The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #641
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
The third time that Aule helped, he crafted vassals that caught the nectar of light that flowed from the Trees.
What? More dwarves again?
Isn't that slavery?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #642
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
start creating a congratulations threat on The Barrow-Downs
I just thought of this psycho person, writing to people on their birthday: "I am going to congratulate you... fear me...!"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #643
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I was earing a snack today
This is a modern era. One does not just taste, one does not even smell. Even the professional wine-tasters should learn to first listen to the liquid, as that's also one way to prove its quality.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #644
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I was reading very old RPG posts today and I shouldn't have. My English really was pretty horrible back then. Or what do you think of this one:

Quote:
Lingwë was the third child in the family. The eldest child, a daughter, had died right after her birth, so Lingwë had only one elder sibling to couple with.
*dies*

Okay, it is amusing, I know and I just hope it's just a typo, not bad English...

...or anything Freudian!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #645
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bit mean because you aren' t meant to edit WW posts

then a few thoughs before going to bed

Seldom a chance of a simple answer from this downer....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #646
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
his fat was pretty sealed
So he had a nice-looking shirt on - or just vertical stripes?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #647
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I bet a band of Orcs could play some good trash metal too
Is that like scrap metal?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #648
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's not exactly a typo, but when I was giving a children's church lesson a while ago, I said Aragorn instead of Abraham, and thorougly confused everyone - including myself.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #649
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
It's not exactly a typo, but when I was giving a children's church lesson a while ago, I said Aragorn instead of Abraham, and thorougly confused everyone - including myself.
Haha, funny

This reminded me of an episode that happened about half a year ago, we were having a practice with our speech class, we went to a big historical church to practice how well we can speak in large areas. We have been given a piece of paper with a short biblical text which we were supposed to speak aloud; it was from the Revelation chapter 1, and at one moment when the text goes like this:

Quote:
John to the seven churches which are in Asia:
Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come;
and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
And from Jesus Christ
I had the urge to automatically continue:
Quote:
on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
The main reasons why the continuation popped automatically into my head was probably from part caused by the pace of the texts (it would fit quite well) and the mention of the throne, and also because in my native language, the biblical text says "And from Jesus Christ, who..." and the Ring poem says "One for the Dark Lord, who sits on his throne..." using the very same rather archaic pronoun for "who".

But it was interesting - and slightly tense, as I really almost said it, and it would have caused probably quite surprised expressions from the audience.

P.S. I guess these both could go to the "Top ten signs you are addicted to LotR", though. Maybe that would be better... well, but since it's already here...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 10-20-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #650
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Beware of fanged geometry!
Quote:
and the cube bit
Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #651
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Beware of fanged geometry!
Or previous seasons' horror best-sellers...
Old 10-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #652
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Or previous seasons' horror best-sellers...
?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #653
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
?
Weren't there like two horror movies called "The Cube"? And didn't they in a way bite?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #654
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Shows how often I've been to the cinema lately... As Treebeard said, "They are falling rather behind the world in there, I guess".
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #655
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*dies of laughter*

Here's my own...

Quote:
Gandalf - geat or a joke of a wizard?
Is he from Germany, or is he the thing that they use to get molten metal into the mold? And he could still be a joke...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #656
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Here's my own...

Is he from Germany, or is he the thing that they use to get molten metal into the mold? And he could still be a joke...
Aren't Geats supposed to be from Gotland?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #657
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Aren't Geats supposed to be from Gotland?
Maybe. I'm no expert on this.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #658
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Another one, this time from some old thread:

Quote:
Well, Elbereth was most beloved of the Elves because it was she who took the heaviest labor of creating the stars and hollowing the Silmarils.
Yes, she hollowed them, she carved and carved them day and night, without rest, until they were holey.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #659
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I caught this one shortly after reading this thread (but I wasn't looking for one, honest! )

Quote:
They could really sell OFF Bug Repellent,
With all of those bugs in the Marshes they needed it!
And the last thing they needed was Frodo killing over because of West Nile.
Who was Over? And why don't I remember him?

Last edited by Bom Tombadillo; 08-09-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Name removal
Bom Tombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #660
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Also he was aloud to use his full power...
Ah, so did he shout about it? Make public speeches? Mutter under his breath? Whatever it was, he couldn't keep his power silent!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #661
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

One of mine that I did today:

Quote:
Yes, "head over hills" in all of its meanings.
How many meanings does "head over hills" have? And how big must the head be, if it goes over some hills???
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #662
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
How many meanings does "head over hills" have? And how big must the head be, if it goes over some hills???
Probably about as big as the man in the moon who came down too soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #663
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

My own.

Quote:
When that backdrop fades away, technology (and weapons...) grows stronger, and so does the physical power of the kingdom (perhaps), but it's not in fool bloom anymore.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #664
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A little seasonal goodwill might be directed to a poster who I think is an ESL speaker...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #665
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
a heroine addict
A reader who is addicted to heroic female main characters would have a difficult time enjoying most of Tolkien's tales...

Pssst, wanna read about Lúthien?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #666
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Naked names!!

Quote:
...the names suggest that those who bare them...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #667
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Naked names!!

Uncloaked, obviously!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #668
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Uncloaked rings too:

Quote:
...who used to bare The Ring..
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #669
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
...he had a prince on his head...
Evidently, he and the prince were great acrobats.