The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #361
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I didn't mean to insinuate that anybody should look at anyone in particular. More that I hope people have more solid suspicions now that the second day is complete.

Although if anybody gets funny ideas, I certainly can't complain.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #362
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
And so passes the pure, innocent, and generally wind-blown-snow-like once again. Surely you are learning from these experiences?
Turn about, fair-play and all that...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #363
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And statistically Fea - you are almost certain to be a werewolf next time........ lol

I have to say - I am fascinated byt he current game. If I understand correctly with 4 villagers and one were wolf they have to get a wolf to have a hope. If they hang another villager they will be 3-2 but the werewolves nightkill will even the score.However even if they get a werewolf leaving the score 4/1 the remaining werewolf has a chance of bagging the "cursed" villager? and they will be 3/2 again and leave the villagers with no room for error in their lynching. As the saying goes... the villagers have to get it right every time now ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #364
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
If I understand correctly with 4 villagers and one were wolf they have to get a wolf to have a hope.
Not if the Werewolves attack the Hunter and the Hunter chooses one of them as his target. So, all is not completely lost if the Villagers make the wrong choice today. But it would be looking pretty grim ...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #365
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooooh thanks I had forgotten about the hunter amidst the carnage (something to cheer the Countryside Alliance..) .... even more fascinating possibilities unfold...

Really quite glad I am not playing this one.... maybe even summary execution is better than death by Billy Joel.... although I think some of the attempts to affect rural accents deserve capital punishment alone...

Old 05-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #366
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ma bonny wee Scots accent is wi'out flaw...

Sorry...wus wi'out flaw.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #367
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Good game, good game....

but the scores on the doors favour the lupine side rather...

Congratulations to all involved for an entertaining thread but especially to the succesful lycanthropes/ lycanthropists....?

Again?

Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #368
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Congratulations to the newest members of the Victorious Werewolves. Membership fee is 200 florin (payable at the door). For an additional monthly fee of 50 solidi, werewolves will be provided with an endless stream of hapless villagers to feast upon.

Please do stop by the gift shoppe to purchase our lovely "I Just Won Barrow-Downs Werewolf And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt!!!" t-shirt (save now, they are going for only 500 denarii!!!)

Where do we sign up for the next game?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #369
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Let's just do sign-up on this thread.

I, for one, am in.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #370
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Great Game!! Even if I was on the losinng side. If ya read SaucepanMan's summary, you'll notice that I never dreamt about Nimrodel9, that is what you call dumb-luck. Count me in for the 3rd game, please.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #371
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'd like another game too. And may I suggest we discuss the game on the other thread, seeing as how it was specifically designed for the second game. We might as well talk about the ins and outs of it over there.

There's a couple of folk who need a good talking to...
Old 05-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #372
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Great game(s) you guys! Really clever stuff. I finally managed to catch up and read them both. Looks like plenty of fun, time consuming and addictive.
I want to sign myself up for the third game, too, if it's possible.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #373
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Save me one of those t-shirts, Kuru.

And I suppose I'm in for the next game, unless there are plenty of new people who want to play. After getting to stick around for a decent amount of time in game 1 and making it to the end in game 2, I wouldn't be too offended if I was asked to sit the next one out. Odds are that if I play in the next game I will be bumped off early, anyway.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #374
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I would like to play in the next game. I suspect that BW is intending to moderate it himself, but if he wants to play again he may be looking for more volunteers to moderate ...
Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #375
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

This time I think I will be able to play, if there's a spot (and it looks like there is).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #376
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
I'm in. My posting might be slightly erratic because I'm still somewhat busy, but I'm free enough to play.

I would just like to note that thanks to the first game here I got my friends to play werewolf in gmail. (And I am proud to announce that we werewolves won the first ever game with a score of Werewolves-3 Villlagers-3...unfortunately I don't think my friends will ever trust me again.)
Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #377
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
My posting might be slightly erratic because I'm still somewhat busy
I second that. I usually don't get a lot of time on the comp very consistently, so keep that in mind when you're considering my silence to be lynch-worthy.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #378
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
It was fun until I couldn't find Internet anymore...

I'll skip this next round, though I'll be back more innocent than ever!

I'm not sure if I like the RPG style of the game. It's really fun just to be yourself and to come up with inane theories as to why someone's guilty. They posted at a particular time, they said this in another thread, I don't like their avatar and the like. It's goofy, but the mods wouldn't go for it I'm sure because we have to keep the game serious...sigh.

I'm so glad I was lynched and not torn to little bits. That's the worst thing, if you get killed randomly.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #379
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I'd also like to be in the next game. And please remember I'm British, so the time zones will be a little messed up No reason to lynch me...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #380
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Unavailable to moderate WWIII

I won't be around on a regular basis for one to two weeks starting this Friday (3 June), so I can't moderate or play in the next Werewolf game. Are there any volunteers? Please PM if you would like to run the next game, and include any ideas you might have to change it up a bit. Changes are not necessary, but they can be fun.

One change I would like to insist on is this:
Quote:
The moderator is a Villager, and he/she is the one killed the first NIGHT. This is how other sites are playing the game, because it removes gives all players at least one DAY cycle to play. I always disliked that one person was automatically ejected.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #381
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ooh, good idea! And seems fair. The moderator can be the village reprobate, that way no one will feel bad about the initial killing!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #382
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Really good idea. That had been the only problem with the game, as far as I saw it.

I would volunteer to moderate, only sometimes (and Saucy can vouch for this) I become a little mixed up as regards the rules of the game.

But that shouldn't be a problem this time, so if no-one else has his/her heart set on it, I'll offer.

(As long as I don't have to be the village reprobate, Holby)

What I would consider changing is the 24 hour NIGHT. It always seemed a bit much for my liking. I think I preferred the 12 hour NIGHT in the first game. Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #383
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I'd like another shot at the game. And I agree that the 12 hour NIGHT cycle might be a bit better of an idea...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #384
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Ok, I've had a think about the times and have come to this conclusion: while the 12 hour NIGHT is far preferable for the players, it can be nightmarish for the moderator. So apologies to Saucy for implying anything; I must now admit that I too would have to use a 24 hour NIGHT. Sorry, Fordim.

I am not convinced I would want to use the Werewolf Hunter in the game. I would also prefer to bring back the option of negating any cast votes- i.e. once a vote is cast, you will be allowed to change it, as in the first game.

And remember I'm just speculating, the powers that be might suspect (with good reason) that I am not trustworthy of moderating. But if no-one else wants to do it then I'd certainly like to.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #385
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Ok, I've had a think about the times and have come to this conclusion: while the 12 hour NIGHT is far preferable for the players, it can be nightmarish for the moderator.
It can also cause difficulties when Werewolves are in completely different time zones, as occured in the recently concluded game. The Werewolves took some time getting their choice of victim to me at first, although it speeded up as the game progressed. Therefore, I think that a 24 hour longstop for NIGHT is preferable, albeit that NIGHT may last a lot less time in practice, particularly in the later stages of the game.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #386
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eomer, I don't have a problem with you moderating, but I'm very curious about the rules you were messing up, or is it some private joke between you and SaucePan Man.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #387
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Suggestion

If we'll be playing many games, perhaps a "Werewolf Recruitment" Thread should be created? This same thread could be reused for each recruitment. I say this as I'm slightly confused about where to ask to be in the next game.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #388
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Don't worry tgwbs, the different threads might confuse you initially but rest assured that they are both scoured for participants. You are definitely in the next game, sir.

Holby, let me explain what I did (confession). When they decided to lynch Nimmy, they did it very quickly, thus making the day very short. I had come onto the internet anticipating a whole day's worth of detective work, and I didn't realise that Saucy had already started a night. Well, I did notice, it's just that it didn't register with me that I couldn't discuss anything on the thread! I promptly posted when I should have been 'sleeping' or, as it happened, being devoured by werewolves (that poor rich merchant).

We deleted the posts but that's what I was talking about. And let that be a warning to everyone else: ALWAYS check whether it's day or night!

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 06-01-2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: clarity
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #389
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question Query

If I may, does anybody have a potential start date for the next game. It might make a difference to me being able to play. (Potential new job )
Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #390
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I'm guessing it will start very soon, either Thursday or Friday. And is a new job really better or more important than Werewolf?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #391
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd like to play if I may.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #392
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I am not convinced I would want to use the Werewolf Hunter in the game.
Why so Eomer? I thought that the additional secret roles worked very well. Even though neither the Hunter nor the Cursed were identified until the very end, their presence certainly made the Werewolves think about their victims a lot harder than they might otherwise have done. Take a look at the phantom's Random Thoughts page if you don't believe me (link on the Werewolf 2 thread). Also, the secret roles give more players something to do (or at least think about) in addition to simply being a Villager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer again
I would also prefer to bring back the option of negating any cast votes- i.e. once a vote is cast, you will be allowed to change it, as in the first game.
Personally, I don't see what allowing votes to be retracted adds to the game. Players are free to make whatever accusations they want, and as strongly or as subtly as they want, up to the point that they vote. But it is in voting that they nail their colours to the mast, so to speak. The importance of doing so, however, seems to me to be somewhat negated by allowing them then to take it back and vote for someone else. Also, allowing votes to be retracted may encourage hasty voting and thereby stifle the to- and fro- of the discussion, which is the enjoyable part of the game for me. It also makes the moderator's job a lot more difficult ...

Of course, if you are moderating, it's up to you and I'll go along with whatever you decide.

So, will you be moderating the next game, Eomer? If so, and you intend starting tomorrow or Friday, it might be worth posting a list of those who have said that they want to play so far so that people know how many spaces, if any, there are to fill. As I recall, BW suggested that the game should have between 12 and 19 players. It would also be helpful if you could give with a definitive indication of the rule changes, timing etc that you will be applying.

Looking forward to it ...
Old 06-02-2005, 03:44 AM   #393
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Well, if I have your blessing then I'll give it a go. BW hasn't confirmed yet but if he has any objections then we'll know before the game starts.

Point noted about the Werewolf Hunter. It does add a dangerous element to all players who want to kill. And because it didn't really get going as such in the last game, we should probably give it another chance to make its mark on the 3rd game.

I am still slightly concerned about it slowing down the game; suppose the Hunter cannot choose a victim until a day after he/she is lynched, but I'm sure I could work around that. I just need a more imaginative death scene.

About the option to retract a vote, my thoughts are thus. I merely want to allow the possibility. I am by no means encouraging hasty votes and would, of course, encourage all players to think long and hard about their votes (obsess over the game like some of us do ) I know this will affect the length of the DAYS: they will last 24 hours whatever happens. But consider an example from the last game: Nimrodel_9 was lynched without being afforded the chance to defend herself. What absolute drama, had she confronted the baying mob and, with a silver tongue, persuaded the villagers to lynch someone else.

So hasty voting with the full intention of retracting the vote later will not be smiled upon, but I think the option adds more realism. It's just good etiquette not to chop and change your vote all the time.

I have been toying with the idea of introducing a new character (a witch) into the village but I haven't really worked out the details. I'll skip that for this game and if I ever come up with a good idea then I'll suggest it to the moderator of Werewolf 4.

As for role-playing, I don't have a problem with it. Everyone can pick a role much like in the last game (although you probably shouldn't be the same character!) and have some fun with it. Everyone should heed Barrow-wight's warning about role-playing getting out of hand. I thought the last game was just fine, just remember to put sleuthing before role-playing.

So Werewolf 3 will be very similar to Werewolf 2 (but maybe the villagers will win for a change!)

DAYS will last 24 hours. NIGHTS will last a maximum of 24 hours, and mabe less if all night-time activities are notified in less time.

I would like to start the game on Friday at 6PM GMT (that's 1PM EST, I believe). Remember you can always check the time I specify with the time of my post, and if I've made a mistake here then please let me know!

Until then, I would like everyone interested in playing to sign up on this thread. I'll post a list of those already signed up in a short while. And please give me your role in this Middle-earth village.

Thanks!

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 06-02-2005 at 04:21 AM. Reason: times
Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 AM   #394
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots Players

So far we have:

Kuruharan
Son of Numenor
Holbytlass
Evisse the Blue
the phantom
The Saucepan Man
The Only Real Estel
Shelob
the guy who be short
Fordim Hedgethistle
mormegil

and possibly Saurreg, although I believe you may have issue with the rules? Remember, any suggestions are welcome. If people really hate the role-playing aspect then tell me.

O, and lest I forget, the village will also include a certain Eomer of the Rohirrim. I wonder how long he'll last.....

So that's 13 of us (technically); more can play. We need some more ladies, right?

And we're probably all aware of this by now but remember to make yourself invisible.

Sign up, and let us know your role. I for one will be the village philosopher/layabout, much maligned by you hard-working folk.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 06-02-2005 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:10 AM   #395
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I shall be the merry village bard, my best friend my harp. Of course, this isn't enough to make a living, so in my spare time, I sell nutritious carrots.
I am short.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #396
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

And I shall be the village Loremaster.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #397
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
so We've a bard...and loremaster...and I was planning on being a story-teller....

...I hereby dub our village "Story Land" (too much free time? me?...what gave you that idea?)
Old 06-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #398
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

choosing our death, I mean our occupation

I shall be the cobbler, you all need shoes and repairs done 'cause of all that walking around singing and entertaining and gathering of lore.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #399
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
I am still slightly concerned about it slowing down the game; suppose the Hunter cannot choose a victim until a day after he/she is lynched, but I'm sure I could work around that.
I think the circumstances in which the Hunter could not give you their choice fairly quickly will be limited. It might delay the conclusion of the DAY/NIGHT on which it occurs slightly, but it would only happen the once.

Quote:
So hasty voting with the full intention of retracting the vote later will not be smiled upon, but I think the option adds more realism. It's just good etiquette not to chop and change your vote all the time.
Fair enough.

Quote:
... but maybe the villagers will win for a change!
The pressure is on the Werewolves to make it a hat trick. (Ai! I hope that I'm not a Werewolf now ... )

Philosopher, Bard, Loremaster, Story-teller ...

Too many high falutin' types. This Village is more like a '60s commune. It needs decent, honest, hardworking folk. Those useful members of the community who produce the necessities of life. So I shall be ...

... the Village Brewer! A cheery, hearty and friendly sort of fellow, rather wide in girth and red in the nose. Fine Barley Wine and Scrumpy Cider a speciality.

EDIT: A word of advice, Eomer. Double check everything that you send and post. It can be very easy to unwittingly give clues in what you say (for example by referring to the Hunter or the Seer as a he or she).

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 06-02-2005 at 06:18 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #400
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

posted by Holybtlass:
Quote:
choosing our death...I'm mean our occupation
I shall be the cobbler, you all need shoes and repairs done 'cause of all that walking around singing and entertaining and gathering of lore.
Hmmm, so this time you'll have your eyes ground out with a pair of your own shoes, eh?

I will be a merchant who has fallen upon hard times, unfortunately.

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 06-02-2005 at 07:17 AM.