The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Silmarillion Screams

I've been listening to the Extended DVD Director/Writer Commentary track. DVDs like this are great -- it's practically film-school-in-a-box. I thought these were of particular interest: <P>At one point, PJ mentions that Fran did all the Nazgûl screams, and Philippa Boyens jokes, "Peter told her that he'd just bought the rights to <I>The Silmarillion</I> and she just didn't stop screaming for two hours."<P>I'm also burning with jealousy at PJ's revelation that he has the Bag End set in storage somewhere and plans to stick it into a real hillside someday so that he can spend his weekends there. <P>Any other items from the commentary tracks which you found particularly interesting or funny?<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:57 AM   #2
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the hobbit boys talking about Tig and so much other funny stuff they said.<P>at the end of the credits, Elijah thanking Tom Bombadil for taking care of them.<P>I have to watch the dvd again soon!
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Billy and Dominic talking about Elf-maidens.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TIG TIG TIG HAHAHA classic!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where are you guys finding this stuff on the DVD?? FOTR right?? Please let me know, cuz I don't see any of that on there.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #6
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Arwen, it's on the extended version DVD. I love the TIG game as other have said. That was so funny!!<P>But other things that just sort of struck me funny were:<P>1. When they are entering Bree and they tell about Dom going around picking up golf balls for no reason. <P>2. When the Hobbits are in the Prancing Pony and they show that shot of a cat. Sean I believe says, "Did they just show a shot of a cat?"<P>3. This one was shown on many other things also...When Dom tells about his "deathly" splinter he got doing the Buckleberry Ferry scene. <P>4. Also about Elijah missing the raft in the Buckleberry Ferry scene and how the horse fell in the water and started drowning. <P>5. When Frodo stands up at the beginning of the movie when he meets Gandalf. {Talking about Frodo}<BR>Dom: Oh, who is this shady character?<BR>Lij: I don't know<BR>Dom: Wait a minute, here it comes...ahh!!! {Frodo stands up}<BR>Lij: He was in deep impact<BR>Dom: Are you sure?<P>6. When Pippin and Merry are first seen coming from behind the tent at Bilbo's party. {Talking about themseves}<BR>Dom: Here they come<BR>Billy: Ah, yes, here is is<BR>Billy/Dom {in unison}: Cheeky...<BR>Dom: Now if those aren't two amazing actors I don't know who is<P>There are many many more, mostly including the young "hobbit" guys, that I thought were hilarious! I just can't remember them all right now. But I loved the commentary. It was so funny.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another good one is when they are all talking about how Orlando Bloom has everything going for him, oh the acting commentary is just so great, all of them are. Though my sister will not watch the special effects one because Richard Taylor's voice annoys her.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #8
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

yes, I believe it was Dom who said he kind of envies Orlando for his talent and good looks, etc. <P>I think it is always funny when Dom points out how handsome he looks in certain shots. (when the spider crawls on him and when he is sleeping). <P>I get a laugh out of how often Orlando says "you know" in the commentary. he just, you know, says it all the time, you know.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Silmaril

ok cool, but where on the extended DVD are u finding all this? I only know a couple of the things that u are talking about.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

Yeah i wondered this also. Where on the dvd can u find this stuff?

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 PM   #11
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its on the extended DVD on the movie discs it says special features and then you can choose which commentaries you want to listen too. I have to get through the special effects ones now<P>The best parts were the hobbit actors talking together. TIG!!! I laughed so hard at their jokes. they're hilarious!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:05 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You merely play the movie with the commentaries feature on. It plays the movie with the sound off (or just low?) and the guys discuss stuff related to the certain scenes as they come along. So it isn't on a special feature disc, if that's what you were thinking. And it's only on the Extended DVD.<P>Alas and alack, I have not watched mine yet! You guys are making me jealous with all your talk about how funny and great it was. I really want to watch it, but my family is adverse to watching the same movie every day for a week. Odd people, they are.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"Hey, how come we don't play tig anymore?"<BR>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!<P>Everything you all said is very funny. So is the part where they point out the mistake with the Black Rider coming from behind the tree. Then they're kinda silent, thinking "I hope PJ doesn't give us a row for that!"
Old 01-09-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Silmaril

Ohhhh!! OK I get it!!! Thanks, I'll have to watch it with the commentaries!! That should be very interesting!! lol
Old 01-09-2003, 11:53 PM   #15
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
what I found interesting was that all the characters that played the hobbits commented together, Orlando was byhimself and so was Sir Ian.. how odd!!<P>Orlando would not stop saying "NICe" things about his cast mates!! comeon!! give us some dirt buddy!!<P>the hobbit's commentary was the funniest..<P>I listen to the special effects guys talking about the movie before bed.. by the time I have to pop in the second DVD I'm already sleepin!!
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I watch the dvd on my computer and can switch among the soundtracks, sometimes listening to the actors' commentary, other times listening to the director's commentary, etc.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:09 PM   #17
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orlando Boom's "Lembas commercial" comment cracked me up. His voice was just so. . . fruity with that horrible commercial overtone when he parroted his line! I must have laughed for five minutes straight after hearing that!<P>-Lily
Old 01-11-2003, 11:02 PM   #18
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Peter told her that he'd just bought the rights to The Silmarillion ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am all alone on this, but i don't want Peter Jackson to do anything with the Silmarillion.<P>Don't get me wrong, I would love to see all the Silmarllion characters on screen, but what Peter Jackson did with LotR, trivialised everything that made it special. This would be inevitable if he made the Silmarillion movie.<P>Many changes are made to both the FotR and TTT in the movies, big changes, and this would certainly happen if Peter Jackson were to make the Silmarillion into a movie. Can you imagine the changes that would be put into the Silmarillion movie.<P>Just a thought....<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Pallando B.C ]

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 02:18 AM   #19
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

I agree with you Pallando B.C. Your not alone in this matter A film adaption of The Silmarillion would just disintigrate the integrity of the novel.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:07 PM   #20
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Yes! I finally got a chance to watch the movie with the cast commentary. Some of my favorite moments:<P>All throughout the movie Sean Astin keeps saying how jealous he is of Orlando Bloom (good naturedly, of course). In Moria he said, "The jealousy I feel for Orlando Bloom is on many, many levels." And whenever Legolas got to do some awesome fighting, you could hear Sean grumbling in the background. <P>Plus, on Weathertop, when Frodo drops his sword, Elijah remarked how he'd done weeks of sword training just for that one scene, and then he didn't even get to do anything. And then, as Frodo crawls away from the Nazgul, Dom said, "Oh, Elijah, that's just pathetic."<P>I also enjoyed all the parts where they were excited to see cut scenes put back in. I don't know why they weren't prepped for it, or anything, but a certain scene would come on and they would go, "Oh! There it is! Yes! They put it back in!" etc. Or reactions to little parts of scenes that had been cut, like the knife licking. I just found it funny, becaue here these are the guys who were in the movie, and they seem to be enjoying it just like any other viewer would, saying stuff like, "This is my favorite line" or "I love this part!" I usually assume that people wouldn't be able to get that much into a film that they made, just because they know all the "secrets". But I must be wrong. <P>And it amused me when they would say the lines in unison with the film, especially Sean's impersonation of Barliman Butterbur, and then the aforementioned "Lembas Commercial" line.<P>Of course, there were lots more interesting tidbits and funny anecdotes all through the movie, but I can't possibly sit here typing them all out.<P>EDIT: Oh, well, I could just add one more thing. I found it interesting where Orlando Bloom explained his facial expression at Dimrill Dale and then again when Boromir dies. He said he was going for a confused and bewildered look because as an immortal elf Legolas can't comprehend death, and he's trying to understand what just happened. I'm not sure I agree with that idea....I mean, Legolas should be used to seeing death all around him after living for so long in a mortal world. But I always did wonder just what was going on with those expressions, and so now I know.<p>[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-27-2003, 03:15 AM   #21
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> At one point, PJ mentions that Fran did all the Nazgûl screams, and Philippa Boyens jokes, "Peter told her that he'd just bought the rights to The Silmarillion and she just didn't stop screaming for two hours." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, I believe that's a misquote. I believe the actual quote was; <P>"...Philippa jokes that they announced on the Barrowdowns that Fran would be writing the Silmarillion screenplay, and they just didn't stop screaming for two weeks."<P>
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:18 AM   #22
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do you guys realize how jealous I am! I haven't gotten my hands on the extended edition dvd yet, and am hoping I get it for my birthday. No fair!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #23
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know how you feel Ardwenna. I don't have the extended DVD either! We didn't have a DVD player when the movie came out and so we bought it on VHS but now we have a DVD player and so you'd assume that the first thing we'd have done was to buy FOTR and all it's special edition/extended version etc... but NO!! Breaks my heart it does....<P>I'm hoping to get it soon though. And once I do, then I'll finally be able to understand what all of you guys have been talking about! I can't wait

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:17 PM   #24
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Hee hee gotta love the Tig thing!!!<BR>Anyway does anyone remember the part where Elijah admits to having farted in Dom's hair,<BR>you know the bit after the cornfield?<BR>Or what about whan Christopher Lee is saying the Original lines from the script and then saying the final version, I think that is facinating to know what changes the film script has been through.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote