The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
The ConGladiator of Arda

The idea is that there are two contestants at a time, writing short (this has to be agreed on) stories in turns. After each story anybody can rate it (from 1-10 would be fine). The losing player is the one who runs out of ideas first (or get's under some amount of points for a decided amount of stories. This has to be discussed.) After a player loses, a new player can challange the winning player.

If you have read 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers, you should know what I'm talking about. I don't know what everybody else thinks of this, but if somebody is interested to help me get this going, please tell me.

- All, who will (maybe) want to take part in the contest have to chose a RPG-style character and inform here. From the list (if there will ever be one) I'll randomly chose the contestant.

- The stories can be of any style, but they have to be somehow related to the character and Arda. The whole idea is that the stories are lies, so they can also include things that aren't related to Arda. The storytelling should be RPG-style, so acting can be done.

- We have to agree how a player loses. Free voting is the current plan.

- The winner has to continue writing if somebody challenges him/her! (Well, actually you are allowed to give up...)

- A losing contestant can enter again after some period.

- The time allowed for the story has to be agreed.

This is my first thread and maybe too quickly put. If you think this won't work, first explain why. I bet something isn't understandable in my text, tell me and I'll try to write it better.

NOTE: I'll not have much time to be on the computer (exept on the weekends), so I'll need help with this anyway. I also have a WW-game at the moment so that also limites the time now. After that I'll have more time to think about this (so, if you want this going - lynch me).
Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Sorry Volo but RPG'ing only takes place on the Downs in the RPG forums.

The Downs has a reputation for good-quality writing thanks, in no small measure, to the dedicated RPG mods, and that is largely down to their effort and the guidelines that they have developed for those forums. It is a reputation that we would like to maintain and preserve.

Since your proposal effectively involves "freestyle" RPG'ing outside the scope of those carefully developed guidelines, it is not something that it is forum policy to entertain.

While some exceptions have been made to allow "role-play" style games within the Mirth forum (the current Werewolf game and the Great Golden Hoard game), they are limited and have been permitted to continue on the understanding that they are not RPGs and also that they will be carefully and properly modded.

Your proposal falls outside the permitted exceptions and risks producing just the kind of unregulated RPG'ing style that we wish, and have made great efforts, to avoid.

Sorry, but I'm closing this thread for the reasons set out above.