The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Lord of the Rings 2003

So, I'm planning to "rewrite" this fantastic book, so that it would happen in our time and in our world. But I really could use some help.

What do you think - should I make it short, with only main replics and adventures, or a pretty long one, so that it would have even most of the fights with the orcs?

I'm not yet completely sure if I turn the whole story to our world - making elves Finns(of course, I'm from Finland :P) and so on.

Or should I keep the names same and make it still happen in Middle-Earth? Nonetheless, the elves, dwarves, hobbits, dragons, balrogs, orcs and so on will be turned to humans. But their nature will be the same. Comments.

I think the Ring would be something with which you could - err - fire nuclear weapons from the pits of Mt. Doom? :P Sauron, homewer, isn't able to fire them, because he doesn't have the "Ring". The great character(Galadriel, Gandalf, and so on) are able to do that with the Ring, because they are able to find out the password?

But if you want to help, then post your ideas to this thread. With what should I replace the dwarves, elves and such races that are not seen in the real world? How is the "Ring" able to make somebody live longer? Or how is it possible for some characters to live so long? Or should I just turn all those "thousands of years" to "dozens of years"?

Well, hope the admins don't delete this thread, though this is pretty.. Stupid one?

And remember, this is going to be sort of funny parody, so crazy things are allowed too :P If I can ever complete this, I will add the names of everybody who helped to credits.

Erm.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always saw the ring as a really cool car. It dosnt do much for you, it damages all that surrounds it, but no-one can give it up. Its killing the world, but no-one has the heart to destroy it.

One thing I must suggest is that you dont make it to modern. LOTR could never work without some element of magic, so i suggest that there is some of that to.

i like the neuclear wepons idea.
characters that live longer could simply have a kind of hi-tech medical science that alows them to look alot younger, and perhaps prolong their lives.

Thats my ideas for the moment. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I can imagine it!

Gandalf: You cannot offer me this car!
Frodo: I'm giving it to you.
G: Don't-tempt-me Frodo. Understand, I would drive the car out of a desire to do good, but through me it would wield pollution too great and terrible to imagine.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #4
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

Actually, I've heard that Tolkien made the Ring to represent the machine.
I think that goes cause of this- man once had a chance to destroy it, but instead it has grown and comsumed us all. It now runs our daily lives and pollutes the world around us. But still, even thought we know what it does, we can't give it up because we've become so used to it, we don't know what we would do without it.
A society of Gollums, imagine that... *sigh*
That's my two bits, but don't stake my life on the fact about Tolkien saying the Ring represented the machine. That's just what I've heard.

-
Old 01-20-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yikes afrodel...should take awhile. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
i think you should make the hobbits kids, and everyone else evil grownup peoples. the ring could be some sort of international secret weapon, and the leader of some maniacal country wants it, except it's been given to the kids because no one will suspect that they have it...y'know?
wow, i've been watching waaayyy too much alias.
good luck with your LOTR adaptation afrodel. are you planning to rewrite the entire story, or just the first book?
ah, drat. i spelled your name wrong. sorry.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: nuguernachil ]
Old 01-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Interesting idea.....Though it's probably going to be somewhat hard. All of the story would be very hard. I mean who can take the place of Aragorn? How would you explain Gollum? I agree with nuguernachil, the hobbits need to be children. Maybe in an orphanage of some type, Bilbo is a teenager who acts like Frodo's big brother. But he runs off..and he leaves behind a map or something that leads to a place he found something humans don't need (weapon of mass destruction, immortality elixir, time machine, etc. etc.)Ack....I'm babbling. As for the races, I wouldn't worry about making a certain race this and this. It doesn't have to black and white. Man itself can be good or evil. It adds to that mysteriousness on who to trust.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:53 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
I will add the names of everybody who helped to credits.
mmmm.... recognition.... *snaffle-snaffle*

I plan to do a modern take on the story myself, but rather than beat you up I have decided we will probably help each other. My main advice to you, Afro, is to make the book you will be writing your own individual take on the Lord of the Rings. What is an orc, to you? What is a Nazgûl? What lessons about friendship did you learn? Details, we can help you with though.
Quote:
How is the "Ring" able to make somebody live longer?
Representative in a sense of technology, the Ring could be medical technology. Today we have the means to keep people alive far beyond the time when they would have naturally expired. But just as with the use of the One Ring there are moral considerations. Maybe it is a kind of fountain of youth, a drug or a medical treatment. That would explain the long life thing, although it's hardly the most important characteristic of the Ring.

Reading some H.G. Wells would give you some excellent all-round ideas. The Morlocks and the... other ones from The Time Machine are different races that represent a certain type of human being. Do you think your book will ever be Finnished?
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #8
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
the hobbits need to be children.
Please not little children! One thing that really annoyed me about hobbits was how the men treated them as kids, even though they were older than them! Perhaps teenagers?
As for an orphanage, I wouldnt reccomend it. Hobbits were known for big familys, and also orphanages are not the happiest place on earth.

I agree with doug*platypus in that it shold be your interpretation. other whise, your just stealing the idea.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think you should make the hobbits children . . . I don't know why, but something tells me that that's just asking for disaster.

There are so many things you could do with this- what a great idea? Why didn't I think of it before? (Don't worry, I won't steal it from you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Well, my suggestion is . . . hm . . . my own suggestion disgusts me, but it's still a suggestion:

What if you likened all the battles on Middle-Earth to cruelty between high-school cliques? It wouldn't have to be a preachy thing on how cruel high-school kids are to each other or some silly novel. You could make it into a satire of sorts.

Or, if you wanted to use the world as Middle-Earth, you could always draw parallels with anyone of the World Wars. It's been said that Tolkien intended Lord of the Rings to be an allegory for his time, but he himself said that he intended no such thing, so you wouldn't be stealing ideas. *gasp* wow, that was a long sentence.

I think I'm done now. But uh . . . yeah. Those are my suggestions. And I love this idea!!! Good luck with the book [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, I like the world war thing. The nazgul would just have to be super modern mini jets, as would the eagles.

However, this could turn out to be way to much like James Bond.

I actualy tried this once, but as I was only six at the time, it didn't get far. I hadnt actually read the book, so I had the black riders ( on moter bikes) steal Sam.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:44 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do you want to make this story funny, or still keep the level of seriousness that LOTR sorta has? Because the hobbits should still be kinda innocent, but not children, how about teenagers from a very small town. And you need to keep Frodo as the everyman, for at least the first book.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:09 PM   #12
Teluialwen

Sting

hmmmm i think this will turn out to be a mighty adventue for you...writing this.. if it is going to be on the funny side i have a couple ideas... like one Rivendell should take place in las Vegas and then possible have near the ocean someplace pretty be Lothlorien... and gollum could be a short little man who is always parinoided and suffer from like tons of alerges and some other funny random things like that...

for all who come....some may leave
Teluialwen of Lothlorien
Old 07-28-2003, 03:26 AM   #13
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Quote:
Gandalf: You cannot offer me this car!
Frodo: I'm giving it to you.
G: Don't-tempt-me Frodo. Understand, I would drive the car out of a desire to do good, but through me it would wield pollution too great and terrible to imagine.
That's a good one! A car?? It should be a ring, dude..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

When you are going to write this thing, I wouldn't have made it "too" modern. And Hobbits, in my eyes, are not children.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

My brother and I mused about writing something like this for a while. Ooh...replace the "Ring" with "Fast Food", instead of prolonging life it ends it horribly.
Instead of a Balrog, Red Tape.
Gandalf as a financial wizard.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maybe the Ring should be like a key to all of the evil machinery in the modern world. Without the key the machinery wouldn't work.

Just a suggestion.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #16
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you replace the Ring with a femme fatale, you might have Middle Earth-Noir...heh heh! I can see the Ring telling Isildur, "Come on baby, I'll get you outta here. Just jump in this lake; no one will see you! " Ringlady winks and turns her head to the bushes and signals the orcs to "come on out! he's all yours! now where's my $50,000?"

What fun! I'd say there are millions of paths you can take, Afrodal! I wish you great joy in the creation! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #17
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

In the topic "New Movie Script" in M-E Mirth, the nazgul are politicians. Maybe you could have an evil politician trying to take over the world(Sauron), and a bunch of sycophant(sp?) politicians to help him(nazgul).
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #18
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I remember now: it was sort of an Apple/IBM war type thing. The Ring was a disk with a powerful virus on it, and Aragorn was the heir to a powerful company (something about a disputed will?).

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:40 PM   #19
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Quote:
How is the "Ring" able to make somebody live longer?
Because the 'ring' is round-shaped booklet full of healthy food-information and beauty tips(how to cover your wrinkles, say goodbye to your eye-bags...). And that's why it's quite hard to Galadriel to say no when Frodo offers the 'ring' to her. Frodo (ofcourse) is so handsome already that he doesn't need any beauty tips...
A long journey with Sam and Gollum and without a mirror makes Frodo to become attached to the One Booklet( especially the beauty section) and when they reach the Mt.Donut (the fountain of uglyness and unhealthy food) it's so hard to throw the Booklet away. What a sad story! One Booklet to rule them all!

ok, somebody's really tired...nevermind [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To Afrodal Fenyar: Suomalaiset haltioita!?!Hyvä idea...
Kiva huomata, et täällä on muitaki saunan ja salmiakin maasta, ah isänmaa [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ööö...ehkä todellaki pitäis mennä nukkumaan!

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 08-03-2003, 01:48 PM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
In the topic "New Movie Script" in M-E Mirth, the nazgul are politicians.
I believe that I am guilty for starting that concept. That was just a random thought that came into my head, but I am glad that everybody thought it was funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 04:10 PM   #21
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Elróthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HI! I love your idea, so you better patent pending it before I nick it! (JOKE!)
Anyhoo, DON'T make the hobbits be children!!!
Instead, make them be midgets who all grew up in a town of midgets somewhere south of the border! (LOL)
Because this is gonne be in the genre of LotR, its gotta have SOME fantasy in it! So keep the Elves as Elves! They are the best, so they gotta stay! If you have no Elves, I hope your brains fall out of your head, and you slip on them and hurt yourself! (Not really! Its just a point saying I really, really like Elves!)
The Nazgúl can be diseases and infections that fly around in the air! Only they've turned solid because of something the Elves did.
The Ring can be a credit card! Its got over 15000 billion dollars in it, and so everyone wants it. Only thing is, you have to pay lots of interest every time you use it, so it doesn't really do any good. And you have to get a magical pair of scissors from Galadriel, and take it and them to Mount Dustbin where you must then cut up the One Credit Card and drop it into Mount Dustbin!

Oh! If you're making hobbits midgets, make Gimli be a short version of one of those scottish people (no offense to scottish people!) who has red hair and beard and wears kilts! Only don't have Gimli wear a kilt because that would be too disturbing for words, and I would have to kill myself somehow.

Namárie!
From
Elróthiel, the Insane Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter!