The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #321
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

And so the Official Greatest Thread of All Time* breathes once again.

Once agian, Nilpaurion, your post is worthwhile and very educational. It has been too long since I have delved deep into the great lore of wargs.

In just over one week I shall be leaving for India, where some of the greatest wargs of all time have resided, such as the mighty Rajhamar. I shall tell his tale in due course.

*~ As voted for in a recent Channel 4 poll**

**~ This may be untrue
Old 06-07-2005, 05:10 AM   #322
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Ah, yes. India.

Some of the great Wargish influence crossed the oceans of the world from that lovely country.

I expect a great tale of Wargishness from you after the trip--which we'll surely get.

Bon voyage! A safe trip!
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #323
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up I have returned!

After much time away, (darn school ), I have come back to this most excellent of threads.

Welcome to everyone new, I'm having trouble keeping track.

Wonderful stories Samwise and Eomer, in keeping with the greatest traditions of the thread.

Samwise- A wonderful site. I see that many people are turning into darkness and rejecting the mighty Wargs. As they said, may God help them.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #324
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well, Fingolfin, you may not believe this but just yesterday the good horsemaster and I were enjoying the fine ambiance which only the Archibald Simpson can offer when that very subject came up. It is unbelievable, as you aptly pointed out, that there are those who cannot- perhaps will not- accept wargs as the wondrous creatures that they are.

Anyway, good to see the old faithful return to that great altar they call The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #325
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Greetings Fingolfin! Verily, we thought you had been captured by the Winged Wargs. Glad to see that you are alive and well.

Samwise, where's the link to your site? I must see it again!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #326
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Update 1:
15 June 2005
I am at Heathrow airport. My connecting flight allowed me much time to prepare for my task.I have learnedmuch of the elusive wargs of the mountains who abide in India. Unfortunately I must now make my check-in.
Stay strong, brethern.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #327
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

I am very greatful that the mighty winged Wargs let me live at all. They probably had mercy on me only because I contribute to this thread.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 AM   #328
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Update 2:
28 June 2005
Greetings, Warg enthusiasts. I write to you from a town known as Mysore in S.India. It is a place famous for it's magnificent Maharaja's Palace and ancient zoo. I am happy to report that both of these places were of interest.

The Maharaja's Palace housed one of the finest collections of taxidermy I have ever seen, From Bengal tiger to Asian elephant I witnessed them all. Little, however, would prepare me for the sight to be seen in the very centre of the palace. There, in an inner sanctum, was a Great Grey Asian Warg. Legend tells that he was the steed of Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction. He certainly looked it. He was about 8ft at the shoulder and perhaps 12ft long- nose to tail. I asked the guards if he could tell me more, but unfortunately the language barrier was, as is so often the case, my bitter nemesis. Unfortunately cameras are forbidden in the palace also,and so all I have is sweet memory.

The zoo was not, however, so encouraging. In one of the cages was a striped hyena, those most famous of nature's cacklers. Beneath this creatures English name on the sign, however, lay a disturbing Latin translation: Grandus Wargus Stripi. Peter Jackson, where will your mind-melting stop?

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 07-01-2005 at 08:27 AM.
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #329
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Update 3:
1 July 2005
Having now arrived in Bangalore I feel this great sprawling mass of concrete could be the least conducive site to my search. This teeming metropolis is home to nigh on 8 million people, and well we know that the great Warg and man are loathe to share the same territory.

Whilst wandering around the city, however, I did find that there is a large and well-stocked library just off the bussling MG Road. I was only able to spend a few all-too-short hours in that wonderful place, but I am hopeful that it shall yield many results in my search for Warg knowledge.

So I shall go, much rest is needed in this warm and stifling environment. Tell me, though, fellow Warg-appreciators, why do you not post? I long to hear your tales of Warg related tom-foolery.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #330
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Do you suppose there might be a female Warg named Arlene? On my very first visit to Florida, I managed to get in the way of a tropical storm of that name and couldn't help but wonder if a flurry of Warg activity might stir up something of that nature...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #331
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sighting

I met a Warg at the Summer Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts in London.

He was larger than a horse, prodigiously hairy, and iron-black. I knew I'd found one of the legendary beasties. An outgoing sort, he introduced himself first. I put my (somewhat rusty) Old Wargish skills to use.

"Grrrrrollorcrrr," he remarked. "Hargrrrrrakgrrrr grrr snarrrrrgrrlll."

"I know," I answered. "What do these young artists think they're doing nowadays."

He shook his gory locks wisely. "Grrgshhhgrrrrrk. Gr-hshssss r Borrrrroundoun."

I gasped, realising that my companion was none other than the famed Warg Chieftain Boroundoun the Urbane, of Albany, the most revered Warg in all Sourthern Anglia, and of good strong Caledonian descent. He was also rather a well-known art critic, and contributed a regular column to a magazine on twelth-century Wargish ceramics.

Knowing that this was an opportunity but rarely to be missed, I introduced myself in turn.

"Anguirel, sword of Maeglin Lomion Eolion, at your service."

"Grrrrk yurrrrrrrgrrk rrrrrtgarthrrgh," quoth he (the traditional reply "at yours and your bones').

We had a thoroughly interesting chat and he mentioned the name of a family of rather refined Wargs living in Florence, one of whom had married his nephew, when I told him I was heading there.

The upshot is that I will endeavour to bring back many a gem of Italian Wargish lore when I return (if I return) in four weeks' time.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #332
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Well Esty, some extremely powerful Wargs can indeed influence weather conditions. I would not be overly surprised (though I would be highly interested) in exploring the possibilities of Wargs being responsible for such dangerous conditions in Florida; tornados, etc. By the way, welcome to the Appreciation Thread! I don't know how familiar you are with the many pages of Warg-related discoveries, tales and legends but some posts simply demand to be read over and over.

Hail and well met Samwise! I do apologise for not commenting on your fascinating diary. Rest assured it is because I have had little to say, at least little of much interest. I was most interested in the naming of the hyena. This discovery could set many minds to rest, not least that of The Saucepan Man who (and we here at The Thread can all appreciate) has a particular distaste for Jackson's Wargs.

Keep up the good work in your fact-finding mission, and I hope you are enjoying yourself as much as I suspect you are.

EDIT TO ADD: Anguirel, I envy ye! To actually encounter a Warg in this day and age is so very rare. Even those Wargs of prominence are notoriously hard to charm out of hiding. I wonder what the future of Man and Warg holds, the winds may be changing.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 07-01-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #333
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Indeed, I feel that the tornadoes in this area last year were caused by the mighty wrath of the Winged Wargs in the area. Luckily they have been merciful so far this year.

Anguirel, where did you learn Old Wargish so well? I've only ever picked up a few words myself. And I quite agree with the tastes of Chieftan Boroundoun the Urbane.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #334
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Update 3:
7 July 2005

Having spent the last week in the various libraries, gossip taverns and assorted hell-holes of Bangalore I am glad to now return to my hosts' home and spend the remaining few days in India reading and collating all that I have learned.

Fellow Warg lovers, I cannot enthuse to you enough about the shher, unfettered joy which one may derive from spending several hours in a progressively deteriating state of sobriety discussing with a Brahmin (sp?) the great and wonderful creature that is known as the Warg. This man, his name was Rajinpur Khamar, told me of the great Hindu legends concerning Wargs, and how most uneducated Hindus believed them to be the chariot of demons. He, however, was an enlightened individual belonging to the Dhistar caste, who realised Wargs as the wonderous deities they truly are.

Anyway, my quest draws nigh to its conclusion, and so now I must go and sample more fine Indian foods and liquers, for this type of living is simply not possible at home.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #335
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

I saw we are now sponsoring dancing spawn of ungoliant. Eomer, how did you manage to rent that sig space?

By the way Samwise, Brahman is spelled like so.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #336
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

That is most interesting, regarding both your points, Fingolfin. It is remarkable that I spent a month in India and didn't pick up on that spelling!

So Eomer, pray tell how you managed the feat of sponsoring a downs member- moreso one who has never posted on this illustrious thread?

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 07-21-2005 at 02:42 PM.
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #337
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Actually, I think it can be spelled both ways, so both you and my brother are right, Samwise . Seeing as the i/second a is a schwa, and the word is being used outside of its narive language, both are probably equally acceptable. Now I will let this thread get back to its original puropose of the glorification of wargs and butt out of my little brother's territory.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #338
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Hail, and well met, Orominuialwen! Please, make no apologies for posting on this thread. We are always glad to see new...um...faces. And believe me, the only thing I enjoy nearly as much as the glorification of Wargs is defending that fairest of tongues: English!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #339
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

So good to have you back Samwise! And well met Orominuialwen! Please stick around and muse through the pages of Warg lore we have hither gathered.

About the sponsoring: This dancing spawn of ungoliant, a fair and beloved friend of the Barrowdowns, offered space for rent. And I couldn't very well pass up such a grand opportunity of free publicity now could I? The fee shall be paid out of my own pocket so don't worry your little socks; I won't badger you for donations (although donations are rarely turned down).

Let us spread the word!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #340
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Well Eomer, thanks to your renting out of dancing spawn's signature space, I have finally decided to take a look at your Warg thread. I always thought the Wargs were far more graceful then PJ made them appear, but it never occured to me to join your thread. But I must say, very nice. Very nice indeed. I have only read the first page, but I look forward to reading the rest and hearing of all your tales involving Wargs.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #341
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Hail and well-met Kitanna! It is always lovely to share these ancient tales with new faces. I am sure the entire thread will keep you amused for many days and weeks. And may I congratulate you on having a noble Warg in your avatar.

Maybe it's time we dug up some more lore...

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 07-22-2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Wargs
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #342
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
This post is dedicated to Eomer... and to Wargs, of course

Quote:
So Eomer, pray tell how you managed the feat of sponsoring a downs member- moreso one who has never posted on this illustrious thread?
Well, it is time for me to correct this horrible abuse.

I just have to wonder your great knowledge about wargs! I'm proud to be invited (or pressed *coughSamwiseGamgeecough*) to participate your discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
I seem to recall a reference in the Book of Extra-Lost Tales that there was an alliance between the Wargs and the Gondolindrim.
I haven't read Extra-Lost Tales but I definitely remember and extract from the Undiminished Tails that would support the consept of an alliance of Gondolindrim. It's quite long but I thought you'd be interested to read it. Here it is:

"I have always known the storm would come...
Listen now, my young ones
This not a story I tell
of midnight, moon and sun...

Are you ready to walk the forbidden road
learn again what we tried to forget
The dark can now take over you

We have a common past, an ancient bond
The people once broke
We would only take what we need,
They would harvest our weak,

But they hunted us all,
We ended the last of them, thus far, ten lifetimes ago
In hopes of healing the sore, but the war still went on

Preying for the moon,
Hiding for the day
These might be our last times
I ain't gonna see you taken away...

Heading for the dawn
Of our way of life
You're welcome to give it your best try...
Look me in the eyes, oh, wolver
This ain't your fairy tale...

It took us many years to teach them
How to cry wolf
We made the people serve the purpose
Those ignorant fools... my young ones!

Teach the ones below you something you've learned.
And learn from the ones above you
Fear is your deepest wisdom
For these last days...

The ones who seek justice,
will pray for it all their lives... They can
and they will skin us all one day...
oh can you hear them cries As far as
the man can run from us we're following
the trail of blood So hunt my
young ones, the pack they have always feared is back

On your last day, remember, we never die
death does not exist for us.

They don't fear the wolf, but the wild within
no glory to the way this must end
This is a story I told
Unfolding before you.
"

The author of this uses "Sonata Arctica" as his pen name. Could this mean that these lines were written as early as in the First Age during the crossing of Helcaraxë?

If we can trust in the Undiminished Tails, the reason for the cracking of the alliance was Men's greed and will to dominate Wargs (which has been proved impossible by all of you).
Quote:
the reason Gondolin fell was that the Wargs were delayed from coming to their assistance as they were guarding Elwing and Silmaril's journey to the sea.
Although you said that you're quite certain about this, I think that we should consider the option that the Wargs did this intentionally.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #343
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

So it is, we should never put blind faith in the Wargs. Great evil have they performed over the milennia. But still, have not Wargs suffered slander that no other race has suffered? The history of Middle-earth itself is designed to halt their progress. That is why the study of Wargs is not for the light-hearted, or the easily-swayed.

Good research dancing spawn, and I would welcome you to the thread but I think you may already have visited a while back? I forget. If not then hail and well met!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #344
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Aw, come on dancing spawn, you know you wanted to anyway! Also, I must extend the hand (paw?) of greeting to Kitanna also. For a long time the horsemaster and I have tended to this thread as a mother and father (but which one is which? ), and so it is with great joy and not a complete absence of tears in eyes that I welcome new posters. I hope you will continue to muse with us long and with much prosperity.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #345
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
And may I congratulate you on having a noble Warg in your avatar.
It has taken weeks for me to find one that I truly liked. I looked at many Warg avatars and none struck me. Then I found this one and without a moment of delay I had it as my new avatar.

In other Warg news, I am quite convinced my friend is the keeper of a Warg, but she would never admit such a thing.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #346
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
The Wargs were also not present when the Feanorians sacked the Havens, because they were busy holding off the massive host of Morgoth that was coming against them. A greater threat than the Feanorians, but Elrond WAS very attached to his mother...

I'm pretty sure this is the case. The Book of Extra-Lost Tales IS written in an obscure branch of Nandorin, so it's devilishly hard to be certain what they are saying, but this seems to be the conclusive explanation.
I've been doing a bit more research into this branch of Warg history, and there seems to have been a bit of a misunderstanding at the time of the destruction of Beleriand.

As everybody knows, the Edain under Elros pretty much all removed to Numenor at this time, thus leaving behind Middle-earth and the Wargs for many long years.

However, it seems that Numenor was originally not intended for Men at all, but was- in fact- intended by the Valar to be the reward of the Wargs, whose part in the War of Wrath was, naturally, much greater than that of Men.

As a result of this mysterious misunderstanding, the Men of Numenor and the Wargs were somewhat estranged. Indeed, the Faithful of Numenor were not originally those loyal to the Valar, but those loyal to the Wargs as well. It wasn't until later, when the Numenoreans and the Valar fell out that the Faithful became allies of both.

The Wargs, in fact, were all but ready to intervene and squash Sauron when Ar-Pharazon landed in middle-earth. In fact, the reason the Numenoreans met no evil army was because the orks and them were off fighting the Wargs- unsuccessfully, I might add.

The Wargs, in a spat of spitefullness occassionally seen even among these benificent creatures, sadly allowed Sauron to live- thus allowing him to escape their grasp and flee to Numenor.

More can be said on Second Age history of the Warg-Numenorean relations, but the Awfullabeth is awfully hard to decipher, being written in a mazelike series of Haradric Metaphors. Improperly translated, it appears as a recipe for edible cement (Which, by the way, doesn't turn out as promised. Trust me, I know!).

I'll say more when time allows...

~Aspiring Warg Scholar - Formendacil~
Old 07-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #347
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Please, Formendacil, do not underrate yourself. You are no mere aspirer to Warg knowlege, but an esteemed purveyor thereof. Once again I am intrigued, fascinated and yet unsuprised by your revalations. As I learn more and more about Wargs and their great ways I become more and more convinced that almost everything ever done or said by anyone is anti-Warg propoganda. Some feel I have become paranoid and dellusional in my outlook. To them I say: BOO!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #348
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee
Please, Formendacil, do not underrate yourself. You are no mere aspirer to Warg knowlege, but an esteemed purveyor thereof.
But can anyone truly claim anything more than aspirations where Wargs are concerned? These marvellous, mysterious, magnificent creatures transcent human understanding. I may consider myself an accomplished scholar in their historical relations with Man, but can I truly claim to fathom their inner being?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #349
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

A fair point, my esteemed peer. Even the greatest of Warg scholars can never truly grasp how deep, wide and high the glory of the Warg is.
Quote:
If all the sky were parchment, and the oceans filled with ink,
if every blade of grass a quill, and every man a scribe,
yet still though each had one thousand years the sky could not contain,
the deeds of Wargs and all the joy one gains from knowing them.
By the Unknown Poet
Old 07-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #350
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I have now (finally) read through this fascinating thread from beginning to end and feel I must post my admiration for those who have taken such time and effort to search through the history of both worlds to find the truth behind wargs. I am also incredibly jealous of those such as Fingolfin who have had the (possibly somewhat mixed) belssing of meeting such amazing creatures.

I had always felt a little off about PJ's interpretation of the wargs but I never realised quite how wrong he had got it! Although as I recall from a couple of pages ago, Neurion did find some evidence for their predilection for jumping off precipices .

Now whilst reading this thread my sister was hanging over my shoulder demanding an explanation for my interminably long time on the computer. When I told her of what I was reading she said, and I quote, "What, those hyena things in the movie?" I then realised quite how into this I had become as I proceeded to tell her of the history of the wargs and their shameful treatment by the biased writers of history (and berated her for using the word movie when she is, in fact, English). Needless to say by the end of my diatribe she was cowering in a corner professing her love of wargs and all they entail.

I will keep a keen eye out for wargs from now on. I am going to Spain in the summer and I believe Eomer that you said this was quite a hotspot for warg knowledge so if I find any I will of course inform you.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #351
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Welcome Kath and thank you to everyone for breathing new life into the Appreciation Thread.

Your powers of persuasion are mighty Kath (and bonus points for that 'movie' deal). Indeed, Spain is a country where Wargs are held in the highest esteem. Not by all, of course, but if a man ever tried to organize an anti-Warg march in Spain then he would likely be ripped apart by frenzied Warg enthusiasts. Whereas in Britain such marches are held almost weekly. Fact.

This also explains the great love and admiration felt for Wargs in South America. In fact, it is probably only in Hispanic countries, much of Africa and a hefty section of Asia where Wargs are truly loved. People differ from place to place, obviously.

Formendacil, that was inspiring stuff you presented and I hope to comment on it before too long. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #352
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe After exhaustive (and exhausting) research . . .

I found this tale in one of the manuscripts woven by Vairë in the Halls of Mandos.

Yondaimë and the Kyuubi

Contrary to popular belief, the winged Dragons were not the greatest of Morgoth's monsters. The title rightfully belongs to the Kyuubi, a powerful Ainu--originally a Maia of Oromë--in the form of a nine-tailed Warg. Yet the Kyuubi did not issue from the pits of Angband, for he saw the victory of the Host of Valinor. As Eönwë and his warriors descended into the Halls of Morgoth, he fled to the east of East, near the ancient region of Hildórien.

In that region was a little village named Konoha, where dwelt the remnant of the Edain who refused the summons of Morgoth. They saw the onslaught of the giant Warg, and they were seized with fear. But their leader, Yondaimë, said to them, "Fear not, for he shall not ravage your home while I yet live." So he went on to face the Kyuubi in the forest surrounding Konoha, and their dreadful battle began.

The Warg mocked the Man, saying, "Foolish one, weakest of Men, and they least of all that speak, will you now dare to battle the great Kyuubi?"

Yondaimë said naught in return, but summoned the giant frog Gama Bunta, who dwelt in the deeps of Cuiviénen. Then, riding upon his steed, he charged upon the Kyuubi, yet the Warg leaped away, and with one of his tail he swept the legs of Gama Bunta from under him. The frog of Ulmo fell to the ground, and Yondaimë's body was broken beneath him. Knowing that his death was near, Yondaimë prayed to Eru, "Might I still the mighty beast that dares to destroy our estel. Eru give me strength!"

And Eru, from beyond Arda, hearkened to his prayer, and he sent Mandos to Yondaimë. "The spirit of the Kyuubi you may send to my halls," he said, "yet only if you take him there. Then you must depart the world, for none of the mortals who see my halls return ever to the mortal lands, save Beren, who had a fate apart."

Yondaimë consented, and, departing his body, he wrested the spirit of the Kyuubi from his body, and brought him to the Halls of Mandos, where none can escape, neither Ainu, nor Elf, nor mortal Man. Upon the completion of his task, he left Arda, and was never seen again, noblest of mortal Men.

Here are the pictures of some of the tapestries that depict the dread battle:

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-24-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #353
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Kyuubi has rather large ears for a Warg. It imust be from the corruption of Morgoth.

Welcome spawn, Kitanna, and Kath. And welcome back Formendacil and Nilpaurion. I am glad we are attracting so many new people, and old ones are coming back. It must be the pull that the mighty Wargs exert on us all.

Alas I feel my sister Oromin will not be coming back She only came to correct me.

We have been having severe weather lately. Perhaps the Wargs are feeling wrathful.

Last edited by High King Fingolfin; 07-25-2005 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
High King Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #354
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Interesting, Fingolfin, that you should mention the Wargs having an influence on the weather. For longer than your young mind can ever begin to imagine the debate has raged on about whether or not Wargs can influence weather systems and perhaps even exert their wrath upon others with bad weather. There have been many esteemed subscribers to this theory. Dr. Alain Dupoincarre, that most emminent French Warg expert, for one, as well as Lance Corporal Billiam Fitzgennings, the British officer who devoted his later life to the study of Indian Wargs.

I, however, have never held to this theory. As mighty and all-transcending as Wargs are, I have never come across anything which would lead me to believe they have power over the weather. Furthermore, in knowing of the existence of that most infamous of creatures, the Demon of Weather, I know that little metreological activity occurs without his express permission, which he is loathe to give.

But, pray tell, fellow Warg-lovers, what are your views?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #355
Formendacil
Dead Serious

It seems unlikely to me that any creature such a Warg would CONTROL the weather, persay, when they are built to withstand anything it may throw at them. Consider the wonderous insulation and heating factor of a Warg's fur, and the marvellous self-cooling abilities of his reflective sheen and cardiovacular system. T'would seem to me that any creature such a Warg, far from controlling the weather, would sit through whatever it may give, to the grievance of its enemies. Are not Wargs, after all, found in all climates, from mountain to desert to prairie? Although they DO seem to favour some climates more than others, but that is a cultural matter, methinks.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #356
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I concur wholeheartedly,Formendacil. A Warg is, after all, such a great, noble, wondrous and beautiful beast that something such as the weather is to him fickle and unimportant. One would do well to remember the words of David Hume:

Quote:
"Logic is to a Warg what a bubble is to you or I. It is an imaginary thing, there one moment yet gone the next. A Warg could reach out to catch this bubble, but it would only burst. And so he ignores it, allowing it to plot its own haphazard course and continue ever onward to its own unwitting doom" ~ David Hume in Wargs: a considered commentary thereon
I feel it perfectly reasonable to extend Hume's excellent reasoning to the realm of weather, and to conclude that, as my learned friend has said, that a Warg would rather than lack the capacity to control the weather simply lack the interest.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #357
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Of course, any being who set out to wrest control of weather would rightly be considered evil. Not unlike the Numenoreans challenging the Valar. Some things are just not meant to be.

But we have made mention of Sorcerer Wargs in The Thread before. The conjuring of a storm is most certainly not an unusual occurence in the history of Middle-earth. Morgoth did it all the time. And Wargs have been reported to meddle in this evil. Fallen Wargs, of course. True Wargs know that they have a place under Eru (or so is commonly believed).

A feisty tale Nilpaurion, of the stuff of ancient legends.

Formendacil, the truth behind Numenor is startling. Long have we known that the Elves do not love Wargs, but to deceive them (and indeed the Valar) in fixing it so that Men could have the island is a treachery the magnitude of which is rarely seen in Arda. Men - such unworthy children. The idea that they could coast through the First Age so and then be rewarded thusly, why it makes my blood boil. Morgoth must have been laughing his head off on his dark throne.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #358
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Formendacil, the truth behind Numenor is startling. Long have we known that the Elves do not love Wargs, but to deceive them (and indeed the Valar) in fixing it so that Men could have the island is a treachery the magnitude of which is rarely seen in Arda. Men - such unworthy children. The idea that they could coast through the First Age so and then be rewarded thusly, why it makes my blood boil. Morgoth must have been laughing his head off on his dark throne.
It seems that in fact there WERE a few Wargs who made it to Numenor before the Edain (being better sailors, in a pinch). These lived a secretive and closeted life in the west, about Andunie, where they were safeguarded by the Faithful. Unlike the Elves, there have always been some Men, the original founders of the Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Society one might say, who have always sided with these great creatures. Indeed, the survival of the Faithful in the late years of Numenor, when Sauron was running amok, was due in large part to the Numenoreans Wargs.

There is more to say, but I am translating from a copy of a copy of a copy of early Gondorian history, which was itself translated each time it was copied, finally ending up in the base Black Speech (Nurnen dialect- which is heavily influenced by the speech of Khand), from around 2103 T.A. Devilish stuff.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #359
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Perhaps then there is more than one group of Wargs in my area? One being the ones I know of, and one being of the sorcerous type. I must investigate this possibility.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #360
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Two groups of Wargs in close locality to you? My goodness, I can only dream of being in such a wonderful situation! Perhaps I shall...mmmm, Wargs!

My fiancee just asked me what a Warg is. I feel I have failed you all in not telling her enough. Perhaps the only way I can rectify this is by naming my firstborn child Wargy. What a wonderful idea!