The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril VBulletin Discoveries

As we're all finding our way around the new forum structure, we're discovering nifty features that the old forum didn't have. Let's share them to make things easier!

I found myself wondering what the black dots on some of the envelopes were when I looked down the thread list on the main page of a forum. I couldn't find an explanation, but finally noticed that those were all threads on which I have posted! Very nice feature!! Now all I have to do to find "my" threads is to look for the dots!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
You can use vB code to add colors to your sig. Just use a {color=(color)}{/color} tag with [] instead of {}. Not incredibally useful, but fun nonetheless. ^_^
Old 02-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Unfortunately all that does is to make your signature so intrusive that your post doesn't get read - which is not a good idea, in my opinion. We've had colors and sizes in the past, and they did not make reading enjoyable.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Indeed, both colors and sizes have been disabled for now. Also keep in mind that our usual policy on sigs -- no more than three lines of text -- is still in force.

One neat new feature is that you can click on the number of replies on a thread and get a breakdown of who posted and how many times they posted.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #5
Estanesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Estanesse has just left Hobbiton.
An other new feature is when you use the search function to find a specific word it will be marked red in the thread.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A Forum Index!!! That's a godsend! I guess you mods really were sick and tired of all the repeats in the thread topics!

And the Buddy List now tells me when someone is online...interesting.

I've been without internet for over a week now, and I come back at a very odd time! It's the first thing that's gotten me excited in several days!!

Thread ratings...? Wow.

And now that I have searched a little bit, it's off to the question thread...
Old 02-11-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Not to be the pessimist, but I find the lack of topic titles on the main page to be a slight bit annoying..

However, the easier access to the "Friends" list in the profile is a nice feature. It makes for one-click PM-ing.

Edit: I just noticed the Forum "Posts:" feature at the top. 207,000!

Last edited by Beren87; 02-11-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
It's nice to go to "user cp" , then to "Forum jump", select "Who's online" and hit "go". You can see what everyone is doing currently , and join in whatever fun you wish.
What is the smilie limit per post? Only three? I hope people don't misinterpret my posts! Smilies are helpful when you're a bit of a joker!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
New Discoveries

To tell the truth, I don't much like the new layout AT ALL!!! The old layout was simple and streamlined, and this one seems jumbled and squashed together. I've been having quite a hard time finding my way around. And I had been off the computer for a week or two, so this was a huge surprise! However, I don't mind the user cp page. Also, that line of buttons up at the top is somewhat helpful. Well, I'm done now. Carry on...
Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmmm.... This layout is practically identical to the old one, so much so that when I go back and forth between the old forum and the new one (we're still working on the move) I usually can't tell which one I am on until I see the line of buttons at the top right of the screen. That's how similar they are to me. The only screens that are different are the ones that didn't exist on the old forum. I'm sure you'll soon grow used to what may seem to you like major changes.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I find the lack of topic titles on the main page to be a slight bit annoying.
We'll be upgrading to a new version when it's released in a few weeks or so, and I'm 99.9% sure that it shows the topic titles on the main page.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #12
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I find it a big improvement that you can see the last posts on a topic while posting a reply!
And also the warning when someone replied to a thread you participate in, although that's something I discovered because this function is automatically on on the new forum, and I learned that it was possible on the old forum as well...Never noticed that.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Dark-Eye Kinda cool..

There are actually many cool features..

I noticed that you can subscribe to threads without actually posting on them. I like that!

It also seems to me that the PMs you send, will be in this "sent messages" folder. Goodies..:P
Old 02-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
*sighes*
I suppose you're right B-W. I guess I'm sorta getting used to it already. Sorta. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Good work B-W!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
One way the layout has changed ever-so-slightly: the posts are slightly narrower. Which means my sig which was 3 lines on the old BD is now 4. Still, I like excuses to find more cool & interesting sigs.

*trundles off to check out the search feature. The old one was sooooo slooooooow*

ps: in the old forum, there would be an inline frame doovy-whatsit under the post a reply box, with the thread-thus-far. It took a while to load, but it was there. Still, the newer version, sans-iframes is much faster, which is good.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-13-2004, 02:40 AM   #16
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya So cool...

I've used the word "cool" in all its meaning for...a thousand times now.

Though still saddened by the disappearance of , I did admit...

Subscription is so cool...I never have to leave the Control Panel again...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #17
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Which means my sig which was 3 lines on the old BD is now 4.
This also depends on your screen resolution - at 1024 x 768, your sig is still three lines. Average screen resolution is getting higher and higher (meaning the specific font values will appear smaller and smaller in relation to the total viewing area) as video cards and monitors improve.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:15 PM   #18
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Well I am a member of antoher completely different msg board which is VBulletin, so none of the features are really a surprise to me. But here are my views on the changes:

I think it's a bit faster, which is always a good thing

I didn't know how to quote on the old board and here i know, so that is also good.

The only thing i don't like is that you can't see the first few lines of the last post like you could on the old one. For instance, on quote threads, you could see whther someone had just put up a new quote or whatever whereas on this one, you actually have to go into teh thread to look.

I don't think it feels jumbled or anything, though.

Oh yeah, and i miss the dveil smilie.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:17 AM   #19
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I have found this change to be actually pretty easy

The only thing I have noticed though is it seems like many people who were on the other forum have not made it over here yet. But hopefully that will change.

But there is one good feature that I had not yet noticed... On the bottom of the main page there is a place where it lists members birthdays for the day. I think this is quite cool.

But hopefully it won't lead to posts like "Happy Birthday *insert name here*" . But I highly doubt that the management of the forum would let happen things like that
Old 02-14-2004, 05:45 AM   #20
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
I discovered that VBulletin dotted threads that I haven't posted in since EZBoard. I am impressed.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #21
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think it's cool that you can mark all the forums as read once you're done rather than having to mark it all individually...it never seemed to work anyway on the last one. I also like how there are all the buttons at the top. Now that I've been on here for a few days I definitely like this one better.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #22
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I've mucked around with the search function, and it is beautiful. So fast! It makes searching fun!

(I need more sleep! )
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #23
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am so happy that the search can search all the forums at once! It was so annoying that I had to search each forum separately on the old one. Not sure if that counts as a new discovery or not...

But I have discovered that when you change your profile you no longer have to make a post to show that the change has been made...now it changes it automatically.

Cheers!
Imladris

Old 02-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #24
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Definitely. I love this new search function. On the old forum, it would always time out.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

The members page is kind of cool. It's cool to be able to look at all the registered members, now if I want to check out someone's profile or something I won't have to hunt down one of their posts. I like it that you can sort by name, date joined, or number of posts. Especially number of posts. I was surprised to see that I'm eleventh on the list by number of posts—have I really posted that much??

A complaint — I noticed the two new icons, the green ball and the eye. Man, I was really hoping to see a Gimli's axe or an Elven leaf brooch or something cool like that. A pointy hat! A tree! The possibilities are endless, why would you use a green ball?

Oh, but I love this: Is that who I think it is?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:05 PM   #26
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Palantir-Green

Quote:
A complaint — I noticed the two new icons, the green ball and the eye. Man, I was really hoping to see a Gimli's axe or an Elven leaf brooch or something cool like that. A pointy hat! A tree! The possibilities are endless, why would you use a green ball?
Yes, I was hoping there would be some new, interesting icons too, but also glad to see that none were missing.

I really like being able to subscribe to threads, it makes it so much easier than having to look through all the forums to see if there are any new posts that I have to read. Actually, I like the entire user cp, there is so much more interesting things, and it is much more organized!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:20 AM   #27
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya Has anyone noticed this...

...I've seen BW use more smilies here than in the previous forum - well, his posts in the previous forum that I've actually seen. And his posts seems...more...jovial, if I may use this word.

OK, so this is not really an observation about the actual forum.

Your account is so dead. - Adam

I know.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 02-18-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #28
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I like the little white dots showing what topics you've posted in, and the birthday list. So cool!

But I hate that I have lost aprox. SIX HUNDRED posts! I was well over 900, and now I am at barely 350.

~Fëa
Closed Thread