The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Shield That's ONE newspaper reviewer that didn't see TTT...

In today's Metro's Film section, there was a 3-line review of TTT.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Less fighting allows for more character development in the second installment of this epic trilogy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Or you could just <I>watch</I> the film with its hour or so of battle scenes, Mr. Newspaper reporter... <BR>I just don't see how FotR could even appear to have more fighting in it...
Old 01-30-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

'Metro' is the paper regulary found for free in Trains, Trams and Buses right? Hmmm....I doubt whether their film reviews are very lenghty. The only film reviewer in hte papers I like is Johnathon Ross. My, god he IS a comedy GENIUS. (They think it's all over, J. Ross show) He also loves LOTR to boot, though it is funny to hear him speak Elvish, as he once did.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that review should be the other way around, "More fighting ment less charater development" or something like that.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
Purple Monkey
Animated Skeleton

Purple Monkey has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Kudos to you, Inderjit. J. Ross is the only movie reviewer I would even begin to listen to. He's also one of the more funnier comedians nowadays. I am partial, however, to Lee Evans, Jack Dee and Ed Byrne. Patrice O'Neal rocks, too.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lee Evans is funny...thogu he can get a bit hyper. Jack Dee is funny too...though his monotomous voice can drive me to sleep. <P>Also, the Guardian wasn't very to TTT. Anyone read their review?

Old 01-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though there was a ton more fighting, I really felt that there was a great amount of character development, especially on the part of Legolas and Aragorn. So he got half of it right. But it does seem as though the critic didn't watch the movie; perhaps he/she only heard an opinion of someone and based it on that.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:38 PM   #7
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I really felt that there was a great amount of character development, especially on the part of Legolas and Aragorn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What about Gimli?! He had more of a character development then Legolas in my opinion!
Old 01-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Well, the thing about "more character developement" doesn't surprise me. I can see how some people would think that.<P>For someone who hasn't read the books it could seem like there is more character developement because most of the characters don't have to be established. Therefore it could seem like in TTT the characters are more developed because from the first time they appear on screen you already know who they are.<P>I'll use Legolas as an example (because he was poorly introduced in the first movie). This time around the reviewer didn't have to spend time wondering who Legolas was and where he came from or why he was there. In FotR he rides in and joins the Quest, apparently just for kicks. Anyone who hasn't read the books may well wonder what is going on with him. You're told nothing about him.<P>On the other hand, in TTT, from the very start we know him as a member of the Fellowship. Therefore he seems more developed. The same goes with other characters already established in FotR. There aren't as many new characters in TTT, and maybe the reviewer wasn't even thinking about those.<P>As for less battles, I sincerely fail to see what could possibly motivate that statement... <I>*shrugs*</I> IMO any further character developement is just a result of the plot thickening.<P>Edit: On the other hand, Merry and Pippin do undergo considerable character developement.<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-31-2003, 03:03 AM   #9
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gimli's charcter transformation was to the love-child of Barney Gumble and Frank Spencer.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you're interested, there was a great column by Dave Barry on The Two Towers in his section of the Miami Herald. <BR>Check out <A HREF="http://www.miamiherald.com/" TARGET=_blank>The Miami Herald</A> and click on Dave Barry to see his articles.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote