The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #41
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I was going to say that about the length. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I do hope, though, that the put in th escene where Aragorn finds the young seed of the White Tree of Gondor and the part when Arwen gives her necklace to Frodo. I love those parts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Was I the only one who noticed that at Aragorn's coronation the white tree was in bloom again? And the pendant was given to Arwen's son in her vision, but was shattered in Aragorn's vision. Either way, I don't think it will go to Frodo.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #42
Rouroni
Newly Deceased

Rouroni has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

On top of everything else mentioned earlier, I would like very much to see a blooper reel. <BR>I hope, for the love of all that is good, that it doesn't show up in a trilogy box set. <BR>I do not have the money for that, but I would go broke buying it anyway.
"Cold be hand and heart and bone/Cold be sleep under stone/never more to wake on stony bed/Never, until the Sun fails and the Moon is dead./In the black wind the stars shall die/And still on gold here let them lie/Until the Dark Lord lifts his hand/Over dead sea and withered land."-Fog on the Barrow-Downs
Rouroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #43
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, something I would love to see is Jackson's and Walsh's 70-odd page treatment that they originally pitched to Miramax. I think it would be great to see how the films were invisioned at the very beginning and how much their ideas evolved over time.<P>H.C.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #44
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

List of things I would like to see:<P>1. Houses of Healing *duh*<P>2. Mouth of Sauron *double duh*<P>3. Voice of Saruman <P>4. Maybe some sort of farewell to Treebeard from Merry and Pippin... I mean they spent practically all of their screentime in the last film sitting on him. <P>5. Aragorn giving Pippin his brooch back<P>6. Merry swearing allegiance to Theoden<P>7. Some mention of the Pukel-men<P>8. Closure on Bill the Pony! It'd be nice to find out that Bill did get home all right, though I doubt it'll make the DVD.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #45
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The scenes that I want to see the most are:<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Houses of Healing (well, that's a no-brainer!)<BR><LI> Merry swearing allegiance to Rohan and Theoden (should be as tear-jerking as Pippin swearing allegiance to Gondor)<BR><LI> Aragorn giving Pippin his brooch back.<BR><LI> Mouth of Sauron (another no-brainer)<BR><LI> The drinking contest at Meduseld with Legolas and Gimli<BR></UL>
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #46
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

1) The Mouth of Sauron<BR>2) The encounter with Gandalf and the Witch King at the Gate of Minis Tirith<BR>3) Merry swearing allegiance to Theoden<BR>4) The Watchers at the Gate when Sam goes in<BR>5) The Houses of Healing<P>Those are all I can think of right now.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:31 AM   #47
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I swear I saw the Pukel-men!!!! Did anyone else see them???
Old 01-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #48
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Where were the Pukel-men? I don't remember seeing any. The only men that I saw who remotely resembled what I had imagined the Pukel-men looked like, were the Corsairs of Umbar, during that shot where you see the Black Fleet sailing up towards the Anduin.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #49
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

I saw the Púkel-men! When Elrond is going up that lovely switchback road at Dunharrow, you can see them at the turns. It made me giggle. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I do hope, though, that the put in th escene where Aragorn finds the young seed of the White Tree of Gondor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Like has been said, at his coronation, we see that the White Tree has just magically come back to life. COP OUT!!! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think I saw a picture in the ROTK visual companion where there was gandalf on Shadowfax with Pippin behind and they seemed to be facing the Nazgul King. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In <I>Weapons and Warfare</I>, the section about the Witch-king's mace says he uses that to break Gandalf's staff, so I'm guessing that will be an EE scene.<P>I want to see the Mouth of Sauron (of course!), the Crossroads, Sam and Frodo getting caught up in the marching orcs, Éomer finding Éowyn, Théoden's funeral, the Houses of Healing, and just about everything else that's been mentioned already. And, though I know it won't be there, the Scouring of the Shire. I'm having a hard time forgiving PJ for leaving that out. <P>The rumor I've heard says there will be an über-extended, full-trilogy, fourteen-hour, eight-disk DVD set next year. *salivates*
Old 01-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #50
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Yes, I saw the Pukal-men. <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002628" TARGET=_blank>Did you see Pukal-Men?</A><p>[ 5:01 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Knight of Gondor ]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:34 AM   #51
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Ressurected (topical phrase eh?) this thread, as I've been reading the Weapons and Warfare book and it seems to give a few clues as to what will be in the EE.

1/ It mentions the WK breaking Gandalf's staff. I can't remember but do we see Gandalf's staff after Pippin finds him and tells him about Faramir as this is where the confrontation will probably be.

2/ Aragorn looks into the Palantir in MINAS TIRITH after the battle of pellenor fields and confronts Sauron.

3/ This in turn causes Orcs to catch up with Frodo and Sam, but as they are in Orc costume they get away with it (as we all know)

4/ Mouth of Sauron is taught a lesson by Aragorn at the black gates

5/ Denethor's Palantir is also mentioned in the book as the thing that started to send him mad, so we may see this.

6/ It mentions that Merry stabs the WK twice??????

7/ It mentions Houses of Healing - Eoywn being waylaid by the effects of killing the witch king (but nothing on merry so maybe he's left out of house of healing as he was at the black gate)

8/ it mentions the love of faramir and eoywn, and faramir becoming the prince of ithilien, and eoywn his wife.

9/ funnily enough it gives 3 possible endings (ie rumours) for Saruman. 1 is that he's killed by Wormtounge at isengard, one is that his end comes in the shire (!!!!!!), and one that he ventured into the East.

-----------

Thing I picked up from TV shows

7/ Hopefully we will see the Crossroads as I saw this being filmed on a documentary.

8/ I saw a great shot of Sam sadly throwing away his saucepans in a documentary. hopefully this will be in the EE.

Things I picked up from the editing

8/ The Captains of the West are on horse back at the end of one scene at the black gate and then on foot when we go back. Will something happen in between?

9/ You can see the Watchers when Sam goes into the Tower. Will we see anything of his struggle?

10/ If we have a MoS, then what about the Mithril shirt? I don't remember Frodo having it on his way to Mount Doom, so hopefully this will stay as in the book.

11/ The ending, to me, seemed RUSHED. Will we have anything else in the Shire?

12/ what about goodbyes from the fellowship. or will this be too much?

13/ an epilouge on what happened to the characters at the end of the film. PB and FW have mentioned on the ain't it cool website that this could well be in the EE.

Roll on November...............
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #52
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Quote:
The rumor I've heard says there will be an über-extended, full-trilogy, fourteen-hour, eight-disk DVD set next year. *salivates*

*salivates too* I'm going to be the first person in line to buy that!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #53
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
It would be funny if they showed Elijah's auditioning tape. I really want to see what he thought a hobbit should look like before the whole movie image of a hobbit came along.

I am also curious about the interviews. Can't wait.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #54
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
*drools at the prospect of everything mentioned above*

I canny wait until the Extended Edition!!!!

I really want to see the confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #55
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
i wanna see...
...everything which was previously mentioned...

damn... cant wait...

anyone know if they have any plans for a 3-in-1 boxed set?
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #56
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey, Bladethatwasbroken, could you watch the language? Gondorians and free peoples of Middle-Earth in general speak in tongues fair for all to hear.

Has anyone heard rumors about a song by Arwen in the RotK:EE??
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 03-06-2004, 03:08 AM   #57
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Well good news... according to www.theonering.net, New Line is going to be making an announcement about the release schedule of the ROTK DVD (or DVD's, I do not yet know if they are going to be talking about the extended edition, but it is a most likely) this Monday, March 8.

All I have heard is that they are going to be coming out earlier because they are done, and they have only been working on the EE, etc... etc...

We may have the theatrical out as early as May, and then my Dad said something about when he went to the record store today, them saying something about the theatrical coming out in a month.

They are coming... ...soon!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:55 AM   #58
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight of Gondor
Hey, Bladethatwasbroken, could you watch the language? Gondorians and free peoples of Middle-Earth in general speak in tongues fair for all to hear.

RotK:EE??
But we're not Gondorians and free peoples of Middle-Earth in general... last time I checked, you're a Ghos Prince of Cardolan and I'm an Animated Skeleton

Quote:
We may have the theatrical out as early as May, and then my Dad said something about when he went to the record store today, them saying something about the theatrical coming out in a month.
May? Just in time for summer and marathons for hopeless addicts!
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #59
Hobbity_goose88

Heylo!! from what ive heard.. i think the dvd is out around 25th May and the EE is out around middle of september .. not totally sure if its right but its kewl tht its coming out early!!! YAY!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #60
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There will be more Arwen at Rivendell, I know...

CoE has a few pictures of EE content, including Aragorn laying his hands on Faramir in the HoH, cool stuff!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #61
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Glad to see this support group still has, uh...support!

Has anyone heard about Arwen singing a song in RotK: EE??
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #62
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, the theatrical edition of ROTK is out on 25 May, here's what a certain well known shopping site said is on it in terms of 'extras':

Special Features

A Journey Completed: A Director's Vision

A Filmmaker's Journey: Making "The Return of the King"

The National Geographic special feature

Multiple Lordoftherings.net featurettes:
Aragorn's Destiny feature
Minas Tirith feature
Battle of Pelennor Fields feature
Samwise the Brave feature
Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan feature
Digital Horses feature

Original theatrical trailers and TV spots

Lord of the Rings Trilogy super trailer

Closer look at Electronic Arts video games

DVD-ROM: Lord of the Rings weblink
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #63
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Well, May 25. seems to be the fixed date for RotK-theatrical. But some doubt still remains concerning RotK-EE, it seems. Some says September, others 'around Christmas'. Maybe the truth is that even PJ & New Line doesn't know, if it isn't finished yet. And PJ is probably busy with "King Kong" already.

But if the EE doesn't turn up untill Christmas time, at least the 'short version' can comfort us while we wait! It's great it's coming in May .
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #64
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The song! The song! Does anyone know about this supposed Arwen song?
Old 03-11-2004, 03:42 AM   #65
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Just a note on A Filmmaker's Journey: Making "The Return of the King". I taped it off of ITV a month or so ago. It is absolutely brilliant, and I use it to keep my 5 year old son happy until May 25th, as there are a lot of shots from the movie in it, including quite a lot of 'give aways' if you haven't already seen the movie.

Not sure if the National Geographic one has already been shown as well. I found this one a bit weak really (if it's the one I'm thinking about), as they try to compare certain parts of the book with real historical characters (I suppose it's the only way they can make this sort of programme for a factual TV channel)

I've not been that impressed with the 'extras' in the theatrical release dvds of any of the films, bu of course the EE extras make up for this.

Bets on the statue we'll get with the EE this year? I'm going for King Elessar.....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #66
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Oh my God, I'm going to cry! (Tears of joy that is)
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 PM   #67
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Regretfully I can't remember where I heard it, but Arwen's song will be in the EE.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #68
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

She will? *starts crying* No!!! She's gonna ruin the movie!!!

So, do we know if the Legolas/Gimli drinking game is gonna be in the EV for sure? I just barely saw it, and it looks pretty kewl.

Hey! I brought soda and chips! Dig in everyone!!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 03-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #69
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hi, I love chips thanks!

I heard something about those release dates that mollecon mentioned. I think they are
correct.
I really hope to see development of the relationship between Eowyn and Faramir, heck, any evidence of a connection would be nice! That’s what I most hope to see. I also want to see the Mouth of Sauron.

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know where I can find clips of ROTK, particularly the bit where Frodo leaves for the undying lands? If so please pm me. I’ll be in your debt forever!
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #70
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmm, a list, eh? How about:

1. Saruman/Grima (I'll never accept any excuse of PJ's on this one, & no matter how good the EE version of this is, I doubt it will make up for Jackson's editing shenanagins (sp? close enough...)

2. House of Healing (hopefully they'll have enough time alotted to it to do it justice...

3. The Mouth of Sauron (he better be freaky!)

4. The Witch-King vs. Gandalf confrontation (It should be cool, especially if the WK brakes Gandalf's staff with his mace, like I've heard he does)

5. Legolas & Gimli drinking contest (I could imagine an elf getting tipsy after just a few ales. Wine, no doubt, is a different matter for elves, but ales seem strong enough to knock the 'prissy creatures' of their feet )

6. Easterlings (not that I really care that much, but I would like to see the race that plays a dramatic part in TTT [of course I mean them nearly catching Frodo & Sam] at leats show up in the battles in RotK )

Quote:
I would like very much to see a blooper reel
Me too! That would be really awesome...not sure if it's been mentioned before or not, but I think PJ & co. gave all of the cast members a blooper real of their own, with their best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) screw-ups.

Quote:
Hey! I brought soda and chips! Dig in everyone!!
Oh please say there's Pepsi Blue! Oh please, Oh please, Oh please, Oh please!!! <------a chat room thing
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #71
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
I think PJ & co. gave all of the cast members a blooper real of their own, with their best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) screw-ups.
YES!!! That would be so incredible! can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait...

And, yes, there is Pepsi Blue. I didn't know what everyone wanted, so I brought everything! And today I brought popcorn too.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 03-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #72
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe the sun shines

Quote:
And, yes, there is Pepsi Blue. I didn't know what everyone wanted, so I brought everything!
Yay! What a good idea .

One more question (really just an excuse to ask a question, so it's not just a 'nonsense' post ):

How much have the 1st two box sets been? Or have they differed in price...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #73
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

The EE's have been about $70, at least for the super-duper version. My Dad has bought them both for me. *sniff* He's such a great guy.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:47 PM   #74
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I've gotten the EVs (Collector's Ultra-Spiffy Editions) for something like $60 (US) each. It may depend on where you live as well; prices vary from place to place.

I'm going on a donut run. What do you guys want?

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #75
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Here's something that was sent to my Mom. I have no idea what it says since I can't read Dutch or Norwegian, or whatever that is. I looked through the thread for a similiar link, so forgive me if it's a repeat...

RotK EE

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #76
Nimiriel
Animated Skeleton

Nimiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nimiriel
Silmaril

Hi guys!

Well, I must say (sorry if I dissappoint anyone) that I very much doubt that they'll have the 'battle' in the shire in the EE. Since all the hints of such a thing happening that should've come in the other movies didn't, I'm pretty sure we'll have to settle with a more calm and quiet return to the shire.
I also (like someone else here, sorry I can't remember who) doubt that Arwen will give her necklace to Frodo, as she has already given it (as a symbol of her love) to Aragorn.

Then I've only got one, no two things to ad to the list of things-we-wish-to-see-on-the-EE-DVD:
1) Legolas' longing for the west (SONG! SONG! SONG!)
2) Legolas and Gimli's promises to each other to go see Fangorn and The Glittering Caves again

(Of course my list includes everything else mentioned here... that drinking game sounds VERY interesting!)

Writing original fantasy? Meet the Wordweavers at Fww
Nimiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 PM   #77
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I never held hope that the EE might have the scouring of the Shire. I knew that was pretty much out.

As far as pricing goes, I believe the regular (wimpy!) DVDs of the movie cost about 15 bucks, if you get them at Wal-Mart. (You should consider buying them at a Blockbuster, though, and ask for their promotional stuff!) The EE's plain are about $30. The big, souped up ones are about $70, but we price-matched ours pretty low. Wait a while, though, and you can usually buy those very discounted, like at Amazon.com!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #78
skadork
Pile O'Bones

skadork has just left Hobbiton.
here's my thought, such as it is:
arwen somehow (don't ask me how or why) is in on the drinking game & is singign all the drinking songs!

longlive the amish!
skadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:22 PM   #79
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Question

I CANT HANDLE THE ANTICIPATION!!!!

Um yeah. Does anyone think there will be more Eowyn and Faramir? This hasnt been mentioned, and they're everyone's favorite couple...
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:54 PM   #80
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I certainly want to see all, or ANY of the scenes you all have mentioned! But the main reason this wait is annoying, is because I want to OWN RoTK! Of course, I refuse to purchase the annoying theatrical version. I want my set complete! I want to watch it again..and again...and again.....