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

You realize that you are the first person to call me 'Skywalker'. Everyone seems to just call me Eowyn online, never Skywalker... hmmm... that's interesting. Not that I mind.

Okay, okay, I will include B.C.. And Sascatuwan... erk... I can't spell that. You aren't Jandalf, are you? Sorry, just wondering.

But yes, much of Canada has a Middle-earthy look. Do check us out! Maybe I should pull out one of our really Middle-earthy pics.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 05-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #64
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

Mine would most likely be a microcosm of the shire. I would've said just Hobbiton, but running north and south on the border of my neighborhood is a forest - the old forest of course! I live in New York, and the land is full of hills and every house could be bag end because of the enormous trees overhanging!

Ive even mapped it out in my mind, and whenever i leave somewhere form my neighborhood i have different areas i associate with the path to rivendell. Its fun!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #65
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Quote:
Okay, okay, I will include B.C.. And Sascatuwan... erk... I can't spell that. You aren't Jandalf, are you? Sorry, just wondering.
Sascatuwan?! Heh. No, I'm not Jandalf, whoever that is. So sorry.

Quote:
You realize that you are the first person to call me 'Skywalker'. Everyone seems to just call me Eowyn online, never Skywalker... hmmm... that's interesting. Not that I mind.
It just seemed to fit in with my "Tru dat" thing. I have no idea what the slang spelling is for that term.

Quote:
But yes, much of Canada has a Middle-earthy look. Do check us out! Maybe I should pull out one of our really Middle-earthy pics.
Pictures, yes. That's a fabulous idea. Must go find some...

Ah yes, here we go. Caradhras(sp?) anyone?
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 05-14-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #66
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

Quicksilver_Sprite has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I live in Anchorage, which all in all is very pretty. (if you overlook the six months long winter) Mountains all around, always with a bit of snow on the tips, pine and birch trees, blowing in the breeze... I like to think that I live in a rather cheerier Hollin, which is lovely because Hollin (or Eregion) is my favorite Elven place in the books.

Quicksilver

Dream a dream / And see through angel's eyes / A place where we can fly away
Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Quicksilver_Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:52 PM   #67
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sorry about spelling errors there... can't help that, snrk. Just checking, I thought that maybe you were her in disguise, as some of your comments... yeah.

I will put some pics on photobucket to prove that Alberta is, indeed, like Middle-earth... when I find time. Too tired to now... but I will get to linking some here!

Canada all the way, people!

And yeah, I do see Caradhras there... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 12-19-2005, 01:17 PM   #68
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I live in Saskatchewan Canada ....So I guess pretty much like Rohan,but with no mountains close.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #69
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I live in gainesville FL, but i would probably live in Tookland and try to travel to Minas Tirith.
________
Gm Foods

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #70
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

I'm trying to figure out why I used to sign every single one of my posts...

(looks outside)

I still think I live in a Canadian reincarnated version of the Shire. Bar the frost at the moment, which makes it look like some northern version of the Shire still. (the Shire just became a shirt in my post. O_O) But Canada seems to have a lot of Tolkien-ish locations. I think he drew inspiration from us, or something...

This thread still lives...is dead...is alive? Something.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #71
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I live in a little settlement in the woods. Most of our woods are oak but there are beech groves and some young pines. The houses nearby are all family dwellings. Beyond, to the west, there aren't many houses for quite a ways, and behind us to the east there are more woods still.

There are paths through the woods, crisscrossing, and a little confusing if you don''t know your way around or have a ranger to lead you. And in the woods are old stone ruins of houses and farms from a hundred years gone by, or more. Old stone walls ramble here and there. The rivers are brown from the oak tannin.

Chetwood, perhaps.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #72
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The place where you live sounds kind of like the area between the Last Bridge and Rivendell, near the Stone-Trolls, complete with old ruins of settlements from when Rhudaur still controlled the area. And yes, it's easy to get lost there, even Aragorn did when he was trying to get Frodo to Rivendell.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #73
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Though I usually consider the area where I live to be a modern version of the Shire, I walked in Fangorn near Isengard yesterday. I took a turn that led me into the woods, a spot where I hadn't been for awhile. I was saddened to see the bare patches where trees came down in last year's hurricane winds, flanked by stacks of felled trees alongside the road. The bare deciduous trees of winter added to the impression. No wizard - a natural catastrophe caused this destruction, yet Treebeard's words echoed in my mind: "Many of those trees... I had known from nut and acorn..."
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #74
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
No wizard - a natural catastrophe caused this destruction
Who knows...

Actually, it is strange, as today I also took a walk and unexpectedly I ended up on the plains of Rohan. I even started to think at one point that I could catch up with the Uruk-hai and the Rohirrim who pursued them, but I just walked and was in no hurry, and they no doubt were far in front of me and moving very fast. Actually, oh, only now I just realised how stupid I was - if I waited a bit, surely I could have met at least Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas. Oh, never mind. Hopefully I will have chance to visit that place again sometime. But then I reached the edge of Fangorn, indeed, in fact I have not expected that, though I knew there is some forest there. But this part of the forest was all right and unharmed - probably too far from Isengard to be threatened. Well, I went a long way through it, and surely at the beginning, near the place when I entered, there must have been some Ents - or Huorns, at least. I believe I recognised one at minimum, leaning its long arms - or branches - across the path I was following; and I am quite sure they saw me, though I could not spot them.
I must say I was meditating quite some time about the fact that if I was 10 years younger and went that road, I would have been convinced that I will see an Ent sometime. Now, I went that road with the knowledge that I would never see an Ent...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote