Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2003, 02:22 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! The Green Dragon Inn - Part 3

Welcome Back to the Green Dragon Inn!

We had run out of pages on the second page of the topic. But here we are again.

Carry on, Shirelings!

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-09-2003, 02:40 AM   #2
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aeryn still was amazed at the creatures she had seen in the Inn. "Tiqaundel," she began. "My mother, she is from Lothlorien, have you by any chance been there?" she asked hopefully.

"I unfortunatly travelled far out of it's way to get here, something which I regret greatly." She smiled.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 03-09-2003, 08:24 AM   #3
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

SAVED for reworked post.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

Save for reworked post

The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Old 03-09-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

NOTE:

Please be familiar with the first topic listed in the Shire - The Red Book of Westmarch.

A primary rule for posting in the Shire is:

Each post must be at least 2 paragraphs long and each paragraph must be a minimum of 2 sentences.

Please make your posts more descriptive -show us how well you can write!

~~~~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator ~~~~~
Old 03-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

"Good evening, madam, woman of the fairest and wisest race of the immortal firstborn," he began to the innkeep. He was much suprised to find she was not only female, but an elf. "I am happy to receive such welcome! My thanks, a mug or two is sufficient to keep a traveller on his feet for the last few hours of the day!" he paused for a moment with a fatigued grin on his face.

"You would like to hear of my travels?" he continued, still smiling, as he always was. "Well, before I begin a long wind of events and places and interesting encounters, I would like to ask your name, if I may know it."

"Of course, of course you may know my name!" the innkeep replied, "Piosenniel, though most call me Pio."

"Well thank you, Lady Piosenniel! I will call you Pio so that there is more room in my speech for details on my interesting tale." The Great Krysello chukled, "Well, some is interesting, most is most definetly not. But, I will tell you all the same, adding some color to the parts that are a dull black and white."

He stopped again, clearing his throught in a deliberate manner. "I was born far up in the northeast of this Middle Earth, in a small, small village that had no real name, but we called it the Land of Elenic's. Elenic was my father, and he though himself as a pioneer, travelling north, leading a group of people, and settling up in this northern area. I never knew much about him, for he died when I was a young lad. But, I enjoyed the snows and got an excellent arm, but of course everyone else did too, and I always said something to-- well, really somethings-- to make them furious, and their anger would persuade them to throw things at me. And those things were not always soft, powdery snow. There was this one lass I used to--" the entertainer stopped suddenly and his eyes went wide in a sort of suprise.

"Well, I say, you look a bit worse for wear! No wonder," he cried, looking like a little old woman fretting over a sick child, "months pregnant and bustling about in this inn, serving food and drinks and cleaning! Well, my life stroy can wait for tomorrow, you should really be getting to bed! And I will save a show for tomorrow, I think."

At that, he picked up his ale and went to sit at a table in the corner of the common room leaving the poor innkeep, Pio, to stare in amazement. It was true, the Great Krysello was never at a loss for words.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Oh no, you cannot escape me so easily, Master Storyteller!' she thought to herself, as he turned and walked away. 'You have piqued my interest now, and I could not possibly sleep.'

She called for Prim to come take over her duties,and followed the Great Krysello to his table, a mug of sweetspice tea in her hand. He looked up in mild surprise and made to stand at her approach.

'Please, sit!' she urged him, seating herself and pulling up a nearby chair to prop her feet on. She took a drink of her tea, savoring its pleasant taste. Over the rim of her mug, she could see him looking at her, silent for the moment.

Pio set her mug carefully on the table with a satisfied sigh, and squirmed a little in her seat to find a more comfortable position. She smiled impishly at him as she drummed her fingers on the table.

'Now about the snow and that one lass,' she prompted him, her grey eyes full on his, 'you have my attention - please, continue . . .'
Old 03-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Shield

"My name is Morwyn, and I also come from Rohan" the young woman answered Sara. She smiled, but she was obviously tired. "I am here in search of new people and places..." She was cautious, not sure how much to reveal to Sara. She smiled again.

"It's so good to meet you, Morwyn" Sara said to her, holding out a hand. Morwyn took her hand, but just then a hobbit woman hurried up to her to say that there was a room ready for her, and that someone called Hob was going to take care of her horse.

"I'll see you in the morning Sara..." she called to the girl, as Buttercup led her up the stairs. Once in her room she yawned loudly, then sighed with relief to be alone in a dark, quiet place. She wanted to talk more with this other girl from Rohan, Sara, but first she needed a long sleep...

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

"Well, my orignal plan was to inform the rangers I would be meeting about the warg-rider party that I have been tracking for the last fortnight. However, now I will also tell them of a missing Dunadan, and my suspicions that there is something wrong in the Northlands that we do not know about," said Talendur after some thought. "I am sure that you grow weary of me telling you of my concerns over and over again, but there must surely be something wrong!"

After his statement, Talendur eased back in his chair and said no more for a while. He finished his eggs, and asked the waitress to bring a pot of coffee to the rangers' table. Then, he addressed both of the Dunedain saying: "Perhaps we could go down to the Bywater Pool later today to relax. Seldom do the rangers have that opportunity. But right now, I would like to here more about you right now Aerandir. Since last night you have only had a brief time to recount experiences, and all of the conversation has been about me. Is your mother well, and have you seen your father recently?"
Old 03-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #10
Balin

1420!

Balin came into the inn a late night and asked for a room.
He had been riding his pony the whole day and was very tired.
He sat down and had a ale.

He felt very lonely that night, the other guests at the inn had already go into their rooms to have some rest.

Then another dwarf came in and sat down beside Balin.
"Your late, Derin..", said Balin, a bit annoyed.
"Yes, Im sorry for that", Derin said slowly.
"Isnt your brother Merin coming too?", Balin asked.
"Oh yes, hes just talking to the roomservice. The rooms we orderd is taken by elves!!"
"Dont be to hard to the elves. Its probably just a missunderstanding."
"Its no rooms available for you...Im really sorry", they heard the roomserviceman say to Merin.
Balin got a bit angry when he heard that.
He pushed away Merin and said; "Im sorry, but we ORDERD the rooms!"
"And who are you, little dwarf", the roomserviceman said and was getting a bit annoyed.
"I am Balin Lightningteeth, and this is my friends Derin and Merin. We have orderd rooms and we DEMAND rooms right now!"
"Yes, yes! I will see what I can do, little masters.", he said.

The roomserviceman got them a room to share.
Balin got angry but Merin stopped him from syaing something stupid.
After the nights troubles they felt very tired and fell asleep immediatley.

The next morning they walked down to have some breakfast and saw that the elves that got their orderd rooms were sitting and laughinng and made fun of Balin and his temperament to the roomserviceman.
Balin got so mad he just walked down to the first elf and was trying to hit him in the face but Merin and Derin stopped him.
"You damn elves!!", Balin shouted.
And I dont know if the elves got scared for Balin or something but they just raised from their charis and walked away.

Balin looked mad after them.
"Calm down Balin", Derin said.
They sat down and got breakfast.
But then a little hobbit came in and looked have walked a lot.
He walked right on to the bardisk, got an ale, and sat down beside Balin.
"Hello little friend", Balin said. "May I ask where you are from?"

Old 03-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Just a reminder: All fights shoud be kept out of the Inn, and preferably out of the courtyard, too. Save the battling for your RPG's please.

Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 03-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #12
Gimli Elffriend

Sting

"Im Cedric Brandybuck from Buckland", the hobbit answerd Balin.
"And who are you?"
"Im Balin Lightningteeth from Erebor, and this is my companinons, Merin and Derin.", Balin answerd.
"So Cedric what are you doing around here?", Balin asked.
"Oh..Ehm..Im on a little "adventure" on myself...", Cedric said, "And what about you?"
"We are on an errand to Hobbiton, we are meeting some friends there.", Balin said.

They sat talking about memorys and the dwarves were telling news and tales from the East that the hobbit never heard before.
Then the elves that did upset Balin came in.
They sat down a few table form them.
They were whispering on their language to each other.
Balin got more angry at them and started talk about "stupid elves" at the dwarven langugage, Khuzdul.
Cedric didnt understand so he sat quiet and just watched.
"Merin! I suggest we are heading for Hobbiton right now! Im sick and tired of those elves!", Balin said in Khuzdul.
Merin and Derin walked out and prepared their horses and Balin said to Cedric on the common speach; "We are heading for Hobbiton now. If you want some adventures you may come with us but you have to decide right here and now."
"Im coming with you! If its ok! I really want to get adventures! My own adventures are so boring, actually thats why Im here.
I left Buckland and my relatives cause they thought I didnt got any 'hobbit sense'...", Cedric said and felt sad.
"I see...", Balin said slowly, "then lets not waste any time!"

Old 03-10-2003, 12:24 PM   #13
Gimli Elffriend

Sting

Balin and company has been away on they errand and havent been seen at the Green Dragon Inn for a year.
One day at the Inn a dwarf came in.
He had a long red beard. It was twinned.
He got a got e great helm on his head and was also wearing a heavy ringmail and letherboots. He got a big sword and a small axe in his belt.
He removed hes helm and walked over to the bardisk and got a ale.
It was Balin.
Everyone sat down beside him and wanted to hear all about his adventures, but Balin didnt say anything.
A few moments later a hobbit came in.
It was Cedric. He sat down beside Balin.

They just sat for a very long time until Balin finally said; "We got to hobbiton.
And stayed there for a while with a friend of mine... After that we were heading back to Erebor, but we should pass by Buckland to leave Cedric there and continue to Erebor."
Cedric looked down at his ale.
Balin continued talking; "But it didnt end as we hoped. The weather was getting bad and we couldnt hold are course. We were lost until we met a stranger that told us that we were 10 miles from Gondor. Merin and Derin got so tired that they started go to the East to Erebor, but I followed Cedric so he would get back safe to Buckland.
So we heade north and got lucky enough until we got to cross a old forest.
We thought it was no trouble waiting for us in the forest but we were attacked by serveral foresttrolls!
It was a had battle, but they caught us."

Balin turned around and looked out of the window and Cedric continued the story; "They hanged us in trees upside-down and Balin got a small knife to cut the ropes with.
We were lucky cause a few trolls just left to get some mushrooms, (probably to cook us with), and when we got down we slayed the trolls and got away safely.
But we was lost...We were lost in the forest for about a month whitout food."
"But how did you make it then?" a tall man whit a brown beard asked excited.

Old 03-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #14
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami bought four flagons of ale over from the bar, setting three of them down in front of Balin and his companions Merin and Derin. Then she gave the smallest one to the hobbit Cedric. She could see they were in the middle of telling a long tale about all their adventures.

"Now where have I seen you before? You look very familar to me." Cami stared straight at Cedric, and wondered how he came to be friends with a group of dwarves who looked to be wandering adventurers.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:07 PM   #15
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An odd half-smile crossed Nahai's face as she watched the drama play out between the incoming dwarves and a group of elves. Spending most of her time alone, she did not witness such events firsthand very often, but she had heard that such things occured. People hating other people because of their race... unfortunately she was all too familiar with that scenario.

Being a skin-changer, Nahai was viewed as an oddity--no, a freak--among the other, more 'normal' races of Middle Earth. She had spent most of her life alone, away from all of them to avoid such annoyances, but still she faced the discrimination whenever she made contact with others. Therefore, she never told anyone of her true identity. Well, with the possible exception of Enlothien.

He was a rogue elf, an assasin. Enlothien was one of the first people to try to make conversation with her in the Green Dragon, and the first person other than her uncle Beorn who actually seemed to accept her for who she was. Then, as quickly as he had appeared, he left her sitting here at the bar. She told herself that she would see him again someday, but in her heart she knew that she couldn't be sure.

Pushing such thoughts back into the deep recesses of her memory, Nahai turned her attention to the remnants of her ale. Sloshing the few drops back and forth in her glass, she looked back at the people in the inn. Maybe she could have a stroke of luck and find someone else to talk to. Two people in one visit. Imagine. Maybe she could find another Enlothien--Blast! That name again. She gave the memory another stubborn shove back and focused on the dwarves, elves, and men that populated the Green Dragon.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #16
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Mimosa Sandyman and her brother Hugo walked into the inn out of the rain that had just started falling about a half hour ago, covering the earth in puddles. Hugo walked over to the bar immediatly to order some ale, but Mimosa(or Mimi as her friends and family liked to call her), sat down at a table near the fire, letting it warm her water drenched skin.

Hugo walked back holding two large mugs of ale and sat down beside his sister smiling. She did not return his smile, but frowned at him as she took the ale silently.

"I told you we should not have stayed at that other inn for so long! We are going to be terribly late now, especially with this rain falling like it is!" She took a sip of her ale and looked straight into the fireplace.

"Oh, Hanna won't mind, she's a patient lass!"

"But it is her first child!" Mimosa nearly yelled. "And I so want to see little Marroc II! This means so much to me!" She said, leaning forward with her hand on her cheek.

Hugo sighed, leaning back in his chair. He did know how much this ment to his sister. To see the child named after the one she had lost.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #17
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aerandir paused for a few moments. He didn't like to talk about his family very much. It was a very hard subject for him most of the time. He finally said,"If you didn't hear my conversation with Rave last night, I'll be willing to tell all of it, but now is not the time.

In short, My father was an elf-warrior from Mirkwood named Olwe Carnesir. He fought in the battle of the five armies. He saved my mother, who is from Gondor, from a band of goblins.

A few years after I was born, we were going down the Anduin to Minas Tirith when we were ambushed by orcs. My father gave his life to save my mother and I from them.

When I became of age, I started training in swords, bows, and survival. The stuff necessary to be a Ranger. I have also been thouroughly trained in cross-bows."

Aerandir took a small cross-bow out of his pack and showed it to the other rangers. He said,"Many times has this cross-bow saved me. When you're out of arrows or a bow just won't do, that is when you will be extra glad to have a cross-bow. You can load it, cock it, and have it ready for whenever you need it. You'll be gald that someone has a cross-bow when we go to Bree.

Talendur, what is your life story? You've been so busy answering my questions, you haven't told me about your family, and what you've done to get you where you are now." The waitress brought the Rangers their coffee, and they drank most of it very quickly.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Old 03-10-2003, 07:07 PM   #18
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

The Great Krysello was quite amazed to find someone who seemed to enjoy his endless chatter, his uncanny way of telling an entire biography to all whom asked to know of his travels. He was sure they got too much more than they had asked for. This elf was sitting down at his table to hear his life-long tale. He hadn't expected an interest from anyone in the events of his life, most enjoyed the dramatically stretched fantastical adventures of long dead heroes of old, or completely fictitious ones.

"Well, I am always filled with joy when I have an eager audience," he said grinning, "I am more used to reluctant audiences when it comes to my idle talk of my trivial travels..." He stopped and stared for a moment, reminiscing, thinking of all the things that had happened to him or around him. Krysello was surprised to find how interesting those events actually were.

"Now," he continued, "where was I? Oh, yes, the lass, yes, well, I used to fancy this lass and I used to follow her around sometimes, trying to work up the courage to speak with her. You see, this was a very pretty lass, and of course all the lads saw that, and they were all normal lads, unlike me, trained with the sword and bow and fist fighting and wrestling with the others all the time. My father taught me a bit of swordsmanship, but after he began teaching me that, he decided not to bother with the bow and arrow. And, eventually, he stopped trying to train me with a blade, even before he died when I was twelve. After that, well, my mother wasn't going to bother finding someone to teach me weaponry, and she had always loved lore so. She wrote her own tales and songs and poetry sometimes, and she always encouraged me to sing. So, instead of slashing with a sword, I read books and wrote. Mother tutored me and I was considered 'soft', of course."

The Great Krysello paused for a moment as if catching his breath, then he chuckled under his breath and said, "A thousand apologies, m'lady, I rambled on a bit more than I should have, now I will get back to the lass..." He cleared his throat and continued once again, "One day, when I had finally plucked up the courage, I followed her from far behind and then, suddenly, she disappeared. Well, she seemed to. She had hid behind a large pile of snow, and in my naiv-ness, I did not realize it. She then pelted me with large pieces of ice like large stones. She had to be the best aim in the village because every one of those stones of ice hit me in the face. Needless to say, I didn't bother talking to this lass and found her a bit uglier than before."

"I ran home with welts all over my face, made very red and puffy by the cold. My mother also had an interest in the study of herbs and healing, so I felt that I was safe from any more pain. But, telling her the truth of how I received the welts -- as the honest young man that I was," Krysello stopped to grin mischievously. "Well, she was not happy for she said that I had been horribly rude to follow a lady like that, and for a punishment, she refused to care for my welts, saying they would heal, in time, on their own. That was a day that sticks out clearly in my mind. Welts are the nastiest, most treacherous, most hideous forms of injury come from the deepest, darkest, bloodiest and muddiest pits of the Forsaken Lands!" Exclaiming this in a loud, furious voice, the 'great' entertainer rose to his feet, then coming to his conclusion with a short, grunting "humph!" he sat down once again, staring at Pio.

Calmed once again, the blond Krysello continued, "When I turned 17, my mother died during the harsh winter of that year. With no one left, and a desire to escape the small, and in my mind, boring village, I left to travel the lands. Since I was a skilled sort of minstrel, I had dreams of travelling to the White City, working my way up to a bard, hoping to perform before the Steward. But, destiny led me to meet a strange old man, just outside the Old Forest, and found immediately that I absolutely loved him like a grandfather. So, when I discovered he was travelling southeast also, I was eager to travel with him, and was extremely excited to find that he would be happy to have my company. His name was Nevyn, and he appeared as an herbman, but as I traveled with him, I discovered that there was much more to him. I concluded that he was a magician, possibly even a wizard. When I revealed that I knew this, old Nevyn said, almost immediately, that I was worthy of studying the dweomer-craft. He said that it had to be fate that made us meet on such a empty path."

Once again, the Great Krysello cleared his throat and wet it with a swig of ale. "Now, I was completely taken aback by this, of course, but I was also bewildered in an excited sort of way. I had always dreamed of becoming like the sorcerers in the old tales, and finding that I could, I was dancing with glee. But, I also thought of the seriousness of this. This was a very complex craft and I had to be determined not to give up and not to treat it as a game. I promised myself this so that I could learn the vast knowledge of the wizarding world. I lived with Nevyn for six years, studying and studying lore, languages, and dweomer. Then, Nevyn told me that I had to learn on my own, that the ability to accomplish, achieve, and learn completely alone was an immeasurably important thing. So, I traveled off on my own, but not without a large number of books and notes, all given to me by the old wizard. With those and the dangers and challenges life and the land brings, I have learned much. Now, thirteen years later, I am a much more achieved minstrel, performer, man, loremaster -- actually more of a lore apprentice, I do not think I have reached the height of master -- and I have become much more of a magician, closer to a wizard, though still far away."

Another sip of ale, and Krysello was off again, "Oh! I have forgotten an important matter, what I did during the War of the Ring. Well, I though of becoming a soldier, for I felt a need to serve in this war since it was a war over Middle-earth. But, I had the calling of my services to become a healer. My path was to Gondor the entire time, so, when the great siege on Minas Tirith began, I was there to be a healer. I was mainly a healer to the women and children and those too old to fight, but when there were so many wounded, I helped there also. Then, I watched from a far distance as the true king received his throne and joined in on some celebrating. But, soon I left to wandering once again. Travelling from inn to inn, marketplace to marketplace, and sometimes performing at parties in people's homes. Besides that, nothing more has happened to me, until I found my way here and met a beautiful elfin maiden who would listen to my chatter."

Grinning broadly, the entertainer swigged down the last of his ale. "Actually, I recently have found -- after some significant digging -- prophecies from during the War of the Ring. They truly are interesting..." His mind wandering, Krysello stared idly at the tavern room wall, then snapped to attention. "Forgive me for engrossing my thoughts into the prophecies of the Lady of Light, I find that I stray into deep though at most untimely times. Well," he said taking a deep breath, slowing himself down. "How did you like my little tale? A bit confusing I'm sure, I haven't gotten all the details in order yet..."
Old 03-10-2003, 08:29 PM   #19
Scent of Simbelmynë

Shield

Morwyn came down the stairs slowly, still a little hesitant and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She had combed the tangles from her shoulderlength brown hair, but her clothes were still rumpled from traveling. She sighed heavily. She didn't mind being dirty and unsettled. She'd done it often enough before, but it had been a while... She didn't let herself think about Rohan. Not yet. It's fields and valleys started to flood her mind, but she shut her eyes tight against the memory, and continued into the common room.

She looked around the room for the girl, Sara, that she had met the night before, but she didn't seem to be there. So walking over to the bar, Morwyn ordered ale and stood for a moment, looking at the people in the inn. A group of Dwarves with a hobbit occupied one corner. In another section of the room several elves looked deep in their own conversation. She kept scanning the room. An oddly dressed blond man caught her eye, but he seemed to be telling his life story (rather loudly and flamboyantly) to an elf lady who looked as though she belonged there. Morwyn thought this must be Piosenniel, the innkeeper. The only other occupant of the room was a woman, sitting by herself with an odd expression on her face. Morwyn studied this woman for a moment, then took a seat near her. She wasn't sure if the woman was looking for company and she didn't want to intrude. She'd just wait for Sara....

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]

The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #20
Maiden of the Sky
Pile O'Bones

Maiden of the Sky has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sara was glad to know that Morwyn was from Rohan as well, it felt strange since it seemed that they were the only people from that area.While Morwyn had gone to her room and rested, Sara looked around the inn. There were far more elves here than Sara had imagined. She had always been in awe of the elves and had never really met one before, but Sara was content being by herself for a while.

She felt bored so went outside to admire the scenery. The Shire really was a beautiful place and she felt so refreshed as she breathed in the cool air.

Going back inside she saw Morwyn sitting patiently at the bar and went over to her.

"Good morning! Have you been up long? I was outside enjoying the fresh air, it is so lovely and peaceful here."
Old 03-11-2003, 04:38 AM   #21
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria had been sitting up in her room by the window all day and all of the night. Bebberyn came in. "M'lady, I sorry to say, but I am wanted back in Dol Amroth now, and I though I would entrust you to the keep of the rangers, Alaemas and Dolenmar have given me their word you will be safe."

"Very well" she replied in a distant voice. "I will be returning soon, but something of me is held here." Bebberyn bowed to Umbria and left the inn. He saw Alaemas and Dolenmar outside.

"going so soon lad?" Dolenmar remarked. "sadly yes" Bebberyn said laughing. "Which means we look return Elfsun now?" Alaemas asked. Bebberyn nodded and with that he rode off.

"What now?" Alaemas turned to Dolenmar as they went back inside the Inn. "Do we find Elfsun now? I can't see Aeryn, though she blends in well and with this crowd, I wouldnt be surprised if we dont find her for some time." Dolenmar laughed.

------

Aeryn was still sitting at the table with her new friends. And her pale eyes gazed at the dwarves in wonder. "Look" she said excitedly, "dwarves! and many! I know my people have had trouble with them before, but never have I seen one. You can imagine, not many stray into Gondor, or any elven realm I suppose."

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 03-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #22
Pim Baggins

Sting

A hobbit lad named Pim sat down a few seats from Morwyn and Sara at the bardisk.
Pim didnt say anything until he got his ale he orderd.

"Your not from anywhere around?", he asked Sara.
"Ehm...No...Im from Rohan. And who are you little halfling?", she said.
"I am Pim Baggins from Hobbiton.
I was here seeing some of my relatives.", he answerd.
"So what are you Big Folks doing here?", Pim asked Sara and Morwyn.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #23
Happy Hobbit

1420!

Ferri, or Ferdibrand Baggins that was his real name, got into the Inn and had an ale.
He weared a darkgreen jacket with a white shirt under with goldmarkings and brown shorts. In hes belt he got a sword in hobbitsize.
He was sitting there alone and was looking for someone to talk to.

He saw a few dwarves sitting and tell some tales about the adventures they had made.
Ferri was the only hobbit at the inn and with all the Big People around he felt very lonely and small.

He thought he was gonna stay here for the night and have a little 'vacation'.
It was very late and he felt tired and thought he was felling asleep when someone came in.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #24
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nahai watched with interest as the people in the Green Dragon talked among themselves. A blond man was happily telling his life story with great enthusiasm to the innkeeper Piosenniel. The three dwarves and the hobbit were conversing in one corner of the room, and a group of elves in another.

A woman sat beside her for a moment, and was then accompanied by another woman, followed shortly by a hobbit. She listened to them speak, but not wanting to intrude on their conversation, remained silent.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #25
Scent of Simbelmynë

Shield

Morwyn was relieved when Sara came into the common room. After telling Sara she hadn't been there too long and ordering food they started to talk. Their conversation was a little awkward, as Morwyn was hesitant to talk about her home, but she reminisced for a while with Sara anyway. Smiling she answered a question from a young hobbit sitting a few seats down.

"My name is Morwyn and I come from Rohan. I no longer have a home to stay in there, so I travelled this way looking for new places and new people."

The hobbit, Pim, and Sara were looking at her curiously, so Morwyn went on, "My husband was killed in a riding accident, and a few months later our baby daughter, Freya, died of a fever." She swallowed hard. Her two companions looked at her sympathetically, but she looked away, determined to change the subject.

Leaning closer to Sara she pointed to the woman sitting by herself. "She looks alone." The two women stood up and introduced themselves.

"I am Morwyn of Rohan, and this is Sara, and Pim Baggins. Would you like to join us?"

Old 03-11-2003, 02:27 PM   #26
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

“ . . . But, soon I left to wandering once again. Traveling from inn to inn, marketplace to marketplace, and sometimes performing at parties in people's homes. Besides that, nothing more has happened to me, until I found my way here and met a beautiful elfin maiden who would listen to my chatter."

‘. . . beautiful Elven maiden!’ Pio laughed out loud at this statement. ‘Good sir, you flatter me. I am no maiden, as you can see by this great belly of mine.’ She cradled the twins with her arms, both of whom were quite awake now, and noting with great interest the images from the stories that formed in their mother’s mind. ‘And as for beautiful, best be careful that my husband does not hear you, lest he think you try to steal me from him.’ She smiled impishly, and winked at the now sputtering Krysello.

She clapped him soundly on the back as he coughed, and poured him a glass of chilled wine to ease his throat, dry from the effort of so much talking. When he had collected himself, she asked him several questions concerning points in his stories which had particularly caught her attention.

‘Tell me more of this Nevyn with whom you studied, Krysello. Who was his teacher?’ She leaned toward him, pitching her voice low for his ears only. ‘Did he ever travel in the South lands or far to the East. Or for that matter have you?’ She leaned back in her chair taking a drink from her glass. ‘And if so, did you hear any stories concerning shape-changers?’

Pio watched him carefully, sifting his reaction to this question. Her old friend Birdland and she were delving into the history of the shape-changers, tracing their origins and customs. Anything she could glean from this wanderer she would carefully note in her journal, and then discuss it with Bird on one of her infrequent journeys to the Shire.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #27
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

"Nevyn? Well, there's really little I can tell you about him. He was amazingly light on his feet for such an old man. Graceful and poised, yet he was covered in wrinkles and age spots. He still stood tall though, the old conjurer, and there was an air about him of nobility, like the presence of a great King, but he looked his part: an old wandering herbman. I did not find anything out about his past or his travels, but I believe he is, or was one of the few that were left of the Dunedain. But, whenever I asked him of anything of his life, he became stark and gloomy, and a bit angry with me. Let me tell you, when that man is moody, he is as fearsome as the Balrog of Morgoth."

Krysello stopped to smile fondly at the memory of the old man. "Yes, he was an interesting character. I understand when one does not wish to share personal information, though it seems that I wouldn't care in the least about that. He know that magicians aren't supposed to speak of their powers, but I have very few and I have always known elves to acknowledge magic."

Then the blond entertainer frowned, is forehead creased in deep thought. "As to your question of shape-changers," he began, "Well, I dug deep into the files of a library, searching for texts on the Haradrim, when I came across manuscript on these shape-changers or shape-shifters, whatever you'd like to call them. Now, I was suprised to find them, the only problem was that age had taken its toll upon it, and most of the writing was illegible, to say the least. But, I deciphered as much as I could. The man, 'Guphalin the Wanderer' as his name is recorded, said that their changes of shape are usually humanoid, though they can change into most any shape, but non-human-like shapes can be painful for them to shift into. The basic shape for them is humanoid, of course, but they are unique in many ways, with no eyes. He compared them to bats, but said that he could not be sure that that is a proper comparison considering that they flee at the sight of any humans. He had to study them from hiding behind bushes and boulders, so his research is most definitly questionable. The final thing I read was that this Guphalin speculated on them not needing food, only water, but, one doesn't know for sure. I'm afraid I could not decipher the rest of the text."

Krysello stopped again, looking grim, as if his inability was a crime, "Of course, the owner of the manuscript informed me that his son had spilt a tankard of ale on it..." He paused, looking at Pio with an apologetic expression, "I do not know if I have helped you any. Actually, I have been hoping to travel south, and learn about the Haradrim, since I have been researching them, so, if I do, I will look on shape-changers for you, and return to this inn as soon as I can. I have fallen in love with the Shire, anyway. I just might study hobbit lore next..."

His mind bouncing from one thing to another, Krysello jumped back to the shape-changers, "Hum," he grunted, "well, there seems to be another thing I read about theses shape-shifters...my memory has been getting worse by the day. Well, maybe it will come to me after another ale. Of course, I'll pay for this one."

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 03-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #28
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

For a moment, Nahai looked slightly suprised. It wasn't often that anybody bothered to ask her to join them. But then again, these people didn't know who, or rather WHAT, she was. She smiled.

"Aye, I would," she said "Thank you." she added, remembering her manners.

"My name is Nahai, daughter of the Lady Silhinui," she continued, pushing a strand of red-gold hair behind her ear. "Pleased to meet you all." Her green eyes flicked momentarily from face to face before falling back to her plate of food. "I'm here searching for adventure..." Her gaze hardened for a split second as memories of her past flashed before her. "...Among other things." As quickly as it came, the anger in her emerald eyes melted away, and she smiled again.

"What brings you three to the Shire?" She had heard Lady Morwyn's recount of her adventures, but didn't want to say that she had been eavesdropping on their conversation, lest she offend them. Setting her ale down on the bar, she waited for them to reply.

Suddenly, Nahai's ears picked up a snip of conversation between the innkeeper Piosenniel and the blond storyteller. The elven woman had asked about shape-shifters. Nahai could tell Pio a thing or two about shape-changers that she probably wouldn't learn in any book, but that would mean she would risk revealing her identity. And Valar knows what might happen after that. Well, it would be interesting to hear what her loud friend had to say about their almost forgotten race. How would he describe them? As savages? Murderers? Inhuman monsters? She had heard those words describing her kind thousands of times before. She made a mental note to keep an ear on that conversation.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Maegaladiel ]
Old 03-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #29
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

He entered quietly, the cloak held loosly around his shoulders by an elvish clasp. He looked around slowly, remembering. The place had the same sounds, the same tables, the same smells. He searched across the floor for a second, before finding what he had been looking for, the hole in the floorboard! It was still there.

He sat at a nearby table, thinking over it all. Then he had met an elven lady, and an elf, Anuion. But now he was alone again. He sighed, memories of long ago.

He roused himself from his melancholy state and rose from the chair. He crossed the room in several strides and called out the on duty bartender, "ho my friend, a bottle of your finest white."

The bartender searched around underneath the bar for a couple of seconds before bringing out a bottle and a glass.
"I'm afraid that will be twenty gold coins, sir elf," the bartender said.

"No matter!" he replied, and sprinkled the twenty golden circles across the bar. "It is worth it just to sit and remember the past."

He took up the bottle and returned to his seat. He opened the bottle and poured his first glass. Taking a sip, he relaxed and gazed around the room again. To his left and further ahead, the bench where she had laid, and top his right in the far corner, the table that they had shared. If only she was there now.

He sighed and took another sip. Fin had returned.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:18 PM   #30
Huntress
Pile O'Bones

Huntress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Huntress had been sitting alone for some time now, watching people entering the inn and a few leaving. Most were all in there groups talking and chatting as though long time friends. Huntress looked down into her drink, she heard the door open and looked up sharply, a man was entering the inn this in itself was not unuseual but her eyes were drawn to the elven clasp that secured his cloak. AS she watched she saw him examin the floor and then take a seat on his own.

In a way he reminded her of herself when she had first arrived, alone and sad looking in a way. Huntress could tell he was remebering by the way his eyes seemed to glaze over, he also seemed to examin the room without seeing it and the fact he had hardly touched the glass of wine in front of him. She shifted slightly in her seat unsure whether or not to go over, as a Ranger it wasn't something she usueally did but her talking to Rave had helped her see the other side of herslef.

She would go over, fear gripped her she made sure her black hair coverd her ears flattening it slightly. In one fluid motion she rose from her seat and faced the direction of the man.She hopped she wouldn't be turned away, Huntress pushed her way through the people and finally stood oposite the man at first he didn't see her but he looked at her suddenly.

"Hi, I was wondering if anyone was sitting there." Huntress said indicating the spare chair by the stranger
As she said this she brushed the hair that was shadowing her green eyes, but as she did so she accidentlly moved the hair revealing her elven ears,

"Oh By the way I'm Huntress." she fianally said introducing herself and waiting nervously for an answer.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #31
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elwing stepped nervously into the Green Dragon Inn. She was known in her part of the Shire as the Horse-Maiden, because of her love for horses. She had never been to the Green Dragon before, and she was wary of the others in the inn.

A man brushed against her back, and she jerked, startled. She pulled her deep blue cloak further around herself and stepped up to the bar hesitantly. Ordering herself a drink, she took it to a nearby vacant table and sat down, still looking about warily. As she took a sip of her drink, a man stumbled up and said "I've never seen the likes of you around here before. Wot's your name?"

She answered, "I am Elwing, and..well, I come from a different part of the Shire. I-I have decided to come here and see how it is. I have never been in this part before."

The man looked at her suspiciously and nodded, saying "Well, you look alright. Stay out of trouble and you won't be bothered."

Elwing sat in thought for a few moments, wondering what the man meant by his last few words. She took another sip of her drink and called the bartender over to order a bite of cheese and bread. As she scanned the inn, she spotted another hobbit, this one a lad. He was also sitting alone. Wondering if she should go and have a chat with him, Elwing took a bite of her bread.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Old 03-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #32
Scent of Simbelmynë

Shield

Not wanting to discuss her past in any great depth, Morwyn simply repeated what she had told Pim and Sara earlier. "I am from Rohan, but I have come here in search of new companions and adventures." She twirled a strand of hair around one finger. "My family in Rohan is all dead, there is nothing left there."

Nahai nodded, but didn't look like the news was a surprise, Morwyn suspected that she had overheard the conversation before, but she didn't mind. She was fascinated by this woman with the wide green eyes and the mysterious face. "Where are you from Lady Nahai?" she asked curiously, but she didn't really expect an answer.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:55 PM   #33
Maiden of the Sky
Pile O'Bones

Maiden of the Sky has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sara was taken aback by Morwyn's reply. She felt so sorry for her, Sara had thought she'd been through some hard times but nothing compared to Morwyn's story. Morwyn looked away, obviously uncomfortable and Sara couldn't blame her.

Pim, the halfling had joined them, as well as Nahai. Sara couldn't quite put her finger on where she was from, she looked human but there was something about her that made Sara doubt her guess.

Morwyn, as if reading her thoughts asked Nahai where she was from and Sara waited, curious to hear her reply.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:36 AM   #34
Happy Hobbit

Sting

Ferri that was sitting alone saw a woman looking at him.
She was also alone and he was thinking maybe to talk to her.

He walked over to the woman and sat down beside her.
She didnt say anything but after a while he said; "I am Ferdibrand Baggins from Hobbiton.
But please call me Ferri.
I have never seen you around here. Who are you?"
"I am Elwing. Also knowd as the Horse Maiden.
No, Im not from The Shire.", she answerd.
"But where are you from then?", Ferri asked.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #35
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

It had been a month or two, she couldn't remember now. Like evryday she got up, and drew herself a bath then went down to the common room had breakfast and went out. This morning was no different, she sat in the Inn drinking her pint of ale, and eating bread and butter. Then she left the Inn and went out to the to a wood to do target practice. Today was clear and bright, hobbits wee laughing and she could hear the sound of many hoves arrive at the Inn. She drew dack her arrow and hit the target on the tree dead centre, she did this a couple more times and the went to collet them.

As she pulled each arrow out of the tree Mylasia sighed, she was now a common face at the Inn, and she had spoken with many a traveller. But on her mind there Niamh always was, she was there. Mylasia had no desire to leave for she knew Niamh would return eventually. She place the arrows back into her quiver and headed to the inn.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #36
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nahai felt sorry for Lady Morwyn, painfully aware of how close it rang to her own life story. Now Morwyn, Sara, and Pim all looked at Nahai, waiting for her answer. She spoke slowly, choosing her words carefully.

"I come from Mirkwood," she replied. "Although recently I've been travelling around a lot." It wasn't a lie. The Carrock, her uncle Beorn's house (her childhood home), and her own dwelling all were in or near Mirkwood. With her brown pants, green tunic and cape, she was even dressed like the wood elves that lived in the forest, but the resemblance ended there. She lacked the surreal beauty and delicate pointed ears shared by the ancient immortal race, and she had always felt that something about her face made her look...well...unhuman. Which wasn't far off from the truth.

She turned to Sara and the hobbit.

"And where do you two come from, if I may be so bold as to ask?"
Old 03-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #37
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Mylasia entered the Inn. Once again like alway the smell of pipe weed and ale doused the inside of the bar area and a grey smoke lingered just below the ceiling. She proceeded to walk down to her normal place near the rear of the bar area. She chose this spot because it had and overview of the whole bar, and had a clear eye path to the door. Oft she had watched the door for hours on end, whe Niamh had first left. But now those hours were shorter, and sometimes she never looked at the door. Mylasia found it hard to admit but her hope was slightly failing.

Maybe she should not of told Niamh the truth, maybe she should have left it alone and not given in so easily. Mylaisa, stroked her long black hair thoughtfully as she daydreamed. Her red dress flowed to the floor and her eyes were always on the door. For she was now lonely again and she waited, waited for someone to speak to her.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #38
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

Talendur took a long swig of coffee before beginning. "My life story is long and you would soon grow bored. A brief summary of it would suit you better." As he said those words, Aerandir and Pervasaion leaned forward to listen.

"My mother died giving birth to me, and I have no memory of her," Talendur began. My father Berenor, a descendant of King Araphant who once ruled Arnor, was the one who raised me. Berenor was one of the best rangers there was, also, he was a personal friend of the King Elessar. At a young age, I was already learning the arts of war from my father. He trained me in the use of the longsword—my choice weapon—and the bow, which I also excelled at.

. “By the time I was in my teens, I could perform all of the crafts of the rangers better than any other of my age. I could tread almost as soundlessly as a hobbit, run like a horse of Rohan, track orcs for many days, and fight like a cornered animal. I even bettered some elves with the bow, and beat experienced rangers in sword-fights. Life was good for me then, and my father was very proud.

“Then things changed the day I turned 16. My father, seven other Dunedain and I were journeying near the woody western slopes of the Misty Mountains near Dunland. Berenor had gone scouting that morning, but by late afternoon, he was not back. I remembered that I was not worried about him, perhaps only a little nervous. By nightfall, he was still not back, and then our party of rangers began to believe something was wrong. Then, the ranger on watch said that he could barely hear many people slowly moving through the wood.

“At once, we were set upon by a band of marauders. They were criminals and outlaws from all over Eriador, and they fought savagely to capture food and supplies. Immediately the watch and two other rangers were cut down in the fury of the attack, and the five that remained formed a circle and fought off their opponents from all sides. Our number dwindled to four, then three, and finally there was only a veteran warrior named Ostoher and I left. The ruthless outlaws plundered our Dunedain camp while others kept Ostoher and I engaged. As they fought, a huge outlaw wielding a pike came at my undefended back. Ostoher leapt in front of him and took the force of the blow before slaying the outlaw with his sword. Then, just as quickly as they had appeared, they were gone, and I remembered hearing the marauders dashing hard through the woods to get away. They had successfully destroyed the Dunedain campsite, but at a cost of 15 lives of their men.

“I tended Ostoher's wound, but he knew it was fatal. Before he died, Ostoher made me promise to watch out for his son, who was two years younger than I was. Even at that moment, I felt extreme guilt that Ostoher was dying because he saved me. I made the promise to make sure his son did not get into any trouble, and thus I ended up looking after Sulohtar—the exact opposite of his father. Sulohtar is not honorable, wise or enduring like Ostoher had been. He is moody, foolish, hot-tempered and a complainer. However, I still feel guilty for causing his father’s death, so I always treat him respectfully, no matter how he responds in return. Then Ostoher died, and I was alone in the wood with no food or shelter.

“After the horrible battle, I remained waiting for my father at the campsite, but he never returned. To this day 10 years later, I still have not seen him. "Perhaps he is dead," I sometimes think, but I have not given up searching for my lost father.

“Deciding that Berenor would not return, I began to walk northwards, for the marauders had taken our horses as well. Nasty gashes were bleeding badly from my right arm and side, so when I finally walked into a Dunlending village a few hours later, I collapsed. The Dunlendings cared for me and even gave me a steed of the Rohirrim after I was well again. That mare was the mother of my current mount Caranduial, and she served me well for many years before goblin arrows brought about her death. Since that day long ago, I have sworn and oath to find out my father's fate. Searching, always searching for my father, while supervising a moody, self-centered teen. Life is so much harder than it used to be. My father was my closest kinsman as well as my friend. If I find that he is dead, I will certainly vow to hunt down and slay all of those who killed him. If he is alive, I will be a happy man.”

Talendur ended his narrative, and took another long swig, for he had talked himself dry. “It going to be a nice day today,” he remarked casually before becoming silent once more.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 PM   #39
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Mimosa and her brother Hugo sat silently by the fire, sipping quietly on their ale. Mimosa looked away from Hugo into the heart of the crackling fire, trying not to make eye contact. She was in a horrible mood, but the warmth from the fire prickled against her skin and helped her to calm down.

Mimosa was only half finished her ale when her brother got up to go check the horses and wagon. He could be out there for hours, he always takes his time, even when it is important! She sighed and looked into her mug at the ale sloshing around at the bottom. He had always hated to do things too quickly, which sometimes came in handy. Rushing things never helped anyone, he used to say(and still did).

Mimosa stood up and walked over to the counter, almost slipping on the water that had gathered on the floor and ordered some bread. She had not had much to eat and was terribly famished, though she had forgotten after getting angry with Hugo. She walked back to the table trying not to step into any puddles, and ate silently, watching the flames from the fire skip happily about infront of her.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Carlas ]
Old 03-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #40
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elwing fidgeted nervously, hesitating to answer. Why had she lied? It was a bad habit of hers. Whenever she was nervous or in the midst of strangers, she lied like there was no tomorrow.

"I-I'm terribly sorry, but I am from the Shire. From far off. You see, whenever I am nervous or among strangers, I start to lie. I am so sorry," she finished, twirling a strand of golden hair around her hobbit ear.

Ferri nodded. "I see. It's alright. Everyone gets nervous at times. But what are you doing way out here at the Green Dragon?"

"I was riding all day today, and I decided to rest up here before I began to journey back," Elwing replied, shifting her weight. Her bow peeked out from under her blue cloak. Ferri was taken aback by this. He asked, "You are an archer?"

Elwing sighed. "Yes...the only one in my part of the Shire. People look upon me as...well, 'eccentric' you might say. I stand alone in my archery. Are you a swordsman?"

"Aye," Ferri replied. Elwing nodded in approval and took another swig from her mug. Yet another young hobbit, this a lass, sitting alone by the fire caught her eye as well. Elwing motioned for Ferri to follow her, and made her way over to the hobbit.

"Excuse me, miss. But may we sit here as well?" Elwing asked, gesturing to the bench. She glanced at Ferri and waited for an answer.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]