The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting "When Spring unfolds the beechen leaf"

When Spring unfolds the beechen leaf, and
sap is in the bough;
When light is on the wild-wood stream,
and wind is on the brow;
When stride is long, and breath is deep, and
keen the mountain-air,
Come back to me! Come back to me! and
say my land is fair!

Well, the Scouring of Winter has just about ended, and the Sun is making Her way back from the Southlands.

So how will you make this a Tolkienish Spring? Are you tidying up the flower beds and planting taters by the light of the full moon? Throwing off your winter rags and dancing in the sunlight in front of an overthrown barrow? Or maybe walkin' in the willow-meads of Tasarinan?

Let's hear your thoughts as coirė turns to tuilė.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am taking long walks and contemplating mysteries of Arda in the peaceful setting of grey sidewalks. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I'm looking forward to playing Venus to a young Botticelli. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, wait, you mean Tolkien-related?

I'm wearing flowers in my hair, drinking, dancing, and singing a lį the Rivendell Elves, though I fear I do not have their stamina, and am I somewhat knackered, actually.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Careful there, Lush. Elves may be able to party hardy into their 1000s, but we mere mortals, by the time we're 30, start waking up in the morning groaning "What was I thinking!?"

But a little "spring flingin'" is always good.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Personally, I am watching the beechen twigs and waiting for the beechen leaf to unfold. Hoping to make it a more numerous event, I am also looking hard at the various oaks that crowd my lovely beech grove, and daydreaming about a chainsaw.

If I have my way, all but a few of the oaks will be cleared back to about eighty feet, leaving room for the beeches, the three witchHazels, the Rose of Sharon, the lilacs, a maple, and a few struggling pines.

I do love my beech trees. I have three little groves of them. One such grove my friend Gayle nicknamed Lothlorien. Following suit, I named the next one Fangorn. The one mentioned above that is struggling next to the gardens by the house, still has no name; I am pondering such possibilities as The Old Forest, Withywindle (but no river alas), or Green Hill Country or Woody End. Woody End may win (although I have not yet sighted Gildor there.)

If there were fountains of water, I'd consider the name "Rivendell", but alas... there are only two birdbaths.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Helen - You've got groves? Wow! I have all of three trees (front, back, and side yards).

But the one just outside my living room window is a redbud tree, and I can't wait for it to burst forth. Admittedly though, it would look far better in a grove. I hope it's not lonely.

I've been peeping and prodding my gardens, checking to see who made it through the long winter, who's being the harbringers, and who's holding back. The croci, alas, have succumbed to the squirrel armies.

Sadly, my good 14-year-old hound became seriously ill, and though she is recovering, she has suddenly become an "old dog". I fear this will be her last spring, and instead of renewal, I will be forced to watch her fade.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I feel your pain, Birdie, my dog of eleven and a half years had to be put to sleep in the end of January, and this spring for me is bittersweet without her (no wonder I'm boozing up a storm).

I shall heed your advice, but until I am 30, all bets will continue to be off. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The inherently good thing about the warm weather is the fact that I am no longer looking for anyone to keep me warm.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Squirrels? Poor Bird... Our here it's voles. I finally sank a 1/2 inch-mesh wire cage into the ground and planted my crocuses in that. Those have survived. But before I did so, I lost a lot of crocuses...

After having raked out some of the beds, and suspecting that the voles have been quite busy, I find myself wondering what sorts of hobbity annuals I'd like to plant. Tolkien mentions nasturtiums, but I've never been an orange fan.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:38 PM   #9
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Good Spring to you, my fellow gardeners!

Well, some of my tulips have survived the mole(or moles). This is the third year they have been ravaging my garden and I'm about out of options for dealing with them. I've used traps, garlic,prayers, noise makers & commercial mole repellents, and have moved on to gasoline and explosives. But the tulips made it through.

Birdland, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I hope she doesn't suffer.

Helen I LOVE lilacs! I think they are my favorite flower! Can't wait to see if mine will bloom this year. It's a baby and someone told me it needed limed so I've been treating it for a year now and am now holding my breath.

And to satisfy my "Elven tendencies", I dressed in my cloak and went foraging in the woods for deer droppings which I mixed into the soil around my delphiniums. Yes, I admit to being strange, but somehow the marriage seems to last through it all. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #10
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Happy spring to all! I have to say it is already gorgeous in this part of the world. The tulips and the daffodils are young, the sun smiling down between a new abundance of rainstorms. I can even look out the basement window (of quite limited view!) and feel a bit of the cheer of the blue sky, where normally I look out and give a disdainful moan. Our grass needs cutting again! Oh, how I love spring. New life is everywhere, joy is abound again.

This spring (between the many music competitions and festivals that I have to attend), I plan to get out a bit more; maybe darken my kitchen-cabinet-white complexion. Read a bit of poetry, and take in the beauty of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" and a few of Poe's lighter works. Write a book, get a kitten, name it Fernando Smudge II (after my two friends' recently deceased felines [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]), take off these accursed braces, the source of six years of misery, forever!

What about Tolkien? Well, I'll be reading a few more of the History of Middle-earth books, re-read the Silmarillion, and finish Unfinished Tales ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])... and perhaps The Book of Lost Tales if I can bear it (sorry, I just don't find much point in reading the early stories and getting them all confused with the published final drafts). As part of my aspired poetry 'project,' I might find a copy of Beowulf and try to absorb some of that.

The sad thing is, I might not have half the time to do all this as I wish I could... I'll probably same some for the summer.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Ithaeliel, I have never worn braces, but I believe I had the same feeling of triumph when I got rid of the accursed glasses, and started wearing contact lenses. Read Whitman alongside of a bit of Dickinson, the dichotomy is rather strange. Good luck on your book as well.

As for the rest of you gardeners, you, I can't really be bothered with the strain of weeding, watering, carting around fertilizer, and so on, but I admire in you the skills that I myself lack.

I have never felt the need to cultivate the growth of spring myself. I let it grow wildly around me; it does as it pleases, and so do I. And, on occasions, I also have to do what pleases my blood-thirsty professors, such as doing homework, when I really want to be writing Helen or Squatter(or even the bawdy Mr. Rimbaud) a long PM instead.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:21 PM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rae, your flowers could not have done that badly. It wasn't like we had a terribly harsh winter this year (Maybe that is why you are still having the mole problems?). Not a single day with snow! We usually have at least one day, or sometimes two.
Oh well! time to look towards the next season, and the upcoming summer. It is certantly feeling a little more like spring now. Kind of like Hobbiton on a nice sunny day (though it is still a tad bit frigid)

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-18-2003, 12:10 AM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
I have never felt the need to cultivate the growth of spring myself. I let it grow wildly around me...
Well, duh, Lush. You live in South Carolina. What else would nature do there? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and skip the booze; get yourself another dog. (Average "Birdie" relationship with man - 2 years. Average "Birdie" relationship with dog - 10 years. You do the math.)

Rae - Walkin' in the woods gathering deer dropping? Steer manure isn't that expensive! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Helen - Hobbity annuals? Why, Nicotiana, of course!

The killdeer have returned to Ohio! Legolas may have loved the sound of the gulls, but as for me? The cry of the killdeer stirs longings in me.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 03-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

I actually live in North Carolina, for that is where Charlotte and Duke (YEAH BLUE DEVILS!) are conveniently located.

As for the boozing, what can I say? "I drink to make other people interesting."
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Bird, your point about dogs and men makes me smile. Once I would have hollered amen... however, I have at last found a man who outlasted a dog. Once you find a good one...

Nicotania? Well, yes, I know... the problem with that idea is, my husband quit smoking in order to marry me; he's stayed clean for lo these fourteen years; and in honor of his dedication, I told myself that nicotania would never grow in my gardens. So I'm afraid that I must find other hobbitty flowers to plant.

Besides-- Bolco doesn't smoke; neither does Lindo. I suppose given the opportunity, Gamba would. Rascal!

Rae, don't let the peanut gallery get you down. Bring your elvish bow and arrow next time (I'm sure CJ has one that he'll let you borrow!) and bring home dinner in addition to fertilizer. Go Rae! And if you wear your green cloak inside out it's perfect camo.

About your tulips: I've become a real fan of wire mesh cages around the bulbs. It seems strange, I'll admit, to imprison your bulbs underground. However, the absence of chemicals is very pleasant indeed. And I have a lovely display of crocuses this year. Last year I had NONE (down from nearly a thousand.) So wire mesh is good. Works for any varmint except deer (and they have the above-ground, black plastic mesh for that. I use that too.)

Lush, gardeners who live in the woods like I do, can have their cake and eat it too; I have several little orderly gardens, and just beyond them, the wilderness takes over. No brambles, thank God; but such an abundance of blueberry and huckleberry (that's whortleberry to you brits) and wild mountain laurel-- and yes, little tiny groves of young beech-- as to sooth the soul and cheer the heart, and invigorate the lungs, and set the feet to wandering-- my feet, and, unfortunately, my dogs'...
(Back on the ties you go, you vagrants, before I get the "what happened to my catfood" phonecalls from all the neighbors...)

I think this year I will start taking pictures of the gardens again.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #16
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Well, the Scouring of Winter has just about ended, and the Sun is making Her way back from the Southlands.
Well, here in central Texas, the Sun never went too far away. All the trees are blossoming and the roadsides begin to be carpeted with bluebonnets. Unfortunately, I don't have any nice trees at my house, only yucky cedar, but my irises and cannas have already come up and I've had to mow the grass twice.

Birdland: I'm sorry about your dog. I had to put my 14 year old Schnauser to sleep 3 years ago. I still miss him.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:06 AM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Thank goodness! I hope it's staying away permanently, though here in Illinois the weather is being annoyingly flirtatious. A few days ago I was wearing shorts and today it was raining and very, very cold.

I celebrate by taking all the walks that would have frozen me to death a month ago. We live not far a large pond (or small lake) which has a lot of geese and ducks, and is about three miles around. It's right by a forest preserve and is a gorgeous walk, when it's not cold. And of course, that also means that it's time to break out the grill and do some open-air cooking on the balcony...mmmm... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

I would like to plant something, but don't have a garden, and the apt. complex isn't too keen on our tearing up the landscaper's efforts [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Ah well - some day, some way.

Birdland and Lush - I'm really sorry about your dogs. One of my friends from my old workplace just had to have her dog put down as well, and she was in tears about it. She has a new puppy now, named Arwen. She says the puppy doesn't make up for the old one, but it's growing on her.

Rae - tulips are great. I remember being little and fascinated by our tulips in the front yard, since the bulbs would split every year. I'm sure they'll make it through OK - they're sort of like dandelions, you can never quite get rid of them (not, of course, that anyone sane would *want* to).

[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-22-2003, 01:06 AM   #18
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Alatįriėl - Bluebonnets! I had scads of them growing at my old house, and regret not thinking to transplant some to my new place.

Tulips are busting out all over, and I smile to think that such hardy, reliable bulbs used to be sold for a king's ransom back in the 18th century.

Hostas are starting to peep out of the ground, and I wonder if the woody groves of the Shire would have been a suitable place for hostas, or if they were reserved for the forest floor of wild Mirkwood.

I spent a fortune on an array of Allium giganteum bulbs, and am scanning the ground for signs of them. I could picture them as a suitable subject for a Pauline Baynes cover illustration of The Hobbit.

Thanks to all that expressed concerns for my old dog. She is doing much better, and has taken up her duties of alerting me to invasions of Ring Wraiths in the guise of postal employees. (But she still can't negotiate stairs.)
Old 03-22-2003, 04:44 AM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
and has taken up her duties of alerting me to invasions of Ring Wraiths in the guise of postal employees.
Attagirl! Attagirl! Good girl!!!

Many treats.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #20
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shaking the drenching March rain from my cloak, remnants of night mist trailing along behind mingled with pipeweed smoke, I entered Rivendell's Hall of Fire this evening ... in other words, a church meeting for planning a retreat / renewal weekend.

We sang, we read, we reflected.

Given the times we live in, we spoke of battle against an entrenched foe in Southron desert climes. How those not in the vanguard can support the ones more immediately in harm's way, and how each of us as individuals banded together in a Fellowship can make a difference.

Towards the end of our council, we were advised of the need to select a theme song. Within minutes, we settled on a most encouraging one! "The Flame Passes On" by White Heart.

A sample of the lyrics:

From the heart of the people comes love for the people
Love that is burning strong
O from one to another
This dream of forever ...
The flame passes on
O the light of the ages illumines the pages
The words of the ancient song
O faith is the fire that burns ever higher
And the flame passes on.

Wonderful that I have the opportunity to spend time among Elves this spring, and on March 25th of all days! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:31 PM   #21
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

*Stands up and bows to Gandalf*

That was very beautiful, that image is gorgious, thank you for something wonderful like that [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 08:24 AM   #22
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Gandalf,

"Renewal weekend" sounds really wonderful. I've never heard the song you quoted; what's the musical emotion in it? Is it energetic or meditative, etc?

I am glad you had a good weekend. It sounds refreshing and peaceful.

[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #23
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I like White Heart Gandalf, and I really enjoyed that picture, too. Where ever did you find it?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #24
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gorwingel:

Hail and well met! * returns your bow * You have quite an eye for beauty, and kindred to my own, given that you yourself grant us all quite a nice view of Imladris. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Is that where you'll be spending your springtime, then?

mark12_30:

The musical emotion in "The Flame Passes On" is one of hopeful dedication, steadfastness, and inspirational courage of the sort that comes in handy when facing down a dragon, a balrog, or a difficult decision atop Mt. Doom. The "ancient song" being of course The Music.

Raefindel:

Happy to know you're a fellow fan of White Heart! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] As for the finding of images, it's all a matter of search engines, key words, and a bit of hunting.

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #25
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Raefindel

I believe the picture comes from this site:

Tolkien images
Old 03-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #26
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Gandalf, I would love to spend my Springtime at a place like that, among the flowers and the elves, enjoying music and having a good time. Though like the members of the fellowship, I would have to make a long and perilous journey accross unknown lands to even reach a place similar to the last homely house.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:23 PM   #27
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Thank You, Envinyatar. I found it. Wow! that is an extensive site.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #28
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Dear Gandalf:

Quote:
The musical emotion in "The Flame Passes On" is one of hopeful dedication, steadfastness, and inspirational courage of the sort that comes in handy when facing down a dragon, a balrog, or a difficult decision atop Mt. Doom
Sounds like something I should put in my library. Or better yet, in the cd drive in my car. I could use a few songs like that.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #29
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Crocuses everywhere, and daffodils waiting in the wings... and the woods are glorious. Glorious. The streams are rushing and full, and even the muddy tracks are a joy.

Ithilien is a good place to be.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:26 PM   #30
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Ahhhh Spring... the perfect time for a Gamgee to come out to the downs once again!
I don't know how I will be making it Tolkien-ish, but I will try to be outdoors a lot. I am going to try and take nice long walks, perhaps help my mother with the flowers and gardening... since I'll be there this spring/summer.
It will be full of Tolkien no matter what, though. I can't seem to get away from it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But that's a good thing!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #31
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Tigerlily, since you mention outdoors, walking, and making it Tolkienish, have you checked out the "Walk To Rivendell" thread? We'd love to have you!

...and what's the garden like? Do tell; you've got an audience here...

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #32
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Gandalf...mmm, very nice [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Are there any more? (Lyrics).
Old 04-04-2003, 10:30 PM   #33
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Elf ears on a Stick

I wanted to share this with you; It's a picture of a flower we use often in the shop called "Bells of Ireland" but I think they look like Elf ears on a stick.

Old 04-05-2003, 12:29 AM   #34
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

LOL Rae! "Elf Ears on a Stick"? Sounds like something you'd deep-fry and serve at the Mordor County Fair.

Spring storms have hit Ohio. It's times like these that a cozy hobbit hole would feel alot safer then a drafty ol' 100-year-old house.

"Ho-Ho-Ho to the bottle we go
To heal our hearts and drown our woes.
Rain may fall and wind may blow
But we'll just huddle down below.
For thunderstorms we don't give a lick.
We've beer and Elf-Ears-On-A-Stick!"
Old 04-05-2003, 11:00 AM   #35
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

LOL! I love it Birdie!
Old 04-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #36
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Hm. Well, my two gardens are fairing 'fairly well', so to speak. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] This spring I hope to have the strength to tend them, what with dealing with more children at work than all of the hobbit I take my screen name from's descendants combined, trying to do "spring cleaning" (which for me mostly means cleaning my teddy bear collection), the likes of which hasn't been seen since Mr. Frodo moved out of Bag End! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
An' then there's tendin' to my other li'l LOTR home,#3 Bagshot Row(which I still return to even though Mr. Frodo's left me Bag End.....)

Speakin' of flowers, there are the most gorgeous fringed tulips growin' in the garden plot at th' church.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:57 AM   #37
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

My gardens are buried under several inches of cold, drippy, white stuff. *glower*

I wish this snow would go off to Hobbiton, where folks might enjoy it.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #38
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

It didn't rain today! and I planted more stuff! WooHoo! It's not been cold but it's been extremely wet and even the staunchest hobbit-gardener or the most botanical elf would have been discouraged.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:22 PM   #39
Lush
Fair and Cold

Question

I come roll around in yours flower patches? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2003, 08:51 PM   #40
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

If you don't mind getting wet, Have at it!