The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Radagast in The Hobbit Film (SPOILERS)

Apparently, in the Hobbit film, Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair and his beard and hair are covered in bird droppings.

''He is wearing a funnily-shaped hat with dominant brown and black hues, underneath which is revealed a bird’s nest with hatchlings making a mess all in his hair and beard! McCoy brings a disarming, childlike quality to the character. . . ''

"Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown credits costume and make-up with helping him develop his character. His dormouse-like wizard (with animals running in and out of his beard) has a bird’s nest on his head. He said: ‘The birds don’t like to mess their nest so they stick their bottoms out and poo down my face.’

Also, in a drastic change from the source material, Radagast is the first wizard to visit Dol Guldur and discover that an evil power has established itself there. Later, Saruman makes slighting references to Radagast during a meeting with Gandalf and Galadriel. He accuses the Brown Wizard of indulging in mushrooms and dismisses the notion that the evil power Radagast has discovered could be Sauron.

"at one point, the wizard Saruman scathingly says of Sylvester McCoy’s character Radagast that “mushrooms have addled his brain”

He also has a pet hedgehog named Sebastian.

Last edited by TheLostPilgrim; 12-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Apparently, in the Hobbit film, Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair and his beard and hair are covered in bird droppings.

''He is wearing a funnily-shaped hat with dominant brown and black hues, underneath which is revealed a bird’s nest with hatchlings making a mess all in his hair and beard! McCoy brings a disarming, childlike quality to the character. . . ''

"Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown credits costume and make-up with helping him develop his character. His dormouse-like wizard (with animals running in and out of his beard) has a bird’s nest on his head. He said: ‘The birds don’t like to mess their nest so they stick their bottoms out and poo down my face.’

Also, in a drastic change from the source material, Radagast is the first wizard to visit Dol Guldur and discover that an evil power has established itself there. Later, Saruman makes slighting references to Radagast during a meeting with Gandalf and Galadriel. He accuses the Brown Wizard of indulging in mushrooms and dismisses the notion that the evil power Radagast has discovered could be Sauron.

"at one point, the wizard Saruman scathingly says of Sylvester McCoy’s character Radagast that “mushrooms have addled his brain”

He also has a pet hedgehog named Sebastian.
Hmmm...sounds suspiciously derivative of Merlyn in T.H. White's classic The Once and Future King. Merlin had the requisite bird droppings down his robes and a nest of mice in his hair, and a hedgehog plays prominently in the book and the follow-up, The Book of Merlyn, wherein the informal and malaprop-ridden hedgehog refers to King Arthur as "Maggie's Tea" (Your Majesty), or just "Tiggie".

So, it's already been done, and better.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
As far as the accusation of Saruman that Radagast is strung out on mushrooms, supposedly the further artistic license taken by Jackson is Radagast sustains himself on mushrooms and trippy berries. Hence, as a way to explain his loony behavior.

I was semi-looking forward to Saruman's disdain for Radagast. I mean if Radagast is going to be in the film, might as well include Saruman's total lack of respect for him too, that would be nice. But if it's just going to be more recycling of Saruman's verbal backhand to Gandalf "Your love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind." Fan-tastic.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
I am glad they showed Radagast as the cowardly simpleton he was.
His apathy during the War of the Ring has always been absolutely indefensible to me so it was nice to see both Gandalf talking down to him like a child and Saruman ranting about the guy and his poor personal hygiene.

One of Tolkien's most intriguing characters and perhaps one I hate the most. A villain is expected to do evil things, a hero is expected to act with virtue, but someone so completely indifferent is just infuriating to me.
It suggests cowardice, something untrustworthy and rotten.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Elf_NFB
Newly Deceased

Elf_NFB has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg the Ripper View Post
His apathy during the War of the Ring has always been absolutely indefensible to me so it was nice to see both Gandalf talking down to him like a child and Saruman ranting about the guy and his poor personal hygiene.

One of Tolkien's most intriguing characters and perhaps one I hate the most. A villain is expected to do evil things, a hero is expected to act with virtue, but someone so completely indifferent is just infuriating to me.
Don't be mean. Never be mean. Just because we don't KNOW what Radagast was doing doesn't mean he was being a coward. It just means that Tolkien didn't tell us. In the books, he carried a message to Gandalf and set his animal friends to help. Perhaps he was organizing an animal revolt in Mirkwood? Perhaps he was making a nice cup of tea and feeding the rabbits? We don't know. Any speculation tells more about the speculator than the subject. I prefer to think he was doing his part to help save the small animal populace returning to Mirkwood and by his efforts, the Greenwood made a more rapid return to prominence than otherwise would have been possible.
Elf_NFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Honestly thought Radagast was great I saw no humor in the bird's nest on his head, what Isaw instead was a wizard so devoted to protecting the animals he scooped up the nest and put it on his head. the rabbit sled sounded silly but was used to good effect in my opinion. We already had two tall standing competent wizards glad to see radagast bend the archetype somewhat.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I was disappointed in Radagast's portrayal as a whole. McCoy was a potentially worthy choice, and the more serious parts of the role were done well. I'm also okay with him being a little silly or spaced out.

Unfortunately, the extent of his stuttering and hyperactivity overshadowed that - especially with how heavy they are when he first appears. That first impression will stick with those just being introduced to him, and I think that's a pity.

He could've been a bit more absent minded than the condescending Saruman or the warm, personable Gandalf, but a bumbling clown smeared with bird droppings was not at all what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg the Ripper View Post

I don't think any of it is his fault, though. Radagast was miscast. I don't mean in the movie, but for his Istar role in the actual war as an emissary to Middle-earth. That Saruman had disdain for Radagast does not surprise me in the least as Saruman often comes across as dismissive. When someone is in the least bit a hindrance or threat to him or his rank, he gets cranky.

At the council when the Istari were chosen, there were initially just three planned, and only two volunteered: Saruman and Alatar. Olorin was summoned by Manwe as third, Alatar brought Pallando as a friend, and importantly, "[Saruman] took [Radagast] because Yavanna begged him." Aiwendil [Radagast] was not banging down the door to go himself.

His 'boss' roped him into it, and after we see how it plays out, it seems entirely probable that it actually went as intended. As the council had originally "resolved to send out three emissaries," Yavanna could have seen no harm in including a fourth of her own, set out to look for creatures that the other three would not have the time or purpose.

Quote:
There is no hint of an explanation of why Yavanna's evident desire that the Istari should include in their number one with a particular love of the things of her making could only be achieved by imposing Radagast's company on Saruman; while the suggestion in the essay on the Istari that in becoming enamoured of the wild creatures of Middle-earth Radagast neglected the purpose for which he was sent if perhaps not perfectly in accord with the idea of his being specially chosen by Yavanna. (Unfinished Tales)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
And why does a wizard always have to look in a spiffy robe?

Obviously not every one will or should. Each has their own personality & lives to lead.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Hmmm...sounds suspiciously derivative of Merlyn in T.H. White's classic The Once and Future King. Merlin had the requisite bird droppings down his robes and a nest of mice in his hair, and a hedgehog plays prominently in the book and the follow-up, The Book of Merlyn, wherein the informal and malaprop-ridden hedgehog refers to King Arthur as "Maggie's Tea" (Your Majesty), or just "Tiggie".

So, it's already been done, and better.
Did White's Merlyn have a nest of mice in his hair? I'm not arguing but I don't recall. I know he kept dead mice and worms under his skull-cap, and at one point the Wart thinks Merlyn's hair (Merlyn still has his hat on at this point) at least shows signs that seem to indicate a large bird had been nesting in it.

At least White's Merlyn kept pyjamas for wiping off the bird droppings from his head, which got there when the wizard took off his hat and his owl might then perch upon his head.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I may have liked PJ's Radagast in the Narnia films, but he needs to be kicked out of Middle-earth. Now. Rabbits pulling a sledge and outrunning Wargs? I've never met Tolkien, but I'm pretty sure he'd weep his heart out if he saw that part, if not lose consciousness.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

At another site the rabbit sled was characterized as hailing from Northern sources, and others seemed to be very thankful for the information, giving the impression [to me] that they thought the idea was thus better defended because it hailed from sources Tolkien had read* or was aware of, and could be characterized as Northern. And I only say 'others' because, even if so, I would find this rather broad in any case.

Or from another perspective: the idea was argued to not be wholly original. But if it was, I'm guessing it would be defended with: '... at least it's imaginative and wholly original!'

*Bifur's brow bursting brain befuddler was likewise compared to a piece of hone once lodged in Donner's head.

Last edited by Galin; 01-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The aghast at the bird droppings is rather laughable for me.

Remember this is pre-Medieval times. Personal hygiene, etc, was best for the aristocracy & royalty. Everyone else washed maybe once a week in a creek, or tub if they could.

Where's the complaint about unkempt hair and tattered clothes? We're lucky these things aren't more severe & only portrayed for Evil characters as ignoring/having difficulty with appearance/health. Naturally they're more widespread. Only after battle are the 'good guys' shown to have wounds or blood stains, apart from Aragorn when 'Strider'.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm not sure anyone in any times kept birds under their hats. And even White's Merlyn kept pyjamas to wipe his head off, when his Owl might land on his head and cause a mess.

And from the pictures I have seen, this is a notable amout of droppings on a part of the body I would think an Istar of Rhosgobel might want to attend to.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I'm not sure anyone in any times kept birds under their hats. And even White's Merlyn kept pyjamas to wipe his head off, when his Owl might land on his head and cause a mess.

And from the pictures I have seen, this is a notable amout of droppings on a part of the body I would think an Istar of Rhosgobel might want to attend to.
This makes me think, in turn, about Bob Marley and "40 species of insects in his hair". Another city legend characterising a peculiar person with a great talent.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"And why does a wizard always have to look in a spiffy robe?

Obviously not every one will or should. Each has their own personality & lives to lead."

In case you hadn't noticed, Gandalf's robes are pretty shabby around the edges. But what he does have- what *any* of Tolkien's Istari had, regardless of "personality," was dignity- something Elmer Fuddagast has none of whatsoever.