The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #1241
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I am in our school play this year... and my character is called McHabe's Runner... I can't help but think McCaber when I see that...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #1242
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It is called "McCaber's Rune" !?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #1243
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
An example of how your impressions can be altered - I was on my blog a couple of weeks ago saying how Mithalwen* looks exactly like Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire in a famous portrait; I'd just noticed this look-a-like. Last week I popped over to Chatsworth and the same portrait was there, and I thought "Oh, it's Mithalwen" instead of thinking "Oh, that's the duchess".

*Mithalwen is free to deny this resemblance of course
No I it isn't completely random - I can see what you mean. It does say a lot about how ideas of beauty have changed that she was played by Keira Knightly who looks nothing like the portrait or me.

I have to remind myself that I would have been an infant mortality statistic in eras when I would have been considered beautiful

And I had a friend who called me duchess

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #1244
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It is called "McCaber's Rune" !?
Not Rune, but I can see the resemblance! I hope that I don't forget to forget the resemblance before the show, otherwise you never know what will happen!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #1245
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When you become worried when you find out your last post on this thread was about a month ago...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #1246
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
When you become worried when you find out your last post on this thread was about a month ago
When you become worried that your last good post on any thread was more than a month ago!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #1247
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know you're addicted to the BD when...

You're playing a Facebook app called Nations and you receive the situation: "A mass murderer is loose in [insert nation name] and the local police force is having trouble catching the culprit. Do you..."

And one of the options is: "Assemble a lynching mob and temporarily deputize them with the orders to find the murderer at all costs?"

Of course the first thought that comes to mind is, "Wow, that is just like WW!"
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #1248
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
...or rather WW. When trying to cross the border from Russia to Finland without somekind of document I should have had (someone (I wonder who) lost it). The worker there tried to convince that I'm a guilty criminal by turning everything against me. Such as that everyone else from the group did have the document - I can't think of why that would point anyhow to me being evil. :S I did get over the border, but probably wouldn't have had I been three months older: I would have got a fine, and since I had ten rubels at most, I would have been arested or something as nice, lynched maybe. I did get to have a laugh though, talking high philosophical nonsense to the worker there and getting away with it.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #1249
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
As some of you know I tried to rep Formendacil on facebook. . .

Old 11-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #1250
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When you're delighted, really baffled, slightly disturbed and rather convinced that you just saw Sally on TV. I swear, she looked exactly like her.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #1251
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you decide to attempt to use the internet via your cell phone in order to access the Downs and check up on the WW thread while waiting for a movie to start in the theatre. That's what I did Thursday evening. I don't know how people manage to use their phones for internet on a regular basis...it's quite hard to read from the tiny screen. But I did manage to get through half a page...
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #1252
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A friend of mine is into Historical Fencing, and all of their drills have names/abbreviations that are of Italian origin. Her brother's sword was in their home today (she keeps her own at the training place), so she took it and asked me if I wanted to see [her perform] Form. Yes, sure, that'd be nice. Do you buy him plane tickets?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #1253
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have mentioned it here before, but it's been some time, and right now I have actually started to listen again to the music of Tony Iommi. It's some good music, but I doubt I would have paid enough attention to it in the first place, had I not been a Barrow-Downer...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #1254
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When you always laugh when you see a Kelloggs Multi Grain package because you always misread the last word...

And also, when it makes you smile to see a downer's last name in a car register plate.

And lastly, related to what Legate just said, I might have to thank an old BD dream of mine for starting to listen to a band called Kent...
Old 11-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1255
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Hey Lommy guess who this song reminds me of. . .
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVxdlJtq3I

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #1256
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
When you always laugh when you see a Kelloggs Multi Grain package because you always misread the last word...
Yeah - somehow having Multi Groin for breakfast makes your morning a little nicer. (Especially eating it with a yoghurt in the package of which there is a small text "Diamond"...)
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #1257
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When you're able to get so immersed in thinking about an RPG that you pour sour milk instead of yoghurt on your müsli. I can't recommend the taste to anyone.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #1258
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

1. What where you going to use the sour milk for?
2. You pour yoghurt over your mülsi? I always put müsli on my yoghurt. . .

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1259
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
1. What where you going to use the sour milk for?
2. You pour yoghurt over your mülsi? I always put müsli on my yoghurt. . .
1. My mum bought it because my grandfather visited us some days ago and he drinks it...
2. Yes, mostly. That way I can fit more müsli in there...
Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #1260
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think it could be considered a sign of addiction that I seem to have taken to the habit of systematically using Downers as example persons if some schoolwork seems to require it.
There's at least one person who appears in my writings more often than any other.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #1261
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Top Ten Signs You're addicted to WW

I saw a juice bottle at the grocery store today. It said "apple, strawberry and lychee" and I read "apple, strawberry and lynchee" and thought: "How brutal!"
Old 11-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #1262
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I saw a juice bottle at the grocery store today. It said "apple, strawberry and lychee" and I read "apple, strawberry and lynchee" and thought: "How brutal!"
That could make an interesting WW commentary.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #1263
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

When you have at least half a dozen BDers' phone numbers in your mobile's contact list even though you technically can't even call them since your phone plan doesn't cover overseas calls. How sad.

When you start to mark fellow Downers' birthdays on your wall calendar.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #1264
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Heh, I would do that if I had a wall calendar, I mark tham in my planner instead.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #1265
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
When you have at least half a dozen BDers' phone numbers in your mobile's contact list even though you technically can't even call them since your phone plan doesn't cover overseas calls. How sad.

What about recieving calls and text messaging?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #1266
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When your older brother, who knows very little of Lord of the Rings and Tolkien related stuff, makes the remark: "now that's a bad habit." And you mis-hear it as, "now that's a bad hobbit."

When you turn off the Christmas music on the radio and substitute it with the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #1267
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
When you feel an urge to buy peanut butter even though you don't like it the tiniest bit, just because the package reads Skippy.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #1268
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
I am sure someone's mentioned this before, but reading through ancient Greek literature and start mistakenly reading things like: the moddess Athene. It's kind of funny in the juxtaposition of that modern term and the one of long ago.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #1269
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Lindale is finally admitting her addiction to BD because... she's posting here and there, more often than she checks her blog. And she's wondering if she's the only person from her part of the world still active in the Downs. I swear I knew at least three other Filipinos, and I'm willing to bet two are in my school... I wonder where they went.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #1270
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
I am sure someone's mentioned this before, but reading through ancient Greek literature and start mistakenly reading things like: the moddess Athene. It's kind of funny in the juxtaposition of that modern term and the one of long ago.
I've been there, Gollum! It's also fun to make comparisons between ancient heroes and Tolkien's heroes, achilles the prideful Numenorean, Ajax the Dwarf, Diomedes the Elf! Oh the possibilities are endless!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #1271
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
What about recieving calls and text messaging?
For overseas calls, I don't think that's possible. Feel free to try as I'd love to receive calls or texts, but it probably won't go through unfortunately.

For now, I'll have to rely on Skype (which I still haven't actually downloaded since I bought my new laptop). Btw, more BDers should get a Skype account as it's a lot of fun...all you need is a microphone. The webcam is a bonus.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #1272
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A really bad sign is when you start acting more and more like your RPG character here on the Downs.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #1273
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Picking fights, are we?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #1274
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
A really bad sign is when you start acting more and more like your RPG character here on the Downs.
*will watch Groin - from a safe distance, though - closely from now on*
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #1275
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
And she's wondering if she's the only person from her part of the world still active in the Downs. I swear I knew at least three other Filipinos, and I'm willing to bet two are in my school... I wonder where they went.
They're both still alive, I can assure you. Unfortunately, in this region of cyberspace, being alive is not exactly a good thing.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #1276
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well Lhuna good to see a kababayan, finally someone na makakaintindi ng sig ko. Minsan naiirita kasi ako kapag hindi ko mabasa yung mga pinagsusulat ng mga Europeo dito. Now I guess sila rin, maiirita na hindi maintindihan ito. Or not. Cheers nalang.

Ooh lookie this, too.

Sometimes in my addiction to the Downs I wonder if I can ask somewhere or someone here something about German grammar--especially if I'm working on an assignment. Our insane professor sometimes ask us level-2 students to write papers in German about customs and stuff.

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 12-13-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #1277
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I'm quite amused by the fact that I'm posting from somebody else's account, from somebody else's home, from somebody else's country. Hehehee!

Oh, and Legate has an amusing brother.

-Volo of Amon Lanc
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #1278
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*points up* Well, I am sure you can make the picture yourselves on how it's going on around here...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #1279
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh, and Legate has an amusing brother.
I wonder if it's a sign of addiction that your mother remembers not only Downers but also their siblings by their real names (although in her defence I could say those names are usually particularly funny ).
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #1280
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
-Volo of Amon Lanc
Now that reminds me of an old dream of mine...

Anyway, I think that even though greatly decreased, the amount of time I spend talking about the 'Downs with my RL-'downer friends is a bit worrying...