The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Rosie a twin?

My friend was reading in the Appendicies in the RotK. And she noticed that in Sam's Family Tree it lists Rose Cotton and Wilcome (Jolly) Cotton as being born in 1384 shire reckoning. So does that mean that Rosie is a twin?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
samwise8504
Animated Skeleton

samwise8504 has just left Hobbiton.
i've noticed that as well but i dont remember it saying anywhere that they were twins
samwise8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
They could also have been born in January and December or something similar, with more than 9 months between them. I haven't heard anything about them being twins either, though it is of course possible.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
White Tree

I saw that as well, but I thought that it was what NightKnight said, that there was a difference in age of at least nine months.
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
White Tree

Quote:
My friend was reading in the Appendicies in the RotK. And she noticed that in Sam's Family Tree it lists Rose Cotton and Wilcome (Jolly) Cotton as being born in 1384 shire reckoning. So does that mean that Rosie is a twin?
I didn't think they were twins...

Wilcome or "Jolly" was the third child of Tolman Cotton and Lily Brown. He had three brothers, and a sister; Rose. I think they were only born in the same year, because if they were born at the same date I would them to have an "equal" position on that line there..*points in her book* I'm not sure though...
Old 05-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

If you go by that logic though, then how can you assume that Elladan and Elrohir were twins? Everybody assumes that they are twins. How do we know that? Because they were born the same year. That is the same logic I am going by with Rosie and Jolly.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Poor Mrs. Cotton! If they're not twins, the minute she's finally free of one, her husband puts another burden inisde her...her figure'll never recover from this constant abuse!

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"

Last edited by Olorin_TLA; 05-01-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:10 AM   #8
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
With Elladan and Elrohir we were told in the book that they were twins. That they were stated to be born in the same year is only a consequence of this.

But here with Rose Cotton and her brother we have only the same year of birth stated in the family-tree. And as was already explained that does not make them neccessarly twins.

On the other hand after a look into the The History of Middle-Earth, volume 12: The Peoples of Middle-Earth, part one: The Prologue and Appendices to The Lord of the Ring, chapter III: The Family Trees I come to the conclusion that we are talking about a misprint here. This is not stated in the book (which that series of books does some times), but in the series of family trees for the Cottons never apeared the same date for Rose and here younger brother Jolly. In the first table Rose was born in 1386 and Jolly in 1384. In the next table they are both shifted to be two years younger making them born Rose in 1384 and Jolly 1382. These dates remained in table no. 3 and no change is recorded niether for the subsequent table no. 4 (which is not shown in the book but discriped) nor for the printed version (for which are even changes made in the prove are recorded).
It would be nice to know if these misprint is global or if it is particular form some editions. In my three editions (Grafton one volume paperback and 2 German editions of the Appendices as singel books) the date for Rose's birth is (mis-)printed 1384.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I saw that as well, but I thought that it was what NightKnight said, that there was a difference in age of at least nine months.
Who says hobbit pregnancy lasts nine months?