The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril What do you think of...

Alright, before I explain my new thread, let me confess that I can't sleep, so I came here. Gee, that could go under a thread called 101 reasons you know your obsessed with the BD's when... But we're not supposed to do list-y-ish things, so we won't do that.

Now, to the real purpose of this thread...(this came to me as I was lying there, trying to fall asleep...reason number 10 I'm obsessed!) We are going to make people's day. On this thread I want you to name some fellow Downers, and what your impressions of them are here. NO MEAN COMMENTS! Nothing like Airehirel is stupid, or she starts dumb threads! Even if it is true...lol...This is not a place to rant about someone's bad grammar or spelling or silly, childish ways. This is meant to be an uplifting experience.

Perhaps you can tell something funny you have noticed about them, or the reason you really like having them around. Maybe the reason why they are memorable to you. The people you mention do not have to be specific haunters of Middle Earth Mayhem, perhaps it is someone you've noticed on the Books or Movies forum, and you respect their opinions.

You can speak about someone who has already been mentioned. Again, as long as it is nice. Remember the old adage...if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Try not to make one word comments, as it could become list-y-ish, and we don't want to make the mod's upset! Oh, yes, and sucking up is quite alright here! (The Barrow-Wight is the greatest!) LOL, that's how I got such good grades in school, partly my own brains, and partly teachers pet...now you hate me...sorry.

You can also come back, and post as many times as you want, even about the same person if something else strikes you about them later on. And you may want to come back here often to see what others may say about you. Don't be sad if it seems no one is talking about you, perhaps they want to search that one thing you said, to make sure they get it right. Or perhaps, (like me!), they won't remember everyone their first time around!

But to keep this LotR related, which it must be, you also need to give a reason why you like a character or two (or more) so much, or why they are so memorable to you. They do not have to be in just the LotR books. It can be from the Hobbit, or any other LotR RELATED book. Unlike the first part, you can bash characters here. Just make sure your bash has some intellegence behind it. Don't say something like: Aragorn is a dork. And that's it...please explain WHY you think he's a dork. If you disagree with someone else's assessment of a character, please keep it to yourself. This is NOT a place for arguments. And please make a note beside the characters name like (book) because there are some Downers floating around with character names...wouldn't want to confuse them!

So here's the start!

Meela: What will always stick with me about Meela is her love of Denethor and Grima!! Two guys you'd think no one would love, and she loves them. Also, she seems to find really sadistic things amusing, and that amuses me!!

Rynoah: She loves Boromir! She started the whole Disco movement, THANKS!! She cracks me up!

Oddwen: I love the scenes that she comes up with on the Crazy Scenes with Pics thread! She is very prolific with her ideas!

Pippin: (from the book, of course) The thing that strikes me the most about him, right now anyway, is the fact that he loves his food and ale so much! I also love his silly innocence, which seems to get him in so much trouble!

Sam: (book) I love his loyalty. And the love he has for Frodo. It is very moving the way he cares for him so much. I know in today's society it can easily be misconstrued as a "gay" feeling, but I don't think that it is. It is probably more along the lines of a brotherly love, but an even deeper bond. It's beautiful!

These are mine for now!

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]

[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]
Old 04-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Airehiriel is great because she doesn't think my sadistic qualities are bad qualities [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Meela: One thing I've noticed about Meela is that she always has something original to say(unlike some of us slow typers), and that every thing she says is worth reading.

Airehiriel: One thing I've noticed about Airehiriel is that she usualy has insite from a different point of view than most others. And it's usualy a nice one.

Rynoah: One thing I've really noticed about Rynoah is that she is a great artist and goofy in a great way.

Pennthageniel(sorry if I spelled it wrong): Something I've really noticed about Penn is that she never runs out of good ideas and that you should never steal her pills, SHE NEEDS THOSE!!!!

I would love to go on and on but I have to go for a tad, be back with more soon, hopefully very soon.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sorry if that was list-ish.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I love the sentiments guys, and I'm sure everyone else appreciates them, too. Just don't forget to make a comment about a character or more to keep this LotR related, and thus not getting closed down.

Arafangwan makes me think of an exceedingly happy teenager, (sorry if your not, no offense!) and you remind me a bit of myself, though I am not a teenager anymore. And she definately knows who she loves! LOL

Merry: I like the fact that he starts out as a care-free hobbit and then by the end he turns into being ever so brave! I won't go into detail, considering some of you may not know the ending of the story.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Sting

Thanx Airehiriel, and I am, so no offence taken either way, I always want to be young.

Legolas(book): I love Legolas because of his amazing character, not meaning himself but his mind and willpower. I think all elves are great but I like him in particular because of all the pressures put on him and the way he handles them.

Anything But Arwen: I think Leo is truely one of the funniest people in Middle Earth! The fact that she dosn't follow the crowd and love Arwen to death is awesome!

It's short but I'll be back with more....
Old 04-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadrieloftheolden for sharing my obsession with squirrels and squirrel-like animals.

Pippin(book) for always being able to say something to make everybody laugh at just about any time, good or bad, and the fact that he knows humor has it's place and will get serious as soon as he has to, not to mention he never drinks and drives!

the Barrow wight for putting up with me and my one-man revolutionary wannabe

arafangwen: um... uhhhh.... oh! i got one!, nope, never mind. (really, she one of the coolest sisters a guy could ask for)

Airehiriel for coming up with ideas for these kind of things!

Meela for always having something to say, and always being original

The saucepan man, well.... he's the saucepan man!
Old 04-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aww... I feel loved, guys. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Airehiriel: She's just fun to goof-off with and is responsible for many, many, MANY fun threads. I'll always remember her as the funny official lady that almost shut down Rivendell. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meela: She likes Denethor. Denethor is a Steward. 'Nough said. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

One Axe To Rule Them All: Into the whole "SQUIRRELS!" craze. And the nickname will always make me think of Gimli standing on Barad-Dûr holding his axe waiting for someone to challenge his rule.

Eressie: She shares my name! ACK! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oddwen: My partner in starting the whole Disco King craze. And she can make some side-splitting scenes in the Crazy Scenes with Pics thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Penn: She's just crazy, dang it. That's a good thing!

Boromir: Loyal, strong and knows what he wants.

Faramir: He's the strong, silent type. That's always good.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Rynoah, the Overly-Happy ]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Rynoah: she's always got something supportive so say about just about everybody
(By the way, that was why i got that name, i'm a big gimli fan)

faramir: knew his shortcomings, unlike boromir, but the slight mind-reading thing just creeped me out....

Penn: just plain wacky.... in a really good way

legolas, he had a strong sense of justice, and wouldn't hesitate to stand up for the opressed and downtrodden...
Old 05-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #9
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

One Axe to Rule them All : Who else who have the guts to take on the Mod's?! I also really like the fact that he speaks decently about his sister! He's also pretty dang funny.

Gollum: I think he is such a tragic figure. But I also think he was pretty bad from the beginning. Sometimes I can't help but feel sorry for him, other times I don't like him at all. What a dynamic character.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Saruman; he was a tragic story, once good and wise, but he was corrupted by Sauron and became just another lackey for Sauron's will, and even after he was beaten, he was still a victim of his own bitterness and deceit, grasping at power he could not touch.

i believe that saruman was corrupted by his greed and lust for power, so when Sauron promised him power, he went for it without a second thought.

Trippo the Hippo: now who cannot burst into laughter when he posts a funny post?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #11
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Airehiriel: For starting cool uplifting threads like this one.

Estelyn Telcontar: For being a very active monitor, (also very nice.)

Rynoah: For being a great (and vitorious) Disco Competiter, Sneeky little hobbit, tricksy it issss preciousss.

And to all those who are drop dead deceased that are good dead people.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #12
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is just off the top of my head..

One Axe to Rule them all. For his attempt to get us to sign a petition to keep the origional Elrond's guest book..

Rynoah: For openig up my eyes to how great Boromir is at Disco...lol

Ill have more later... for sure!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Saruman; he was a tragic story, once good and wise, but he was corrupted by Sauron and became just another lackey for Sauron's will, and even after he was beaten, he was still a victim of his own bitterness and deceit, grasping at power he could not touch.
i believe that saruman was corrupted by his greed and lust for power, so when Sauron promised him power, he went for it without a second thought.
That was exceedingly insightful, One Axe! I would have to agree with your analysis of Saruman. We know that at one point in time he was good, but something did corrupt him. It appears even the extremely powerful can fall victim to the temptations of power.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Firondoiel: homeschoolers ROCK!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And she is no exception!

The Phantom: Mysteriously funny, he has a great vocabulary, unlike some whom I shan't mention.

Trippo the Hippo: A dancing hippo! *dies of laughter* *again* But honestly, if he wants to be funny he suceeds and if he dosn't, he is also sucessfull.

All the Mods: for putting up with our persisting insanity [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . We Love You!(although we don't show it very well, mabey it's because we're dead...)

GaladrielOfTheOlden: For being so funny for someone so young! It's a very good thing!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Firondoiel: homeschoolers ROCK!!!!! And she is no exception!
Thank you Arafangwen! *Firondoiel wipes a tear from her eye* The same about you definitely!

Airehiriel: She was so sweet to start this thread! She also has a great sense of humor!

Arafangwen: She's so much fun to talk to! She's one of the nicest people I've met on the Downs. She offered to go with me to the party when I didn't have a partner. You're great Arafangwen!

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #16
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Awsome! Another Homeschooler! I'm proud to say that I am one, how else could I put in half the Post that I do? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #17
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Everdawn - ruler of Merry Springer. That has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen yet!

Mornie - really good at coming up with some excellent crazy scenes. Must have an extremely active imagination.

Aragorn - (can't forget the LotR characters! Must keep this related!) I admire his ability to trudge through the difficulties of the life he lived before he attained his crown. He was persistant, and even a little crazy, who else would take the Paths of the Dead?
Old 05-09-2003, 01:36 AM   #18
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I admire LEGOLAS for putting up with that BLOODY DWARF!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-09-2003, 07:33 AM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I admire... no, adore Denethor. But god knows why... I still haven't figured out why I'm flippin' attracted to him.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #20
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
hey nice! fellow homeschoolers! hurrah!

I like Tom Bombadil because of his sense of otherness, his really great memory, and, strangely, for his seclusion. I think his folksy wisdom is really cool, his magic never seems like magic(it seems more like an extension of himself, his personality), and his almost child-like ways are so endearing, yet they set him apart. He definitely is a 'person' of his own, and I like that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] There's just something about him that is undefinable (at least, to me), and i think that's what makes him one of my favorite characters!
Peace
Old 05-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #21
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Barrow Downs Yavanna228! I hope you'll enjoy being dead here with us! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That's cool you're homeschooled too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You too Mornie! There's so many homeschoolers on the Downs!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:15 PM   #22
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

Quote:
I'm a homeschooler, too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #23
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

mind if I join in?

Frodo-my absolute favorite character, and I'm not sure why exactly, I suppose I can relate to Frodo most. He faces a lot of problems.. and so do I.. but I won't get into that [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Merry & Pippin: they are comic relief, but also really brave in RoTK, they serve as knights and aren't just those silly little hobbits who get into waaay too much trouble after all

and on the otherside of the coin:

Arwen (movie) I really dislike Arwen in the movie. I guess this could lead to say that Glorfindel is one of my favorite characters for the scene at the Ford of Bruinen. However, Arwen usurps Glorfindel in the movie, and isn't even supposed to be in TTT...
Old 05-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #24
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

I was homeschooled, but the stupid rules kept my genius from being recognized...Anyway.

Helkahothion: Wacky is good.

Durlossiel: I have to say something good about her, she's my sister! She's cool.

Rynoah: Do the wave for Boromir the Disco King! I love that.

Airehiriel: This is a great idea! Thanks!

The Saucepan Man: He's crazy and that's so cool. Crazy people keep the world interesting.

The Barrow Wight: Thank you for starting this site!!!

My sisters are staring at me, waiting for their turn on the computer so I'll get off now.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:31 AM   #25
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I admire Merry... for being the best host of Merry Springer EVER!
lol

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-10-2003, 01:43 AM   #26
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
let me confess that I can't sleep, so I came here.
Well... I can't sleep either. It's 3:30...
Quote:
Galadrieloftheolden for sharing my obsession with squirrels and squirrel-like animals.
Lol, and One Axe, for mentioning [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
One Axe To Rule Them All: Into the whole "SQUIRRELS!" craze. And the nickname will always make me think of Gimli standing on Barad-Dûr holding his axe waiting for someone to challenge his rule.
Lol!
All of these 'squirrel' comments make me feel weird. Squirrel is my nickname... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
GaladrielOfTheOlden: For being so funny for someone so young! It's a very good thing!
Arafangwen... I'm only a bit younger than you. Unless you mean you're young too. Thank you anyhow [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
I admire... no, adore Denethor. But god knows why... I still haven't figured out why I'm flippin' attracted to him.
Yes Meela, when you figure it out please post it all over the forum, as all of us are exceedingly interesting it finding out [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Arafangwen, kittie, Firondoiel, Trippo, One Axe, (in no particular order), and all of the other people who talked to me at the party, you guys were great fun!

Airihiriel- for making another complimenting thread! There's already one in the BDs section, but you can never have too many of these. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh dear. It's 3:40 and I still haven't gone to bed. Oh, to hell with bed! I think I'll be pulling another allnighter... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien