The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #1
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Sorry, newbie question here

I'm sorry, I'm not sure who to pm for this, but I've been having difficulty reading some of these threads. Occasionally a screen will tell me that "There is no user profile created for member number 00005-something or other or when I click on a page in a thread, it just won't come up...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...
Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Welcome to the Downs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It's not you. the Forum has the hiccups and is doing this to everyone.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yeah...it did it to me, and I was just as confused as you. It worked after a day or so. So, just keep trying.

But, if the problem is that you can't read the threads, what use is it if we reply/ I mean, you can't raed our advice, so by the time it works, you won't need our advice...but whatever...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:34 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arrgh! It's happening to me every time I click onto the Edain-twice fallen thread.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
Ardwenna
Pile O'Bones

Ardwenna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

*breathes a sigh of relief* Well at least I'm not the only one. It makes me feel much better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And thank you for the welcome.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #6
*Anuion*
Pile O'Bones

*Anuion* has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes,

I am having this problem with my current account right now. That is also why I have this account. I just need to continue posting. Hm it's already lasting 2 days now. Hope it will pass soon.

Greetings,

Anuion
Old 01-03-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
SirDeity

Sting

I'm having a really hard time trying to find the thread I last posted on. The search feature is a bit primitive. I'm trying to find my post via the search feature. I originally found the forum and thread that I posted on from google, therefore, I don't even know which forum it was. Why do I have to choose a forum when searching? If I don't remember the forum, I ought to be able to simply "search all."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:40 AM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: SirDeity ]
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 AM   #8
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Why do I have to choose a forum when searching?
Because searching all would take far too long - there are over 200,000 posts to search through. Most connections would timeout before the server sifted through every single thread. Some dial-up users even time out searching through some of the bigger forums. If you find it 'primitive,' donate some money for a new system. This site is run for no profit and the money comes straight from the administrators (and a few other members).

Quote:
I don't even know which forum it was.
You should be able to figure out with relative ease because each forum is for a distinct purpose. The only two with any sort of overlap in subject are The Books and Novices & Newcomers.

There are a few more effective ways you can look for your own posts:
A) search the forums you suspect that you may have posted in by your member number, which will undoubtedly show the thread you posted in.
B) go to your user profile by clicking that link or the profile button above any of your posts. There, in the right hand corner, you will see a "View Recent Posts" link that will show you recent posts in all forums.
C) If you're searching for it the day you posted on it, you can check the active topics for today.

However, it looks like the thread you posted on has been deleted, unless you posted on it with a different account.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:32 AM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 01-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

yeah the forum does it to me too
Old 01-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #10
SirDeity

Sting

Quote:
Because searching all would take far too long - there are over 200,000 posts to search through. Most connections would timeout before the server sifted through every single thread. Some dial-up users even time out searching through some of the bigger forums. If you find it 'primitive,' donate some money for a new system. This site is run for no profit and the money comes straight from the administrators (and a few other members).
It shouldn't take long at all. I've been using for over 8 years, and am still currently using, a 26.4k dial-up connection. I visit several forums on almost a daily basis, and haven't ever encountered any with slow search methods or timeouts. Most of the forums I visit are no profit/no cost forums. The only cost should be towards the server(s). The software should be free. I don't know anything about UBB code, but I know phpBB forums are free, and apparently better. Here's an example of a GREAT phpBB forum with a superior search feature: RPGDot

Anyway, I'm only trying to provide helpful criticism. These forum are apparently adequate, since it seems they're fairly popular. Please don't be offended by any of my comments/opinions and/or observations.

Quote:
You should be able to figure out with relative ease because each forum is for a distinct purpose. The only two with any sort of overlap in subject are The Books and Novices & Newcomers.

There are a few more effective ways you can look for your own posts:
A) search the forums you suspect that you may have posted in by your member number, which will undoubtedly show the thread you posted in.
B) go to your user profile by clicking that link or the profile button above any of your posts. There, in the right hand corner, you will see a "View Recent Posts" link that will show you recent posts in all forums.
C) If you're searching for it the day you posted on it, you can check the active topics for today.

However, it looks like the thread you posted on has been deleted, unless you posted on it with a different account.
The thread must have been deleted;(a) Done. No results were found in ANY of the forums, (b) Done. It's not listed, (c) Tried it the following day. Nothing.

It was this account. Thanks for the help, though. I hope the information I provided will be helpful. Check out the phpBB software if you can. I think it's open source. There's probably a way to transfer the forum history/data from one forum to another.