The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Admin Thread for Werewolf XLIV: In the House of Tom Bombadil

The summer of 2911 waned to autumn and then arrived winter. First snows appeared at the end of October. It was perfectly normal – until the Hobbits and other Northeners noticed that the snow didn't show any signs of melting, nor was the cold breaking. Earth was covered by a thick, white blanket that gained height daily. The sun had seemingly deserted the North. In December, food was already getting scarce. And then came the wolves.

The roles

-Three werewolves. They may PM at Nights and pick a kill, which should be sent to me at least an hour before the deadline - otherwise there will be no kill. The wolves win when the number of the villagers is equal or less to their own number.

-Some 12 ordinary villagers. They win when the werewolves have been lynched.

-No gifteds. Personally, I want to see how a village manages without them. I also want to see what wolf plotting will be like when they don't have to use their time in trying to find the gifteds.

The rules

-Non-retractable votes.
-No multiple lynches. In case of a tie, the lynchee will be chosen randomly.
-Failing to vote twice results in execution.
-The deadline will probably be 7 PM GMT. This can be discussed, though.

You don't have to choose a character occupation. I have prepared you a nice little village, and the roles will be chosen by dice roll. This is not going to be an in character game (though I don't mind some IC banter), I do it mainly to amuse myself. If you have any objections (eg. you don't want to be married to a person of the same sex), please let me know so that I may tamper with the results of the lottery if necessary.

Also, as for the milieu, I'm not imitating Farael. I had the idea of the game ready before his game started.

We will start when there are 15 players.

Players:
Rikae
Macalaure
Menel
sally
Durelin
Gwathy
Nerwen
Nogrod
Lommy
Greenie
Boro
McCaber
Ka
Mith
Volo

Last edited by Aganzir; 02-24-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A game with no gifteds? Sounds good to me! I've always thought the true point of WW was rhetorical skill and close reading, anyway... this looks like an exciting challenge. Sign me up!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
No gifteds? I'm in.

Seers are annoying. Rangers useless unless they can protect the annoying seer. Hunters useless unless they impersonate an annoying seer. Good riddance, I say!

edit: I like the deadline.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, as I said - 23-30th I am not going to be around, so if the game starts before I return (which is likely), I have to miss this one... well, I wanted a little break, anyway (but then I can as well see myself missing playing when my turn comes ). Anyway, if by chance I come back before the game starts, or let's say during Day 1 (as there is not any Seer, presence on Night 1 is not needed, and even if I were to be a wolf, one Night without plotting is possible) or something like that, I would like to join. Maybe. Err, okay, I already said that

And P.S. have you noticed? Once Again, Agan wants people to marry each other.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A game that follows the Fell Winter, which involved white wolves attacking the Shire, was something I thought would work well.

I'm in. And I've got no objections to the dice falling where they may.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan

-No gifteds. Personally, I want to see how a village manages without them. I also want to see what wolf plotting will be like when they don't have to use their time in trying to find the gifteds.

No gifteds? *laughs maniacally* Sounds like a blast. Count me in dearie.

As for the deadline, that is spectacular. Means I can actually post semi-close to the end of Day.

And what of us spinsters? I think you're just a slave to cultural norms, and thus can't envision yourself a society without the institution of marriage.
Just teasing, Agan. Although, if I end up being married to someone, I would prefer it to be a man, since you asked. (And in jest, I protest to marrying Legate. After last game, I think I'd be arrested for spousal abuse. )
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think a WW game will be nice and therapeutic for me...may I please join?

No objections about roles and definitely no objection about the deadline.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
So, we meet again, Durelin... (she's a wolf! Get her!)

About the deadline -- it's 2 pm for me, which means I'll be at the college on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I can live with that, but it will mean voting early sometimes.

EDIT: Oh yes, and if we're going to be married, I'll have to be married to Nogrod (if he plays.) After all, he loves me.

Last edited by Rikae; 02-19-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
An opportunity to kill werewolves. Splendid! Let me at them.

I would have to vote several hours earlier than everyone else, as I'm six hours behind GMT and would be at class during the deadline.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
edit: I like the deadline.
Of course you do... you're an *expletive* European...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am working on resigning myself to dying very early on, Rikae...but maybe you could at least let me have, say...until the game starts?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Rangers useless unless they can protect the annoying seer.
I think they usually are the most annoying when they're doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And P.S. have you noticed? Once Again, Agan wants people to marry each other.
Peace, love, happiness and unity, or how do they say it? Applies to werewolf well, don't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I think you're just a slave to cultural norms, and thus can't envision yourself a society without the institution of marriage.
But not everybody will be married in the first place. Besides, I'm allowing same-sex marriages in Middle-earth! How inexcusable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
I think a WW game will be nice and therapeutic for me...may I please join?
Sure. It's already a while since you played last, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
So, we meet again, Durelin... (she's a wolf! Get her!)
And I was thinking if I should write in the rule post that admin thread is not a place to discuss game things but decided against it...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I am working on resigning myself to dying very early on, Rikae...but maybe you could at least let me have, say...until the game starts?
I found a wolfsie! I found a wolfsie! Let's kill her now and get it over with!

++Durelin

:P Looking forward to (hopefully) not lynching you. :P
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
You can count me in– though I'd have to vote early.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yes, I believe it's been since August.

Quote:
Looking forward to (hopefully) not lynching you. :P
That's rather wishful thinking! But please do stick to that.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Oh, I would have sooo much fun with this... I love playing an Ordo actually, since everyone is naturally inclined to kill the innocent, and well, it brings back old memories of the early village set up. Simple, skillful, and full of sheer killing for killing's sake.
Good times.

Quote:
If you have any objections (eg. you don't want to be married to a person of the same sex), please let me know so that I may tamper with the results of the lottery if necessary.
Well, here's my conditions:

* Just as long as I don't have to pay taxes/support or whatever
* Cannot, have a partner that goes out and wastes harvest earnings on beer without inviting me.
*Won't shed all over the bloody place.

Otherwise I'm completely fine with it.
I don't really see this experience as being a martial one, but a business one, the business being survival of wits and fun. My goal is at the worst to break even.

Hmm, I really have to look at my schedule for the next week or two.
The only thing that might make others want to kill me outright is my work schedule on friday nights and saturday. Saturday is the worst, I have the infamous 9-5 so I'd be pretty much out of the picture all day (or night.). Well, I should have a 50/50 chance of being around to vote since the deadline is 9am my time (yes, the annoying Pacific person. Werewolf requires at least one.)
Guess I'll just have to vote early then.
Plus, there is additional uni apps I guess.

I am not quite sure as of yet, but if anything you can put me down as a maybe. I should be able to give a yes or no by Friday.
Argh, this looks fun, hopefully!

~ Intrigued Interest Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 02-19-2008 at 11:08 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #17
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I'm going to point this out now, so (in theory) I don't get lynched for it later on:
Be prepared to see a kinder, gentler Rikae in this game. I've decided I have a tendency to become too irritable in WW games, and that it would be preferable not to spread ripples of offensiveness and offendedness through the village this time... so please don't lynch me for being "too nice", ok?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm definitively in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
and if we're going to be married, I'll have to be married to Nogrod (if he plays.) After all, he loves me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Be prepared to see a kinder, gentler Rikae in this game.
That's a deal: Rikae the kind and Nogrod the agreeable as a pair!

This will be all peace, flowers and happiness - and unity as Agan already pointed out.

PS. Could we be polygamous? I think Roa the gentle might fit into our family...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #19
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sign me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
-Failing to vote twice results in execution.
Twice or twice in a row?

I'm very glad to see Durelin around after such a long pause! (But my opinion may change if she starts making random votes again... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
That's a deal: Rikae the kind and Nogrod the agreeable as a pair!

This will be all peace, flowers and happiness - and unity as Agan already pointed out.

PS. Could we be polygamous? I think Roa the gentle might fit into our family...
Just how many pretty young women Nogrod plans to marry....?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #20
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Twice or twice in a row?
Twice.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Rikae the kind? Nogrod the agreeable? Roa the gentle?

Sign me out!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

Sign me out!
Indeed. Why, if everyone's nice and civil, the game's no fun.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
(But my opinion may change if she starts making random votes again... )
Well it's never precisely random...I don't go with dice or number generators...I just go with what I feel like. So I promise I will try to feel out a wolf, Day 1...well, if that is what I am predisposed to doing.

Other terms and conditions may be applied "at random"...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Just to make it clear

Newcomers are welcome to play as well!

Last edited by Aganzir; 02-20-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Fixed punctuation
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Count me in for this one

Quote:

Sign me out!~Mac
Would you consider signing back in if Boro the Silent One was playing?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #26
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Right Honourable McCaber reporting for duty. Let the hunt begin.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
The Right Honourable McCaber reporting for duty. Let the hunt begin.

I'll kill you this time, Cabbie. Mark my words. I KEEL YOU!

Sorry. End of insanity. Awesome, more people I haven't played with before.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Emily and I are going to go outside and howl at the moon in a bit. Good evening everyone!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #28
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

*faints*

*gets back up*

*measures own neck for optimum noose size*
Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #29
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I better do. I don't feel like missing something good.

However, I fear that only Mac the Guileless will be able to muster the strength to face a game with players like these without running the risk of severe and lasting mental damage.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I am not yet certain whether I should be happy or sad that I don't have any of the associations with certain players that everyone else does. Mac the Guileless? Rikae the Gentle? Boro the Silent? Huh?

Unfortunately, I have a whole game under my belt, so the n00b excuse isn't going to cut it anymore. I would have been killed last game were it not for my disarming lack of experience.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #31
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae, (personally who is rather nice)
so please don't lynch me for being "too nice", ok?
It might take some getting used to, but I never have really seen you as that generally irate or downright mean in the past, to be frank. You play rather well, but not with spite.

Quote:
Boro the Silent One
Which one are you talking about?!
I've never seen Boro acting silent in a game, the only one I've ever played with him and he seemed practically levitating off his seat, granted he probably wanted to smack Nogrod if he could, but it was all fun.
Ah, good memories.

Gah, now this makes me want to play even more. Though, I am mostly afraid of signing up, and then life strikes again and I either have to ask to be killed or set up my own death vote. Somehow.

I don't like repeating fenris-ing m'self, but I think I will be fine playing this time around. My uni apps for the most part are cleared out of the way, just those fun scholarships and questionaires...

So Agan, if you please, I'll accept your offer and join the game if there is any space left. Thanks for letting me know!

~ Ka the, Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 02-23-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
They are being ironic.... and I know I shouldn't and this is madness but you can add Mithalwen the perpetually sane and serene to that list if there is space ... and given the discussions that have gone before ... I wonder if I should regard the encouragement to join in from a certain person as a proposal....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boro and Mith? Awesome!

Now I'm wondering if I too should find myself a suitable new title or playing style. The problem is that I don't think I want to become Lommy the Logical, Lommy the Posts-Very-Seldom or Lommy the Gloomy.

Anyway, this game is looking great.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #34
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I think it's safe to assume that there are enough players by 7 PM GMT tomorrow, so prepare for the game starting then.

Anyone who's still willing to sign up may do so.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #35
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Lommy the Logical, Lommy the Posts-Very-Seldom or Lommy the Gloomy.
They all work, and 'unfortunately' as humans we tend to have too many good attributes. Then o'course, what I think of as good really shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

Hmmm, maybe we should have a vote on it, because no one knows us any better than our friends, mutual friends, and better yet, strangers and first time players.

I think this title thing is rather fun though.

Hmm, how about: Lommy, the Somehow Always Right About Wolves.
Excluding of course, when you are one, even then you're too good.

~ Ka
Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #36
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I think it's safe to assume that there are enough players by 7 PM GMT tomorrow, so prepare for the game starting then.
Great! Hurray!

NOTE: If anyone refers to me as Gwathy, I am going to immediately proclaim them a wolf and hound them relentlessly to either their death or mine. If Gwathagor is too long for you, then Gwath will suffice.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #37
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

How about Gwathie-poo? I like that one, don't you? *avoids the noose and scampers off to the nearest padded room*

An announcement from me.
I know the game starts with a night phase, but since it's Sunday (or at least will be in five minutes) I won't be around for most of the Night since I'll be at my house and won't have internet. Just a warning to my packmates if I end up being a wolfie that I will be away for a lot of the first night's plotting. Other than that, I'm going to bed; I'm exhausted. See all of you in the Morning!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #38
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Oh, and by the way, happy belated birthday Lommie! I was gone/busy most of Friday so I didn't get a chance to post on the birthday thread. Nevertheless, I hope it was awesome!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #39
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

*narrows eyes*

Don't press your luck.

*mutters foul imprecations under his breath*
Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #40
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*chuckles to herself* Love you too, GwathMeister. Long as y'all don't start throwing axes at me and Emily again, I'm okay with it.

Wow. I actually POSTED what was in my head, y'all and all. I'm out before I get even more loopy.