The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield My views on the Film (It wouldn't let me post on the other topic like this)

Sorry that I had to start a new topic but it wouldn't let me post on the other one.<BR> I thought it was a great film all in all.<BR>I think that Merry and Pippin were portrayed as stupid and as comedy characters.<BR>The Last Alliance was great as was the Balrog. <BR> The film may have missed out bits but it still inspired as the book had, it put across the great wonderment of middle Earth and the love and passion that Tolkien put into the book. It rekindled an already brightly burning that is the worldwide love for the Lord Of The Rings. The General public (A.K.A. non TOLKIEN readers) will now go out and read the next two.<BR> No film can portray a book exactly, take Harry Potter for example I loved the books (not as much as I love Tolkien's books ofcourse) but the film was crap and didn't show how good the books were, it missed out loads of the important bits, however the LOTR film managed to keep on the basic story line, added a few bits of their own and still managed to keep the magic of Tolkiens world alive.<BR> All the things they showed were as I imagined and the acting was great. I think that The actors for Aragorn and Boromir should have been swapped. Hobbits were good. I wish we had fireworks like that in our world because that would be really cool.<BR> We must remember 1 thing, whatever the director, Producer, Actors. ect. say they were not out to recreate the Land Of Middle Earth because they loved Tolkiens works. They were out for profit (which is why they left out some of the less exiting bits). So considering they were out for profit they did pretty well I thought. Sorry I dragged on a bit!<P>PS. Victory for the Pro Wingers (Balrog Wise)
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:47 PM   #2
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin looked like a bubbling fool. But Merry had some quality of intellegence about him. (I finally figured out which was which) Merry seemed to understand the situation better. Both were not as good as they could or should have been but there are two more films to make up for that.<p>[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:18 PM   #3
Radagast

Pipe

Actually, if I am correct, Peter Jackson, the director, is a huge Tolkien fan and did it because he loved the books.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:35 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Although it wasn't book perfect, no film ever is, and i knew this one wouldn't be either, this film was so good, that I went again that night to see it a 2nd time and hopefully be going again tomorrow. There were some small parts I wasn't happy about but over all Peter Jackson did a fantasic job of putting it to film. All the actors did a very excellent job with their characters. I wouldn't say that Pippin and Merry were portrayed as stupid, more like mischievous and silly, but certainly not stupid.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 04:20 AM   #5
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Shield

Yes, I think that Merry and Pippin were portrayed as comedy characters in the Fellowship, film but they will come into their own in the next two films. Although PJ was doin it because he loved the books, all the others were just doin their job, and earning some money, whatever they tell u.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:44 AM   #6
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Don't post stuff here anymore because I managed to post my bit in the other topic and theres no point in having 2 topics on the same thing
Old 12-21-2001, 07:02 AM   #7
baumbach

Sting

I actually thought Pippin and Merry were the most 'Hobbit-like' of any of the hobbits.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:29 AM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A lot of those actors wanted to be involved in the movies and not for the profit alone.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote