The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #641
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wow

What a shame the game didn't last that long to use them all. Or at least, more of them. The more I look at what you have had prepared in the game, the more I see how brilliantly was the game constructed. From the story through the rules to the hidden roles and these riddles - it's obvious all of it couldn't even have been used in the game. As a long-time gamemaster and planner I know what it is to work up something this big, yet knowing there'll still be just one tenth of it explored by the players in the end... but even though you know it, it by no way disencourages your work on it... Wonderful!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #642
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Italics is stuck for some reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Woman
Oh, and it's so funny that Noggie keeps joking that "if there were lovers in this game, they'd be Rikae and Mac".

And I was just telling Mac that no mod would ever make us lovers! We've been suspected of it in at least half the games we've played...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless Guy
I find this to be appropriately amusing.

Wait, if one of the five is you, then I will be another dead body (6). And I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a second lover couple (7!!).

This be good!

What ever happened to too much action making bad movies...hmmm?

Volo...dear God...no human being could solve those riddles! You scare me!

I must say, your narrations were astounding. You put so much into this game...too bad most of it went over some of our heads (read: my head)...

Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #643
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well done villagers! It was a shame the vampires were so overpowered by the end, their final narration is great!

I must say reading along truly made me laugh. First Gil's declaration that we should pay him for participating so much (and thank you for doing so Gil!), then SPM wholeheartedly going after Rikae only to find that she was the Seer, and then all the innocents being absoutely certain that it was Rikae that had been attacked and protected that third night.

Ah good times, eh?

Quote:
Volo...dear God...no human being could solve those riddles! You scare me!
And those are the slightly easier versions! You should have seen the first ones he came up with.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #644
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
And those are the slightly easier versions! You should have seen the first ones he came up with.
What? I can't imagine anything harder!

You possibly had to be around to calm him a little bit
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #645
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Good grief! those riddles are entirely beyond me, with the possible exception of Menel's (and surely they are somewhat discriminatory towards non-LJ subscribers ).

Quote:
... then SPM wholeheartedly going after Rikae only to find that she was the Seer ...
Hehe. I have lost count of the number of times that I have unintentionally contributed to the Seer being either lynched or forced to reveal. It's becoming something of an albatross about my neck (although it was somewhat foruitous in Mac's game ...).

But, with that Eomer/Celuein thing, I really failed to see how anyone could see Rikae as anything but a baddie.

On a more serious note, I am slightly concerned at how regular it is becoming for people to sign up and then have no time to play. Once is understandable, twice is unfortunate, but three times or more is surely avoidable ...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #646
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Legate, you are right there. I did have two roles that I couldn't fit into the game, I don't think they are too new, but I haven't seen them in any WW before:

Shaman:

May revive one player during the game.
(The player might not count in the total score/The player might not be allowed to vote/Something)

Soulmates:

May PM at any time, even if either one of them dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
I must say, your narrations were astounding. You put so much into this game...too bad most of it went over some of our heads (read: my head)...
Hey, don't go to far with the Italics! And if the text went over your head, then it failed to be good, but I thank you indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esspiem
Good grief! those riddles are entirely beyond me, with the possible exception of Menel's (and surely they are somewhat discriminatory towards non-LJ subscribers).
It does help you when you are the Lynch Seer yourself and have the vote number and the thread to help you. In most cases it's a choice of two players and then the riddle isn't too hard if you know where to search. I told in the other thread that the links may hold answers to the riddles. The only person who has a twice linked riddle is Brinniel.

Some great quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I would like to say, that I might accuse Roa of blatant lying about myself lying blatantly about Rikae's blatant lying... and I'm pretty convinced that I'm more to the target here than she is (well, I know it, but anyhow).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Anyway, please, don't be suspicious of Rikae for flirting with me, I'd make me feel guilty.
Don't worry Mac, you do not kill the girl that does the flirting, you kill the person she is flirting with instead of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Mac has a knife again now. He examines it gleefully and then hides it with and evil smirk on his face.

Quote:
I don't trust this Mac person. He speaks of a knife...then says he doesn't have one! I say we search him.
And I bet you want to be the one who does, don't you?

Quote:
Can't I at least frisk him?
Knew it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
For me too since I have pretty much no idea who I think is a vampire. Of the silent ones I'd prefer to lynch Xyzzy, since he might be active enough to avoid the modfire, but passive enough to leave no tracks of any kind and because the few things he has said aren't very innocentish...
Grudges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Isn't the Shade able to protect during Nights, too? What if the Ranger protects Rikae next Night and the Shade the following Night? This would win us one dream more.
Funny that a newbie ( ) found the loophole of the game. The Shade role should certainly be changed. And I got great advice on this one, thanks Mac!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Three days absence -> death.
Glirdan has this Day (and Night) time to come alive.
I think posting this here is quite legal as it concerns the rules of this game.
I just find that little add-on quite interesting. So why has he also the Night to appear as no one innocent-ordo can't do anything at Night and so his time to call in ends as this Day ends?

And clearly Glirdan is none of our gifteds or the shade as they have played. So that leaves only the possibility that he's a vamp...?

Of course I may read too much into Volo's adding the Night there but why then it is there?
Too much thinking... Just like me in your game.

I tend to be more confusing when I'm trying not to be, like with the rules of the game...

Quote:
See y'all either toMorrow or, if not, in the afterthread ...
Quote:
And if Aganzir is a wolf then it just might be conceivable that Lommy is one as well. She's playing in her cool way as ever ducking almost all suspicions. And I wouldn't put it past Volo to handpick his two friends as the vampires just for the fun of it...
This talks only against you. I especially like "I wouln't put it past Volo"-part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Sheesh, now that you say it and I think of it I guess I've been kind of shielding Aganzir - but because she genuinely seems innocent to me and because she is a RL friend fo mine and this is her first game...
This reminds me of my own first game...
Quote:
Well, I have to say that I was utterly furious when I first reviewed events at the end of yesterDay and ready to call you all ninnyhammers on the afterthread. But now I am rather surprised and delighted.

I must now be down to seven lives ... although I am somewhat honoured to become (as far as I know) the only player to have twice received the most votes on the game thread and yet still lived.
Indeed!

Quote:
Feeling good at the moment (it can change but at the moment all looks bright the first time...)!
You just can't believe how happy I was at that moment with Mac putting complete confusion at that time... I must admit that I haven't had the time to figure out how you understood any of the stuff you wrote in the game about voting and so on, the game was certainly too confusing to me.

Quote:
No. The three vampires were watching the attack from the tower and responded to it by noting that we were protected.
Too much thinking, I even wrote that the narrations are for pure entertainment. I and Kath contradicted the game many times in the narrations, the only part that had any relevence was the part after "The living:".

Narration will come any day.

Umm...

...any year.

EDIT: Aargh, why is there a smiley limit. :/
Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #647
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I and Kath contradicted the game many times in the narrations.
For which I apologise. I got a little carried away with my narrating and didn't refer back to what Volo had written before except for the names of the vampires and their little quarrel. But hey, it made for some interesting interpretations!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #648
Volo

Thumbs up

Quote:
For which I apologise. I got a little carried away with my narrating and didn't refer back to what Volo had written before except for the names of the vampires and their little quarrel. But hey, it made for some interesting interpretations!
No, they work very well! The biggest difference in them was that in your narration there were no spelling mistakes in every second word and the words were much more versatile. I don't think you contradicted any of the stuff I wrote earlier and I very much liked the way you told about Eomer being protected from Eomer's own eyes.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #649
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

You did both well, the narrations were very good, even in the stylistic way. Just waiting for the final... (hint hint)
Old 05-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #650
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Hey, don't go to far with the Italics!
Yeah, well, you see, the thing about that was, as I said in the title...italics was stuck!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #651
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh, and I forgot to mention the part of the narration I really liked... actually, I liked it all, the story... but there was one point that made me laugh hard (well, maybe the only one in the whole narration... otherwise it was pretty grave...)

In the Night 2 narration:
Quote:
Firithhyando cursed in the usual calm manner, ”Chort ih vozmi.
!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #652
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Oh, and I forgot to mention the part of the narration I really liked... actually, I liked it all, the story... but there was one point that made me laugh hard (well, maybe the only one in the whole narration... otherwise it was pretty grave...)
A reference to a certain WW game...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #653
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay Spm, let's call it fifty-fifty?

We were both innocents who died the same Night.

We both strongly drove forwards a few ideas good to us all.

We both had suspicions over each other (with flawed reasons).

We both went through the voting records quite arduously to get our clues to help the village (you did more actual work on them but in the end I managed to nail Gil with the help of them).

We both won from beyond the grave.

We over-thinked just a bit too much both of us. Though thinking was the thing that secured our victory in the end.

And sorry about my vote to you on Day3 but I was then trying to play it as effective I could - and I think you would have made the same decision had our roles been the other way around.

I mean that It was clear that Rikae was to be protected on Night4 and thence I as the revealed-Hunter was facing a high probability of death the next Night. So as I saw that the innocent Mac ( ) voted for you and put you to 5-4 lead at the last minute I thought it was safest to confirm your lynch (had Mac been an innocent you would have died without my vote anyhow) and make the vamp-Legate a bit more assured with killing me - as I took Legate as my target that Night...

-----

Oh my Volo, your riddles were just headbangers! I had no idea where my own came from, not to talk of those of the others! I can see sense in many of them as I look at them afterwards, but they do actually require quite a lot of work to unravel... And that is not bad as such but might lessen the chance of someone actually posting them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
At the end, I sort of thought Rikae was lying about being the seer. No real basis for this; the game just got very confusing and I ended up being sceptical about every little thing!
I do agree. I indeed spammed Volo with a bit more lengthier post dealing with my hunter choice one Night where I cried that the situation just didn't make sense and that I was pretty worried that there was something wrong with our then "known" innocents... had it just occured to me that we had a cobbler(lover) in this game...

But yes, this was such fun!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #654
Volo

Thumbs up It is over!

The final narrations are all there on page 15, posts 597-599.

Thank you all once again!

Gil-Galad was the king of the game! Love you too! Don't drop the style (We'll pay you.)!

Mac, thank you so much for accepting the annoying role. I was extremely nervous with it, especially as it's a one time role (unless we want to temper the newbies).

And Lommy for not killing me (yet)!

Sleepy, I was so happy when you decided to join after such a long break. Well, it didn't work this time, but I hope to see you in a game or two during the Summer!

Same to Glirdan! Do join a game during the Summer, I really want to see you out in the land of Werewolf!

Diamond, I was not only suprised that you joined the game, but also thrilled. And I was right! You did an awesome job as the Ranger.

Sixth, this really only your second game? Well played, well played!

Celuien... I was really sorry to see you lynched so early. When you yourself are in the game, you care only about yourself. But now that I wasn't in the danger of being killed, I felt really sad for you who did get killed. See you in another game!

Brinniel, you too. You felt so excited in the discussion thread, I really thought that the Vampires did unfairly when they killed you *coughcough*. I hope this didn't send you away from WW! (I also really liked your character.)

Aganzir, you old Dwarf! Though it cost me an icecream to get you here, it was worth it! Haven't seen many first timers who get killed off by a special killing role for playing too well.

You have the right attitude, Rune! Sure was worth waiting for you to join!

Shasta, wow! Sorry to have put you into such a hard game straight away, but you sure wasn't new to WW. Great RPGing! Do join an another game,

Esspiem the Deathless. When I found out what your first miraculous rebirth in Mac's game was, I laughed really hard! Now here's the man to whom the Innocents should be thankfull!

Menel, wait... "Now stop killing off Menel at the first Days! >: (" I hope to see you in a game during the Summer, where you aren't killed so soon "Hear that!".

Rikae the Seer. Funny how a Seer can be of so much use after being revealed on Day 2 and Dreaming only of Innocents! I'm waiting for your game, remember to put my name in the very top.

Legate the Ever Encouraging. Huh, you too were already a wolf... I really messed up with the roles then. Anyway, well played, I'm sorry your computer malfunctioned... Hmm... I haven't played a single game with you, that has to be changed!

Xyzzy! I'm sorry that I couldn't really fit your character into the game, it was an original one too. Try giving WW some more time and don't forget to join the next game!

That jerk, now where's he! Ah, Durelin! I had lots of fun with your character, pity he couldn't bring that gun of his. Good thinking there!

Roa! That PM you sent really made me smile, I hope you're not too angry that I didn't answer it the way you asked me to... Sorry, I must say that your death was probably the key to victory, as Nogrod would have wasted all his time Hunting you if you were there!

Nogrod, your character was a bit too hard to interpret in this game. Though I'd like to thank you for it. Good thinking, Hunting and bluffing, thanks for the advice on it!

Boromir! Somehow I feel guilty, you didn't seem to get too much space in the narrations... Great Day 1! (Did you really not vote on Day 2, or did I mess things up?) See you in the next games!

Firithhyando, or may I say, Eomer. Very good playing! And I really liked how you signed your messages! Bad luck that

Kitanna caught Eomer so quickly! Wow! I hope you had fun Shading! Well played. Ah, too well played, have to change the role now...

And most of all I thank you, Kath! Without you I really really couldn't have done this! I'd have probably lost hope and quit the whole WW business if you had PMd that you don't want to help me. And of course that wasn't all, oh no it wasn't!

Except for the most important thing, discussing, you also taught me to write some things correctly and understandably, you wrote a great narration with ideas that I promise to use later, when I couldn't manage to do something because of time or other problems, you always answered the PMs with "Ok, I can do that", the chats during the game were not only amusing and funny, but also extremely encouraging!
Anyway, to cut the usual long text short: Great work! Thank you!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #655
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Volo, that...totally rocked.

"If you want him, come and claim him" ....bwahahahaha....you even worked the knife into the story...BRAVO!!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #656
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

My apologies to Brinniel. She was my choice for the first kill. I thought she was behaving in a slightly gifted-ish way. The others told me that she always gets killed early but by that stage I was too bloodthirsty.

So hope you can forgive me.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #657
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Volo you're such a sweetheart. I think I'm blushing.

But hey, you're the one that came up with the idea. You guys should have seen the 10 odd pages he presented me with after asking me to help. He had this planned down to the letter right from the start. So kudos Volo! And I'm greatly looking forward to the sequel.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #658
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The narrations were great, Volo! Wonderful game, everyone, if only for a day.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 AM   #659
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I must say the final narration made me laugh a lot.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #660
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Question: Did I ever hit anyone with my knives? I have the worst aim. XD

Loved the narration, though, Volo, thanks.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #661
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Sorry for being a bit late, but I've been busy lately and haven't really had much time.

So, here's a congradulations to Volo, Kath, and all fellow participants (The one's I've spent butting heads with in a countless amount of games plus all the new ones I've played with for the first time). It was great fun

I liked the new approach Volo, I think it turned out quite well. One thing I would suggest to change is not giving the lynch seer the # of votes the person received. That definitely was the strongest weapon for the village and put our wolves in a really tough situation. Other than that, I liked how this game played out with all the new roles and secretive voting.

(P.S. I'm pretty sure I voted on Day 2, but I might have forgotten. One of the days I was having computer issues, but I forget which one).
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #662
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Brinniel, you too. You felt so excited in the discussion thread, I really thought that the Vampires did unfairly when they killed you *coughcough*. I hope this didn't send you away from WW! (I also really liked your character.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
My apologies to Brinniel. She was my choice for the first kill. I thought she was behaving in a slightly gifted-ish way. The others told me that she always gets killed early but by that stage I was too bloodthirsty.
Oh, you guys...don't worry about it....really.

I won't deny that it's been slightly frustrating, but this was more of my fault than anything. I really hated not being able to participate to my fullest on the first Day and I probably shouldn't have joined in the first place when I knew the game was beginning during my last week of school, but I couldn't resist (yes...I have a WW addiction...no need to remind me).

Anyways, good game. It looks like it was lots of fun.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #663
Volo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
One thing I would suggest to change is not giving the lynch seer the # of votes the person received. That definitely was the strongest weapon for the village and put our wolves in a really tough situation.
Hmm... Would the Innocents have any chance if there is no # of votes given? That gives advantage both to baddies and goodies, after all, the Lynch Seer can be, and was, a baddie, twice.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #664
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Hmm... Would the Innocents have any chance if there is no # of votes given? That gives advantage both to baddies and goodies, after all, the Lynch Seer can be, and was, a baddie, twice.
Yes, but one was a Cobbler who made only one "last shot" and it probably wouldn't turn good if the game continued, and the first one's lie eventually turned to his doom (though I must say it looked like quite a very strong blow to the innocents when it happened)... so I'm not sure...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #665
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Yes, but one was a Cobbler who made only one "last shot" and it probably wouldn't turn good if the game continued, and the first one's lie eventually turned to his doom (though I must say it looked like quite a very strong blow to the innocents when it happened)... so I'm not sure...
Yeah... True. But would they be Innocents be too overpowered if this was removed?

The Shade's goal is now to have the game last as long as possible (over 6 (?) Days).
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #666
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
My secret for this game, i imagined myself as a Leprechaun and you were all after my lucky charms...

thats basically it... don't know why i haven't thought of it sooner...