The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #41
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am sure you all mean well at the society, but I'm not sure you really understand the Warg, wild though these Wargs may be. Wargs are many times more powerful than Men and Elves and I am not sure that we could wipe out Wargs, whether by accident or even if we really put our minds to it.

However, it is nice to meet another Downer who is concerned about Wargs as we at the Appreciation Thread are.

I'm going to Madrid. There are several legends and myths concerning Wargs in the Spanish capital. I'll share some of them when I come back.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #42
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye A Formal Apology on Behalf of the Society

The Society for Nearsighted Elves would like to offer Eomer and Company our humblest apology for the misunderstanding.

It would appear that SOMEONE at headquarters was not wearing their prescriptive lenses while reading about the so-called "Warg Issue" before proposing an action to the rest of the sociey. This elf will remain annonymous, but offers his most humble apology. It just goes to show how important funding nearsighted elves really is. Because without our glasses, we're just a bunch of near-blind idiots with pointed ears.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding,

Maeggaladiel of the Four Eyes
The Society for Nearsighted Elves

PS-- Have fun in Madrid!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #43
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

With Eomer gone it appears I must take the warg and run with it, so to speak, as regards this thread. And so he goes to Madrid. Perhaps he will from afar sight the Great White Warg of Portugal. I can only hope.
I myself travelled over 350 miles yesterday in an attempt to sight that most infamous of wargs- the Greater Govan Warg. I was unfortunately denied this opportunity, but thankfully I was able to visit a Lesser Spotted Tree Warg in its natural habitat. a beautiful sight. with the Easter holidays on I'd be interested to hear of any warg sightings on the holiday travels.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #44
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Where have all the wargs gone? Who knows?
Anyway, I shall answer the question earlier posed regarding sightings of holiday wargs. It was on my recent trip to Dublin that I saw the Green Warg. Many have thought it a legend, but the green fur of this creature is indeed fact, though a misleading one. The green is, as you may have suspected, moss and fungus which thrives in the unusually long hair of what is in fact the long haired genus of the Celtic Warg, common in the highlands of Scotland and Eire.
The warg in question is known by the locals as 'Ivan' and his escapades are fondly recounted in folklore, often accompanied by the beat of the bodhram and the blow of the whistle. There is little which compares to an Irish folk song regarding wargs!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 AM   #45
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thank you Maeggaladiel! I did indeed have fun in Madrid and I recommend that you and the others check it out at some point in your lives.

Hail Samwise! I am glad of the effort you have put into the thread during my absence. I have heard of the Celtic Warg but have not yet seen it, Scottish though I am. One of these days I shall indeed go on a trek through the Highlands in order to discover this grand creature.

Little did I know that the Spanish hold Wargs in such high regard. I visited a quiet part of Madrid, where the tourists go not and the locals are generally left to go about their humble ways. In a small square call Herrera Marchena, there is a fabulous statue of a Warg, nigh on 30 feet high. Wonderful so it is. It dates back to the 17th century, and the inscription roughly translates as; "Oh Warg! Recieve our love and protect us throughout. We are your people." Its not exact but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Truly a sign that the Madrilenos love Wargs in much the same way as we love our Gods.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #46
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

A very short break there, Eomer. I did not expect to see you so soon, but I am glad you have returned, the weight and expectation of carrying the warg appreciation thread has been running me into the ground!
It sounds as though those crazy Spaniards sure know how to appreciate their wargs, if only in my home country the warg were so sweetly savoured. Indeed there is nought but statues of national 'heroes' and local mayors of 'repute', not even the slightest hint of a majestic warg, cast in bronze and towering over all other buildings as it surveys its kingdom.
I can but dream.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 AM   #47
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Narya

The biggest statue of a Warg is on a hill-top in Peru and it is over 850 feet tall.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #48
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I must say I'm not surprised, those crazy Peruvians sure love their wargs. The question I have often pondered on, though, is why they love wargs so much. I mean, sure, what's not to love, but the Peruvian people have a devotion unrivalled the world over. Where does that come from? Can anyone tell me?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 AM   #49
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Thumbs up

I can answer your question Samwise. Once upon a time there was an island in the middle of what we call the Pacific ocean. There were people on it. The population only went back a couple of generations because the original inhabitants were survivors of a ship wreckage. It was a very harsh place to live and many people drowned in fierce floods. They prayed for salvation, because they knew that, in a few years, everyone would be wiped out.

Then the Wargs came to them. They raised the island and brought it over to the place we call South America, where they fit it onto the edge of the continent. Now the people were in a safe environment. They were in contact with other people and their population grew and flourished.

To this day the people of Peru have love for Wargs that suffers no rival.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:36 AM   #50
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Shall there ever be a day of my life when I do not learn of yet another heroic warg act and have my love and admiration of the noble beasts swell beyond even my wildest imaginings? I doubt it!
Just the other day I learned of the greatest warg designer and architect ever, his name was Archibald Simpson. He designed and built with his own mighty paws the great bank of my home town. It is a magnificent building, standing 50ft tall with a magnificent statue of Britannia, a warg on either side of her. This bank was, on its opening day, held in awe by onlookers and peers of Archibald. One spectator said:

"I wouldn't have believed all they've said about wargs before today. But now, having seen what the paws and mind of one warg have produced, I can do nothing but to say 'I was wrong'. Wargs are obviously just as great as everyone says."

The local newspaper reported that

The crowd stood, dumbfounded, and hung on the every word of Mr Simpson, the warg who had created this wonder.

This unique event shows us just how great wargs can be, yet how unrecognised they shall forever go. The wonderous bank is now a public house, and few know the true story of Archibald Simpson. Those of us who do, though, wet our tongues there with nigh on religious fervour and often enjoy the famous 'warg burger'.
All is done, though, with bittersweet irony, the truth about Archibald almost forgotten.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #51
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

The Warg burger being an affectionate name for the dish I presume, rather than an actual plate of Warg meat?

This Archibald Simpson sounds like a truly wonderful being. I have frequented the Archibald Simpson public house in the past and I have yet to find a better place to spend some time and money on simple pleasures such as a pint of Guinness and a good discussion of Wargs.

I paraphrase a man called David, who once said of the Archibald Simpson; "It was designed perfectly. If it had been a millimetre higher it would have been too high, and if it had been a millimetre lower it would have been too low."

Until now I was unaware of the origins of the building. Now I am truly happy at knowing of this tremendous feat.

Samwise, do you have any ideas as to what Wargs did for simple pleasures?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:03 AM   #52
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

There are many reports as to what a warg would do to enjoy the simpler aspects of life. Some of them are far too foul to show on the downs, suffice to say that huge groups of wargs would gather in South America and 'enjoy one another.' (Carnally) Unbelievable, when you think on it.
However, other wargs have far more placid past times, for example dancing and singing. Few people, for example, know that Beethoven was a warg. Not the composer, of course, but Beethoven Drachmar, third Earl of Montenegro. It was due to a rather embarrassing and shambolic will in which Winston Beagle, second Earl of Montenegro, left his entire estate to a warg. I would be proud to live in the Earldom of a warg! I'm sure they were times of plenty!
It is also reported that some wargs enjoy a cloudy, white brew which is known as Leffe. It is said to be brewed by a seccluded clan of Belgian monks, and wargs repotedly can't get enough of it.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #53
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Have you tasted Leffe Samwise? A wonderful drink I consider it to be. I am unsurprised that the Wargs love it so.

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I came across a man in the street who, completely out of nowhere, turned to me and exclaimed "Wargs aren't so great." It seems that the popularity of this thread is growing if I am getting recognised in the street!

Of course, the man started to walk away from me, but in the time it took to get out of the range of my voice, he had already heard me shout at least 27 ways in which Wargs are indeed that great. Its just lucky for him that there was no Warg lurking nearby.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:25 AM   #54
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I have, of recent times, noticed a filthy and disgusting apathy in the world at large toward wargs, and if it's not apathy it's downright disdain! What has the fair warg, that most glorious of creatures, done to deserve this unfair and unreasonable place in society?
It is a question I have wrestled with on many a long, sleepless night. I can no longer count the times I have lain there, a cold sweat upon my body, trying to breathe yet having difficulty in doing so over man's inhumanity to wargs! The outrage!
As I write this I look out across the quad at my university. The sun is shining and the temperature is lovely. Many people are sitting out on this fair vista, sunning themselves and enjoying the wonders of creation. Little do they realise that nearby there are wargs, noble and good wargs, who are afraid to even leave their dens and hides for such is the wrath and persecution of these people. One must, I feel, ask serious questions regarding today's society when man and warg cannot live in harmony.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #55
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

A foul example of hatred. It is a truly disgusting trait - which most Men possess - that has people fearing and hating Wargs. They cannot even begin to comprehend where Mankind would be without the Warg. We here at the Appreciation Thread do have a reasonable idea where we would be without the Warg; somewhere akin to Hell!

On a lighter note, I discovered another fascinating thing about Wargs yesterday. Wargs actually introduced the vine to France. Remember that the next time you're sipping a glass of a fine Bordeaux red.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #56
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

That doesn't surprise me. It's not like we didn't know that wargs are conniseurs of style and chic. They probably introduced to cocoa bean to Brasil also. Perhaps I'll go off and do some research on that one. What a great way to spend an evening!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:09 AM   #57
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

There is a most delightful library in Guadeloupe which has a large section on Wargs. I once spent 5 consecutive days there learning about Wargs. Alas, I had to leave because I had a plane to catch to get back home. Nevertheless, I intend to go back there one day in the near future; so much remains to be discovered from the ancient scrolls in that building.

My faith in mankind took yet another knock earlier today when some mindless individuals shouted across the street at me, in order to say "Cull the Wargs!" I'll admit that I would take pleasure in seeing those imbeciles being ripped apart by a pack of ferocious Wargs. Is that wrong or harsh? I don't think so.

I was made slightly happier, however, when just seconds after this event, a young boy, probably about 6 years old, confronted the mob and yelled at them "No! Wargs are great!"

Always remember that there ARE good people out there.

And another thing, I saw a Warg footprint only 100 metres from my house! More on that next time.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 PM   #58
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well, after a day searching the libraries and annuls of this country I have discovered that my earlier claim was wrong, wargs did not introduce the cocoa bean to Brasil. What a mistake for me to make. No, dear friend, the wargs did far more: they introduced the tree to Brasil!
'So what?' I hear you cry, 'Shetland has no trees, and they manage fine!'
Perhaps, but let me remind you of a little geography:

THE AMAZON RAINFOREST!

Yes, that's right, it was wargs who, just after saving Peru, I imagine, travelled to Brasil and planted the first tree in what would be the greatest forest known to man. What greatness!
Oh, and also, I just discovered an album, available on a certain online shop with a name which has just been mentioned (no corporate sponsorship on this thread, oh no! Mmmm, that's some good Irn-Bru I'm just drinking now, as I always do when I go online. Ahem!) by Jimi Hendrix. It was an experimental album and it features the original version of several of his most famous songs, though with notable title differences. Highlights of the album include 'Little Warg' and 'The Wind Cries Warg.' What an awesome album!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #59
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Mmmm...sweet Bru...

That is fascinating Samwise. Right now I am compiling a tale about The Warg Rider. It is a tale filled with malice and evil, and yet only leaves the reader with a slight understanding of the extraordinary powers of The Warg Rider.

Oh, it makes me shiver with terror just thinking about that sick beast.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:26 AM   #60
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Such terror it would surely induce in even the stoutest of spirits. That is the terrifying power of the warg rider. I look forward to hearing this legacy at a later date. Though, hopefully, not too late.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #61
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

The Warg Rider

The Warg Rider was not just a manipulator of Wargs. He had armies of his own, containing mostly Orcs and some evil Men as well (and of course, several Wargs). He had sick purposes. Sauron, for example, at least had an understandable goal. He wanted to dominate Middle-earth. Not so the Warg Rider.

The Warg Rider (who was surely the most powerful Orc in the history of ME) delighted in distress and revelled in the suffering of others. His only goal was to inflict pain and misery on the world he lived in. The Warg Rider (whose true name is long forgotten) has been living this way for thousands of years.

On a time, The Warg Rider led an army in battle against the Men of Rohan. The Orcs were slaughtered, but The Warg Rider was able to escape the battle-scene with one possessed Warg, a mighty beast. They slinked through Rohan for days, but the Warg Rider had bad injuries, he was near death. The Warg carried him into a forest clearing and hid him, and went to seek help. It so happened that there was a small village about a mile from the forest, and the Warg was greeted by the people of Rohan. The people took him into their homes and healed him and fed him, but every night the Warg would sneak out into the forest and brought with him some food and drink for his master, the Warg Rider, and in this way he was healed back to his foul power.

When he was better, he summoned several Wargs to the forest. At night, in an act of supreme despicability, the Warg Rider ordered his Wargs to commit massacre in the village. He left only one person alive, a feeble old woman whose husband he had decapitated right in front of her. He left her alive because he wanted someone to tell the tale of the Warg Rider's exploits. He then stole much of the village's supplies of food and left the ravaged land, laughing sadistically as he walked away.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:42 AM   #62
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

My goodness, my blood runs chilled at this story of treachery and deceit. The Warg Rider is trully the coldest, most saddistical and manipulative creature ever to have lived. His dark gaze and foul smirk turn the hearts of men to poison and their spirits doth ruin.
For years he has scourged all that is good and just in the lands he chooses to victimise, just as he did in your story, Eomer. It is even told in Buckland of how he came and conversed with the hobbits who dwelt there on the edge of the Old Forest, though only the eldest of hobbits remembers it, and, after all, they're queer folks on the other side of the Brandywine.
Who knows if these stories are true? Who knows if the tale Fatty Bolger once told of a great battle between this Warg Rider and Old Man Willow are true? It is unlikely that there are any. Apart, perhaps, from Tom Bombadil. That, however, shall have to wait.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 AM   #63
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Bombadil's thoughts are hard to decipher in the best of times, but I often lie awake at night wondering what Tom thinks of the Warg Rider, and indeed of Wargs.

And vice versa. It is my opinion that Wargs were often guests in the House of Tom Bombadil. Ah! to be in the company of such fine beings. It is a wish I have.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #64
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

A song of Tom Bombadil

One day old Tom Bombadil-o
He went a walking-o
And what did he see before his eyes but that Old Man Willow
It was that fiend Old Man Willow!

But he was not on his own- nay
He was wrestling with a foe-ay
And who was that foe but old Tom's friend that he knew from elder day
Yes he'd saved in elder day!

Old Tom he ran to save him
Twas close and not much in
But Tom he spoke and the boughs they broke and so was Tom's friend freed
Oh, the Old Man spat him out!

Twas the great Warg Rider-ee
His face was warm and cheery
And he smirked and smiled and thanked dear Tom for saving he and wargy
Old Tom had saved his skin!

Now some they say he's evil
And others remark he's cold
But old Tom knows and old Tom sees and he knows he's really harmless
Oh, he's really just a lamb!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #65
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Nice rhymes Samwise! I note that you mention one 'Wargy'. Pray tell, is this the same Wargy that I am thinking of, namely the comedy Warg? What an oddball this fellow is, let me tell you!

More news on the growing reputation of the thread. I was watching WWE Raw last week, and couldn't help but notice a sign in the crowd that read "I love Wargs" and just underneath it said "barrowdowns.com"

Unfortunately, before too long security had removed the sign, probably because you're not allowed to advertise websites. For the rest of the show, if you ever looked for the Warg sign, all you could see was the infinitely irritating sign which was being held up a couple of rows behind the Warg lover, which read "Christian sucks!"

As we all know, the claim portrayed within this sign is completely innacurate. Christian is in fact a very talented wrestler and a hero to millions of aspiring youths throughout the world.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #66
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Ah, I thought that may cause confusion. But in answer to your question, no. In Tom's song the mention is 'wargy'- no capital letter and merely for the purposes of rhyming.
'Wargy', however, is an entirely different story which i feel I must be illucinated with regard to. Please, Eomer, do so!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #67
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Gladly Samwise! Well, what can I say about Wargy eh? If ever there was a perfect example of a warg with a split personality then its Wargy.

In public he is a loveable rogue, a fun-loving scamp who entertains children and delights parents with his vast array of comedic talents. He is a magician, a teller of jokes and a zany best friend to anyone who needs him all at once.

But there is a much darker, twisted side of Wargy that few people know about. The beast within Wargy lusts for horrific pleasures, including rape and murder. He is so skillful that he never gets caught, but he has left a trail of innocent victims in his wake. In short, he is one sick wretch.

A truly bizarre character.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #68
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Oh my goodness! It's wargs like this sick son of a monster that give the whole noble race of wargs a bad name! This kind of brutal two-faced nature leads to the tar-brushing of wargs as a race. If I ever get to meet this 'Wargy' I'll give him a piece of my mind...before being brutally ravished and left for dead, I imagine.
For long years have wargs struggled with the quick judgement of men and the devilry of one or two individuals in their race. Take, for example, Boris. Boris was a Transylvanian warg of the short haired variety who lived for years in an old castle overlooking the village of Schmertkin. He held that little village his own, and the villagers loved him. He was kind, loving, and cared for the children. Little did the inhabitants on Schmertkin realise that by night Boris would sneak into the village and steal a baby, to use for his own filthy purposes. The child would then mysteriously reappear at a later date in its own bed, apparently none the worse.
Boris worked his foul web of deceit for years, until one day he made a mistake- he chose a victim who was old enough to be aware of what was happening. When that child got home he told his parents of the abhorrent acts of Boris, though they would not suffer their son's tales, and he was exiled to the barren lands surrounding Schmertkin.
It was there that the boy met another warg- Albus. Albus was the older brother of Boris and knew that the child spake the truth. He knew that the villagers must be shown the truth and so he tricked them into following him- disguised as Boris- into the castle. Albus then disappeared, allowing the young lad to lead the villagers to the dungeon where there were no less than three babies, chained and bound to the wall. When Boris burst in the villagers were in a blind rage, realising the story of the boy to be the truth, and they did attack Boris with pitchforks and scythes so that the fell beast was overcome and there, in his own dungeon of disrepute, he drew his last breath. At that Albus entered, coming to congratulate the villagers and thank them for destroying this open sore upon the fair visage of Schmertkin. The villagers, however, had already made their minds up about wargs, and so they did pounce upon Albus with great fury and vengeance, ripping out his eyes and setting his head upon a stick.
The young lad saw this and was filled with sorrow, asking of the villagers: 'Do you not realise this was your saviour, and my friend?' The mob was incited, and as they turned on the lad they did say: 'Don't you hear him? He's in cahoots with these creatures of oblivion. We shall send him to the abyss with his fell companions!' And so the crowd attacked the boy, setting a slipknot around his neck and hanging him from the highest point of the castle.
Shortly after this the black death gripped all of Transylvania in its icy fist. In that fell winter of 1864 every last son and daughter of Schmertkin died, and the village is now nought but a memory, and the castle has gone to ruin. A lesson, surely, to those who would quickly judge an entire race upon the acts of one mad creature.

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 05-03-2004 at 04:52 PM.
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #69
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Ai Eru Illuvatar! What a tragety!!!

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #70
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

That is indeed a most sorry tale of the weakness of Men, and indeed Wargs. I wonder, of all the races in Middle-earth, are Men the closest to Wargs? Of course, they are in general far less powerful than Wargs, but both races have similar tendencies to fall under the darkness.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:17 AM   #71
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

That's an intriguing point you make, Eomer. I think what you have hypothesised is quite close to the truth.
Here at the warg appreciation thread we are quite aware of the shortcomings of some wargs in character: their tendency to be drawn to the darkness and their lust for power. However, these wargs are few and far between, and represent a tiny minority of the vast and great race of wargs. We report their cases for we are a subjective organisation. We want people to learn and make up their own minds as we did.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #72
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Good reply Samwise. It is indeed true that, though tendencies of Men and Wargs can be similar, the proportion of Men and Wargs who act upon evil inclinations is hugely different.

Perhaps Wargs are far more fairly compared with the Valar?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #73
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
A truely interesting veiw, Eomer of the Rohirrim. I apologize to you all for seeming to have disappeared, but I was ill with the flu and could not answer to the summons that cry out for retribution on behalf of all Warg-kind. While I was confined to my hobbit-hole as a result of my flu, I was thus inspired to composed a poem in honor of Dirdun.

The Lament of Dirdun

Hail Dirdun,
Mighty among Wargs
Troll-hewer and
Nobelest of Nobles
He with his kin
the West Dirdunings,
Wandered off afar
In lands unknown
Aided by Elves
Fairest of friends
There at Weathertop
Hewed by Easterlings
Thus Dirdun was slain by evil hands
There died many a warg
Innoccent and pure
Broken by the sword
Rangers of the Dunedain
Mourned the loss
of what passed

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #74
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Nice prose, Ravenhill. Tell me, which part of the Shire do you hail from? I have a tendency to roam, but maybe I know your hobbit hole. Perhaps I could pop in for a cup of tea or see to your garden?
I think that to draw a link between the Valar and wargs is perhaps tenuous, but not without merit, Eomer. Certainly I think we must realise that wargs are not as powerful as the Valar. If they were would they submit themselves at all? However, as you point out the wargs are mighty as compared to their peers, and a few of them have chosen to tread the path of darkness.
I feel that wargs are probably as powerful or maybe slightly less so than the Maiar. I do not think a single warg could challenge Sauron, but I think an army of wargs marching upon Barad-Dur would surely put the fear into the heart of the Red Eye. A fair fight, if we choose to define it in such terms, would probably be a warg and a balrog.
One interesting question which arises regarding wargs is that Bombadil like enigma of why they did not take a more active role in the War of the Ring?
I'd just like to point out now that all my opinions are rebuttable, and I look forward to hearing counter arguments or comments.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #75
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Before we answer the question "Why did the (good) Wargs not take a more active role in the War of the Ring" we must first ask an estimate of how many Wargs were alive in Middle-earth at the time.

As far as I can tell there were not very many. It is also unclear where they resided. I don't think that Wargs lived in large groups so it is my guess that there were a considerable, if scattered number of Wargs all over Middle-earth.

Perhaps they didn't consider the War to affect them too much?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:41 AM   #76
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I find it unlikely that they didn't live in groups, Eomer. The warg, after all, is a pack animal- highly sociable and intelligent. While the groups may not have been the huge collections that were once known in ME, I feel the groups would have been sizeable, perhaps about 12 adults.
I think it unlikely that wargs felt the War to be unimportant or not affecting them. The warg, after all, has the tremendous gift of foresight, and wargs are counted amongst the wise. However, the same could be said of Tom Bombadil or the eagles, I guess.
Perhaps it is fair to say that wargs were quite simply afraid of the consequences of the War, and thus decided to lie low. It may be slightly ignoble, but it seems reasonable.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #77
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

I only said that I thought they wouldn't live in large groups. Rather small well-organised groups.

Perhaps Wargs were involved in furious fighting away from the north-west of Middle-earth, and thus the stories are not told in The Lord Of The Rings. A shame I think. We could probably make some tales of the unsung heroes of the War of the Ring.

Pray tell readers, does anyone know how the Warg Rider met his doom? That is a tale I would love to hear. I wonder if he was present during the War of the Ring.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #78
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

That's a question which has puzzled many a greater mind than mine. Few know, and they are reluctant to tell. It is with a great price that the true tale of the Warg Rider is learned, and I for my part have lost much.
The story of the Warg Rider's demise shall be told in this thread soon, but not yet. I shall go back and refresh my mind- though it shan't take much, the imagery is burned into my sub-concious- of the exact facts.
On an aside, Eomer, you may be interested that your foresight is as clear as ever as regards the maiden-folk. You know of what I speak.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:47 AM   #79
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Do I? In that case it must be burrowed deep in the nether regions of my cerebral cortex for I do not know what you speak of Samwise.

This tale of the Doom of the Warg Rider sounds spine-tingling. I can't wait to hear it. Please Samwise, take your time to compile the story and I'm sure it will be phenomenal.

I myself am compiling a happy little tale of Warg 'magic'. Men and Hobbits tend to call the strange arts of the Elves 'magic', and Wargs are quite similar to the Elves in that respect. Warg 'magic' is not really like Elf 'magic' however, and this makes me wonder whether Wargs and Elves have had much contact with each other throughout the ages. If not (as I am suggesting) it appears that Wargs were not around in Valinor when the Elves of Middle-earth were.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #80
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Narya

Apologies for the lengthy time I am taking to complete my promised tale. As I was compiling it, I took a sharp, unexpected turn into gloomier waters. So I'll try again, and perhaps I'll end up with two tales: one gloomy and the other happy.

Isn't it funny how those two traits intermingle when talking about Tolkien's works in general and particularly Wargs.