The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #361
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Ah, but . . .

Naming your child Wargy? Would that not be a source of hardship for her/him? Wargs, after all, have suffered so much discrimination that, had anyone less been subject to the same treatment, they would have gone mad and ended the world in a flurry of triple-ripple peach ice cream.

Of, course, the name "Warg" alone confers great strength of mind and spirit to anyone who deserves such a title. Only a few of the Eruchín in history have been given it. Yondaimë, I believe, was one, and so did Lúthien, Finrod (my dad), Huor, Tuor, Idril, and Aragorn. Of those I have named, only Tuor, Idril and Aragorn did not receive that title posthumuosly.

I just hope that your child would bear the name with dignity. Then despite all the abuse she or he might receive from a world shorn of respect for the wonderful Wargs, she or he will rise above it, as the Wargs have ever done.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-28-2005 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Idril didn't die.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 AM   #362
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Also, could the mere name have some kind of effect on the child? The sheer power of the Warg coming through this link could cause the child some difficulty in life.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #363
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well made points, my comrades. Tis an interesting point you make, Kath, that the very name may in some way distort and pervert my child. I assure you all, though, my children will not be as the other cretins of this earth who view Wargs with disdain and revulsion. My children will see Wargs as the wondrous and great creatures they truly are, and shall be the better for it, I assure you.

My children being bullied is linked into this, Nilpaurion. After all, if you were named 'Nelson' after Mr. Mandella in apartheid S.Africa, that may be a source of ridicule and perhaps worse, but it would be the classic situation of words never hurting.

My son shall, fellow Warg lovers, be a great and honourable man- his visage shall be that of the most noble line of Gondor and his heart shall be likened to that of the Dunedain. Let me tell you, if any man should be named Wargy, it shall be my son!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #364
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Indeed I have searched for this new gorup of Wargs in my area. Evidence includes mysterious dissapearances in my area, something the benevolent Winged Wargs would not do. Unfortunately I have not been able to track down the Sorcerous Wargs as yet. They might be in hiding from the winged Wargs.

Samwise, a child with a name such as Wargy would be both blessed and cursed. Blessed, because the name of the Warg in itself is a great and powerful thing, conferring great honor and prestige upon those who bear it. Cursed because of the vile ridicule and vicious slander that such a name would bring.

Also, some of you may know that Encaitare has made Warg & Warg Rider Appreciation Thread Live Journal icons, by request of my sister Oromin. Many of them feature quotes from you Samwise. They can be found here.

Last edited by High King Fingolfin; 11-12-2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
High King Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #365
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Those are great! I have no idea what they actually do, but I feel honoured and blessed that I have been quoted. Man, Wargs can make you so happy, can't they!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #366
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
They're like avatars, but are used for blogs. I just made Fingolfin a warg avatar, which will be up as soon as I upload it. I hope you like it!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:57 AM   #367
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Indeed, Fingolfin's new avatar is most agreeable. Get the boot in those horrid, horrid movie 'Wargs' (and I use the term advisedly) at any opportunity, that's what I say.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #368
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Absolutely wonderful avatar. You two must be very proud of yourselves.

And I had noted with much confusion that the Appreciation Thread was spreading through the internet with the beauty of pure osmosis. We must keep tabs on these developments.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #369
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Indeed we are! To extol the glory of the Wargs through signature and avatar is a blessed thing indeed! The movie 'Wargs' are foul things, totally unfit to the great and esteemed title of Warg!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #370
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! How about a referendum?

We could cease to apply the most high name of "Wargs" to the movie . . . lemmingstuff.

I vote ++yes.

Of course, we should find a new name for them. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #371
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

I most definitely agree! ++yes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #372
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

A fine idea! I had previously used 'Wargs' instead of Wargs, but that is nowhere near strong enough.

They are pretty much just invented monsters. How about: Jackson's lupines?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #373
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
They are pretty much just invented monsters. How about: Jackson's lupines?
Abomination comes to my mind when trying to describe those things.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #374
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
What we need is something short and easy to remember, and preferably somewhat derogatory. Acronyms do well...

How about SLOP: Silly Lemmings Of Prey.

Something along those lines...

Plural, of course, would be SLOPs.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #375
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

We could always just call them hyena-lemmings - they look like hyenas and act like lemmings.

Last edited by High King Fingolfin; 08-02-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #376
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High King Fingolfin
We could always just call them hyena-lemmings - they look like hyenas and act like lemings.
Maybe a mixture... Hemmings or Lyenas.

I like Lyenas. That "lie" in there is quite appropriate, in light of their lying as to their real race.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #377
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Lyenas is the perfect name Formendacil! It encompasses all aspects of those foul things.

Now let us cease with the discussion of those foul Lyenas and return to the glory of the Warg!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #378
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Lyenas, defo! What joy it brings me to leave the thread for mere hours and return to find an almost overwhelming number of replies! This thread is so great!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #379
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Indeed this thread is great! So great we cannot even comprehend its greatness. This is barely anything however, compared to the greatness, glory and power of the Warg!

Last edited by High King Fingolfin; 08-04-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Taking out a mistake.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #380
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm...

Why not simply refer to them (the movie Wargs) as Wargless? This would apply better, as they are not truly Wargs, nor do they live up to the majesty of one. They do not have 'The Warg', and are thus mockeries, such as Orcs were made to be of Elves.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #381
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

That is true, CaptainofDespair: they are mockeries.

It makes me wonder just how deeply Peter Jackson's hatred of Wargs runs. Or was it Jackson's fault? For too long have we ignored these cinematic abominations! We must investigate the issue and discover who is responsible for this unholy catastrophe.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #382
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
But first Eomer I would suggest going to the cast members of LotR and showing them this thread, as when I was listening to the cast commentary today I found that they all seem to think those film mockeries were an acceptable version of a warg! Now really if you are going to be in a film that is based on a book you could at least read it and get the history of the story and it's characters straight! It's just as bad as the assumption that the Fell Beast is in fact a Nazgul!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #383
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Totally, Kath! I have just had a look through TTT EE and, sure enough, during the Lyena scene there are nothing but sicophantic little whines of praise for our nemesis here at 'The Thread', Peter 'I'm-a-big-loser-and-will-surely-get-my-comuppance-when-I'm-brutally-ripped-to-pieces-by-a-Warg' Jackson. It's vomit inducing.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #384
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
But first Eomer I would suggest going to the cast members of LotR and showing them this thread, as when I was listening to the cast commentary today I found that they all seem to think those film mockeries were an acceptable version of a warg! Now really if you are going to be in a film that is based on a book you could at least read it and get the history of the story and it's characters straight! It's just as bad as the assumption that the Fell Beast is in fact a Nazgul!
Quite shocking, indeed, how terribly Jackson has perverted the minds of others. So many have been misled by his apocalyptic vision. And not just crazy fangirls watching the movies, but the members of the cast themselves. In another life, Ian, Viggo, Elijah, Miranda, etc, etc, might all have been great defenders of the Warg legacy- perhaps even members of this great society. But because of Jackson's corruption, they shall never know this great beauty.

One must wonder: what evil being was it that first drew Jackson to the dark side? Although my specialty is first and second age Warg-eology, I might try and dig through the annals of more recent Warg-haters, and try to determine from whence came the New Zealander's hatred of these great beasts.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #385
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Indeed, I have researched this very subject. I have found that the hatred stems from an early encounter by colonists with several savage Wargs. This has evolved over the years into a total hatred of Wargs by the entire population. A very sad misunderstanding indeed.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #386
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Re:

The world, as said by a few people enlightened enough to know the truth, is Varsur's Ring. Truly, Varsur, the great dark Warg, must have exerted his influence much on this PJ character, enabling the seeds of Warg-corruption to grow in his uneducated mind.

Alas, if we only have enlightened him soon enough . . . who knows what praise the world will give to the Wargs? Who knows what peace shall wrap a world in awe of the majesty of Wargs?

But it is not fated to be so, for Varsur still lives.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #387
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Terrifying.

Here's another thing which annoys me: How come Wargs are only deemed to be the carriers of Orcs? Did the film-makers ever read The Hobbit? Wargs are, as we all know, far mightier than Orcs. It is true that, when Wargs and Orcs make alliances, the Wargs will carry the Orcs to battle for the purposes of haste. But Wargs are not horses. And the comparison is a deep insult.

Could horses move the very lands and the oceans? Could horses master every tongue in Arda? Could horses defeat a team of Elves on University Challenge? I think not.

Wargs are not pawns to the Orc (they are not even pawns to the Duck, Samwise). Yet that is how they have been presented.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #388
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
It makes me wonder just how deeply Peter Jackson's hatred of Wargs runs. Or was it Jackson's fault? For too long have we ignored these cinematic abominations! We must investigate the issue and discover who is responsible for this unholy catastrophe.
Indeed. And I think I've found some facts that prove that it is Mr. Jackson who was in charge of the attempt to profane the Wargs. If you're a sensitive person you probably should not read the following evidence.

The design galleries of the Two Towers reveal that Ben Wootten and Warren Mahy are responsible for the looks of the Lyenas. I was abhorred to listen their comments of their sketches. Mr. Wootten talked about one image where two Lyenas are chasing an intimidated horse. "How terrified the horses would be fighting
dogs", he said! This isn't the only time he talks about Wargs as dogs.

But it's really Mr. Mahy's work we see on screen. However, he shifts the blame to Mr. Jackson telling that he wanted to have rather a dog than a wolf. He would also have liked to see features of a reptile in his Lyenas. And why is this Mr. Jackson's fault? Because by approving the sketches he made himself guilty of spreading this unbelievable heresy of Wargs.

This kind of madness seems too horrible to be derived from a human being. It must be as Nilp said. Mighty is the influence of Varsur!

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 08-09-2005 at 09:21 AM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #389
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Terrifying.

Here's another thing which annoys me: How come Wargs are only deemed to be the carriers of Orcs? Did the film-makers ever read The Hobbit? Wargs are, as we all know, far mightier than Orcs. It is true that, when Wargs and Orcs make alliances, the Wargs will carry the Orcs to battle for the purposes of haste. But Wargs are not horses. And the comparison is a deep insult.

Could horses move the very lands and the oceans? Could horses master every tongue in Arda? Could horses defeat a team of Elves on University Challenge? I think not.

Wargs are not pawns to the Orc (they are not even pawns to the Duck, Samwise). Yet that is how they have been presented.
Well, we both know Orcs are down-right dirty liars. In my opinion, it is most likely that the orcs allowed this lie to penetrate deep into everything Warg, which has now tainted the minds of so many with the deception that Wargs are inferior. The only way to cleanse this is through many, many seminars on "Wargs: The Glorious Truth".
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #390
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair
The only way to cleanse this is through many, many seminars on "Wargs: The Glorious Truth".
Is is appropriate to suggest that such edification begin with the creation of a wargish language so that then we may see wargs face to face. Just consider all the expressions of foul Speech which darken our current glasses.

First, the frightfully unfair designation of a warg as a liar. "Never cry warg" they say. Well, to them I say, "Your pants are on fire."

And then there is that noxious saying, "A warg in sheep's clothing." I tell you, what need would a warg have of sheepskin given his own glorious coat?

And confusing wargs with pigs! Since when is it correct to tell children to refrain from 'warging it down'?

I wonder if it might be well to begin with a seminar on metawargs and similorcs. Until people understand the true applicability of wargs, we will face such outrageous allegories as these expressions contain. Why, it is a veritable Tower of Babelorc that must be overcome so that people stop discriminating so unfairly against the wargs of Babylon. Yea, we all await the great wargsuntide.

I humbly suggest you create a reading list for such a series of seminars, beginning with a book by one Fairhe Mowarg, Never Cry Warg wherein he learned one summer to live among the wargs and endeavoured to dispel many wrongful assumptions.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #391
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

You're wrong, Eomer, we're all pawns to the duck.

These seminars do certainly sound like a beneficial way to spend time. I think we need some discussion of Warg literature, also. Too often we concentrate on what we mere mortals have said about Wargs, when we would surely be better learning from the very mouths and pens of our heroes.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #392
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

We certainly are Samwise but the Wargs are not. No duck is that powerful. And there is a sentence which could incur great wrath.

As for teachings by Wargs, we have our ancestors to thank for the mess we find ourselves in. Long ago the Wargs gave Men gifts the likes of which we have ne'er before or after seen, yet we mocked them and spat on them, foolishly thinking that we were superior. Well, we have paid dearly. I was reading about scientists who were claiming that the human race does not get more intelligent, that there are and will always be people of low intelligence among us. One Chilean Warg enthusiast was murdered the week before the study's results were revealed. Now, it seems clear to me that this is a warning to those who would dare to expose the cover-up, that the reason for the poorness of Men is not to do with genetics, but rather to do with the scorn directed toward the grace of the Wargs.

For so Eru had proclaimed: "Let all ye Men know that the Wargs shall be thy guide." (Book of Lost Tails, p46.)
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #393
Formendacil
Dead Serious

While recently delving through some obscure First Age manuscripts, I came across the mention of a "were-Warg". What with all the popularity of the Werewolf games of late, I decided to do more research on this subject, and present my findings here.

"Werewolves" are, in fact, a phenomenon which is related to the great Wargs of yore. The modern perception of them as rabid biters is a flaw of their true purpose.

There are, in fact, not werewolves in real life. No, this popular image is a distortion and a mixing of WereWargs and werelyenas.

The werelyenas more greatly resemble werewolves of the two. Werelyenas are people who have been bitten by another werelyena (usually rabid), thus making them a werelyena. To be a werelyena is the greatest misfortune that may befall a man (or Elf!) without killing him, for once a month he is forced to transform into the most hideous of nature's beasts.

A WereWarg, on the other hand, is a very different phenomenom. A WereWarg is a Man, Elf, Hobbit, or Dwarf who has been selected by the Wargs for a very rare honour. A WereWarg is a Man (etc) who has been given the power by the Wargs to become one of them at times.

There are several great figures of history that appear to have been WereWargs. Among these are Finrod Felagund- who as a result of his Warg-given translation abilities was able to befriend Men. Another famous WereWarg was Elendil son of Amandil. It was clearly the fact that he was a WereWarg that saved him from Sauron whilst in Numenor, and helped him to defeat Sauron and overthrow him. Alas that Isildur was not a WereWarg as well...

The third known WereWarg lived in the late Third Age, and was, in fact, Samwise Gamgee- who resisted the temptation of the Ring of his own will, and stoutly survived all the dangers of the road, while supporting the Ringbearer.

Sadly, there are also some known cases of werelyenas. Eol the Dark Elf was bitten as a child, and his evil disposition and ill effect on his son were clearly derived from this. Also a known werelyena was Khamul the Easterling- who accepted his Ring of Power in hopes of escaping his curse. The Ring was unsuccessful of course, and all that happened was that at times Sauron had a Black Lyena instead of a Black Rider.

Other cases are referred to in the text, but not given by name. Possibly, while I am in Europe, I shall have the opportunity to research some of their texts and learn more- possibly about WereWargs, or maybe another facet of Warglore.

~Warg Scholar -

Formendacil~
Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #394
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well I think we can all aspire to something now: the glory of a WereWarg!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #395
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Over a most enjoyable lunch today I was discussing with a very close friend Wargs. What a great way to sypend time, eh. But there's more (though I should add this post could end at the first full stop and be more than worthwhile) to this story. We stumbled upon the subject of pronunciation of that greatest of words: Warg. My friend and I both agreed that our pronunciation was as it is written, as in lard. However, my friend's mum and my fiancee both choose to pronounce the word 'worg'. My question, as you may have anticipated, is how you guys pronounce the great word? Pray tell.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #396
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
My brother and I pronounce it as you do, rather like "lard" and with a hard G at the end.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #397
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I concur. But can you think of any other words beginning in 'War...' and being pronounced in such a way? It's war or warm or warble. But Warg seems to be one of a kind.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #398
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

In Monty Python yhe Hungarian guy said 'I want you' in the same way one would pronounce Warg. Does that count? Meh, forget it! Even I'll admit that's pretty shakey ground.

Oh, and by the way guys, let's hear it for the friend I had lunch with- for sitting there and talking Wargs. A big cheer for Ciro Orlando, eh?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #399
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Just a side note before I actually say anything which might make a lick of sense pretaining to the current discussion: When I first came to this forum I read the thread title as "The Warg and Warg Rider Application Thread" and thought "YES!!" vehemently. The End.

It really depends on how you break up the word in your mind, I think. To some people it could be W-arg (who tend to pronounce it closer to the word "rag" for some reason... oddly enough thats me.) and to others War-g ("worg")... then theres the Wa-rg qroup which... Well I don't claim to know how that would even sound .. Wah-er-gh? or Wah-er-gee? : |
Old 08-13-2005, 04:16 AM   #400
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Welcome, Valesse, to this, the Greatest Thread of All Time! I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who once said:
Quote:
Wargs are great, guys. In fact, so great that I can think of nothing better to discuss!
Well there you have it, eh? So, Wah-ar-gee? That sounds suspisciously like Wargy- and my goodness, that's a whole different story!