The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #41
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Liv Tyler. I hate her voice. It's so fake, corny, deep?, raspy, and just annoying. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Liv Tyler as Arwen. What is up with the raspy voice? Does she have asthma? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> While I agree 99% on the choice of Liv Tyler as Arwen, ... I think that her voice doesn't suit the part <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think this is an interesting commentary on the director actually, because that voice is NOT Liv Tyler's natural speaking voice. During the early filming sessions they had her try the lower pitch to give Arwen a more aged or wise (or something like that) feel - To give the impression that she was thousands of years old. She also said that it helped her speak the Elvish lines more naturally (fluidly?), so they stuck with it.<P>So, did it work?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:20 PM   #42
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Annoying:<P>Frodo in "pain" when he's cringing and he does that thing with his head.<P>Legolas, period.<P>Elrond with his Arwen speech.<P>The weakness of Helm's Deep in the movie.<P>Saruman's possession of Theoden.<P><BR>Thats All ,<BR>Iarwain
Old 01-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #43
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Is that the one you mean? There's someone he reminds me of from another film, but I can't quite place it. It's bugging me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The orc who suggests eating Merry and Pippin and gets decapitated for his troubles reminds me greatly of a character in a British TV comedy series - "The Harry Enfield Televison Show". For those (probably very few here) who know it - he is the spitting image of the Paul Whitehouse Old Git.<P>As for what I found <B>most</B> annoying - the Wargs. With all the great SFX, you would have thought they could make them look like the fearsome super-wolves that they are, rather than stuffed hyenas with lazy eyes.<P>Edit: Oh, and Frodo continually rolling his eyes up. It was OK the first few times - but every time he has a "Ring moment"?<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #44
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Someone said they reminded her of Teddy Bears with ADHD!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 PM   #45
caitlin getz

Sting

Hello I am new to this place, so forgive me if I don't do this right.<P>What annoyed me was how the Nazgul were flying, It did not scare me at all.<BR>And When farimir has the sword to Frodo and all that frodo does is smack the sword and yell NOOOOO!!! If I were Frodo I would pull my sword on him or tackle him to the ground like he did Sam.<BR>But otherwise I liked the movie.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:13 PM   #46
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think I'm the only one..... Eowyn bugged me to death. Yes, now you can scream at me, but it's true. 100 to 1, I know, but it's my opinion! I won't say anything to those who thought Sam/Sean was stupid because I respect their opinion, though I disagree with them entirely.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:55 PM   #47
lanrete
Pile O'Bones

lanrete has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're not the only one.. I didnt like Eowyn either. Elrond was annoying, Liv's voice was HIGHLY annoying, loved Frodo in the 1st movie(*** happened to him in the 2nd??!), hated Grima, didn't like Gollum(I must be the only one:P), but I absolutely love all other characters regardless of how stupid their lines were in the movie.
lanrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:26 AM   #48
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have to say that gimli really annoys me for someone who lives under a moutain he does a really good job of sounding like a lame scotish farmer who just got a divorce. and the "Jokes" well their just diabolical the script writers got the biggest thumbs down for that little stunt and the way in which he shows mock affection for aragorn when he finally makes it to Helms Deep soooo tacky.<BR>Just a thought!<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Donlammenion ]
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:49 AM   #49
Princess of Rivendell

Sting

for me, it was Eowyn , or like i like to call her "desparado" : damn she was so desperate.I thought she was going to jump on aragorn's leg and never let go.hell,i know that aragorn is sexy and very good looking,buy come on.she looked so desperate.the sad thing is that the girl who plays her,whats her name,miranda otto,she looked desperate also,.when she started to talk about viggo,she almost started to drool.you're not supposed to drool in public.if anyone saw the return to middle-earth special that aired on the wb,then you'll know what i'm talking about.but just what i think,oh and my sister and brother-in-law,thought so also.but still it's was a great movie. : she wasn't as bad as jar-jar in star wars damn you jar-jar <P> rincess of the misty mountians :
Old 01-31-2003, 11:36 AM   #50
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

1. Another vote for Frodo's rolling eyes. He's supposed to be a ringbearer, not a Berlin Tiergarten junkie for xxxx sake. <BR>2 Gimli's comic relief. It is not comic, and it is only a relief when it stops.<BR>3. Elrond saying Arrrrrrrrwen. Ok, that is comic relief. <BR>4. Sam's cringy end-of-film speech. Again, bordering on comic relief.