The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
WeWantsIt

Ring Screw ups in TTT

Didn't you think that a many things should have been left the way they were? A couple parts of this movie just didn't settle right in Middle Earth. In a previous topic, I talked about Aragorn's fall over the cliff. In this discussion I was curious if anyone else "smelled a little foul" in The Two Towers. One such scene was the one in which Frodo and the Nazgul come face to face. To me, this could be Jackson's biggest mistake of the films. If the Nazgul saw Frodo so closely to Mordor, don't you think that Sauron would be told? And if this happened, don't you think that Sauron would have some sort of guard around Mount Doom?
Old 01-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

The only explanation is that Sauron might think that the Gondorians have it (Frodo being one of them or something?) and that a ruler will rise and try to attack him. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Yes, I think that that was what Jackson was trying to get at. But it doesn't really work. Having identified where the Ring actually was, Sauron would surely have sent everything he could to recover it. Would the forces holding Osgiliath have been any match for the Nine?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001478" TARGET=_blank>The indecisive Nazgul.</A>
Old 01-23-2003, 12:13 AM   #5
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is actually from FotR, but think about this one...after Gandalf leapt off of Saruman's tower, and jumped onto Gwaihir, did his staff just magically return? Because Saruman took it from him, yet in Rivendell, there he is, with his staff!! And, really, I don't think he just went and bought another one at the nearest Istari shop...
Old 01-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe the two staffs are different if you look at FoTR carefully. I've always been curious about this part in the book and assumed that Gandalf, being suspicious of Saruman, didn't bring his staff at all. Either that or Saruman locked Gandalf up on the top of Orthanc with his staff. I'm not sure either makes sense.<P>I guess assuming he just made another is the best.<P>This must be talked about somewhere in the books board but I can't seem to find it.<P>H.C.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the book, I also kind of figured he mgiht have not brought his staff.<P>It's kind of weird to imagine Gandalf going to some Elvish store to buy a new staff <BR>I don't think Treebeard would have approved him ripping tree branches....