The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Eowyn and Wormtongue

What did everyone think of Eowyn's scene with Wormtongue? I think it illustrated they're relationship pretty well. But I've only seen it once so far so what do the more experienced veiwers think?
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought it worked well. There is definately something there in the books. I liked when Grima tries his words of poison on Eowyn that seem to be working for a bit until she storms out.<P>Something I've always wondered though, who would ever hire an advisor by the name of Wormtongue? Not something that would look good on a resume in my opinion. <P>H.C.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I thought the scene worked very well. It showed the deplorable nature of Grima, and Eowyn was clearly disgusted to be in the same room as him. This brings up another point however, if it plain for all to see that Wormtongue is corrupting the mind of Theoden, why didn't Wormtongue have an "accident" to end his relationship with Theoden?
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that Wormtongue used his wily ways on many members of the court for personal safety issues or otherwise, not just Theoden. And indeed, if he could have such an impact on Eowyn other lesser minds would be in peril.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Well.....<P> Are we sure our dear Grima was always that way? What am I trying to say? Gandalf said " Once it [Grima] was a man and did you service in its fashion." Now, that rings of a day when there was no treachery in this one. I have the feeling that Theoden had Grima had known each other for quite a while. I mean, I would have to know someone really well to trust them with my sword. I'm not getting anywhere am I? What I'm trying to say is, Grima may have once been a somewhat honest, slightly upright man. Actually, I think he had the problem many (including me) have, saying no. No to temptation. And as for Eowyn, I sum it up this way, he loved her not too wisely but too well. When you want something so bad you can almost tase it and will di anything to get it. Anything.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 01-30-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you're close to the money there Frodo. It seems a recuring theme that the forces of Sauron get to an individual through their desires and Wormtongue's desire for Eowyn might have been Saruman's ticket. I agree entirely that he wasn't a scum bag all his life and that his infatuation with Eowyn had roots that were more pure. This infatuation turned into his fatal flaw.<P>Speaking of Wormtongue, I really liked the tear they had going down his cheek when he saw the armies of Isengard. Although he certainly was working to see Saruman in command of Rohan with himself as his right (or is that left) hand man with Eowyn at his side. I don't think he really had any glimps of Saruman's "vision" though until that moment.<P>I also think this is to set up Wormtongue's rage and Saruman's fate in RoTK.<P>H.C.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

That was one of the best lines in the movie when Grima was talking to Eowyn in Theodred's bedroom. Mm-mmm. spooky! And when Eowyn said "Your words are poison!" And ran out, I definitely shivered. I thought I sensed something of the sort in the book, but wasn't exactly sure. I'm v glad they put that detail in the movie. V glad!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:39 PM   #8
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for all the replies. <BR>This the first time I've stated a thread so it was great to get replies so quickly.<P>One of the best bits of the scene I thought was when Wormtongue says "who knows what you said in the watches of the night, when all your world seemed to be shrinking" witch is straight from the books (except I think Gandalf says it). I was just so glad they kept Eowyn so close to the books.<P>And HCIsland his name was Grima no-one called him Wormtongue in the prescence of th King. Just everywhere else. But you're right it wouldn't look good on a resume.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:52 AM   #9
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Not too wisely, but to well.<P>Why thank you HC! *blushes* (I like your <BR>avatar BTW) Yes, the tear, part of the reason I saw TTT the second time was for that one jewel. <P> Also, Silmarien, (ha! I just realised where you name comes from, I'm rather slow sometimes) you can observe that Theoden was the only one NOT going around using the infamous name Wormtongue. And you are right, no one used that term in the presence of the king. Gandalf was probably the first one to use that name in front of the king.<BR>But then he's Gandalf, he's allowed <p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 01-31-2003, 09:48 AM   #10
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hama used the name Wormtounge in the movie but I believe in the books very few besides Gandalf (if any) used that name for Grima in public. Gandalf also called him lots of other things . I wish they could have shown a bit more of Gandalf's temper in the movie, the added scene in the Extended FOTR where he threatens to bang Pippin's head against the door is a nice touch.