The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #1
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Beware the Ides of March

This is naught but a quick thought that occurred to me the last time I read the Return of the King. 'Tis probably not worthy of a new topic but there are no other threads on which it would be logical to post.

In the Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien kept a clear chronology of dates, but the dates never really seem to have any meaning outside of the text. In Return of the King, it is stated that Theoden dies on March 15, the Ides of March, the same day that Julius Caesar was murdered. The deaths do not seem to bear any relation, but do you think that Tolkien consciously intended the date to match?

The only other semblance of a parallel I could find between the two deaths (aside from the obvious fact that they were both kings/emperors) was that their deaths were caused by an enemy and actually carried out, in a sense, by friends. Cassius was the plotter of Caesar's murder, and Brutus (at least partially unwillingly) helped to carry it out. Similarly (if you can call it similar [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), the Lord of the Nazgul is the "plotter" of Theoden's death, but Theoden is actually killed by his faithful horse, Snowmane.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wow.. I have never thought about it . But actually I think there is no relation between these two deaths . I think that it would be kinda hard to calculate the lenghth of the fellowship's journey specially for the Men of Rohan come to Minas Tirith at 15th of March . But actually who knows ? The only one who could answer you is dead . What a pitty...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I don't think there is a link, although it could be of course. But in that case I think that Tolkien would have provided us with more similar facts don't you think?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I just think that it was one of those strange coincidences that J.R.R. Tolkien didn't think about. But then again, I don't think he was expecting us to analyze his books so deeply.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

Considering all the neat unintentional parallels in the Lord of the Rings, it isnt suprising that something like this turned up in the chronology. Was tolkien a fan of Shakespear? Ive never heard anything like that, but he might have planned out the date more because of it's significant affiliation with fate in general than because of it's part in Julius Caesar.

But either way, good call in picking that out!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:11 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

He could have been a fan of Shakespeare. After all, the old Professor was very well-versed in the classics, and he has said that he drew material from myriad sources, so who knows? He just might have gotten a little bit of inspiration from THE playwright!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

It's probably just a coincidence. You could probably find parallels with just about anything if you analyzed the books enough. I think this and other "parallels" with various other stories are just the result of over-analyzing to me.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:45 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

Actually, it seems that Tolkien was not a fan of Shakespeare at all. Read me to find out more, and also for some really quite compelling parallels between Tolkien's works and those of Shakespeare (Birnham Wood - need I say more? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ).