Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2002, 07:41 AM   #281
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

The traveler turns at the shout, hand shooting to the hilt of his sword. He sees a small crowd gathering around what seems to be a Hobbit., and hears something about “wargs” He also notices a woman whose stance indicates she was approaching him, though she is looking in the direction of the crowd. He notices that she has her hand on her sword as well.

He leans back, resting his back against the bar. He releases his grip on his sword and places his hands together, his left hand playing with a silver ring on his right. The ring is fairly large, and has a dark red jewel. He keeps watching the crowd hoping to hear more about the “wargs”
Old 12-11-2002, 08:38 AM   #282
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Quick! Some smelling salts to calm her down, Master Dwarin!" Sarah shouted as she ran to the corner where the hobbit was talking about "wargs" nervously.
"Give her some air! Please spread out." another woman said to the people gathering around the nervous creature.

Others were too drowsy to care, while those who were more quick and brave already had their swords unsheathed ready to battle the "wargs", eventhough the foul creatures weren't there yet. But most people were nervous and asking questions all at the same time, "Where?!", "Did they bite you??", "What do they want??!".

Though the inn was getting hotter with the new danger, Sarah noticed a male hobbit who seems to be always drunk and it also seems he did not know what was going on.
"Another pint, Sir Dwarin!" the hobbit laughed like all drunk men do.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 12-11-2002, 10:50 AM   #283
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen could hear alot of noise coming from behind her, mention of 'wargs' whatever they were! But her senses told her not to turn or get involved. She didn't know why, these people seemed friendly enough but at the mention of wargs...Yes there it was again, everyone had run over and tightened their grip on their swords.

"Excuse me, I am new around here, could I possible have a drink of water." whispered Elwen in the direction of the bar keeper but he paid her little attention, he was busy running around with smelling salts. Elwen could smell them even across the room, they smelt of summers long past.

Elwen didn't want to walk back to the corner of the room empty handed, but she also didn't want to walk to the crowd over the other side. Elwen chose an empty bar stool and seat there waiting for the bar keeper to return, he wouldn't be long. While she waited she absent-mindedly started to play with her hair, twisting small sections around her finger and laughing quietly to herself as her light spilled through illuminating her hair and making the white gems glow more brightly.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:39 AM   #284
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Airerūthiel retreats to her corner once again, only stopping to obtain another pint of ale. The talk of wargs disturbs her, bringing back the painful memories of that fateful night when she was just ten years old, although it seems like a lifetime ago. Her hand strays to the hilt of Minyacirith, her father's blade and the only trinket she carries to remind herself of her past.

On her way back to her seat, she realises that she did not tell the maiden who spoke the Elven tongue her name. She notices that the young woman sits alone at the bar, and feels sympathetic towards what appears to be a fellow Ranger after a fashion. As she reaches Elwen, she begins to speak to her.

"Forgive my impoliteness in not introducing myself, Elwen. They call me Airerūthiel, and I am a wanderer from the lands of the south. Like yourself, I am new to this place compared to most of those around you." She extends a weathered hand from beneath her slightly torn dark cloak and takes in the entire pub in one sweep. Taking another swig of her ale, she asks, "So what brings you to the Green Dragon?"
Old 12-11-2002, 11:51 AM   #285
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elwen snaps out of her thoughts to find a beautiful maiden sitting next to her.
"I'm sorry," smiled Elwen," i was miles away. Suliad and greetings,Airerūthiel." Elwen gave a nod.
"Ummm... I have journeyed from Mirkwood and before that Ithilien. I was seperated from my companions and am looking for a way to escape sorrow and grief. I find this middle earth strange, especial this pub, not long have i been on this..."

Elwen gasped, why was she telling this complete stranger about her history. Should she continue...?

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-11-2002, 12:39 PM   #286
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“STOP RUSHING ME, YOU NINNYHAMMER! I’M NOT ONE OF YOUR FILTHY SHEEP TO BE HERDED, YOU KNOW!”

All conversation stopped at the sound of the high, screeching voice outside the tavern. Dwarin, who had been rushing to serve the Elven lady, abruptly turned about and fortressed himself behind the bar, studiously polishing pewter mugs that already gleamed.

The little collie at Pio’s feet leapt up with a yelp and a growl and scampered behind the chair, peeking out from the safety of her Elven cloak, as if it’s magical properties of camouflage might aid him.

The door swung open with a thud, and the there appeared on the doorstep the tiniest Hobbit that Pio had ever seen. She may have been all of three feet tall when in her prime, but age had curved her spine and thrust her head forward in an attitude of eternal vigilance. Her face was a wrinkled and red as a winter apple, but her eyes were still sharp, bright, and all-seeing. She was dressed all in black widow’s weed, with a stiff, starched mop cap covering her thinning, but still curling hair. A stout cane, made from the branch of the hawthorn, with a shine silver handle and tip, preceded her into the room. Amaranthas Bolger had arrived.

She looked around the crowded inn, (worse for wear after the visit of the Wargs), and glared down the various patrons with a look of utter disdain. “Hmph!“, she sniffed. “That dwarf has certainly let the place go to seed. That’s what comes from selling good establishments to outsiders, instead of keeping them in the family where they belong! Dwarin, a goblet of your best wine! Local! And none of your slipping water in it, you bristly ol’ skinflint!”

Dwarin’s face turned as red as his adversary, but he swallowed any comments, knowing that his first volley would only lead to even more aggressive counter-attack, at even higher decimals. He poured the goblet and silently signaled Parin to carry it to the table.

Elfred led the old hobbit over to the table, and said in a loud, clear voice, “Grandmama Amaranthas, this is the Elven lady I have told you about! She would dearly love to hear from you some of your tales of the old days!”

“DON’T SHOUT, CHUCKLEHEAD! I CAN HEAR YOU PERFECTLY WELL!” Amaranthas looked up at Pio and stated without preamble “So, come to hear my tales of “Mad Cami“, have you? Knew her, I suppose. Oh, don’t look so surprised . Stands to reason. She was always one to take off with the likes of Elves and those Wild Northern Men, instead of staying at home as any decent Hobbit lass would. I’ve heard the tales of Miss Goodchilde my entire life, and can only be thankful that she was no blood kin to ME, else us Bolgers might all be taking off into the Wilderness like those Mad Baggins or Goodchildes. “

Amaranthas took a seat in the comfy nook lately vacated be Elfred, and scanned the assortment of pastries laid out on the table with a sharp, bird-like tilt of the head, before selecting one and popping it her mouth. She washed it down with a long draw of the wine, wiped her lips on a lace hankerchief she pulled from her sleeve, and eyeing the plate again, said, “Well, speak up! What would you like to know?“

Anything you can tell me at all, Amaranthas…”
Old 12-11-2002, 12:42 PM   #287
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(O.O.C. - The following post was written by Child of the Seventh Age)

Amarantha leaned surreptitiously towards Piosenniel, cupping her hand over her mouth and whispering to the Elf. "I got a heap o' stories, maam, about Mistress Cami. Passed down from my great grandmum. And she got 'em from her great grandmum. Only we like to keep them in the family, if you see what I mean."

Then Amarantha sat back and spoke a bit louder. Not much louder, but just enough for Piosenniel to hear if she strained her ears.

"You see, Mistress Cami was a bit strange. Always talking to fairies and wizards she was, and even creatures queerer than that. You got to watch folk like that, especially those big fairies with all their airs. Up to no good, I say. There's tales I've heard that would make your heart stop about some of the scraps she and her young 'uns got into there in the forest, the one they called Greenwood. Especially the one they called Gamba. A boatload of trouble he was, but that's a tale for another day."

"Not that any of the hobbits would complain to her face. Not a one! She and her daughter Rose were the best healers in the vale, and folks was always coming to them for help. A Harfoot she was, nice and brown, but even the Fallohides came begging for her to make them well." At the thought of those Fallohide masters coming to Mistress Cami, Aramantha's face broke into a wide toothless grin.

I've heard tell the poor ones she took care of without charging a farthing, but the ones with money, she made sure to get her fair share. She wouldn't take no guff from anybody, no matter who they were."

"Never married as far as I know. Had suitors aplenty I've been told but slammed the door in their faces. Don't know why. But she always took care of her little 'uns, and when they got bigger helped with the grandbabies too."

"They say she was mighty busy learning the little ones their letter and taking the bigger lads and lasses to train them with herbs and healing lore. When she got older, she was tuckered out, I think. And the thing that took it out of her was seeing the hobbit clans split up and go their separate ways. She said it was plumb stupid to have hobbits going off like that in twenty different directions. They'd never make it to where they were supposed to go. But nobody listened to her common sense. You know how it is when a Man gets set in his way, and a stupid way it is, too, sometimes!"

"So she packed her bags and said goodbye to all her kin, and went off somewhere over the mountain by herself. Said there were things she'd been putting off too long. And it was real important. Something about a promise left undone. Never came back…. never came back. Just disappeared Some folks say the wizards got the fairies to take her in. Me, I think those fairies liked her so much they spirited her off to dance under the hills. Could be dancin' still today as far as I know. Like I said, she was real strange."

"Does that give you what you want, maam?" Piosenniel looked up and smiled sadly over at Aramantha. "You've been very helpful, but I wonder if you'd try and remember just one more thing."

"Did Mistress Cami ever speak of a people who changed shapes? Are there any stories about that?"

Aramantha looked uncomfortable and stared up at the roof beams. It seemed as if she was hoping that Piosenniel would disappear.

She shook her head. "We don't like to talk about that. It just ain't natural. Even the faries don't do that. But I'll admit, Mistress Cami had a thing about those strange folk. Some whispers she had magic words that would make the strange folk come and talk to her. Don't know nothing about that though."

"Is that all?" probed the Elf, fixing a steady eye on her.

Aramantha shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Maybe one other thing. She had these wizards as friends. The two of them would pop in and out every now and then. The grey one, everybody said was real smart, and Mistress Cami liked him lots."

"Only lots of times, the grey one was busy and the brown one came instead. Mistress Cami used to get plenty mad at him. She'd start throwing dishes and things. She'd glare at him real bad and say the only reason she even let him be around was for the sake of an old, dear friend. Something about him having a special friendship with those unnatural people who keep changin' themselves around. And why didn't he have the sense to tell Mistress Cami that just five minutes before, and he would have saved them all a lot of trouble. And how it would catch up to him one day."

"Don't know what Mistress Cami meant by all that. Never understood a bit of it at all. But great grandmum made me repeat it word for word. Maybe it would be important some day."

"That's about it for now. I got other stories. 'Bout how her kids used to battle the spiders and how she shot an Orc or two with her bow but we'll let those wait for another day."

Piosenniel fixed her eyes on Granny, then leaned over and kissed her on her scraggly curls. "You've helped me more than you could possibly know."
Old 12-11-2002, 12:43 PM   #288
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb looks around and sighs
"I wonder what my friends are doing?"
She looks over to the door and smiles.
"YUNA!" She gets up and goes over the the other woman.
"How are you? I havent seen you in forever! Come you must join me and my companions for a drink!"
She goes over to the table and sits down next Fin agan.
"Please join us!"

**Sorry its so short But I am settign up a friend to join!**

Celebmornie
Old 12-11-2002, 12:46 PM   #289
DreamKeeper

Silmaril

Yuna Walks In Spotting Celeb. Celeb!!! I Haven't Talked To You For Forever!! So Could You Introduce Me to Some Friends? I Hardly Know Anyone And I feel A Little Strange In Here.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #290
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin's request for food and ale was interrupted by a loud commotion. A female hobbit was screaming near the back of the tavern - something about wargs! An involuntary shudder ran down Deorlin's back. He hadn't yet had the misfortune to come face to face, or sword to sword, with any of the foul creatures. But he had heard tales that would make a man's hair stand on end. Still . . . it seemed unlikely that such fell beasts should have made their way into the peace of the Shire!

The hobbit was surrounded by concerned and curious onlookers. Deorlin rose from his stool, but there seemed nothing he could do for the moment, until more coherent information was to be had from the near hysterical halfling.

As most of the inn staff seemed preoccupied with calming the little one, Deorlin decided that he would best use his time in seeing to his horse, Arad. He had intended to tend to him anyway, while he waited for his food. Arad had carried him many a mile through his journeys lately, and was his chief, and ususally only, companion. Deorlin knew that it was not only wise and fair to put his horse's needs on par with his own, it was absolutley necessary, if his wished to continue his trip and complete the task given to him so many months ago.

Slipping through the crowd and out the door, he untethered Arad and led him to the back of the inn, hoping to find a stable or barn and perhaps some feed and water. He would settle up with the innkeeper later when all the uproar had quieted down. He noticed another traveller who was seeing to his own beast, and Deorlin inclined his head politley, asking "Know you whether or not this inn can provide food and shelter for horse as well as man? We've travelled far this day and I'd say Arad here would enjoy a good nosebag of grain as much as I would a hot bowl of stew." He patted the horse's neck and extended his hand in friendship. "I am Deorlin, of Rohan, a stranger to these parts."
Old 12-11-2002, 12:59 PM   #291
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Amaranthas old eyes went wide at the kiss on the head, and Elfred thought for a moment that the old woman would launch a massive attack at such "liberties". But instead, the woman's face unaccountably softened. It was the first sign of affection anyone had offered her in many, many years.

"There, there," she muttered, fumbling with the silver handle of her cane. "Well, I'm glad you liked my tales, and you seem to be a nice enough little thing, despite your wild ways."

The little hobbit seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, her gnarled old hands stroking the side of the goblet as a peaceful silence settled round the table. Then, with a sigh she reached into the pocket of her long black skirt and pulled out a shining, silver locket with a deep green stone . Holding it up to the light, she let the necklace twirl and wink in the candlelight before setting it on the table.
"Recognize it, do you?" she asked quietly, "It's been passed down, mother to daughter, through the ages. My own Celedine should have had it, but then..." She gazed up at Elfred, now sitting rapted on a bench beside the table. The story had held him enthralled. "Well, I suppose this should go to that daughter of yours off in Michel Delving: my grandchild."

"You have a new great-grandchild as well, Amaranthas." said Elfred with a quiet smile.

"Do I now? Well, let's wet the baby's head, shall we?" And with that she raised her glass to the two at the table.

Pio took up the locket, remembering that long ago day when it had been bestowed on her friend. To see it had survived through the ages, when so many others had not, brought tears to her eyes.

"There, there, dearie," Amaranthas said again, patting the ageless Elven hand with her own wrinkled, spotted palm. "I'll let you in on a little secret, Lady Pio," she leaned forward to whisper in the pointed ear, "I just about loved all those tales of Cami when I was growing up. If I was younger, and living in those times, I do believe I would have joined her on her adventures, myself."

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-11-2002, 01:32 PM   #292
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At this, Parin returned to the table where the little shrunken woman and the lady Pio sat. She had hung back while they had been deep in conversation, which looked both thought-provoking and emotion-invoking to the lady Piosenniel. But now, by all appearances, they had drifted into lighter conversation. And Parin felt it her duty to offer more refreshment.

"My lady Pio, would you care for anything more at this time? I was able to find the honeyed mead you requested, and may I recommend the steak-and-kidney pie for your companion? I just pulled it out of the oven," flushed with pride,"I bustled Dwarin out of the way just long enough to bake it myself! Or may I simple refill your wine?"

Parin looked steadily at Pio as she awaited an answer, but she tingled with the desire to peer at the old woman nearby. She wondered what business an elf could have with such a curious creature....
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-11-2002, 01:58 PM   #293
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Sting

The traveler continues to watch the commotion of the Inn from his seat. He puts some coins on the bar and asks Dwarin for another glass of water. Dwarin nods to him and comes back with the glass. The traveler is still interested to hear of this “warg” business, but he thinks it is not his place to take charge and demand information. He’ll let the locals tend to the locals and he’ll help if anyone asks, or he thinks he is needed.

He sips at his water as he surveys the crowd once more. His eyes fall upon the woman in red, who was approaching him until the Hobbit girl had burst into the Inn. He wonders what she wants, or wanted with him, as he continues to play with the ring on his finger.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:16 PM   #294
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin smiled as Celeb returned to the table with yet another of her elven friends. Yuna blushed as Fin smiled at her and sat.
"Hello, my dear, I am Fin, fgood friend of Celeb and Kimmy, and hopefully a good friend of yours by the end of tonight." He inclined his head and the new elf maid blushed even more.
"It is nice to make your aquaintance, Fin!" she said.

Fin rose and moved over to the bar to get more drinks for his friends. While he was their he noticed a new vpatron of the Dragon and enquired as to who he was.

"My name is Derakis," the newcomer said.
"Well, friend come and sit with us," Fin suggested, pointing to his table, where Celeb, Kimmy, Yuna and Donlammenion now sat.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:48 PM   #295
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Derakis thinks for a moment, then shakes his head. “Thank you for your offer Fin, but I was just about to see someone. Another time.” With a nod to Fin, he takes his water and walks over to the woman in red. “Hello, my name is Derakis. I noticed your walking over to me. What is it you wanted?”
Old 12-11-2002, 03:05 PM   #296
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Carnil laughs and looks at Eurwen "I would love to hear the story." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 03:29 PM   #297
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Amron rinsed the last dish, muttering in a low voice "me Amron, one of the high familys of umbar, washing dishes" he shook his head. He had heard the sniggers of the others in the common room at his miss fortune.
Though he wouldnt admit it, he was quite intimideted by the Barrow wright. "A story he says, a tale?" he said in a slightly rased voice so the few in the kitchen could hear him,"How about the one where the weather beaten traveler seeking friendship and good ale is made to wash plates!"
He walked out into the common room every one hide there smiles at the proud mans missfortune. The fraze "pride comes befor a fall" was running threw manny a hobbits head.Amron looked over at the wright who had looked up from his wrightings "A lesson well lernt, master wright" he said with a bow.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]
Old 12-11-2002, 03:41 PM   #298
Airerūthiel
Wight

1420!

Airerūthiel gives a wordless nod of understanding. "You do not have to say more than you wish to. We are all entitled to our secrets, and the choice of what we reveal and what we hide from those we do not know is our own.

"It has been desirable to make your acquaintance, Elwen. Mayhap we shall talk again sometime, but now I need to step outside. There is something I must consider regarding my next move in this game we spend our lives playing." Her eyes dart towards the lone traveller a little further along the bar; she knows not his name but distinctly remembers his order of bread and water not long before. "Anar caluva tielyanna, Elwen. Namariė."

Airerūthiel then makes her way towards the door, shaking her head silently beneath her hood. She senses she might have a new friend, an ally. But for some reason, she cannot take the lies that have kept her true self hidden from Middle-earth and its inhabitants. As she leaves, a hobbit seated at the table nearest to the door notices a green shield with the image of a white horse upon it on her scabbard...

~*~*~*~*~

The night is a bitterly cold contrast to the warmth of the pub, but the deep blue sky buttoned down with pinpricks of starlight like a soft velvet cloak offers comfort to the Ranger. She pulls back her hood to reveal a sweet face that displays signs of intelligence and an honest loyalty, but also a stubborn pride and a sarcastic tongue. Her long straight black hair glints blue when it catches the inn's porchlights, and she has eyes that glow like emeralds in the relative darkness.

A compliment. A friendly conversation. Something that went beyond looks of unease and contempt and the words, "Another ale, please." Airerūthiel could not remember the last time she had actually genuinely talked to someone; indeed it may have been...no, before that night. That night when evil came to slay her family and stole her world away. That night when she became who she was. That night when her scabbard was stained with the blood of her mother, who had died trying to save her daughter.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #299
DreamKeeper

Silmaril

Yuna Smiles. So fin how are you? i've just got back from an adventure. i've been from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains and back. i love just going and seeing the sights of middle earth, but yet i have to say i get lonely.

Yuna puts her hood down and fixes her hair. its awfully cold in here. i think i'm going to go over and get a drink.

Yuna Walks Over and flirts with the bartender. What kind of drinks do you serve? i'm new here. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #300
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Eruwen followed Carnil's remark with laughter. "Alright, then, you shall here it." Eruwen answered. "A few weeks ago I was out in the woods of Mirkwood searching for a quiet place to rest. On my way back home, I noticed a stranger at my house. Quite terrified and not sure what to do, I rushed over to a window on the side. As I looked over the window-sill to see what was going on, I saw my family murdered before my very eyes."

Eruwen took another drink from from her mug. "I am now on a journey to find my grandmother," she said. "I am hoping she will be able to help me find out who did this and why. It is somewhat a sort of revenge."

Carnil looked up with a strange shock on her face. "I want to fight them." said Eruwen. "I know I don't look like much of a fighter, but I do know some. My father taught me archery and swordfighting throughout my life. I can fight, and I want to find the people who did this---and I want to finish what they started just weeks ago."

Eruwen had a sense of anger in her eyes. One could tell the vengence she had in her heart just by looking at her. She took another drink of Ale and smiled at Carnil. "There are many people here, aren't there? All of them with so many different stories and backgrounds. It's amazing!"
Old 12-11-2002, 05:37 PM   #301
Belin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Belin stared in astonishment at Amron, Findorfin, Carnil, and Derakis. The words of the Barrow-Wight were still ringing through her mind, and the dishwater was still dripping from the hands of Amron. Never above quoting words that had been seriously set forth in hopes of helping, she stood up on the raised hearth and repeated what he had said:

Quote:
Here in the Green Dragon, the idea is not to converse with the other guests, but to graphically describe yourself, your actions, and your surroundings. Kind of like a book.
"We meet here because we are adventures with tales to tell. We meet here because we have a love of writing and we have ourselves to offer to new adventures. We do not meet here to wash dishes, although there are indeed some left. Listen to the speech of others, and learn what you may." She handed out featherdusters, sure that they'd come in handy soon.

She looked around, pausing for everyone's attention. She had an announcement to make, and wanted to make sure that it was heard by all.

"LISTEN!" she cried. "A new Rule has been written! It is now asked that signatures not be included in threads, so please uncheck the "show signature" box when you post in an RPG. Those who read carefully enough to be distracted by the quotes you would otherwise provide will thank you. And you'll still be using them elsewhere, of course."

She stepped down quickly, and moved off toward the stairs, away from the murmuring crowd.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 12-11-2002, 07:01 PM   #302
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Adonia walked silently towards the worn form of The Green Dragon. It's illuminated windows warmed the trodden streets that she walked upon and gave off a sense of closure. She hoped to find rest there, she had been fleeing from a pack of wargs all night. Seeing a pool of blood on the doorstep, Adonia feared the worst might be inside. Pushing aside the door she sighed with relief, it was all that she would expect to find here. Pushing through the crowd she collapsed onto a bench in the back. As she pulled down the hood of her cloak, some stares came with it. She was no hobbit, elf, or man, she was an enchantress from far away. Her ice cold eyes met the stares whose owners quickly turned away, not wanting any trouble that night...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:08 PM   #303
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Or may I simply refill your wine?’ Someone was speaking to her, asking her a question. ‘Pardon, I did not hear you’, she said, shaking herself mentally back to The Green Dragon. Parin repeated herself, and still distracted Pio asked her to bring the mead, a small pitcher of chilled wine, and, yes, the steak-and-kidney pie she had baked – just two plates, for Elfred and Amaranthas.

The necklace set with a piece of green chalcedony, lay in a small heap by Elfred’s hand, as he spoke with Amaranthas. Unthinking, Pio reached for it, wanting somehow to connect with her old friend. The chain and stone were cool against the skin of her hand, and the stone captured the soft light from the room that leaped out again from within. Cradling it between her thumb and first finger, she felt its smoothness. How many times had she seen Cami’s hand drift to it as it hung about her neck, her fingers rubbing the memories and promises to life. A shining hope from Ondolindė, round the neck of a small hobbit, herself the hope of times to come. Tears trembled on the dark lashes of the Elf, and fell unheeded on the table.

Eyes now dry, she looked up to see Amaranthas looking closely at her. ‘You’re that Elf, I’ll wager. The one she said would come looking to find her. Family always thought she was cracked whenever she mentioned that.’ Pio smiled at her, and said nothing. The wizened Hobbit rapped her cane smartly on the floor beside her. ‘I always thought there might be a kernel of truth to that.’ She rattled her cup on the table, drawing Elfred’s attention, and pointed at the mead. ‘She wasn’t crazy, you know. Leastways not any crazier than I am.’ Elfred wisely looked down at his plate and attacked it with focused vigor.

Pio placed the necklace, reluctantly, once again by Elfred. ‘Don’t you worry, Miz Pio.’ said Amaranthas, as if she had read the thoughts in the Elf’s mind. ‘I’ll get over there to see my grand-daughter and get them stories passed along to her. And, life willing, I’ll be around yet to get them same seeds planted in her daughter.’ Her wise old face softened, and she patted the hand of the Elf once again. ‘She won’t be forgotten, not while I’ve got blood running through these dried up old veins.’

Amaranthas raised her cup to Pio, who did the same in turn. Both women drained them at one swallow and slammed them on the table top. Elfred startled at the noise, but kept silent at the perceived agreement. He poured the two another round of mead, taking one for himself.

‘One thing, though, I’ve been wondering ever since I came in here.’ said Amaranthas, leaning forward in the chair, ‘though perhaps it’s dead by now.’ Pio leaned forward, her forehead almost touching that of the Hobbit. ‘And what is that, my dear Amaranthas? I will answer as I can.’

‘It’s about that pet of yours – the one you never named . . . the one she always mentioned in the same breath with you. I was sure you would have it with you if I ever saw you.’ Pio’s brow furrowed. ‘Pet?’

The old Hobbit grinned a toothless grin, and winked knowingly at the Pio. ‘Don’t play coy with me, Elf! You know the one I’m talking about. That flighty one . . . the bird . . .’

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-12-2002, 03:37 PM   #304
Airerūthiel
Wight

1420!

Time slips by slowly, but it does not seem as though there is any change in the world outside the Green Dragon. Airerūthiel knows she cannot face the singing and jolity that awaits her on the other side of the door, but she also knows that if she stays out here much longer the demons of her past will slowly start to choke any positive thoughts she may ever have.

There is a pool of blood on the step near where she sits, and she stands up abruptly upon noticing it, aware that it will bring back the nightmares she has not been able to hide from for the last five years. She hears the sound of horses whinnying in the nearby stables, and she goes to see what the disturbance is.

There is nothing wrong; it is the typical 'conversation' that occurs between horses, strangers or from the same stable, at odd hours of the night. She whispers to them in the Ancient Tongue, "Roccor, sérė." Suddenly she hears footsteps echoing in the courtyard, and heavy breathing behind her, and she instinctively prepares her bow and arrow to shoot.

"Who goes there?" an unrecognisable voice shouts from the darkness.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:04 PM   #305
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

The maid had left and Elwen was alone once more. She sighed, a deep sigh start from the heart. The light from her ring caught her attention but she quickly hid it beneath folds of shimmering white shutting out the memories it stirred up inside her. Elwen tapped her fingers on the worn bar top. Flicking her hair out of her face she stood up, she walked across the wooden floor boards making on sound and retrieved her elven grey cloak. Swinging silently around herself, once more hidding the light, Elwen slipped out of the crowded pub.

How cool the gentle breeze felt on her face. Elwen jumped down the last step and walked a short way down the path. A small patch of grass was off on the left hand side of the path on to this Elwen stepped removing her delicate silver shoes. Elwen stepped lightly making no imprint on the soft grass.

From the folds of her cloak Elwen produced a silver flute. Silm and delicate, with vines and leaves twirling around it.Elwen placed the flute to her lips and began a slow tune. Her feet began to dance, her hair and dress sparkling with light. But suddenly she stopped. Out here there was no one to hear the music, and music always demanded to be heard. Elwen turned swiftly, replacing her shoes as she went. The pub was to silent it needed song and dance.

Elwen stopped before the old door, listening once more to the calm wind whispering through the trees. Elwen bowed her head and pushed the door open.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-12-2002, 06:04 PM   #306
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Carnil looks at Eurwen and says "That must have been painful to see you family murdered before you eyes like that i truly understand you anger and your grief" Carnil takes a look around "Yes people all around here are very different." Carnil turns back facing Eurwen "You will find your grandmother of this i am sure." Carnil gets a sad expression on her face and continues speaking "My parents were killed by Orcs tis only my brother Calaglin and i left he is thinking of going to the Grey Havens but i do not want him to leave there is nothing i can do the choice is his."
Old 12-12-2002, 06:12 PM   #307
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Valeria, Witch of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Sting

Valeria starts in surprise as the stranger from the bar approaches her. Her offers her his name and asks what it was she wanted. Her eyes fall suddenly to his hand where she sees a simple silver ring with a red stone, veyr like the one she herself wore.
"I am called Valeria," she replies after a moment's hesitation. "I confess I wished to speak with you earlier because you seemed to me to be a warrior who may know some of what goes on out in the world beyond this inn." She makes a sweeping gesture with her right hand, the light from the fire making the red of the gem in her ring flare. "Would you care to talk a while with me?" she asks. "There's a table just there that we could use and..." She sighs. "It has been long since I had time to relax in a place like this. I would appreciate the company, if you'd care to join me."
Old 12-12-2002, 07:01 PM   #308
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Amron had taken up his seat in the dark corner of the common room once again, one thing he did like about this place was that things tent to be forgiven and forgotten very quickly.

He filled his pipe with what was left of his weed and lit up. Looking around slowly he seen the witch talking with a man he had not seen in these parts before, all seemed well and he took a long draw from his pipe "nothing better than good pipe weed he thort to him self.

He rose to his feet, and walked to the bar passing fin with a friendly nod. "Ale if you please Dwarin" he said with a smile(he was starting to get in to the habbit of being friendly to others) "one moment sir" came the reply, he looked over at Valeria and the new comer again. takeing his drink he walked over to them, with a nod he said "I dont think i have introduced my self" he said to the witch and rested this ale on a near by table, "I am Amron of Umbar at your service" with that he gave a slight nod then ternd to the stranger "and you are sir?" he took a draw from his pipe and waited for a reply.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:02 PM   #309
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was a crisp tinge in the air as Sadbh found herself at the foot of the small inn. Her horse had an exhausted droop to its neck and a slow plod of a walk. She dismounted and unslung the wool pack off the back of her horse. Her russet sleeve snapped as she gently took the horse's reigns and led it to the stables which were fairly visible from the side of the inn. By simply touching it, she observed its weary nature and mumbled endearments to it in a speech long forgotten.

The inside of the stables was cool, yet one could feel the heat that radiated from the horses' bodies as you often could on a cool night. She found a vacant stall and walked in, leading her horse behind her. The straw was clean, but the water was stale. She removed a water-treated cloth water 'skin' from her bag. It had been hard to find one she could use, for she was loathe to touch leather.

From the opposite end of the stable she heard a low man's voice. It was an accent she clearly remembered from her travels. After she had removed the tack from her poor horse's body, she walked slowly to the other end of the stable.

"Excuse me, sir. I heard your accent and wondered if your were from Rohan." She smiled at the long, yellow plait that hung down his back and reveled silently in her accuracy.

"You were right." He smiled briefly.

"Would you look at my horse? He's been acting off as of late. He's listless and slim. I'm from Dale, so no horseman. Or woman." She added, smiling slightly.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:36 PM   #310
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin looked at the young woman with interest. He had just recently been in Dale and was much impressed with the courtesy and hospitality of the people there, although they tended to be somewhat grave compared to his own native countrymen. This One seemed grave indeed, and weary too. But perhaps that was on account of her horse's condition.

Intrigued, Deorlin replied, "Well, I'm no expert myself when it comes to horse ailments, but I'm more than happy to take a look and give you my opinion, for what it's worth." He smiled in a friendly way and the young woman smiled back, shyly. He turned Arad into the nearest loose box ,and followed the girl as she led him to the stall in which her horse stood, languidly, its head almost drooping to its knees. Running his strong, rough hand along the gelding's crest, Deorlin gently pulled the head upwards and pulled the lips back. Examing the gums, he noted dark spots, almost liver colored, around the teeth. His hand moved to the beast's eye and using his thumb to retract the ower eyelid, he noted the same dark brown coloring where normally a healthy pinkish tinge should be.

"Has he gone off his feed?" Deorlin asked the girl. "I think I might just know what's got into him - literally. Any chance that he's been into any walnuts lately?"

The girl looked quizzically at Deorlin and then at her mount.

"It's just a guess, mind you." Deorlin hurried to explain. "But walnuts are highly poisonous to horses, and often leave these tell tale blothches of brown on the gums and inner eyelids. See." He reopened the horse's mouth to show her. "I wish my uncle Daglan was here. He's the most knowledgable horse physic in the Westfold. By the way, I'm Deorlin. How did you know I was from Rohan?"
Old 12-13-2002, 09:08 AM   #311
Eruwen

Tolkien

"Oh my, Carnil." said Eruwen. "Then it seems we have both had a very strange adventure---and somewhat similar also."

Eruwen looked around the inn anxiously. "Uh, pardon me," she said. "I'm going outside for a little while, uh, it's a little warm in here."

Noticing that it was still quite cool in the inn, Carnil nodded her head slowely. Eruwen carried her mug of beer over to the bar and set it on the counter. Quickly, she walked outside.

When she stepped outside the inn, Eruwen sat down on a small stone wall and looked up at the stars. Memories of the recent past came back to mind. After a short time had past, she stood up and started to walk back in.

When Eruwen's hand reached the door, a rustle was heard in the bushes behind her. She turned around quickly with bow in hand ready to defend. Eruwen looked around frantically but no one was there. "Hmmmm," she tought to herself. "Maybe it was just the wind."

Eruwen walked back inside looking back to make sure nothing was behind her. Although she did not see anything, she had a strange feeling that someone was following her. She walked over to the bar and ordered some water. Quietly, she sat once again listening to the commotion all around her but not trying to make eye contact with anyone.

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 12-13-2002, 04:20 PM   #312
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Adonia awoke a few moments later from nodding off in her place. She wished the noise would stop, wanting peace she lept from her seat and pushed through the dense crowd, reaching for the door...
Suddenly she saw visions in her busy mind. A pack of wargs and wolves! Heading for the inn, she could feel their hot breath on her neck, their eyes searching the very depths of her soul. Then, Blood! Blood everywhere! The room was blood! Adonia new this kind of premonition very well, it was not the kind she would have liked.
"It will kill us all..." She whispered silently too herself. She knew she must tell someone, but who?
Old 12-14-2002, 07:29 AM   #313
Airerūthiel
Wight

1420!

Airerūthiel slung the bow over her shoulder and returned the arrow to her quiver. Her hand strayed instinctively to the hilt of Minyacirith, and she kept her bowed head covered as she tried to hide in the half-shadows cast by the stables.

A figure emerged before the soft warm glow of the porch lamps, and Airerūthiel tried to wake herself up from the dream she thought she had surely fallen into. This was an apparition from her past; she could not believe he was truly real after spending so long trying to push the memory to the back of her mind.

Laitalathion had shoulder-length red-gold hair that shone like a halo of flame in the hazy backlight, and his cerulean eyes had more than a hint of sapphire about them. Clad in traditional Elven garb and with a longbow slung over his shoulder, one could have mistaken him for one of that kind at a fairly insignificant distance.

"Can it be...?" His eyes travelled to the Ranger who stood in the shadow of the stables. He took two paces forward and then one back, muttering to himself, "No, it cannot be! The house of Rocconinquė were slain long years ago - and yet one survived." His eyes strayed to her stained scabbard, where the crest of one of the houses of Gondor was in plain view. "Shadow of my childhood, if you be real, come into the light!"

Pulling back her hood and maintaining the direct icy stare that positively blazed with a slowly seething anger, Airerūthiel walked towards her cousin. "Laitalathion." Her voice was as cold and bitter as Midwinter morn; flecks of spittle that dripped black poison rolled off her tongue as she enunciated every syllable of the name. "Clearly your memory of a face from your past is up to scratch with that of your Elvish grammar. You have not come to this inn for its excellent ale, although 'tis widely known in these parts, and you are not as fine a player as you believe yourself to be. So why are you here before me, when the last I knew was that you had ridden to the lands of the Fair Folk, our mothers' kind?"

"A pity it is that the assassins left you alive, when all you ever did in our young days was read and spend time alone," Laitalathion replied, a smug expression upon his face. "Now if only they had saved one of your fair sisters, who had no time for lessons and would never cease talking..."

"Whilst I must confess that I am no doubt relishing this conversation of reminiscence over our younger days in Gondor, I asked you a question and you did not answer." Airerūthiel still did not release her blade's hilt, but she did relax her grip. "Have the years since we last laid eyes on each other been so long that you have forgotten common courtesy?"

"Indeed I did go west, to Lothlórien and to Mirkwood," replied the young male half-Elf, "and later did I settle in Rivendell. Whilst there my desire to wander the land grew once more, and so late one night some months ago I took one of the white palfreys of Elrond's house and rode east to Edoras. My heart desired greatly to return to my homeland in Gondor, but alas! my family is exiled from that fair country.

"Finding no comfort in gossip and falsehoods, I rode west once again to seek the counsel of the Lady Galadriel. I knew nothing of this place they call the Shire, but the name of The Prancing Pony was known to me. So I set out for Bree and spent some nights in that village. Then two nights ago I heard someone hold forth the tale of the Rocconinquė.

"'They say one of that kin still lives, mind,' said a wizened old man in the corner, who I noticed frequented the inn but did not speak if he could help it. 'A Ranger she is, and she seeks revenge on the ones that slew her family before her eyes.' I had only been half listening to the tale, but this talk made me listen.

"'The talk is a female Ranger with the sign of the White Horse on her scabbard was seen in these parts only last night,' replied the barman. 'She was heading westwards, but where exactly I know not.' On hearing this I then took my leave and rode without stopping until I came upon this inn.

"But enough of my tales! Let us go inside and I shall see if the ale is as good as you say. Old acquaintances become new friends where the fire is warm and the ale flows free, and tonight is one for tales of old and new. Come, let us go into this inn. My horse is stabled, and you have no reason to draw your weapon. I offer the hand of friendship."

A spasm of anger passed swiftly over the maiden's face, and then she sheathed her blade. The two childhood companions made their way towards the heavy oak door and walked in, bringing a cold blast of wind with them and letting a wave of delicious heat out into the night. All heads except two turned for a moment to take stock of the two in the doorway as a silence like the grave fell, and then the chatter broke out again all at once.

As Laitalathion went to get two pints of ale, Airerūthiel scanned the crowd. Her eyes fell on the lone traveller she had noticed before, who was now seated at a corner table with the one called Valeria, another whose face dimly registered in her mind. She noticed that they both wore identical rings, set with blood-red stones, as she walked towards their table.

"Forgive me for interrupting your conversation, my friends, but there are no places left anywhere in this inn. My cousin Laitalathion and I have journeyed long and hard, and we are weary. May we sit here at your table?"
Old 12-14-2002, 08:29 AM   #314
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronūmė has been in the stables some time now and they were beginning to become crowded, not only with horses. He led his horse, Salixrana, back out to the open, he was no horse to be kept in a stables. They were good friends, Soronūmė's only friend after the day he never saw his brother Ithallion again.
Soronūmė made way back to the inn's common room. He had heard beuatiful singing and music moments previously but there was no sign of the player or singer now. There was however a fair maiden in the doorway of the Inn again.
"Standing in doorways again m'lady?" he questioned with a smile. The maiden turned to him. Soronūmė had heard her being called Elwen before, when she was sitting up at the bar when he left to attend to Salixrana.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:29 PM   #315
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Don’t play coy with me, Elf! You know the one I’m talking about. That flighty one . . . the bird . . .’

Pio bit back a smile as she heard the old Hobbit speak these words. What would Bird think of this! To be remembered as a favored pet! The Elf took a deep drink from her cup, covering her amusement at the thought. At length, she set the cup carefully back on the table and composed her face into some semblance of serious consideration.

‘The bird you speak of is still alive, Amaranthas. But these days, she does not travel well, preferring to keep to the comforts of her own home.’ Amaranthas nodded her head at the sageness of this approach to the elder years. ‘Let the world come to your doorstep.’ she thought to herself. ‘Though,’ continued Pio, ‘she can be occasionally enticed out when the mood hits her . . . the occasional dish of ale, for instance, down at the local.’

The old Hobbit flashed her toothless grin at that, and raised her cup to the missing bird. ‘Now there’s a creature to my liking!’ she chortled. ‘This bird of yours and I would have gotten along well together.’

The Elf, a grin spreading on her face, nodded her head in agreement. ‘Oh, yes, Amaranthas! You two would have been quite the pair!’

Pio called for another plate of savories to be brought to the table, and poured Amaranthas another cup of wine. When the old dear had downed it, washing down several of the tasty morsels along with it, Pio prodded her memory with another question.

‘You spoke earlier of one named Gamba. What can you tell me of him? How did he fare?’ She waited as the elder took in the questions, rolling them around in her mind much as she had rolled the savories on her tongue before swallowing them. ‘Is there family of his in these parts, by chance . . .?’
Old 12-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #316
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

"Yes, spoke Elwen quietly," I seem to be doing it alot this evening if it is indeed the same one. The time passes strangely in this place."

Elwen smiled to the man who had talked to her, gently tossing her hair away from her face. "I am Elwen, the star maiden, as my name implies. Greetings and well met. I heard you singing earlier, you had a most beautiful voice. I was about to play my flute for the company gathered but remembering your talent from earlier, I don't think I will. There was only one who could ever play this flute, he the master and I the pupil, but he is gone and I have only this to remember him by until I am reunited with him." Elwen held out the silver flute for the man to see, gently her fingers danced along the length of it tracing the swirls of vines and leaves.

"May I ask your name? I heard you being called Soronūmė. Is that right? That is a name of a constellation of my people." Elwen began to walk away from the doorway scaning the room for somewhere to sit. "You see the wisest of my people are gathered together to guide the spirits tied to Arda, like I now am. Soronūmė is one of the oldest and brightest."

Elwen glanced over the man trying to decide whether the name suited him. It did, there was something about this man standing before her, something that she couldn't put her finger on, not yet anyway. There was a distinct elven quality about him, the way he held himself, or the way he spoke. Elwen was intersted to learn more about this mysterious man. Elwen could sense that he knew she was looking at him. She quickly glanced away, smiling to herself, her eyes flashing in the fire light.

"Have you travelled far?" Elwen questioned him.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-14-2002, 06:28 PM   #317
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronūmė smiled at the maiden, "Indeed, I am Soronūmė, mae govannen star-maiden." He gestured to a table not far from the bar where Dwarin was talking to a young hobbit, and the two sat down.

"Yea Elwen" he spoke softly, "I have travelled far, though there is little to tell you of my journey for I know so little myself. I wander the lands, whichever they are for I am unconsious of their names. That is which I was never taught, for I was an outcast of my people, though they were not mine. The family I had did not belong to me, they were my brothers for he deserved them. His parents took me in, when I had no where else to go and they were all I knew" Soronūmė continued his tale whilst looking towards the open harth, Elwen, twirling strands of hair around her fingers, seemingly following every word.

"Those are the days I remember as clearly as a cool winters morn though those were the days most painful to remember. A loving family they were but they did never understand me, no one ever could. The only one who may was my brother but he too is gone now. I learnt very little from the people who cared and loved for me, little that is apart from a deep affection for them. My people they could never tell me of, it was to be my quest."

Soronūmė seemed pained to speak of such a time, but looked up to the maiden and forced a smile. He knew she would know other than that he showed but Soronūmė stopped his tale there and asked Elwen "This master you speak of, there is a tale there for you to tell. I fear mine is nothing but depressing and not for the ears of one such as you, deserving so more."
Old 12-14-2002, 07:52 PM   #318
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Garvedon the elf walks in and mutters
"I know not one single person in this inn,it will make conversation very difficult indeed"

He walks up to the bar and patiently waits for the innkeeper to return to behind the bar.

"Yes what can I get you,Mr....?"the Innkeeper asks

"I am known as Garvedon,son of Garveron,and you are"Gavedon replies

"I am Dwarin the owner of The Green Dragon,and what would you like in my Inn"Dwarin says

"I would like some directions"replies Garvedon

"Directions to where my fair elf"Dwarin asks as he pours Garvedon a small jug of beer."Here you go"He says as he passes him the jug.

"I am travelling on a quest to seek a dwarf in the Blue Mountains"He says"Would you happen to be able to give me directions to them as I am hoping to leave in 4 days"

"Yes I am able to tell you were to go"Dwarin says as he pulls a map out of his pocket and leans over the counter to tell Garvedon where to go.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:58 PM   #319
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

*Carnil gets up and goes to the bartender and gets another ale then returns to her seat and sits quietly*

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: AddictedtoRumil ]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:17 PM   #320
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen sat listening very intensely to all of the commotion around her. It was very loud in the inn. Many people came to the bar and left. Then one Elf came to the bar. He sat down and started talking to the innkeeper, Dwarin. She did not take too much notice to him, but his voice seemed to rise above the noise of the inn. She heard him say something about the Blue Mountains.

She turned toward the Elf. "The Blue Mountains?" she said suddenly. The Elf looked up from the map and at Eruwen. "Yes," he said not really sure of the question being asked him.

"You mean the same ones once called Ered Luin?" Eruwen answered. The Elf nodded. "I am traveling there as well---to see a family member of mine who traveled there many years ago."

Eruwen paused for a moment. "Uh, I mean, I'm sorry for intruding," she said. "I just overheard you say that to Master Dwarin here, and I was quite shocked to hear of someone traveling the same road as I. Not many around here are."