The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2002, 10:44 PM   #1
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Boots Just a thought....

This is just one of my odd ponderings (so please don’t mind me). Okay, have any of you ever noticed how when an author of filmmaker is depicting the future in their works, the costumes almost always seem to relate to the renaissance era? For example, the woman’s costumes in “Dune” are dresses, which are long and beautiful. But consist of more cloth than could cover a wooly mammoth? I just can’t help but notice how the characters in fantasy films and books are dressed in clothing that has not been seen since Queen Elizabeth 1, but in reality, woman’s clothing seems to consist of increasingly less material! Does that make sense? Personally, I would just cherish to wear such elegant clothing (if society would allow). Anyway, am I totally unreasonable? Or does somebody understand what I mean.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 04:30 AM   #2
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I know what you mean...I think there are two reasons...One, most movie makers are men, and face it, most men like women in skirts!! And two, I think we actually deep down love those kind of clothes...pants and a t-shirt are practical....but so BORING! It is especially boring being a guy...if you look at those 'Medieval' costumes...they are colourful, grand, and the men can dress up and wear almost as much jewellry as the lasses. I love wearing long skirts, but do not have much occasion to wear them.
What do others think??
Old 04-08-2002, 07:25 AM   #3
Sîdhrîs
Haunting Spirit

Sîdhrîs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my town there's a Renaissance festival every other year, and everyone dresses up as they did in that era. I really enjoy this and I'd love wearing these clothes all year round!
Maybe the filmmakers think that the return to this kind of clothes will be a "countertrend" to this "loincloth-trend" in our time. It's also obvious that they can illustrate the differences between our time and the future by using different clothes, and as we are used to wearing few, casual clothes, they use excactly the contrary. The only problem that comes along with this is that the Renaissance clothes might not be very comfortable in the global warming [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Sîdhrîs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:39 AM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Interesting points. I have noticed the alternative trend however, which started from science fiction programming from the '60s, where men and women dress identically. The Star Trek jumpsuits are the best example. On a side note, the most foolish outfit is worn by the girls in Logan's Run (a classic bad film, if you've ever had the chance). Apparently in that future, the ladies needed to show an awful lot of skin...

But seriously, on to the original point. I think a lot of costume designers, especially those with the prediliction to join fantasy and sci-fi projects are likely to be those who bemoan the current blandness of dress. Especially among the t-shirt and jeans majority. A great many of these designers, as do I, yearn for a move away from shapeless and style-less clothing.

The most striking image of the future dramas you speak of is that all the people wear the same thing. It's as if nobody can imagine a future where individuality has a place. That is a sobering concept.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Stephanos ]

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Stephanos ]
Old 04-08-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
Mayla Took
Wight

Ring

Stephanos, that is a very interesting view. I had totally forgotten about the Star Trek series. But, maybe the reason that this series have men and woman dressed alike is because of the feminist reasoning of equality of the sexes. Of course I have nothing against equality, I am all for it. But, for woman wearing such elaborate clothing, it does not degrade the gender. Quite on the contrary, dresses are probably one of the most enjoyable clothing for woman to be seen in (and for me I love to wear them)!
Sîdhrîs, we also have a type of renaissance fair where people dress as the era and there are productions shown of William Shakespeare’s plays. I have never gotten a chance to make it down before, but I really would love to go!

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 04-08-2002, 09:43 AM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I see no reason for characters in Sci-Fi films to wear vaguely Elizabethan dress, except it is an alternative to the tin-foil unisex look, so they went for it.

People in fantasy novels usually live in pre-industrial times, without central heating, so layers of clothes make practical sense, Castles were notoriously draughty and cold, and traveling outside in the elements would necessitate layers of clothes for protection.

I'm sure if for some reason our technology failed us, people of this age would soon "cover up."

One thing I did learn while on my first primitive camping trip, where the nearest flush toilet was 10 miles away. Fashion aside, women for most of history had a very good practical reason for wearing skirts! (Any lady in the same situation will know what I'm talkin' about. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #7
Mayla Took
Wight

Sting

Ha ha ha! Well put Birdland!

Old 04-08-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I argee! Thats why I LOOOOVE acting (although when we did Shakespeare I was a guy and had to wear balloon pants that stuck out 3ft on each side) If it were up to me, I'd go around as an elven maiden all the time, although my family would probably shun me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I wish elaborate skirts and dresses were still the style [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'd trade my jeans in in an instant! (Someone do me a favor and create a National Medieval Costume Month!)

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:16 PM   #9
Mayla Took
Wight

Boots

Amen Niere-Teleliniel! I would totaly dress in character if I had a choice!!

Old 04-11-2002, 08:26 PM   #10
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's funny, when I was really young I wanted to wear the beautiful, elaborate dresses that princesses in stories wear, and now I'm starting to wish it again. It would be so much fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:30 PM   #11
Mayla Took
Wight

Silmaril

You know, maybe we should all just start wearing beautiful clothing to start a new fashion!! You think it would work? Ha ha.

Old 04-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #12
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, we might succeed in getting a lot of strange looks and being shunned by society... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2002, 09:13 PM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd just be happy if people would start wearing decent hats again. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 09:29 PM   #14
Mayla Took
Wight

Boots

I think we could only hope for people to start wearing some decent clothing! Lol

Old 04-12-2002, 11:28 AM   #15
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It sounds strange, but if I'm ever rich and unmarried, i intend to buy a hill and build a castle on top of it, with no heating, running water mod cons etc. and live there as if i lived in the renaissance. I know it sounds wierd, but I'd love it (at least fro some of the time). I might have to have a real house too, in case i was feeling "normal"!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #16
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love elegant dressed. I love my jeans too but there is something about being dressed up in that type of clothing that you can't beat. I would dress like that if the clothing wasn't so expensive....
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:38 PM   #17
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I totally agree. I would love to run around in a long elaborate dress, and does anybody else wish that capes were in style. I think capes are really cool.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 05:07 PM   #18
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Actually: one thing that I have always desired is a tower. Just a tower. No castle (although it would be nice), but just a biiiiiiiiiig, taaaaaaall tower with a staircase in the middle and rooms on the side. I would live there happily!

And: I wish I could dress as an Elven maiden, personally. I like the dresses that I imagine Arwen and Galadriel wearing: pretty, flowy, light dresses.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #19
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Our school production is called 'Chickenheart' It is about a tailor from the 1340's who falls in love with a noble woman but the noble woman must wed a tax collector or else she and her family will loose their estates. (I play the whiny, waily, loud mother of the noble lady...my coolest line is: I had this thing about knights in shining armor. Nice to hold, lovely to look at but they always came back in boxes before they got too old.)

It is pretty darn hard to make a costume from that era, especially since it is only a high school play and they think that hockey's more important. (Am I bitter? You bet your left toe I am!! I could drone on and on about it...but I won't [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) So, the cast has to put their own resources together to get up the money and materials to make it all come to life from paper. In order to keep it simple, we figured we would just stick with the renaissance. The make of the dresses are definetly easier to make than one from the 14th century!!! I mean all those ruffles!! That's inhumane!!

When we do the play, I am gonna get pictures taken, I will put one up so you can all laugh at me. -_- Just not too hard, I don't want anyone hurting themselves (or am I giving myself way too much credit [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

I heard that my family clan actually has a plot of land with a castle on it. It was from my mother's side of the family, and the main head of the clan (Or the ones that are most entitled to it) live in Boston. Ah well, it's makes for pretty cool dinner conversation.

I would like a log cabin in the middle of the woods, far, far away from any civilization. That would be cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 03:57 AM   #20
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

VanimaEdhel, when I have a castle, do you want to come and live near me, so that people don't think I'm too wierd! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 04:17 AM   #21
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

Can I live in the castle too, and wear gorgeous dresses?
Old 04-15-2002, 04:18 AM   #22
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Yes come along, then we can get a reputation as "those mad women who live in the castle" what fun!

One day, my "episode" will be over and I'll be fine again, don't worry!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:28 AM   #23
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

Yay! I'd love an excuse to dress in beautiful princess dresses and live in a castle.
And who cares if people think we're mad? We're happy living in our little fantasy world where we're all beautiful Elf princesses or something. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 05:33 AM   #24
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Yeah, my mental world is so much nicer than the real one, surely its better to live in a "happy land" than a real one! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Who's mad now??? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 08:41 AM   #25
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm of a different opinion. While I like soft flowy dresses and all the acessories that go with them, if I had a choice I'd go around in the gear of an elven scout. Very comfortable, all in greens, browns & greys(which I look rather good in), and I'd get to wear a cloak! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've always liked long light cloaks; now there's a trend that I'd like to see. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]