The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Thumbs up Where in Middle-Earth do YOU live?

If you had to describe where you lived, what place would it most resemble in Ea?

I live in the Comox Valley in the south-west corner of Canada. It's a grouping of small towns fairly close together with alot of surrounding land between the mountains. I think I live in Ithilien. I've seen some paitings from John Howe, and other conseptual artists that are Ithilien, lots of Trees, rivers and fields against the mountains. When I get up for school in the morning, I look out on the wild lands west of my house and I see Ithilien, you can even see a tiny bridge over one of the rivers, it's gorgeous right when the sun tips over the mountains and every tree is a different shade of green and the sky is soo blue it looks like it's been scrubbed. The only thing that's wrong with it, is that I live on an Island and theres ocean to the east, but you can't see it from my house.

So I live in Ithilien, where do you live?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Sounds lovely where you live [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but of course Canada is very beautiful. As for where I live, it comes closer to the Shire - hillside with lots of trees. That if you choose to overlook the traffic and the noise and all the modern hype. It's a
'tehnologized (?) Shire'.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Technologized Shire?!? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] is such a thing possible? I live somewhere in Harad. Or by the sea of Rhun. That sounds accurate to me. Dallas is hot, humid, kind of boring, and highly mechanized. So there you have it. A boring, hot, humid, technology-driven spot by the Sea of Rhun is where I make my residence. Joy.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings, I am Maethorien. As you can see,I am very new here. Where I live, it doesn't look much like anywhere in Middle-earth, though if you drive an hour in one direction, it looks a lot like the Shire. In a different direction, there's a bridge (Yes, not a river, a bridge,)which looks frighteningly like the Anduin. It even has a couple of statues which remind me of the Argonath.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dūm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I live in New Mexico, I think that In Los LUnas that would have to be Rohan on the Mesa that is and the foot hills of the Monzano Mountains, But of course in the River vally we actually have a Bosque( the only thing that is close to a forest) It is still Rohan. My mother's back yard could be in the Shire cause we let things overgrow, we like them like that. In Albq. it is very much like Gondor, people people everywhere..... and not to mention pavement, but still close to the mountians and the Bosque. Albuquerque is a long and flat city not tall, so I would still place it in Gondor but I am not shure.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:01 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's hard to define where I live, as I have a number of choices. I would say that the majority of the land is very much Shire-esque, but a lot of it reminds me of Rohan. We have a bridge that I cross on my way home and because it is downhill, you can see the fields and plains all the way to the horizon. So I stand at the top of this bridge, gazing out across the land, with my hair blowing about my face. Give me a white dress and call me Eowyn!
But this view from the bridge also makes me feel as though I am in Gondor. Although it is more of a village than a great city, parts of it occasionally have a grim, grey feeling about them, much like Minas Tirith. So if I were to stand on that bridge and gaze at the old, grey churches and domes, I might well be looking out across the fields and plains of Ithilien.

I suppose it depends on my mood and the atmosphere. If it were a cold, grey morning, I doubt I could find aspects of anything but Gondor. But on a glorious sunny day like today, when i'm looking out of the window, all I can see is a little kitchen garden filled with pots of flowers and herbs and hanging baskets, and beyond that the lawns and gorgeous, green trees that line the banks of the little stream. And I can quite easily imagine myself as a hobbit.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
Technologized Shire?!? is such a thing possible?
Yes - it is: see the Scouring of the Shire.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #8
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where I live is very much like the Shire because it is a small community with lots of fields and small pockets of housing/shops, but also a few wooded areas too. But I'm not really sure where exactly in the Shire it would be - perhaps somewhere like the Eastfarthing or the Buckland, with the Old Forest not too far away?
Old 09-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #9
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Sting

i live in surrey, which is very shire-esque in places. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But when I look out one of my windows, so I can jst see the top of the trees and not the garden, it might well be lothlorien. In autum (sp?) anyway.
Forest Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:40 AM   #10
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Where I live usually reminds me of the Shire, with a bit of other parts of Middle-Earth mixed into it. My town is very small, and if you drive out of it into the country there are many green hills, and forests nearby as well. But in the winter when I have to walk to school, sometimes it reminds me of Caradhras! (except on flat land, not a mountain.) Last winter, there was one week where it was about -20 degrees farenheit about every morning! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Silmaril

Meh. My area is too moderny to be Middle Earthian, but the woods round our area go from Lothlorien to Eryn Lasgalen (Mirkwood) They all used to be joined up, so I might be living in that gap by the Anduin. Theres a river pretty near us anyhoo. I wish I lived in Rohan though *sigh*
Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I say I live in Mordor... The mountains here are pretty much in the same formation as the ash mts. there's a ton of smog (thus proving the air being a poisonous fume) occasionally you can't tell whether it's day or not. The little streams of water are well... brown and muddy. There's this one tower in the capital that reminds me of barad-dur...As for mount doom... it must be one of the seven surrounding volcanoes.. I think it might be Mt. Irazu... still active... yeah. Lovely place I live in, huh?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #13
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Hmm, I don't know. Where in Middle-Earth is there a lot of sagebrush?

About a half-hour drive from my house is a place that always makes me think of Lothlorien, because there are so many aspen trees, and in one place it's just like the scene from the movie where they meet Haldir, though the trees in that section are pines, not aspens. Aspens to me look like Mallorn trees.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:50 PM   #14
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Yes - it is: see the Scouring of the Shire.
Ah, so you live in the Scouring of the Shire, Evisse? That doesn't sound too nice. How are the ruffians round your parts? Have you torn down any rules lately? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:42 PM   #15
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
I say I live in Mordor...
Me too, except there's no volcano. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I live in a valley, surrounded by mountains (big ones), and if people hadn't come in and planted stuff it would be one big desert/wasteland. I guess I could say I live in Southern Mordor, near Nurnen (I am near a pretty big lake...). So, ElenCala, it looks like you have a neighbor in Middle-earth! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Where in Middle-Earth is there a lot of sagebrush?
Maybe Rohan; it looked kinda sagebrushy in the Movies. You don't live in Wyoming by any chance, do you? Just curious...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-06-2003, 08:12 PM   #16
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Rohan, the equal of Birsbane in Middle Earth. My part of Australia this itme of year is dry and the land is relativly flat with many many grasslands and people who of course have horses. We just dont have the mountains. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #17
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Hmm. My city doesn't really remind me of anywhere in ME, but I can say otherwise when I speak of my entire state. Idaho is known for its wilderness, and there are so many places here that remind me of ME.

Most of the forests I visit in Idaho remind me of either the area surrounding Rivendell or of Amon Hen. Once, I stayed in a campground that was next to a river. When I stared out across the river and blocked all the telephone poles and cars from my mind, I could completely visualize the entire Flight to the Ford scene.

In July, I had the pleasure of going horseback riding at Redfish Lake, Idaho. The trail guide led us through a forest that reminded me of Lothlorien. Okay, the trees weren't golden, but they seemed to glow (the lighting was perfect that day).

Also, there's a mountain range in Idaho called the Sawtooth Mountains that look a bit like the Caradhras.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #18
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Quote:
That doesn't sound too nice. How are the ruffians round your parts? Have you torn down any rules lately?
Always. The fight never ends. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Aw, it seems everyone is living in a paradise of some sort- even the Mordor-like ones. So what are you guys doing in front of the monitor? Go out, breath the fresh ME air! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #19
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well you lot are all lucky. I live in the suburbs of Gloucester, although I suppose the Forest of Dean is like Mirkwood.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #20
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Question

Hm. I don't know enough about ME geography (and I don't really have anything around for reference), so if anyone'd like to give me better suggestions, they'd be very welcome. <3.

Anyway, I live in the hilly part of Ohio, USA (pretty much like all of West Virginia), and there're lots of trees. I think the majority are oaks, maples, and elms, but a great deal of it is about *exactly* where you are. There're a few pine groves, a few birch copses. Just depends.

The hills here are considered the 'foothills of the Appalachians,' so they're big, but not too big. The houses are all close, but there aren't really many organized towns. Just populated roads.

Only thing I can think of is maybe Mirkwood, but wasn't that land flat? Any hilly wooded lands? Lothlorien comes to mind for a moment, but the trees here certainly don't match what they showed in the movie. The version in my head had 'em match, though. ;D

[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: QuickSlash ]
Old 09-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #21
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Quote:
Any hilly wooded lands?
You would probably be living in the Trollshaws, near Rivendell.

I live in Norfolk, VA, a coastal city with a large naval base. It would be most like Pelargir or Dol Amroth.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #22
elvenstar

Sting

Well i live in the countryside of Northumberland (a county in England bordering Scotland). So in places it is like the shire, rohan and rivendell.
I live in a very shire like place with lots of farms and little communities, and nearby is a river with woodland which in the autumn (ie now) looks a lot like Rivendell.
However i do live near the sea, so i am not sure where in middle earth that could relate to!
Old 09-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #23
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Quote:
So, ElenCala, it looks like you have a neighbor in Middle-earth!
Good to know, I'm not alone [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #24
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I just spent time in Sydney, and all the itme i was there i was thinking, This is Dol Amroth! true, go there and see its just great!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 09-30-2003, 03:04 PM   #25
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

How does Sydney resemble Dol Amroth?

Nilly
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Well my dear Nilly.

Basically i mean the inner city, not the suburbs.. (Jeez! Cabramatta could be Mordor!)I mean the harbours and the sailing boats in them, and you go out a little further and there is the sea, it just made me think of Sydney.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 10-05-2003, 04:10 AM   #27
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm..suburban London anyone? Most likely Saruman's evil dream or something [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Possibly Othanc - there is a river; three, actually.
My hometown in New Zealand (never been there except when I was born but I've seen pictures) looks like Rohan. Rolling hills etc. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 04:25 AM   #28
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm I live in Berkshire. I guess you could say where I am is the technologicalised Shire, because all the nice farmland and fields are being built on. There used to be lots of countryside round where I live. People were evacuated there in the Second World War. That wouldn't happen now... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Darn that Gordon Brown!!! Why can't the builders develop brown sites instead? Or employers develop in the north so that people don't have to move down south??
You people are lucky with all your mountains and stuff. No mountains here [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Now what would you call the Lake District? It is very beautiful, with its small mountains (or big hills, I doubt they are large enough for mountains) and lakes.
And what about Lanzarote? I'd say that is a red Mordor. *shudders*

[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 10-07-2003, 12:19 PM   #29
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, the Lake District's great. It's hard to place, though, I agree. Very beautiful but not specifically like anywhere in LotR. Maybe somewhere on the borders of the Shire?
I know what you mean about farmland. Used to be a really nice place where I could cycle; now it's a housing estate [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Oh well.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #30
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

Hmmm, hard to say what Los Angeles is like. Well where I am its kind of ok but not country enough to be like the shire. It kind of has the hustle and bustle of Gondor and a touch of Rohan I guess. I know, Bree! That what its like, a mix of different people and somewhat busy. I was hoping my area would be at least somewhat elven but oh well.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #31
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in a town 45 miles south of Louisville Kentucky, and it reminds me of Bree, why I don't know. I think because my town is a small town but it is pretty big. Plus we are kind of a pitstop, just like Bree was for Frodo.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:56 PM   #32
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in Madison, WI. I guess it reminds me of a lot of places. We have tons of lakes that kind of remind me of lake Evendim, and I've seen a house that looks exactly like a hobbit hole, and if you go out into the country it sort of looks like the more rural areas of the Shire. Oh, and there's this apple orchard that looks just like the thrres outside of Isengard in FotR. Then again, my backyard reminds me of Lothlorien because we have a treehouse thats sort of like the talain the elves there live on. Plus, all the leaves are turning yellow this time of year. So I really don't know where Madison looks like.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #33
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Was there ever any question? GONDOR!!!!
Or lothlorien.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:19 PM   #34
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
I live in a temperate rainforest. Right now, it's raining, just like every other day of the week. The few deciduous trees we have have not budded at all. And it's dark, and cloudy, and cold. Our house is in a forest, along with all the other houses on this 13 mile road. Anyways, I think it's best described as Mirkwood. We aslo have big, evil, wolfspiders that invade us in the spring. But thank Eru for my bug-eating cat!

Nehani
watashi no mori desu!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #35
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This thread made me laugh - I always compare 'real' places to Middle Earth! And I thought I was the only crazy one!

Well, I currently live in a big hilly city so I would guess I live in Minas Tirith, but that's where the similarity ends, as it certainly isn't a grand place. My office is in an eye-catching tiered building though, but with an 'Investors in People' flag at the top which is not so inspiring.

I am a Lancastrian, so you could say for real that I grew up in The Shire, as Tolkien is said to have been inspired by Lancashire's Ribble Valley countryside when visiting his son at Stonyhurst College. Although some parts of Lancashire can be a bit more like the dead marshes.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #36
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
That's easy. I'm lucky to love in an earthly equivalent of the Shire. YAY! Ok, I admit there aren't any nice huge open fields, but the land is grassy and all the houses are small, quaint, and look like they're inhabited by rabbits (despite the fact that I haven't seen a rabbit around here in 10 years). Nice place, nice people, too many shopping centers. We're slowly being technologized (umm...not sure if that's the right word) but we keep our links to traditional, only semi-modern culture. Yeah, I ain't movin'.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:19 PM   #37
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
I live in a place that is so much like the Shire my friends and I once thought about making a film of a bit of LoTR in the countryside surrounding our quaint little Cotswold Limestone town. Then we realised how much effort and stuff it would take so we got drunk instead.

Seriously though, there are places near me called Bywater, Newbury and Crickhollow, check your map of the Shire and you'll find these places. Unfortuantley, Wotton-under-Edge doesn't feature on the map.

EDIT: We also havbe tons of local pubs, the sort where on a Thursday or Friday night a load of old men bring their guitars, mandolins and banjos and have a session, and they lock the doors and you stay there till three in the morning, ace!

Last edited by Angry Brandybuck; 03-07-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Angry Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:00 PM   #38
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
I would have to say that I live in Eriador. Maybe near Bree. A wee small town, surrounded by the forest and sitting beside a little river that snakes around it.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #39
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
I too would have to say, the shire, but some places reminds me Mirkwood.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #40
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

Well, since I live in New Orleans, i guess i'd say i live in Osgiliath. It would be because there are tons of tall buildings, it's kinda near the dead marshes, and a river runs through it™!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote