The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #681
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Just a few thoughts before I go back reading a bunch of essays...

As it has been frequently said the wolves were just phenomenal. A few things I think why they succeeded that well:

- They were incredibly skilled in leading the villagers away from them with subtle things and carefully timed posting. (Yes when I first realised whom the wolf-bunch included I said to myself "Oh dear god, this is nasty" but then I rethought it and as there were a quite tough-looking village against them as well I decided that would be fine)
- Their boldness to vote in a row to their mate Greenie who in turn made a huge favour to the rest with sticking to defend morm so vehemently to her last breath as that was I think one of the key reasons morm was lynched the next Day.
- Spotting Kath in time and making all those ruthless but wise kills they made.
- Darn good luck they had; like The Might producing the first double-lynch of innocents at the last minute, Rikae withdrawing from the game because of Mac's role being accidentally revealed, morm being the ranger, Kuru and Farael focusing on tearing each other apart, Lommy making a colossal mistake with the two others when she finally really got track of Fea (and so no one would believe her on Fea either) etc...
- Sooo beautiful doublelynch they orchestrated on Day5. It was a masterpiece indeed! What a pearl of co-operation and cunning!

And a few notes in passing...

Lommy: I was indeed quite impressed how right you were deducting Kath's dreams! But "low modding ethics" you said? And the whole game was about ethics - at least narrationwise... and if you're referring to my PM's with the wolves, then what's the problem there if I try to cheer some people up...

Mac: I know the feeling when your hands tremble over the keyboard and your heartrate just goes to a gazillion at the last minutes. It's just so much fun! And some people say you can't get "real experiences" in front of a computer! But they've never played werewolf in a critical moment I'd presume.

I was really sorry to see Nerwen and Sally go that early as I'd have loved to see them in action a bit longer... well one always is sad to lose a contributing player and someone has to go but anyways. I'm looking forwards to seeing you in the next ones! Also Rikae's quite understandable withdrawal was a nasty blow to the village when they would have needed you the most...

Lovely reading those PM's wolves!

~*~

A statistical fact: the villagers had 5 lynchings in which they killed 6 ordinary villagers and 1 wolf...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #682
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Yeah Lommy I was so impressed with that post! You got all the dreams straight off and in the right order!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #683
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Night 1

Quote:
Ranger Picks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

++Sally

It's basically between Brin, Rikae, and Sally. Rikae is generally accepted as innocent but wolves tend to stay away from that kill for a day or two. Both Sally and Brin seem innocent enough but had some decent suspicions of people who are still alive, ergo it will spread a bit more confusion than killing Rikae. I'm going for Sally as she suspected me so it would make sense for wolves to kill her in an attempt to set me up. Brinn voted for Nerwen so her suspicions lied with an innocent...so it would be less likely to use her as a set up tool.
Night 2

Quote:
My pick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to protect Fea.

It seems improbable, even for Fea, to be a wolf and the first to vote for Green. Her change on me which she used some sound reason also makes me feel that perhaps she is the seer and dreamt of me. Again, I'm probably wrong and she is a wolf that is willing to: kill off her own to prove her innocence...she is the type that would do that too

At least I was correct about Rikae being innocent.
*sigh* Fea was a wolf and I'm an idiot! I can picture Fea now laughing hysterically about this. The problem is, I am generallyd dreamt of early on so good or bad my role is usually known so it seemed that Fea had a near 180 turn on me which made me think of her as innocent.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #684
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
*sigh* Fea was a wolf and I'm an idiot!
Not at all morm. You also said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morm in PM
she is a wolf that is willing to: kill off her own to prove her innocence...she is the type that would do that
Which was just an accurate description of her. I guess Lommy was the first to actually start suspecting her on that and it was only on Day4! So not bad indeed at that point of the game - even if you chose "badly" on that Night.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #685
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

What wouldn't one do to make an excuse to have a pause with doing one's work...

But with the wolves being so excellent there was one nasty drawback from my point of view. For I had decided it in the beginning that I would make my narrations in a way that would lead the werewolves - through their Nightly discussions - to become more and more good in the end. I indeed thought that at some point they would cease killing the hobbits for good and would just lock them up or something. But the hobbits would have become crueller and crueller by Day so that it would indeed have raised the question who was good and who was bad in the end...

Sadly it never got that far...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #686
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Which was just an accurate description of her.
Fair enough.

Still, I'd like to put out there that though I voted for Greenie and though I knew that if she kicked it it would make me look good, I wasn't actually trying to kill her. Just trying to vote safe with time constraints.

Y'all are gonna love the brilliant strategy I had early on which I (probably very wisely) chose not to share:

I was going to 'reveal' myself as a seer a few days into the game, hand the village a wolf or two and one or two confirmed innocents, battle it out with the Seer and take one for the team. And if you're wondering, yes: I totally would have ratted out the rest of the wolves to save my own wolvish hide if I had thought it was gonna work..

The main downfall of this strategy is that eventually the real seer would be revealed and I'd die.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #687
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Night 1

Ranger Picks

++Sally

It's basically between Brin, Rikae, and Sally. Rikae is generally accepted as innocent but wolves tend to stay away from that kill for a day or two. Both Sally and Brin seem innocent enough but had some decent suspicions of people who are still alive, ergo it will spread a bit more confusion than killing Rikae. I'm going for Sally as she suspected me so it would make sense for wolves to kill her in an attempt to set me up. Brinn voted for Nerwen so her suspicions lied with an innocent...so it would be less likely to use her as a set up tool.

Aw, shucks, thanks. And then I killed you. Ummmm my bad?

Yeah I knew Morm had something up his sleeve the whole game. I just thought it was the wrong kind of something.

So I can't find the post right now, but at some point I said that if I was wrong about Farael the wolves could bathe me in barbeque sauce and put me to bed with an apple in my mouth. Feel free to take me up on it as long as it's ketchup. I hate barbeque sauce. Just wanted to throw that in
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #688
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Well, I can tell I was maybe the most surprised here when I realised people actually believed my Brinniel case. I didn't really imagine I could get her lynched if I posted a case against her half an hour before the deadline... But it worked. I was laughing aloud when people started voting her.
Well, I for one never fell for your "let's lynch Brinniel" case!

As soon as you started to make that case against me with so little time left in the Day, I seriously began to question you. And I was more baffled than anything on how everyone else so quickly took the bait. I knew a wolf was behind it, and I figured it was most likely you. I tried to warn people, hence my screaming post, "You're falling into a trap!" I even asked people to kill me if it meant avoiding a double lynch. Then when I was proven innocent, they could seriously look at you toMorrow. I guess I just looked a little too desperate.. But who knows what would've happened if the game had gone for another Day...for all we know everyone could've decided to finally lynch Might and we would still be doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
It was not a slip!

I was responding to Volo, expecting him to be after me this day. "Even if you're convinced of my guilt, then don't forget there's two more you shouldn't forget". The statement was for Volo on the assumption that he was sure I'm a wolf, putting myself into his position.
Oh, well that's actually a relief to know because now I feel at least a little less embarrassed. Though I think had I caught it, I probably wouldn't have trusted you so easily as before, despite the fact you'd probably shrug off any comments about that sentence pretty easily.

Seriously, after that I'm never going to trust Mac again! I think it's partly because we've been put on the same team so often (both as wolves and innocents), that I just subconcsiously did. After all, the innocent vibe I got from him was more from a gut feeling. Silly me. I've learned my lesson.

Btw, throughout the game I was taking notes on yellow pad of paper (basically the size of half a sheet of regular notebook paper). Most of those notes were used for my analysis on Day 2 (which took way too long and were of little use). By the end of the game, I had used up almost the entire pad of paper (I counted 33 pages)!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #689
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually, I can remember one time a double-lynch did turn out well, though that was an exception to the rule. The first time I modded a WW game, the last lynch of the game was a tie between Gil-Galad and Garin, since the villagers weren't sure which one was a wolf. Gil was innocent, but Garin did turn out to be the last wolf.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #690
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
VICTORY! MWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAA!

Belated cheers everyone! This was a great game indeed. It was nice playing with you guys. Perhaps I'll try again some day.

Oh dear. Like I said to Lommy one day, I'll never ever want to be a wolf in my first ww game again (great logic, eh?)

And btw, sorry morm for blackmailing you, I just had to try it.. Never thought it might actually work, though

Thanks dearies, you were lovely.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #691
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
And btw, sorry morm for blackmailing you, I just had to try it.. Never thought it might actually work, though
See? Look! I can be trusted!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #692
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Btw, throughout the game I was taking notes on yellow pad of paper (basically the size of half a sheet of regular notebook paper). Most of those notes were used for my analysis on Day 2 (which took way too long and were of little use). By the end of the game, I had used up almost the entire pad of paper (I counted 33 pages)!
I had 51 pages of A6.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #693
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Actually, I can remember one time a double-lynch did turn out well, though that was an exception to the rule. The first time I modded a WW game, the last lynch of the game was a tie between Gil-Galad and Garin, since the villagers weren't sure which one was a wolf. Gil was innocent, but Garin did turn out to be the last wolf.
It also worked (sort of) in my game, when the villagers lynched Voloseer and Macwolf at once, if I remember correctly.

I am opposed to multi-lynches as a rule, but still, that was a fun narration to write.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #694
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
It also worked (sort of) in my game, when the villagers lynched Voloseer and Macwolf at once, if I remember correctly.

I am opposed to multi-lynches as a rule, but still, that was a fun narration to write.
I remember that. Probably my favorite game to date.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #695
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
And as someone somewhere already pointed out: I (seer) and Legate (ranger) made sure of a doublelynch of the only remaining unknowns to claim a victory for the village in Gil's game not a long ago...

So it works both ways... depending on the situation.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #696
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
And as someone somewhere already pointed out: I (seer) and Legate (ranger) made sure of a doublelynch of the only remaining unknowns to claim a victory for the village in Gil's game not a long ago...

So it works both ways... depending on the situation.
Yes but two unknowns that early in the game...odds aren't good.