The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Werewolf XLIV: In the House of Tom Bombadil

The summer of 2911 waned to autumn and then arrived winter. First snows appeared at the end of October. It was perfectly normal – until the Hobbits and other Northeners noticed that the snow didn't show any signs of melting, nor was the cold breaking. Earth was covered by a thick, white blanket that gained height daily. The sun had seemingly deserted the North. In December, food was already getting scarce. And then came the wolves.

Late one night, in the middle of December, a miserable figure scratched the door of a little house that was nestled under the shoulder of hills, at the edge of a forest. By the time the door was opened, a new layer of snow had almost covered its tracks. The creature was skinny and shivering, its white fur dull and heavy with frozen snow. It cowered from the light that came from the inside.

”Oh, look at her!” cried the woman at the door. ”She's sick and hungry. We can't leave her out there; she will freeze to death in no more than one night!”

The creature turned to look at the woman with a strange, almost triumphant expression in her feverish, gherkin-coloured eyes - as if she had understood every single word. Slowly, she pattered over the wide stone threshold, and a golden light was all about her.

After being banished by their villages and neighbours, some poor beggars had gathered together, eventually broken into the mounds and formed their own little community on the Barrow-downs. They weren't treated any more kindly by the winter than some others more fortunate. When everything burnable was burnt and everything edible, except for a certain duck, eaten, the unofficial leader of the outcasts, Nogrod the Agreeable, summoned a meeting in the Great Barrow.

”We can't keep going on like this”, he said. ”We must admit the inevitable: we're going to die if we don't get more food soon.”

”Aye,” observed Rikae the Kind, ”I get stomachaches from the food offerings left to the king with whom we share a barrow.”

”Don't you say I haven't told you to keep away from them! It's your own fault if you don't heed my words!” Durelin cried at her.

”And the Yule is only a few days away...” sighed McCaber sadly.

”Is there any way we could please the Powers of the West?” asked Mithalwen the Perpetually Sane and Serene.

”Like the people in the old tales!” continued satansaloser2005, knocking her stick on the floor. ”You know, the first year they sacrificed oxen, the second year men... And when they sacrificed the king in the third year, the crops returned...” She eyed Nogrod ponderingly.

”I've always found you more ox-looking than some people here,” Nerwen joined the discussion.

”Back to the business,” interrupted Boromir88 the Silent One. ”I say we don't go begging to Bree if we just can avoid it.”

”Because they would catch you and put you in jail for pickpocketing, eh?”

”That was not too kind of you, Rikae!” Mithalwen rebuked her.

”I suppose I'd get more food in prison than here anyway. Don't start quarrelling now.”

”Yes, I agree with you, Boro - we can't go there. They would just turn us out again...”

”Now, you're optimistic, A Little Green. They don't have any more food than we do but they don't want to eat their own relatives and neighbours,” THE Ka observed dryly.

”Daddy...” Meneltarmacil plucked at Boro's sleeve.

”What about asking that merry fellow down the hill if he could put us up for the Yule?” Mithalwen aired the thought that had probably crossed everyone's mind.

”Are you nuts, dear?” asked Nerwen, ”there's no trusting a person like that. I, for one, am not going to let my little one have any dealings with him!”

”Are you rather going to let your little one starve, then?” snapped Volo and put his hand protectively on McCaber's shoulder.

”Daddy!” Macalaure the Guileless plucked at Boro's sleeve.”

”You never know what mushrooms that grandpa will feed to your children!”

”But Mummy, mushrooms are good, aren't they?” Gwathagor looked confused.

”Daddy! There's a big dog at the door!”

The wolf has already been there for a while, observing the beggars and their argument. Now she starts walking towards them, her motions controlled yet graceful. She looks well-fed and well-pleased, her white fur is thick and shiny, her eyes gleam with amusement. And although she could be considered an easy prey by the starving, no one raises their hand against her. She walks to the middle of the ring, stretches and lies down. Then she opens her mouth, and her voice is like honey.

”What an awful weather, don't you think? I'm sure it must be rather horrible here in these cold and damp barrows...” She smiles at the nodding beggars. ”That's what we thought with my master also. Now, we got this idea of inviting you to be guests in his house, to feast and celebrate the Yule. Nice to see that the same idea has seemingly occurred to some of you as well,” she says, smiling at Mithalwen and Nerwen, and lets her gaze wander over the beggars, who eye one another reservedly, not knowing what to say.

Finally, Thinlómien decides for everybody.

”We accept your offer gratefully,” she says. Nerwen looks at her as if she wished to object, but doesn't say a word.

The wolf smiles again. ”You're welcome to come, then. Tomorrow, shall we say?” She gets up and is about to jump out, but a small voice stops her.

”What's your name? I have never seen a talking animal before.” The expression on McCaber's face is genuinely curious.

The wolf turns to look at the child. ”Oh, did I forget to introduce myself? So sorry. You can call me Death.”

That night some barrow-wights got caught by wolves. A blizzard hid the inhuman noises, but the beggars slept shivering, and every once in a while someone stirred for a moment to listen to the howling of the wind before dozing off again.

Behind the clouds, the Moon travelled its way through the sky. It was already sinking when three hideously deformed shadows returned to the barrows they had used to haunt. They picked themselves new bodies to inhabit.

In the mid-day, the beggars set off for the little house at the edge of the forest. They had taken with them the little property they had, and all were in a gay mood. Even the old Barrow-Wight was asked to join the merrymaking.

The players
Nogrod the Agreeable, the leader of the beggars
his wife, Nerwen
Gwathagor, their child
elderly couple; Rikae the Kind
and Durelin
Boromir88 the Silent One, an ex-pickpocket
his wife, Mithalwen the Perpetually Sane and Serene
their children Macalaure the Guileless
and Meneltarmacil
satansaloser2005, a slightly mad crippled woman
Volo, a young widowed man
his child, the Right Honourable McCaber
THE Ka, a blind old woman
orphaned little Thinlómien
and her little sister A Little Green

It is now Night 1. The wolves may PM. No posting here yet.

Last edited by Aganzir; 02-24-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Night 1

The Yule has turned into night. It has begun to snow again, but inside the house it is warm and cosy. Although the room is otherwise dark, the embers are still glowing red in the wide hearth. Some people are sleeping in another room, but most have their mattresses laid on the floor and lie deep in drunken sleep, happy and their stomachs full after feasting. Someone snores lightly, one mutters something in his sleep.

Fear nothing! For tonight you are under the roof of Tom Bombadil!

Death has been curled up in front of the hearth for the most of the evening, only her eyes flickering greenish light every now and then, but now she gets up and stretches. Goldberry's words still echo in her ears.

She patters softly amidst the sleepers towards the wall and pushes a door open. With a new determination, she treads over the short passage until she comes to another door. Inside, two persons are sleeping. She stands upon the threshold for a moment, then enters the room.

Tom Bombadil wakes up suddenly. Sharp fangs tear the flesh of his throat.

”I am sorry, Tom,” an almost gentle voice whispers in his ear. ”You know, I always rather liked you.”

Tom's eyes are not quite merry anymore. He tries to lift his hand but doesn't manage to do it. Soft footsteps move to the other side of the bed.

”Besides, if I didn't know you don't really die...” A sound of a tearing fabric. ”At least this easily, I would probably just have evicted you for a while...” Death claws Goldberry's stomach open. ”But you cannot deny that it's much funnier this way. And you would have spoiled my Yule. I know you will understand.” She sounds almost apologetic.

When she is done, she leaves the room, in search for the Barrow-wight.

A sleeper wakes up suddenly. A dark shape, surrounded by dim, red light, is standing next to his mattress. For a moment he blinks his eyes, as if trying to remember where he is. Then, a look of recognition and affection passes over his face.

”What's this? A werewolf caught off his guard?” she mocks him gently.

”Has it begun?”

”Yes.”

”Why didn't you wake us up until now?” asks another voice.

”I wanted to have some fun all by myself. It's so much more intense, you know.”

”But you killed them all!”

”And you will kill the rest in nights to come. Fair enough.”

A third voice interrupts the discussion. ”The night is passing and we still have work to do.”

The corners of Death's mouth turn upwards. ”Good. Go plotting, then. And please take that green thing away with you. It smells.”

”Here is to victory!” the pack greets her.

”To world domination, rather!”

The beggars woke up in the grey morning only to notice that the fire had gone out and the house was cold. Neither Tom Bombadil nor Goldberry was to be seen. The whole world was silent; an oppressing, almost threatening air was about the house.

A slimy green trail led from one corner of the room to the door. At its end lay the shapeless body of the Barrow-wight.

This raised the beggars' suspicions.

Rikae and Durelin rushed to the room where the host and the hostess were supposed to be sleeping, but there was no one there. Only the torn blankets bore evidence of that something out of ordinary had indeed happened in the night.

Nogrod and Volo tried the front door of the house, but it was stuck.

”It looks like the lock has frozen,” observed Boro.

”We cannot get out,” said Nerwen.

”Trapped!” cried Ka. ”Why did we delay?”

But the house wasn't as deserted as it had first seemed. The white wolf was lying on her back in front of the newly rekindled fire, and the children were stroking her.

”What on earth has happened here?” asked Mithalwen, a trace of panic in her voice.

Death opened one eye, then turned to her stomach.

”Nothing of great interest.” She smirked maliciously. ”Some sweet little bunnies just got hungry in the night, I think.”

”Speak more plainly,” demanded sally.

”If you insist...” Death stretched the words. She was seemingly enjoying the situation. ”Naturally, I know nothing about it. I just happened to pass by last night and saw three werewolves chatting in a corner. They're going to kill you all, that's what they said.”

A shocked silence followed her words. Her smile grew wider.

”Oh my,” whispered Nogrod. ”Escaping hunger and frost to be caught by wolves...”

Lommy started crying and hugged Greenie tightly. Macalaure looked shaken and just sat where he was, Menel ran to his mother.

”I feel so helpless,” McCaber sobbed.

However, there was one who knew from the first moment what he was going to do:

”I want to kill them!” shouted Gwathagor, "and I have a foolproof way to find them! Everyone who calls me Gwathy is a wolf!"

”How aggressive a child you are, little Gwathy,” observed Death, turned to another side and began to sleep.

Alive:
Nogrod the Agreeable, the leader of the beggars
his wife, Nerwen
Gwathagor, their child
elderly couple; Rikae the Kind
and Durelin
Boromir88 the Silent One, an ex-pickpocket
his wife, Mithalwen the Perpetually Sane and Serene
their children Macalaure the Guileless
and Meneltarmacil
satansaloser2005, a slightly mad crippled woman
Volo, a young widowed man
his child, the Right Honourable McCaber
THE Ka, a blind old woman
orphaned little Thinlómien
and her little sister A Little Green

Dead:
Tom Bombadil (ranger) - killed on Night 1
Goldberry (seer) - killed on Night 1
The Barrow-wight (hunter) - killed on Night 1

It is now Day 1. Wolves stop PMing. Start talking.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
First!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quite a disgusting situation we're in... trapped in a house, our hosts dead and companied by a rather annoying hound.

Well, what is there to say, except to comment that Gwathy looks rather over-enthusiastic?

At least that I'm interested to see how a giftedless village works and rather enthusiastic too: now we can pursue suspicious behaviour without worrying that we're flushing out gifteds. Personally, I think this is a great advantage for us and also with no gifteds we can have no gifted impersonators...

I'm also looking forward to taking the challenge of using my own brains instead of waiting for a seer revelation.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
It is now Day 1. Wolves stop PMing. Start talking.
Just noticed this: looks like only wolves can talk now. So did we now reveal ourselves, Gwathie?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hush.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Wait, what did you call me?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Well, I supposed I DID rather ask for it by making such a fuss on the admin thread.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Meh... I might be around tomorrow, but right now I'm going to do my homework, search for my batteries and listen to Ulver. I leave the work for my dear son, he's old enough to be responcible for his and his daddy's lives.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Well, I supposed I DID rather ask for it by making such a fuss on the admin thread.
Yes, you did. But now that I've done it once I doubt I need to do it again...

But is it just the two of us here...?

edit: xed with Volo who made my question unreasonable
Old 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Great, trapped. Well, at least this place has food, and if we run out we can always eat the mice from the cellar...

*mouse scurries across the floor to a scrap of bread*

Steady... Thankfully my hearing or sense for touch hasn't gone.

*smacks the mouse with walking cane and carefully roasts it on the fire*

There you go kiddies, now be sure to share.
You two, we have a crisis to deal with, you can flirt later. Oh and btw, Gwathy is a fitting name, or maybe Gwathyn, hmm...

I love being old, blind and grumpy. Thanks for the role Agan.

Well, I won't be around for another few hours, because of classes and such, but I should be back well before the deadline. Take care.

~ Ka, the old blind and grumpy mouse killing woman
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think the little orphan speaks a lot of sense - unlike you my son...

I'm looking forwards to this as well as I tend to be the "always look at the bright side of life" -person. With no gifteds we really have to work this out ourselves and that sounds like a challenge. Managing that of course means we need to actually play, everyone of us. No seer will pick the under the radar creepies for us and no ranger will defend our assets either. I guess I need not continue this train of thought any further at this point...

I'd suggest getting rid of that wolfsie with her creepy name as our first step but I'm afraid that's not within our powers.

EDIT: x'd with the Ka
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Ok, last check.

I'm going to vote the quietest person (if it isn't me).
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
At last, at last, no more second-guessing "X is acting strange, but wait, he might be gifted, better say nothing". No more laying low hoping that the seer will stay hidden and get it right in the end. It's all up to us now - a true battle of the wits. Sadly, this means that the innocent side, having me on their team, is severely handicapped.

I'm already getting a funny feeling about Nogrod - again. Why was he, who has to fear this more than most, the first to mention that the wolves might be after our assets?
Weak suspicion? Definitely. Only suspicion at all? Absolutely. Would I even have mentioned it if there was anything better to be found anywhere? Probably not.
Oh, the joys of posting on the first page of a werewolf thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor
First!
First to be lynched? Not a problem. I can manage.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
What's with the excessive use of the smilies?

My head is going to explode ()...so after this moment:

I forbid the further use of smilies...
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
With no gifteds we really have to work this out ourselves and that sounds like a challenge. Managing that of course means we need to actually play, everyone of us. No seer will pick the under the radar creepies for us and no ranger will defend our assets either. I guess I need not continue this train of thought any further at this point...
I can but agree. Now, I this certainly must be the first time in history that I and Nogrod urge people to talk...

I do not wih to start the loud vs quiet debate once again, but the situation being what it is, if no one seems particularly suspicious to me toDay (like sometimes happens on Day1) I will vote someone who contributes little, given that there is such person. Now, of course I hope I need not make such vote, not only because it feels a bit wasted (being a shot in the dark), but also because if I end up doing that it means the Day has been rather unfruitful. I think making one more person join the Fenris pack toDay would not be a bad idea... (on the other hand, tell me when it isn't... )

edit: xed with Volo, Mac and Boro - yay!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I'm already getting a funny feeling about Nogrod - again.~Mac
Actually I'm feeling bad about Thinlo...again...confident, a swagger of arrogance, and an aura of chipperness. The attitude I would expect from a wolf in a village with no seer to spot them and no fear except the fear of the votes from ordinary, clueless, villagers.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
I'm already getting a funny feeling about Nogrod - again. Why was he, who has to fear this more than most, the first to mention that the wolves might be after our assets?
Wha..at? I don't follow your reasoning for why is that suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Weak suspicion? Definitely. Only suspicion at all? Absolutely. Would I even have mentioned it if there was anything better to be found anywhere? Probably not.
Am I stupid or are you vague? What are you talking about here? Your own feelings about Nogrod's post or...?

Mac is definitely odd. I mean, I don't get his logic and I completely missed his first joke too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
At last, at last, no more second-guessing "X is acting strange, but wait, he might be gifted, better say nothing". No more laying low hoping that the seer will stay hidden and get it right in the end. It's all up to us now - a true battle of the wits. Sadly, this means that the innocent side, having me on their team, is severely handicapped.
Not that any of this measn he's necessarily suspicious.

edit: xed with Boro
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Actually I'm feeling bad about Thinlo...again...confident, a swagger of arrogance, and an aura of chipperness. The attitude I would expect from a wolf in a village with no seer to spot them and no fear except the fear of the votes from ordinary, clueless, villagers.
Boro, the flaw in your logic is that I'm always dead nervous and unsure as a wolf. I never really enjoy it. So if I'm genuinely confident and enjoying myself, I'm innocent. Which of course doesn't mean I couldn't try to feign confidence if I was a wolf. But I'm bad at deception so if I'm only playing confident I'm probably ringing false or overdoing it...

And the term "swagger of arrogance" made me miss Anguirel, I wish he'd come back some day. Now, I know, that was totally unrelated but it just crossed my mind. Especially as it feels odd to be described to have "a swagger of arrogance". But I'm taking it as a compliment.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I really do not like the look of Lommy here. She seems to be deliberately provoking Gwathagor and casting suspicion on him for no good reason. Could be nothing, but it still isn't helping anything.

I also predict that Boromir88 will do something in the future that appears innocent to everyone except me. I will become suspicious of him, and he'll start attacking me if he hasn't done so already. He'll be innocent during the whole thing, though.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I really do not like the look of Lommy here. She seems to be deliberately provoking Gwathagor and casting suspicion on him for no good reason. Could be nothing, but it still isn't helping anything.
Provoking? Yes, deliberatedly. Casting suspicion? *raises eyebrow* Not so that I can see it. That was a curious accusation.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #22
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Meh... I might be around tomorrow, but right now I'm going to do my homework, search for my batteries and listen to Ulver. I leave the work for my dear son, he's old enough to be responcible for his and his daddy's lives.

Yeah, he'll be responsible for ENDING his daddy's life. Really, to leave such a child as Cabbie to his own devices is bordering on suicide. When you finish your studies, do find yourself a nice clinic; I'm sure they'll be able to help.

As for Dr. Gwathenstein, is this the truth? Are you volunteering yourself as the first lynching victim? *pats the little kamikaze on the shoulder and pinches his cheek* Alas, I can't take you up on your offer, dearie. I promised Cabbie he'd garner my vote this game. And being one of the eldest members of our village, I feel obligated to set an example and stay true to my word. *puts her glasses on and squints maliciously in Cabbie-Kabob's direction*

P.S. Lest I end up in the same boat as last time, yes I'm TEASING Cabbie, not actually going after him. Yet.
P.P.S. Agan, if you want to have me listed as Sally as opposed to my actual username, that's fine with me; it saves you some keystrokes. Or you can just call me Sally the Insufferable
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

More along the lines of "jokingly casting suspicion" than anything else. Check the abuse you gave him in your second post. I can see it was intended as a joke, but wolves have shown a tendency to toss out "silly" suspicions on Day 1.

EDIT: X-posted with Sally.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Wha..at? I don't follow your reasoning for why is that suspicious.
Not necessarily suspicious, but strange. Almost like waving a flag saying "I'm a good kill".

Quote:
What are you talking about here?
About it being very early Day One and there being nearly nothing to go on yet.

Quote:
Mac is definitely odd. I mean, I don't get his logic and I completely missed his first joke too.
Now slowly there. You bring out terms like "definitely odd" after only one short post of mine? I think you're rather quick to accuse there.

Quote:
Boro, the flaw in your logic is that I'm always dead nervous and unsure as a wolf. I never really enjoy it. So if I'm genuinely confident and enjoying myself, I'm innocent. Which of course doesn't mean I couldn't try to feign confidence if I was a wolf. But I'm bad at deception so if I'm only playing confident I'm probably ringing false or overdoing it...
Would it be far-fetched to paraphrase this paragraph by "When I'm a wolf, I play like this. But now I play like that. Ergo: I'm not a wolf. Of course, I could feign it, but could these eyes lie. "?

Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
More along the lines of "jokingly casting suspicion" than anything else. Check the abuse you gave him in your second post. I can see it was intended as a joke, but wolves have shown a tendency to toss out "silly" suspicions on Day 1.
And innocents never toss out silly suspicions, right? As to that second post of mine, well if you were taking it seriously, it would incriminate me as well as him and I can't see the actual advantage for a wolf for making such an "accusation". Not that it would be of any advantage for an innocent either.

edit: xed with Mac
Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Now slowly there. You bring out terms like "definitely odd" after only one short post of mine? I think you're rather quick to accuse there.
"Definitely odd" is not an accusation. It is an observation. And I simply commented on what I had seen that far, I can't see anything suspicious with that. If it comforts you, you're definitely less weird now, even though you're casting suspicion at a weird direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Would it be far-fetched to paraphrase this paragraph by "When I'm a wolf, I play like this. But now I play like that. Ergo: I'm not a wolf. Of course, I could feign it, but could these eyes lie. "?
Possibly, possibly not.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Boro, the flaw in your logic is that I'm always dead nervous and unsure as a wolf.~Thinlo
Flaw? My logic have a flaw? Touchee, Thinlo, touchee.

But to counter...those past times there be gifteds, there be no gifteds here, which may turn a timid and nervous wolf into a confident and chipper one.

Quote:
I also predict that Boromir88 will do something in the future that appears innocent to everyone except me. I will become suspicious of him, and he'll start attacking me if he hasn't done so already.~Menel
I'm glad you've accepted fact and are fully prepared to face your destiny.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Good to see things starting to happen albeit slowly.

I'll put my two cents into this as well.

Disregarding any timezone-issues and other RL hindrances I'd say that at this point both The Ka and Volo give me mildly bad vibes. Possibly Gwath as well but not so much.

Now why is that? This is a matter of principle in the first place.

Because they have played it the most safe not lending themselves or their ideas to the discussion (in hope of being forgotten but still taking part?).

Mac and Boro have already cast some suspcions around and Lommy has pointed out things in others' posting as well. That's what we need to do to both look at the reactions and to gather information about what others think (or what they want us to believe they think).

I know it's a bit early to start suspecting Ka or Volo for real about non-posting (there was little for them to go on at that time) but let me use them as examples here and as their behaviour this far meets the problem I'm talking about. My opinion sure is liable to change if they come back and start posting later toDay.

I had a wonderful but somewhat frustrating eperience the last time I played. I posted only once in the first part of Day1 and a few short ones in the end of the Day and what happened? Unlike oftentimes when I'm either lynched or getting the second highest vote I got almost no suspicion and sailed nicely through the Day.

What do we learn from here? If you don't speak you're rarely mentioned and when you're rarely mentioned you're not lynched.

So unless there are no real suspcions in the end of this Day I will be voting for someone not taking part openly - eg. saying who s/he thinks is suspicious and why. It is all the more important in this game as there are no gifteds. As I said already: no one will dream our silent murderers to us but they need to be lynched. And with no ranger we're in danger of losing our helpfuls sooner than later - so that's an urgency matter: the weight of possible submarines may get heavy soon. (Hopefully this answers your question as well Mac?)

EDIT: x'd with a host of posts...
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel
I concur with Little Miss Lommie. They're just two kids having some fun. Boys (and girls) will be boys (and girls) as the saying goes.

I interrupt my own regularly scheduled post so that you young ones may laugh at an old lady. I just noticed that the three "night kills" were listed as gifteds. Very nice touch, Mistress Agan, Currently Reigning Princess of Narrations. I quite like it. I feel dumb for not noticing it right away, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Back to business. Young Mac, why do you feel the need to so quickly label Little Lommie as a wolf? You and your brother Menel seem to take what she says and use it to cast her in an evil light. You should really be nicer to little girls, or your parents may make you sleep outside tonight.
On the other hand, I do think it's odd that Little Lommie explains herself like that. "When I'm innocent, I'm chill, but if I'm a wolf, I'm a nervous wreck." Sorry Lommie, but I think you have the capacity to fake levelheadedness beautifully.
On the other other hand....wait. I only have two. *yells* Could someone lend an old lady a hand? Thank you. Okay, on the other other hand (Rikae the Kind's to be exact; how....kind of her) I do the same thing a lot of times. I'm a terrible bluff, so if I'm lying it's pretty easy to catch me on it. Besides, I'm insufferably honest, which also means that if I am a wolf, I won't lie about it. Perhaps Little Lommie is the same way, which after playing a few times with her is a distinct possibility. Meh. I still want to kill Cabbie.

EDIT: X'd with everything since Mac's post on Lommie

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 02-25-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: oops. just realized I forgot to bold something!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #30
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm not going to say anything yet, NOT because I'm trying to fly under the radar, but because I'm not sure what to make of the first page. There's so much speculative finger-pointing that goes on on the first day, and so little substance. At this point, everyone looks equally suspicious to me.

I promise I'll contribute in a few hours after I've eaten.

Meneltarmacil used my full name!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Menel worries me somewhat. If he is a wolf trying to look helpful and active what he has said would be reasonable indeed. After Boro made his first general suspcions on Lommy (about her overall style) Menel jumps in to second the suspcion using Lommy's banter with Gwath as a reason to suspect her (which clearly misses the mark). He also gets defensive after Lommy answers him and starts talking about wolves tendency to make silly suspicions... which I do find quite ad hoc.

Menel also could be interpreted to try to make Boro feel good by insisting that even if there'd be some rants between them (like there tends to be) Boro would be innocent. Now how come does he know that unless he's a wolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
It's all up to us now - a true battle of the wits. Sadly, this means that the innocent side, having me on their team, is severely handicapped.
Now this wasn't actually necessary now was it? I know innocents do weird things as well but somehow this is a bit odd. It's a joke yes but still after Menel's posting possibly the single most suspicious points made toDay this far. Which is not much...

A few ideas thrown into the air before I go to sleep...

Sally I just can't read.

Boro is hard to read as well but for different reasons.

Lommy feels innocent. I mean she's like that. Although it often happens that those you know from RL are the best to fool you...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #32
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:

A few ideas thrown into the air before I go to sleep...

Sally I just can't read.

That's okay love. No one ever can.

Alrighty young whippersnappers. I'm off to work. Make Granny Sally lots and lots of posties while I'm gone, okay chillens?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

To be honest, I believe people have their own styles of playing and tend to use them regardless of their roles. I honestly don't think we can find a wolf by playing style here, and I would doubt that Lommy actually plays differently based on her role.

*sigh* And now there's my playing style coming back to bite me. Why must I always focus on a single suspect to the exclusion of all else?

Oh, and Nogrod, my comment about Boro being innocent was made because he usually was innocent whenever I suspected him. I am not certain of his role by any means.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #34
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice to see you, too, Sally. As much as I don't want to become a Cabe-kabob, maybe I'll actually give you something to look at this time. And Pappa Volo, I'll try not to disappoint you toDay.

I do enjoy the more experienced ones throwing around suspicion. So I think I'll try it too:

I like how Gwath is refraining from forming an opinion. He could be not trying to leave a paper trail of suspects. Not a full-on point yet, but it could become one.

Anyway, I'll return soon with some serious thoughts in a while. Supper awaits, if I can find some in this house of doom.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
I do not wih to start the loud vs quiet debate once again
I don't care what the rest of you think, but if I have to suffer another one of those arguements I'll club over my own head...
Thankfully, as Menel has already pointed out it is safe to say the majority of us have played before or with one another so we don't have to have a coffee chat about playing styles all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No good Nogrod
but let me use them as examples here and as their behaviour this far meets the problem I'm talking about.
No hurt taken Nogrod, I just wanted to let everyone know that my posting will be sporatic at times due to the callings of RL. It's a healthy thing to suspect one another, and probably would be an honor to the game if we at least at fun with it. Which as a warning right now, I tend to take the game too lightly, so if I unintentually hurt someone, I am sorry.
I felt like I did that last time I played, so I'll try not to be so sporatic in my nature, but it will be very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy Lighthearted
And innocents never toss out silly suspicions, right?
Heh heh... It is always fun to see how many Schrodinger's Wolf scenarios we can come up with.

Now for the part some of you will hate me for, but I'm going to take an observing stance for awhile, because that is what I do (even if I'm apparently... blind...), and return once I'm finished with schoolwork and taming the disaster zone of my house.
Ta ta for now.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #36
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I
Quote:
I think the little orphan speaks a lot of sense - unlike you my son...

I'm looking forwards to this as well as I tend to be the "always look at the bright side of life" -person. With no gifteds we really have to work this out ourselves and that sounds like a challenge. Managing that of course means we need to actually play, everyone of us. No seer will pick the under the radar creepies for us and no ranger will defend our assets either. I guess I need not continue this train of thought any further at this point...

I'd suggest getting rid of that wolfsie with her creepy name as our first step but I'm afraid that's not within our powers.

EDIT: x'd with the Ka
I'm glad to see everyone loking on the bright side– of course that's only to be expected of my husband. He only recently stopped referring to this winter as a "cold snap".

I seem to recall from the old tales that gifteds were quite useful in our ancestor's villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
At last, at last, no more second-guessing "X is acting strange, but wait, he might be gifted, better say nothing". No more laying low hoping that the seer will stay hidden and get it right in the end.
Yes, but let's not allow that to get twisted into, "well, hey, it doesn't matter who we lynch". I suspect the wolves may try that.

I don't have time to say any more (or read everything properly), but I'm a bit worried about why everyone is going after the poor orphan Lommy. It wasn't nice of her to pick on my son, but children will be children. I really think it was just a joke. Although:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Well, it's possible...

I can't say anymore now... working my fingers to the bone,I am, and does anyone care? *goes off muttering*
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #37
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*wakes up*

Wha? Huh? Yes, of course, absolutely right... *mumbles*

Well, this brings back some memories... Back in 457 - of the First Age, mind - yeah, then there were real Werewolves, back when Sauron ruled the Island...

Wait, where am I? Rikae, where are you?!

*tries to relax without falling back to sleep*

Right...well...I don't see anything wrong with good little Lommy, but I am hardly surprised she's getting attention. She's just doing a lot of talking, and no one's too fond of reading through page after page... Just seems Nogrod and Boro and Mac and...who else in this game likes all that analyizing stuff?...haven't gotten quite warmed up yet for anything too lengthy, anyway, so she's the biggest target at the moment.

Really I think Lommy's behaviour can easily be explained by her youth. Lots of energy there. Of course, some of us are hardly acting our age... *glances at Sally*

Macalaure did rather jump on her, but he's just as young and hasty.

*sighs* I can see already I'm going to have trouble understanding you people. Some of you are certainly mad. *glances at Sally, then at Nogrod* I mean, an agreeable, optimistic beggar?!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #38
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
To be honest, I believe people have their own styles of playing and tend to use them regardless of their roles. I honestly don't think we can find a wolf by playing style here, and I would doubt that Lommy actually plays differently based on her role.
Huh. This seems unlikely to me. I mean, obviously the player would like to maintain some kind of general consistency regardless of role, so that it's not immediately apparent when they are a wolf, BUT: 1) their goals are going to be different, and so the playing style would have to alter somewhat to suit those goals, and 2) not all players are going to be able to avoid acting different when they are a wolf, if only for lack of confidence.

Good to see Durelin up and about. Who hasn't posted yet? Mithalwen and A Little Green?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #39
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, wait. Who is this 'Little Green Person'??
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #40
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Interesting...what to make of this.

Sally says Mac is quick in labelling Thinlo a wolf:

Quote:
Back to business. Young Mac, why do you feel the need to so quickly label Little Lommie as a wolf? You and your brother Menel seem to take what she says and use it to cast her in an evil light.
Durelin concurs:

Quote:
Macalaure did rather jump on her, but he's just as young and hasty.
Yet it was myself who first made a connection between Thinlo and wolfishness.

What to make of this?

Maybe they are both raising a point that Mac was quick to switch from Nogrod to Thinlo...hmm that would be a good eye from our two elders in the town. Or maybe they (as wolves) are seeking to try to focus suspicion on Mac based on Thinlo's earlier concerns?

Just thought I'd throw that out there.