Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2002, 09:35 PM   #281
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Warg: why don't you see about maybe huning down something to eat and perhaps share with the rest? You never know what you might find...
Old 09-12-2002, 10:39 PM   #282
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

There's tons of carnage from which an observant wolf may choose. Freshly roasted, even. I can't speak for Saruman, but surely Wormtongue would approve. Just a modest proposal. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I will add my first post tomorrow afternoon, so I beg that no one write anything for Leoden or Gurthden until then. I have plans that are approved by Thenamir, and I hope you all will like where it takes the story.

I would not have thought about rejoining the RPG, but the standard of writing it has come to is just amazing, and it's really an honor to have been a part and to continue doing so. There isn't a person involved that isn't interesting, unique, and gifted in writing his or her character.

Well, I'M BACK.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:32 AM   #283
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

ROFLH!!!!!!, Thenamir! (That last H is for 'helplessly'!) I nominate that post, along with several others of yours here on the discussion thread, for archiving when the RPG is finished! On this RPG, even the discussion turns into a game!!
Dwarin, nice change of pace after all the fighting - and quite poetic!
Rimbaud, the continuity is very good now, but I am curious about the 'football commentary' - since it's not in your RPG post, would you please post it here for our enjoyment? Please?!
Thenamir, one important question for the trip to Ost-in-Edhil - how far is it and approximately how long will it take us to get there? While I'm asking - just where are we?? I'm not sure how to carry on, though assuming we won't have to battle constantly on our way...
This is so much fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-13-2002, 08:58 AM   #284
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Estelyn -- back when Gilthalion was leading us a bit more closely, Arenia was instructed to say that the trip North might take as long as 30 days, since we had no mounts and some were wounded. However, Telefax, the half-brother of Shadowfax, made the journey there and back (at top speed) in a mere 2 days. So it will depend (as all things do in an RPG) on events and circumstances, but it may take some time before we arrive.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #285
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Thenamir, I thought Telefax went to the Ranger camp - is that the same location as the ruined city? I thought not!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-13-2002, 11:24 AM   #286
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

You haven't read far enough -- Telefax turned and came back to his master some time ago...he stayed at the Ranger camp just long enough for the rangers to place a few items in his saddlebag (a map, among other things) before he raced back to where Kalohern was.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:45 AM   #287
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Err Thenamir, I think when you said north you meant the ranger camp, Esty was thinking Ost-in-edhil
Old 09-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #288
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Will anyone pick up the part of Ulfwine? He is still wandering lost in the forest after the Battle of Fire. Unless we decide to make him an unfortunate casualty, of whom no more is found out...unless perhaps the Warg were to discover his body...
Old 09-13-2002, 12:46 PM   #289
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

I'm a little confused at the moment:

Estyln seems to want to proceed north without linking up with anyone else.

Thenamir seems to want to go find his wounded friend.

Or perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression.

Best of luck to you all!

Ransom
Old 09-13-2002, 12:53 PM   #290
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Pipe

Patience Rimbaud, we've had Ulfwine playerless for almost a year now. If we can wait that long I'm sure we can wait a few more days. I could take him but I had rather hoped Kate could take care of it.

Ransom, I think you did get the wrong impression. I'm sure loose ends will be tied up soon.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:04 PM   #291
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ransom, you misunderstood my intentions - the message to Thenamir was that he need not seek Taradan - he is in good hands and the healing will take too much time for him to join the group. Can you please edit your post so that Volkmar reassures Thenamir and they seek to rejoin the rest of the group? Taradan will not be meeting the others till Ost-in-Edhil, I think. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2002, 01:09 PM   #292
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Pipe

There seems to be a good bit of confusion going on here. With all of the high quality posters joining the rpg the amount og communication needs to increase also. It might be a good idea to meet in a chat room and hammer out the details of this rpg.

Any suggestions for a time?
Old 09-13-2002, 01:21 PM   #293
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

My appologies. The post has been changed. Now Volkmar and Thenamir are (hopefully) going to link up with everyone else while drawing the enemies away from the injured Taradin & co.

I'm free tonight and most of tommorrow (EDT).

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 09-13-2002, 02:01 PM   #294
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

OK, just so we all know what's happening, here's the immediate plans for the next couple of posts.

(1) Dwarin & Co. are going to stay put on Elwood's advice so that...

(2) Elwood and the Warg can track down Thenamir and Volkmar and...

(3) lead them back to Dwarin & Co.

(4) Kate (onewhitetree) will post shortly using Gurthden and Leoden -- HANDS OFF these characters until she does so.

(5) I am taking over Ulfwine until a suitable player is found (hint hint, BW) He will probably plunder the dead body of Storwolos for money and/or weapons before rushing to rejoin the group, which he will do soon.

Posts within this framework thru the weekend. I will redouble my efforts to get the next direction from Gilthlaion. Good work, all, great posts!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:11 PM   #295
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

GreatWarg - before I post Elwood & the Warg's scene/activity, I want to give you a little room for your post. If you get a chance, go for it! Elwood has found you in the forest and is going to ask you for help in finding missing companions. The ones found will turn out to be Thenamir and our new member Volkmar/Ransom.

I look forward to your post.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:28 PM   #296
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

No problem Rimbaud. I already mentioned in an earlier post that Khelek noticed Thenamir was not with the group. PM to me what you're planning to do, or else I will have to figure it out for myself. And as any Elf knows, a Warg that has only enough wits to run from a fuzzie, probably can't figure out what an Elf has up his sleeve.

Everyone Else - Yes, a meeting in the chat room would be nice. However, with community service working in an animal shelter, I will have to find time in my busy schedule.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:34 PM   #297
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Pipe

Actually GW we got everything worked out in a chat already. Rimbaud can inform you on the details and how they pertain to you
Old 09-15-2002, 10:44 PM   #298
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Apologies for the delay over the weekend. There will be an Elwood post tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:37 AM   #299
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...meanwhile, back at the ranch...
New Taradan post is up!
Old 09-17-2002, 04:05 PM   #300
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Master Rimbaud,

I am puzzled. You are writing skillfully for Elwood, but your last post missed on two important areas.

One, you left the post hainging for a reply from Elwood, who is being played at present by yourself. I almost took up a reply to write as Elwood!

Secondly, your post follows the one in which Volkmar and I have already discovered Ulfwine, so there should be the three of us, unless you'd like me to rearrange the posts, which could be a bit trickier for editing this time.

Just wondering if Elwood might have lost an eye in the fight...
Old 09-18-2002, 07:57 AM   #301
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Thenamir and others - my apologies. I posted in haste. My last few posts, as I am sure has been noted, have been of considerably shorter length and of arguably inferior quality. These have been rushed jobs, I wish to participate but am pressed for time. The post will be corrected.

Thank you for your timely advice. Regarding my unusually muddled ending - I was interrupted and never found the time yesterday to complete. Bear with me; we deceased French Radicals work on a different timescale...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Edited: the above smiley resembles indeed the victim of a horrendously mistaken 'eye-ectomy'...

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 09-18-2002, 03:05 PM   #302
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

One last nit-pick, Rim:

Quote:
Thenamir followed his new guide Volkmar who moved with a speed and stealth which belied an obviously lame and stiff-braced leg.
I apologize if one of my previous posts was ambiguous, but Thenamir is not favoring his left leg -- that is, any more than he is favoring the rest of his sore and slightly scorched person. I was referring in that post to Volkmar, whose backstory indicated that his leg was injured sometime before and was permanently braced.
Quote:
Volkmer's left leg did not heal right. Despite the brace, he still walks with a limp. Running is much harder and more painful.
Just thought I'd clear that up. Other than that, the revision looks good!

Thenamir of Rohan
Member of the Birch John Society
"Preserving Wooden Privvys!!"
Old 09-18-2002, 03:05 PM   #303
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Thenamir,

Picnic at the Bonfire Glade starts this Wednesday in the Freestyle RPG Room at around 5ish EDT. I would enjoying seeing you and a goodly representation of the Rohanian contingent there!

Bethberry
Old 09-18-2002, 03:15 PM   #304
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Corrected, Thenamir. You are all lucky to have your posts viewed next to my extraordinary incompetencies; you can't fail but look like masters.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 06:14 AM   #305
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Great post, Thenamir!! You've picked the various threads up very nicely! Let's keep it moving! (Gone for two days - will post when I'm back.)
Old 09-20-2002, 09:30 AM   #306
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Thanks, Este!

To the rest, Thenamir and his group are rejoining the rest near to sunset. That gives us some time (story wise) to make camp one more night. Before we move on northward, let's see if we can resolve any remaining issues that might lie between characters -- a good chance for some character development, show a bit more of your character to the reader than they have seen. Try to favor interaction with other characters, rather than narrative exposition, to open up some new threads we can explore while we travel.

I was of the mind that once we got moving again, I would write a post like, "And so after many days of uneventful hiking northward..." to get us nearer to our destination, but now I am not so sure. There are a couple of scenarios that I'd like to open up (of course, you'll have to wait to find out what they are) that will involve Saruman continuing to oppose us, but in different ways -- less battle, more cunning and deviousness. I'll try to write them into the story as we proceed - just react to them the way your character would.

The only thing giving me trouble at this point is giving Arenia a larger role so that Leighlei has somthin to post! Am I reading this wrong or is there a developing love interest between Arenia and Kalohern? that's a good start, but this is not (strictly) a romance novel, and Arenia needs a role to play in our band. She is the most under-used character so far, and I don't want Leighlei to feel left out. Ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

As always, great posts everyone (even yours, Rimbaud!) and glad to see continued participation from all. Once Barrow-Wight jumps in, that should make things more interesting as well. Have a great weekend everyone! I'm looking forward to the Home-Improvement-Weekend-From-Hades, Part Six this weekend, but I'll check in often. Keep up the good work!

Thenamir of Rohan
Life-Member of the Rohan Chiropractic Awareness League
"Keep your head held high! (It's good for our business)"
Old 09-20-2002, 01:05 PM   #307
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Old 09-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #308
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

New post up - I took some liberties to get us moving. If there was a time for the "they marched for several days" post, this would be it. Leighlei, if you are reading, as Thenamir says, do feel free to post for your character. I am sorry that she has been a little neglected. A conversation with Kalohern would be great.

Hope to see some posts today/this week!

~Rimbaud
Rohan Polo Squad
Old 09-24-2002, 01:57 PM   #309
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

New Taradan post is up. Thenamir, I need some information on our approximate location, so I can get Taradan moving somehow. One possibility would be a river, with Andros rowing while he continues to rest. How about it?
Old 09-30-2002, 07:24 PM   #310
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Sorry my OPs and Chat-WIghts and Moderators! Very busy with community service. I should hope that you didn't move along too fast for this poor Warg to keep up? I'll post as soon as I'm done reading your bazillion or so new posts.

GreatWarg
Rohan Rescue Squad
Old 10-08-2002, 05:23 AM   #311
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

About a month ago, Thenamir said to me:

Quote:
As a result, we have a number of Non-player characters who could use a good writer. If you are interested, please let me know!
Well, my reading of this has been delayed because of AAwtK, but I have now read this far enough along to know that I would very much like to write with such a superb crew. Can I join? Would you want me to pick up one of the characters Shieldmaiden mentioned or create my own? I plan on reading through very carefully and slowly, making notes about who is which character, to get a sense of what I could contribute.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Bethberry
Old 10-08-2002, 08:29 AM   #312
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

*Estelyn waves* Here, here! It would be great to have you on board, Bethberry! Not that this RPG is moving much at the moment, but do not fear - it appears to be immortal, even if it's not about elves!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:08 AM   #313
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Please, Bb, it would be marvellous were you to join us.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #314
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

VERY VERY SORRY! New post to come soon! Saruman is not finished trying to stop us yet.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:01 PM   #315
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thank you, Estelyn and Rimbaud, for your welcomes, but, um, do I have Thenamir's formal okay? And if so, who do I play? And do I submit anything to Thenamir before posting?

Bethberry

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-08-2002, 06:27 PM   #316
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* A Cloaked Guest enters encircled in rising pipeweed smoke *

Greetings Thenamir:

Is there room for one more? I too would like to join this fine RPG, and would consider it an honor and a privilege to be in such good company.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 10-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #317
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

[Thenamir looks askance at the smoke-wreathed wizard's visage]

Although it may seem presumptuous to ask a wizard for his credentials, I'd like to see some of your RP posts before I admit you to our august company. If you have done any posting in other RPG threads, let me know which ones. If your writing is as good as your entrance, then you are most welcome.

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 10-08-2002, 07:40 PM   #318
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Thenamir:

I am the originator and threadmaster of the On Patrol RPG, which is now in the process of being archived.

If you like, I can pick out one or two of my favorite posts from that RPG and send them to you via PM.

Also, if you wish, I will gladly send you via PM copies of posts I've made from a long-running RPG from another Tolkien forum.

As for Bethberry, I assume you're well acquainted with her worth already, and therefore I hope you will duly accept her.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #319
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

That's good enough for me. On Patrol, though I have not read it due to my time constraints, was recommended to me by someone whose opinions I respect as one of the better RPGs on the Forum at that time.

So, where to go from here: read up if you have not already, both the RPG and the discussion -- not too onerous a task, sionce the RP is only a mere 5 pages in length at the moment. Then post here with suggestions on whether you wish to take over an existing character who is not already being played, or enter as a new character. Of the current cast, I believe Borleg, Smrtan, Ulfwine, and one or two others are available. Let me know, and we'll work you in one way or another!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:08 PM   #320
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

I would be happy with either Borleg or Ulfwine ... * bows * that is, if you would like me to enter the RPG right away. I also appreciate your offer to allow me to create a new character ... this I can do, but it would take some thinking over.

As for Bethberry, she was a major reason for the success of On Patrol ...

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]