The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Movie Characters Revisited: Gandalf

We will kick off with Gandalf, who isn't the main protagonist of the films, but he's been part of perhaps one of the most expansive discussions of the Movies forum. (see: Gandalf vs. The Witch-King)

A few things about Gandalf really stood out to me that I sort of just noticed, or if I did notice before I didn't give any added though to.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but as much as I think Ian McKellan is a very good Gandalf (an excellent Magneto though ), there was something missing in his performance. Something more than some of the character changes like his mauling on Denethor or fight with the Witch-King. I don't know who else could have been casted for the role, and I'm not even sure I would want someone else other than Sir Ian, but something is lacking in his performance as Gandalf.

I think he is rather an ideal Gandalf the Grey. He is the scolding, temperamental "grandpa" when Hobbits are acting stupid: "Confounded old Samwise Gamgee! Have you been eavesdropping!" And the famous "Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time!" Yet, friendly, and the comforting mentor when he has to be (think of his convo with Frodo in the Mines of Moria, or when we first meet driving a wagon on the way to Bilbo's). Gandalf's friendly, warm demeanor when we first meet him is contrasted nicely with the scene in Bag End with Bilbo. There, for the first time, we see Gandalf isn't all laughs and famous for fireworks: "Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjuror of cheap tricks!"

So, I have very little bad to say about Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey. However, I think the slightly-off feelings come as Gandalf the White. I don't know what's missing, so maybe I'm just imagining it. But, he doesn't have the aura, and inspiration as Gandalf the White, like I expected. He hasn't "raised in stature" upon being "sent back," but seems to have actually lost some of his gravitas.

And secondly, I took note of how different Gandalf treats Theoden and Denethor. With Theoden, Gandalf goes into an advisor's role. He counsels Theoden, but ultimately lets Theoden make his own decisions. With Denethor, however, Gandalf becomes far more assertive, to the point where he takes authority over the Steward, with command of Gondor's forces. I'm wondering why Jackson (and co.) would want to portray Gandalf treating the two rulers differently, and if there is also a noticeable difference in the books, with the way Gandalf treats them?

Of course, feel free to discuss pretty much whatever you noticed about Gandalf, the scripting of the role, a/o Mckellan's portrayal. These were just a few things I thought about and had me curious, to serve as starting points. (I hope I wasn't too wordy for this introductory post )